PDA

View Full Version : Coming Out - Initiating The Conversation

Vallari
09-26-2004, 07:42 PM
Well, lately I have been thinking a lot about telling my parents about my cd'ing. It's been in my mind a lot more lately, and I was thinking earlier about how I would go about bringing it up.

My situation is that I live in Waco during the week to attend college, then I go to Austin (about 100mls away) and stay at my parents house until Sun, then return.

I was thinking that maybe I could leave something out for someone to find, like a top or something in my room somewhere. Then when confronted I could just go from there, but im not sure if i would just be better bringing it up myself. My mom and I have talked about my interest in cd'ing before but i have not told her that i actually do it :o . My mom is pretty understanding but my dad may have more trouble with it i think, hes never really shown a good attitude towards gay people, crossdressers, etc. :( He may be joking when he talks that way, but i cant tell.

Im not sure if coming out to them about it will make things better or worse, but I think in the long run the good things will outweigh the bad things at least.

I was curious what advice you gals might have or what you did to come out to someone. Any help would be greatly appreciated! :o

Marianne
09-26-2004, 09:04 PM
What Julie said.

Leaving lingerie around the place evokes a compleyely different reaction (how did he sneak a girl in here?).

Finding a good article from the links is completely different, especially since a good one can divert/defuse the 'natural' reaction to call for the men in white coats.

It's still a BIG thing tho, a gamble. Not something to do lightly.

As a parent myself, I can see a part of it, but then again, I'm extremely open minded and understanding.

Big big decision for ya sis, read some of the links, and in the end, only *you* can decide if you are willing to open this 'can of worms'.

For what it's worth tho, you have my support.

Wenda
09-26-2004, 09:14 PM
my reaction when I found my son's stuff was to tell him to quit it because we (he and I) are too big to make credible women. I had not dressed in several years at the time. The biggest issue I had with him though, was that he was stealing lingerie from his mom and his sister. I told him if he wanted to wear lingerie, he needed to buy it himself. Reverse situation. He and I had dinner and drinks yesterday, and I intended to tell him about my 're-awakening' but the situation never seemed right. I agree with the others. I think if you approach your mom the right way, and ask for her advice, especially on how to inform your dad, that makes her an ally, and you can go from there. She probably knows. good luck. wenda.