PDA

View Full Version : Being broke

Iam
08-05-2013, 04:24 AM
Is something that really hinders my ability to dress, between food, gas, cigarettes, and saving for a new car because mine is about to be retired (92 tempo with no muffler lol), I just can't afford extensions, makeup, clothing, basically any of my feminine needs. >_> in other words, being broke sucks!

Maria in heels
08-05-2013, 04:42 AM
I think that we have all gone thru these phases at one time or another...just keep working and savings and it will all work out. I used to smoke for 25 years, so I have to tell you that if you can cut out that one thing, you could buy makeup everyday, a piece of clothing every 5 days, etc. But I have to admit...I still miss smoking. I can only imagine how many more pairs I could have had....

dominique
08-05-2013, 04:58 AM
I know that feeling all too well sigh.

Erica Marie
08-05-2013, 06:06 AM
Hon I know about broke. House payments, the typical monthly bills that never seem to go down and the price of gas that sucks our wallets dry doesnt help. BUT there are always little things you can do. Find a second hand strore like Goodwill. They have alot of really nice cloths at a fairly reasonable price. Skip the wig and if you can let your hair grow out, ita alot more realistic anyway. If you do a little at a time your stuff can pile up before you know it. Then all you need is time and a place to go. Hang in there and you will be fine.

DebbieL
08-05-2013, 07:09 AM
When I quit smoking, I used the money I saved to buy my pretty things as a reward. I did the "Freedom in 21 days" plan and had my last smoke on day 19. That was 27 years ago. My income and wardrobe have both grown substantially since then. If you don't reward yourself for positive action, in the way YOU want to be rewarded, you will quit the positive action. On the other hand if you only gratify yourself without positive actions, you won't be motivated to do the right things. The same applies to education, investments, work, and family. Let your dressing become a powerful driving force behind positive action and serving others.

Cristy2
08-05-2013, 07:14 AM
Don't knock the Temp! I drove the wheels off of one and never could keep an exhaust manifold on that thing, but I put over 300,000 on it before the engine started smoking and loosing power.

Yes, BEING BROKE SUCKS!! :) It especially sucks when there is a great sale on shoes!! :(

Tina B.
08-05-2013, 07:29 AM
Been there! not much you can do but dig in and ride it out, better days will come.

Audrey34
08-05-2013, 07:41 AM
I feel your pain Iam, I'm currently going through a pretty harsh phase financially as well. Yes, being broke sucks but I have a lot of hope and a lot of motivation to keep things going.
-Audrey

Princess Grandpa
08-05-2013, 08:04 AM
Money can't buy happiness they say. While having money is certainly no guarantee to happiness, it"s a lot easier to be happy when your not chasing rent or trying to figure out how to keep the electricity from getting shut off. It's hard to be bright and chipper when there's no food in the fridge and no way to buy more. Believe me I empathize with your plight.

Quitting smoking is one of the hardest things I have ever done. Even now four years later there are times the desire for one is almost overwhelming. At $5.00 a pack if you can manage to give it up that in itself allows for many small purchases. If you can't manage to give it up, it's very hard I know, than maybe you can dedicate just a couple of bucks each paycheck towards a piece of inexpensive make up or a new (to you) dress from a local thrift shop, you would be surprised how quickly that wardrobe can build up.

Your right. Being broke sucks!
Hug
Rita

stefan37
08-05-2013, 08:15 AM
Cut out the smoking and in a week you can buy a muffler. Depending on how much you smoke with the price of cigarettes these days it is easily a car payment monthly.

Beverley Sims
08-05-2013, 09:54 AM
Being broke sucks....
If you don't eat you don't crap and you die.
If you smoke cigarettes there is a high possibility of a shorter life.
Give up smokes, live longer and enjoy your hobbies more.
You might save a little extra money into the bargain. :)

MysticLady
08-05-2013, 10:04 AM
Is something that really hinders my ability to dress, between food, gas, cigarettes, and saving for a new car because mine is about to be retired (92 tempo with no muffler lol), I just can't afford extensions, makeup, clothing, basically any of my feminine needs. >_> in other words, being broke sucks!

Welcome too Life Kiddo.

daviolin
08-05-2013, 10:58 AM
Welcome to my world, Iam. I'm glad I splurged on girly stuff, when I was more well off. Fixed income sucks. Daviolin

kimdl93
08-05-2013, 07:03 PM
As suggested by others, quit smoking and save the money for real, and healthier, necessities!

For the record, I smoked until my father died of heart disease, brought on by years of smoking. I know quitting is hard form some people, but possible. In the past two years I have lost two brothers to lung cancer.

Tamara Croft
08-05-2013, 07:07 PM
You can afford cigarettes, you can afford nicer things. Depends what you want more, nice things, or bad smell... ill health, good health... I could go on, but I won't lecture you because I know how hard it is to quit. It's all very well people saying quit smoking, but unless you're a smoker, you have no idea how hard it is...

How about this, cut down on the cigarettes, instead of buying a pack, buy the small pack with 10 cigs in it, save that extra money, put it in a piggy bank :) Check it at the end of the week, you'll have a bit of money, smoked less cigs, half way there :)

27th Jennifer
08-05-2013, 07:22 PM
There's always ebay. I run searches and put the price limit at $5.00 and check the free shipping box. You will find a lot of fairly nice things for really cheap!

Ana

Loni
08-05-2013, 08:27 PM
i have been broke for so long i pick up pennies off the ground, just so i can say i have cash.

between the excessive taxes on my pay (37%), high rent, food, payments on a truck, car, credit cards (and the ripoff interest rates), i have dug my self a very deep hole.

but at least i know my mom is living a comfortable (in a way) life.
and i have lots of great things to ware... just no time to go, as i must work a lot of hrs.

being broke is a state of mind.

as long as you do not mind you get along.

Genny B
08-05-2013, 08:30 PM
I think there are more women smokers than men. How do they do it? I mean, how can the afford their cloths, hair, nails, and everything?

Cristy2
08-05-2013, 09:32 PM
I think they call it having a "sugar daddy". :)

MysticLady
08-05-2013, 10:16 PM
There's always ebay. I run searches and put the price limit at $5.00 and check the free shipping box. You will find a lot of fairly nice things for really cheap!

Ana

Do they sell Stogs (smokes)? :straightface:

RenneB
08-05-2013, 10:24 PM
Been there done that...... spent four years in college with nothing more than a single dress, cheap third hand wig, a slip and water balloons... it gets better... oh and no internet!!!

Work on education, training and working your way up the ladder... it gets better...

Renne.....

Carol Elizabeth
08-06-2013, 05:45 AM
Side note: When we met, my wife smoked 2 packs of cigarettes a day. I asked her to quit for me - she did - I am a non-smoker. That was over 40 years ago. Had she continued at the same smoking rate, that would have been over five hundred thousand cigarettes smoked. I doubt if she would have made it though. As is, she has survived four different bouts with cancer. She is in her 60's now and passes for much younger.

The advice about giving up cigarettes is good and I urge you to head it. If my wife had continued smoking, I doubt if she would still be with me. The economic cost would have been great, but the health risk would have cost more.

Ressie
08-06-2013, 07:41 AM
I've quit smoking many times! I try to invest my money somehow in things that will help to bring in more $. About 12 years ago I bought a digital camera so I could take pictures of stuff to sell on ebay. The camera is worthless now, but the pics helped to sell stuff at the time. As a result, I was able to make mortgage payments an credit card payments.

Cutting expenses - My car is paid for and gets good gas mileage. Still have to pay for insurance and car repairs, but I'm spending less on gas and have no car payment. Stop smoking. Stop using credit cards.

Increase income - Get a 2nd part time job, a better paying job, or come up with other ways to bring in cash like selling stuff on ebay for example. Currently I'm getting $100 a month taking care of my neighbors cats while they're gone. Not a lot, but when you're income is low it doesn't hurt.

linda allen
08-06-2013, 08:59 AM
Are you "broke" or are you "poor"? There's a difference. "Poor" means you don't have a lot of money. "Broke" means you spent all the money you have. You could make $100K a year and be broke if you don't spend your money wisely.

My parents grew up during the great depression and were very frugal. They had to be to not starve. They never got over that frugality even when they eventually were comfortable and they passed that frugality on to me.

In 1964 I earned $57.00 per week with no benefits or vacation. I had a wife and child. That ingrained frugality paid off. I educated myself, spent wisely, found myself a good, secure job with good benefits, stayed there 30 plus years, worked on weekends as a musician, and was able to retire with a paid for house and two vehicles, and no debt.

Your financial situation and your future is in your hands. You don't have to stay "broke", it's up to you.

Sarah Beth
08-06-2013, 09:26 AM
I think a lot of us can empathize with you. I don't have a lot to spend on the fem side of me. I've been wanting new shoes for over a year now but I wear a large size and they are just way to expensive.

I will say if you can give up the smoking you will after a time feel better and have that extra income for other things. I know its hard to give it up, when I quit smoking it was a whole different kind of h""l.

MysticLady
08-06-2013, 11:12 AM
Increase income - Get a 2nd part time job, a better paying job, or come up with other ways to bring in cash like selling stuff on ebay for example. Currently I'm getting $100 a month taking care of my neighbors cats while they're gone. Not a lot, but when you're income is low it doesn't hurt.

Good Job Dee. Anything helps. deliver pizzas, wash cars, mow lawns, clean toilets. Don't sit there thinking, just cause you have a degree you deserve something on a silver platter. Get Real. :D America was not built on people just sitting there, it was built on, not being ashamed to go out and bust some ass and getting your hands dirty.