PDA

View Full Version : What's in a label?

Jasmyne
08-05-2013, 06:49 PM
I'm new to the forums here, but have been finding a nice broad spectrum of views and personalities which has shown me so much more than I ever imagined possible.

I came here looking for a means of learning more about what (or should I saw 'who') I am than I figured was possible blindly walking around on my own. I've not disappointed yet.

However, I do find myself even more confused than before, asking more questions than I even thought possible to ask. This has led me on a search for greater insight into who I am. Alas, this has put in a place of finding a group of labels I'm finding makes my head hurt as I try to figure out which one applies to me.

This is probably a bad idea. I'm not some label. Yet, I can't get it out of my head to find which one fits me. What exactly am I???
Here is what I know:
1. I absolutely love to dress in woman's clothing and wear makeup. I've known this from a very young age
2. Once dressed, I very much enjoy the transformation which takes place. I see myself and think to myself how good and happy it makes me feel. I'd even go so far to say how it feels correct for me.
3. I find a tremendous amount of sexual stimulation from dressing up, even the thought of some aspects is enough for that same level of stimulation.
4. I've gone through long periods of suppressing it because there is a part of me which says its wrong. I should just be a man, as that is the plumbing I was given.

Last week I came to a realization, after months of tremendous stress, that I wanted to dress again. That thought, and the joy I experienced, made me wanted to embrace it and never let go. Unlike any time before, I now want to incorporate it more into my life, although it must only be in the privacy of my own home and around my wife for now.

My wife has even been trying to get me to dress in the last few years, but I've not because... I'm not even sure I have an answer as to why not. Perhaps because I think she sees it as a Fetish, nothing more than a very sexually exciting experience. In fact, my wife has known about it and been very accepting of it for years. As I mentioned above, she has encouraged me to dress up. For a while I think I saw it that way too (as nothing more than a fetish), but I'm starting to see it as much more the as I read increasing numbers of resources.

So, brings me back to the idea of what label do I stick on myself. Fetishist? Casual CD? Transgender? <insert your favorite label here>

I certainly don't have the answer yet, so its back to simply enjoying it as much as I can. I personally don't much like labels, yet there is a part of me which seems to be grasping for one as if I need it so I know how to proceed. Labels seem easier for people (in general) to relate to others, as if it suddenly gives us a frame of reference in which to know how they think, might act, and how best to interact with them.

TLDR - Guess I'm saying.. I don't want to be labelled, but think I need one to help me start figuring out who the heck I really am.

Tamara Croft
08-05-2013, 07:03 PM
You're Jasmyne, nuff said ;)

If you want a label, you're a crossdresser, probably with a touch of pink fog ;)

Don't worry about labels, some labels are needed, like on tins... but labeling people, what's the point?? You're just you, enjoy it, embrace it :D

Connie.Marie
08-05-2013, 07:04 PM
Jasmyne, Welcome, I'm new to this site too but been a lifelong CD. I can relate to all 4 of the points you mention. From your description, I'd say start with cross dresser and see where it goes. Realize that labels can change..

Hugs, Connie Marie

PS: You don't know how lucky you are to have a supportive wife...

Kelly DeWinter
08-05-2013, 07:05 PM
You have NO idea, the can of worms you have opened with the ...... cue shark music .... with the word 'lable'

NicoleScott
08-05-2013, 07:39 PM
Jasmyne, I could have written everything that you wrote in "Here's what I know" 1-4, at least in my younger days. After the guilt and confusion (What's wrong with me? I should just be a man.") I tried to deny the drive and purged three times. It always came back, and I accept that I'm a crossdresser, and like you, with a sexual aspect to it. Yes, male (sex) by plumbing, but gender identity and expression isn't so binary. Lucky for you to have such an understanding wife, so quit fighting yourself, embrace what you are, and have fun with it,
We're all different in some way, so there can't be a unique label for each of us. Labels are just general groupings. But if you want one, I'd say (just from what you posted) you are a crossdresser for sure, with a fetish or fetishes that drive the sexual excitement. A transvestic fetishist, or a fetishistic crossdresser. If you are able to lose your inhibitions about it and transform as the desire hits, you may discover if you have some degree of internal feminine identity.

Jasmyne
08-05-2013, 08:39 PM
...but labeling people, what's the point?? You're just you, enjoy it, embrace it :D

Exactly my current frame of mind! I'm finding a certain amount of comfort having accepted that at the very least I'm a CD and its part of me. As I embrace I'm also hoping I don't embrace too hard and have it slip from my grasp.

If you are able to lose your inhibitions about it and transform as the desire hits, you may discover if you have some degree of internal feminine identity.

Nicole, well said. I think that might be what is holding me back and making me feel uncertain to a degree; the inhibitions I'm holding onto like some bad habit from all the years of denying that part of myself.

You have NO idea, the can of worms you have opened with the ...... cue shark music .... with the word 'lable'

Kelly - Not seen enough of your other posts to know if that is all jest, or what level of seriousness is there. I'm aware the can of worms is there; I've no clue how big it might be. =)

Beverley Sims
08-05-2013, 09:06 PM
The only label I believe in is...
"Hand wash in warm soapy water". :)

kimdl93
08-05-2013, 09:12 PM
Welcome. Don't concern yourself with the notion you must be this or that. Explore who you are with your wife and expect some surprises along the way.

Leona
08-05-2013, 09:15 PM
For me, in the early stages of dressing, there was intense sexual stimulation. Now that dressing is normalized, not so much sexual intent or stimulation. I'm glad I didn't pick a label right away. :)

Do your research. Do some of it on wikipedia. :) If you want a plethora of labels to choose from, you'll find them there. And just reading about the ideas will stimulate your mind in ways you probably haven't thought of.

I still haven't picked a label. It's now much like why I say I'm an atheist: it conveniently expresses the meaning, and I don't have to spend time explaining how I feel about myself when someone else really just needs a label.

MysticLady
08-05-2013, 10:57 PM
So, brings me back to the idea of what label do I stick on myself. Fetishist? Casual CD? Transgender? <insert your favorite label here>

Who Cares, just enjoy it for what it is, too you. And , you have a cool wife:thumbsup:

Lorileah
08-05-2013, 11:55 PM
Kelly - Not seen enough of your other posts to know if that is all jest, or what level of seriousness is there. I'm aware the can of worms is there; I've no clue how big it might be. =)

It could be big...trust me :) But to help out...read the sticky at the top of the page.

Tracii G
08-05-2013, 11:59 PM
Just remember just because to like to dress it wont necessarily lead to something else.
If your wife is fine with it and she encourages you then go with it.

Marleena
08-06-2013, 12:11 AM
Where the heck is Reine? I know she loves talking about labels!:heehee:

Wildaboutheels
08-06-2013, 12:35 AM
I'm a Human. Nothing more and nothing less, and have no need or desire for any other label.

I also find them very silly at least as they pertain to CDing. There are dinosaurs who have roamed this site for years and even THEY seldom agree on all the various labels. Having a label for oneself and being able to tell someone in public, "I am a ________". What are the chances, that THEY have the foggiest idea of what that means?

Big Pharma is at least partially responsible in this push for labels because if ANY "unconventional" behavior can be labeled, THEY can produce some miracle drug/pill to "treat" it.

Your post makes it quite clear, YOU don't want a label. I get the distinct impression you think your participation here might be "easier or better" IF you choose a label?

Leona
08-06-2013, 12:39 AM
As for Wildaboutheels's last statement, I can assure you you do not have to choose a label to be here. You do, however, have to become somewhat familliar with the labels that get tossed around, or else you'll have a lot of difficulty communicating. :)

But adopt a label, you need not.

Kate Simmons
08-06-2013, 06:25 AM
If you look at the 1960's TV series "Batman" you see that everything in the Bat-cave was labeled. Batman didn't put a label on himself or Robin as they both had their own unique identities and acted accordingly. When it becomes evident who we are, no label is needed my friend. ;):battingeyelashes::)

Renee_E
08-06-2013, 06:50 AM
You can always borrow the label I use for myself. It doesn't ever have to be changed. I am "me"

BLUE ORCHID
08-06-2013, 07:39 AM
Hi Jasmyne, Labels are for cans, bottles & packages.

Tina B.
08-06-2013, 08:31 AM
Labels can be so much fun, it starts many discussions (arguments) around here. And every body gets to pick there own, and change it at will!

Princess Grandpa
08-06-2013, 08:37 AM
Some weeks ago, when I had this epiphany, I spent the next several days trying to figure out what/who I am and why. I like to understand things. /shrug. I read on another site something to the effect of "don't worry about why you do it. If you enjoy it just have fun." I have tried to adopt that philosophy and I am having fun with it.

What category I fit into was the other biggie. The prospect of a slippery slope terrified me. Like you I have a very supportive wife who is enjoying this "game" as much as I. I read the sticky about labels, acronyms etc and was ready to take on the forums. I then went out and found all kinds of posts contradicting what I have learned, challenging each other, discussing the need for or the need to not have labels and groupings. I'm not really that bright so when I got confused I went to paint my nails instead.

The question still comes up from time to time and when I find myself no closer to understanding, I just go paint my nails. Have fun with it. We may be out of the norm and regarded by some of them vanilla folks as freaks, but I'm happier as one of he freaks than I have been in my entire life

Hug
Rita

Seana Summer
08-06-2013, 12:16 PM
You're Jasmyne, nuff said ;)

:D

Amen

Life is too short to worry about to what degree you dress. You could be spending that time and energy..... Shopping!!

Jasmyne
08-06-2013, 12:52 PM
Thank you all for your comments! I'm right there with ya'll that I don't really want a label on myself, unless I find myself nothing more than a can or bottle ;) Like Princess Grandpa, I like to understand things and there is a part of me desiring everything to fit into its place; a need to see order amidst the chaos. I know it will come in time, yet it's that waiting for the heart and mind to communicate this fact for which I'm impatient.

Yes, I'm ME and I felt I had a solid grasp on that until my "revelation" last week. That revelation was welcome, has brought much joy and comfort, but it has also opened my eyes to so much more which brings a mixture of excitement and fear of where I may go and might discover about myself.