PDA

View Full Version : Oh Great! Now They Know!

Sarah L
08-11-2013, 11:53 AM
Well. They know because I told them.....

I was out a couple of weeks ago shopping as Sarah. At this point in my life, I just come and go as I please, not bothering about who might see me.

I got home and took my groceries in the house. The last trip to the car, I noticed the lady I share a driveway with was in her yard. I didn't think she saw me, but figured "What the heck."

I walked down to her house in a very pretty skirt and just started talking to her. She hadnt seen me and didn't know about Sarah (although she said there has been talk.)

Back in January, I walked across the driveway (in a skirt) in the headlights of someone visiting her after dark. Nothing was ever said, so I thought they hadnt recognized me. I guess they did!

She was very accepting. I could hear it in her voice that it didn't bother her in the least. She said I looked very happy (I was) and it seemed like she was happy for me.

And then, Last week:

I was out shopping as Sarah again. On the way home, I decided to stop and talk to the lady who cuts my hair (she is also a friend). I just walked right in wearing a pleated skirt and lace top. She has seen me dressed before but only at Halloween.
Everybody (about 5 people) just stared at me in surprise. Like an idiot I'm wondering what they are staring at.

Then she says: "What are you doing dressed like that? It's not Halloween."
She thought I was messing with her!

That's when I realized: They are staring at me because I am wearing a skirt! When you don't draw attention much, you kind of get used to not being noticed.

I explained to her (and everybody else) that I just like to dress this way. I got my haircut appointment and then she and I talked as if I weren't wearing women's clothes. She said she knew someone else who likes to dress this way.

I went home feeling pretty good. I don't get my haircut until next week. I wonder what we will talk about?

suzanne
08-11-2013, 12:01 PM
That's great! I think the proper answer to the question, " Why are you dressed that way? " Should be, "Because I like to dress this way. " And that should be sufficient. Most of the world isn't ready for that, but we can dream. Keep at it!

Sarah L
08-11-2013, 12:14 PM
That's great! I think the proper answer to the question, " Why are you dressed that way? " Should be, "Because I like to dress this way. " And that should be sufficient. Most of the world isn't ready for that, but we can dream. Keep at it!

Thanks!
I dont know how she would have reacted if she hadn't seen me dressed for Halloween. Her reaction wasn't a bad one, she was just surprised. She's okay with it, she just wasn't expecting it.

docrobbysherry
08-11-2013, 12:14 PM
Sometimes we wonder why folks stare at us. Then, I remember before I began dressing and would see the rare CD. I stared, too. I just wasn't obvious about it. I hope!?

Beverley Sims
08-11-2013, 01:26 PM
Oh! Great. Now you can get on with life. :)

Stephanie Miller
08-11-2013, 02:38 PM
Or to the "Why are you dressed that way?" question....another answer may have been "Because the blue dress I like is still at the cleaners" :)

You acted great. Nothing out of the norm. For them -"move along.. nothing to see here".

Cheryl Ann Owens
08-11-2013, 03:07 PM
I've found with some people that once they first find out, it can throw them slightly off balance because they have always perceived me as I have always presented myself in drab. But once they get over the initial "shock," if you can call it that, they'll just go on dealing with their own daily lives. Eventually it could become a "so what?" issue. Today I go to a salon for cuts and eyebrow waxing. Everyone there thinks nothing of what they initially found out about me and I just blend in. And it's SO cool!

Cheryl