PDA

View Full Version : Best and worst CD movie survey

Ellie52
08-13-2013, 07:29 PM
I woiuld like to find the best and worst CD movies of all time. Can we do a survey to find which movie is rated best and which is worst.

3 points. Kinky Boots. UK movie about a shoe factory in the UK that almost went bankrupt until they found a niche market. Based on a true story.

2 points. Rocky horror picture show

1 point. Priscilla queen of the desert.

Ellie

Jennifer in CO
08-13-2013, 07:44 PM
Freebie and the Bean.... a CD you love to hate

Wildaboutheels
08-13-2013, 07:56 PM
As best as I can recall, I have only seen one. Given all the violence that a typical American 6 year old has likely already seen, I think "The Crying Game" should be required viewing for all first graders as well as for any "adults" who have not seen it. ESPECIALLY the folks here who appear to obsess over who/what/when THEY find another Human "attractive".

I give it ten points out of 5. Some may argue over semantics as far as CDer, undoubtedly.

Eryn
08-13-2013, 08:04 PM
I'd put Priscilla up there with Kinky Boots. Heartwarming story.

On the bottom, I'd put any movie where the whacked-out killer ducks into hiding and emerges a few seconds later as a perfectly passable woman. Aw, heck, just any movie where the wrongdoer is portrayed as a CDer! :brolleyes:

Ellie52
08-13-2013, 08:08 PM
Eryn
Does Norman Bates count in that category?:)....Ellie

rorylm
08-13-2013, 08:09 PM
To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar (1995), 5 points out of a possible 10

How about Connie and Carla....would that count since it is more of a drag queen movie? I rate it 9 out of 10 points.

Beverley Sims
08-13-2013, 08:15 PM
Ellie,
Familiarity breeds contempt where Aussie movies are concerned for Australians.
They do enjoy greater popularity in the UK. and US.
I agree CD wise Priscilla is more camp than most.

Courtney . J
08-13-2013, 09:41 PM
Sorority Boys - very funny comedy

Kandy Barr
08-13-2013, 10:06 PM
Rocky Horror has a place in my heart simply because it was a place where I could go dressed. It had such a cult following but during a time when crossdressing was NOT accepted, especially here in Texas I have to give it credit for at least breaking the ice and opening the door a little for girls of our persuasion. Having recently seen Kinky Boots I'm going to rate as a sweet movie however more geared toward the drag queen side of our fence rather than cd, tg, or its. Still I enjoyed the movie. Those are my number 1and 2 respectively.

Sometimes Steffi
08-13-2013, 10:16 PM
Switched
Victor, Victoria
Tootsie
Mrs. Doubtfire
She's the man (FtM)

And an honorable mention goes to Kissing Jessica Stein, which is really an L movie, not a T.

Brooklyn
08-13-2013, 10:18 PM
I'd nominate "Some Like it Hot" for best, and maybe "Silence of the Lambs" for worst?

deborahtg42
08-13-2013, 10:27 PM
I agree "Some Like it Hot" one of the best and it also had the benefit of Marilyn Monroe, unfortunately there has been a number of bad crossdressing movies.

Tamara Croft
08-13-2013, 10:38 PM
Can't say I've seen a bad one, but a really sad one comes to mind - Boys Don't Cry (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0171804/), Brandon Teena :(

edith
08-13-2013, 10:48 PM
Kinky Boots was great, never seen Rocky Horror. Some Like it Hot is hilarious and a classic. And Mrs Doubtfire.

Sorority Boys has some funny moments but overall ... meh.

Marleena
08-13-2013, 10:52 PM
Hit and Miss, a mini series is the best TS movie I've seen.

Rocky Horror is the classic CD cult movie.

Ellie52
08-13-2013, 11:57 PM
maybe "Silence of the Lambs" for worst?

Puts a whole new meaning to "Am I getting under you skin".........Ellie

MatildaJ.
08-14-2013, 12:14 AM
just any movie where the wrongdoer is portrayed as a CDer!

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective comes to mind....

Miss Trudy
08-14-2013, 12:15 AM
Best movie? I have to give that to The Crying Game as it was a true depiction that many of us have endured.

My number 2 would be The Rocky Horror Picture Show as it was just so much fun and judging by the number of theatres that show it on a semi-regular basis a true cult classic!

The worst is To Wong Foo. it was just a bad movie cding or not!

Amanda_P
08-14-2013, 01:14 AM
I'm surprised it took up to 10 girls here before Tootsie got a mention and then only once. My number one would be Tootsie. for worst Dr Jeckle and Mrs Hyde. With to many to mention in between.

Paula_56
08-14-2013, 04:27 AM
Exactly Amanda How about Tootsie, I give it a 10!

Anna Abwaerts
08-14-2013, 04:49 AM
I liked Sorority Boys. So dumb that it`s funny :)

Accidentally stomped onto *To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar* title on IMDB, been wanting to see it, have not yet.

Kinky Boots was 5/10, did not really do it for me ;p

Have not seen Peacock yet, I think it might be interesting. That actor (he must have ballz) and Susan Sarandon = Classiness.

Sarah Beth
08-14-2013, 05:16 AM
:Some like it Hot" and "Tootsie" go to the top of my list along with "To Wong Foof Thans for Everything, Julie Newmar"
I did like "Kinky Boots" somewhat but didn't think it was that wonderful of a movie. There were some others that were ok that I have seen but nothing that really got my attention

Christinedreamer
08-14-2013, 05:30 AM
I am really surprised that no one mentioned "Just Like a Woman" which in my opinion is the ONLY true CDing movie in recent memory. I personally do not consider campy drag as CDing. I do like Tootsie and TWFTVYEJN. I personally did not care for Priscilla as I cannot deal with such over the top campy drag. IMO, that type of portrayal is exactly why genuine CDers have such a hard time being accepted by the vanilla world.

Zylia
08-14-2013, 05:52 AM
Either the best or the worst is the 1953 film Glen or Glenda by Ed Wood. Really something you cannot unsee.

You can actually watch it in its entirety on Youtube.

Sometimes Steffi
08-14-2013, 05:57 AM
I forgot about Transamerica. There were some really good scene in it.

Christinedreamer
08-14-2013, 06:08 AM
I have both Glen or Glenda (marketed under half a dozen different titles) and TransAmerica. Many of the points made by the narrator in G or G are right on the money but Ed Wood's schlocky writing and directing style make the whole movie a bizarre comedy for those outside the CD world. TransAmerica was, I believe, a very rational and realistic portrayal of the familial adjustments by a transsexual woman.

Julie1123
08-14-2013, 06:17 AM
Best CD movie I've seen would probably have to be Tomboy.

stephNE
08-14-2013, 06:20 AM
Either the best or the worst is the 1953 film Glen or Glenda by Ed Wood. Really something you cannot unsee.

You can actually watch it in its entirety on Youtube.

You're right, this is horrible, and so is the remake of his life "Ed Wood" in 1994 with Johnny Depp. Priscilla has been my favorite.

BLUE ORCHID
08-14-2013, 06:38 AM
Hi Ellie, Some like it hot & tootsie.

daviolin
08-14-2013, 06:56 AM
More of a transgender movie. Soldiers girl. A true and very sad story. On the light side I would say Some Like It Hot. I think this movie got me on the road to cding I saw it in the theater when I was 9 years old. Daviolin

Zylia
08-14-2013, 07:04 AM
You're right, this is horrible, and so is the remake of his life "Ed Wood" in 1994 with Johnny Depp.
It definitely is a bad piece of cinema and I would only recommend it for those can handle the junk and randomness of a typical Ed Wood movie. Still, the Glen/Glenda character arguably is one the most realistic portrayals of a run-of-the-mill cross-dresser in cinematic history, probably because it's just an adaptation of Ed Wood's own struggles with it. It also offers some quaint but interesting and entertaining views on cross-dressing and transgenderism. It's not about a guy who has to cross-dress to get a job or to see his children or because of a secret CIA mission or something, it's a 'true' cross-dressing story (the Glen/Glenda parts at least). Every time I read a "SO trouble" story on this forum I get reminded of this film :D

Majella St Gerard
08-14-2013, 07:12 AM
I have always liked Some Like it Hot

Laurie A
08-14-2013, 07:40 AM
This is an obscure one, its called "Belle Epoque" It takes place in Spain in 1931. It not really a CD movie per se. The protagonist is a soldier who has deserted and winds up hiding in the house of a man with three daughters. One of the daughters is a lesbian, there is a very hot love scene between them when he is dressed as a woman for a costume ball.

I also like "Ed Wood" its full of great quotes and one liners :

Ed Wood: This story's gonna grab people. It's about this guy, he's crazy about this girl, but he likes to wear dresses. Should he tell her? Should he not tell her? He's torn, Georgie. This is drama.

Ressie
08-14-2013, 08:30 AM
There are many I haven't seen. Real life TS movies are more intriguing. Normal (Tom Wilkinson) and TransAmerica (Felicity Huffman) are among the best. I'll give Rock Horror a thumbs down because the music gets boring.

Dani Lee
08-14-2013, 08:54 AM
I liked Chaz in Sweet November as a real life cd.

Michelle James
08-14-2013, 09:56 AM
I am really surprised that no one mentioned "Just Like a Woman" which in my opinion is the ONLY true CDing movie in recent memory. I personally do not consider campy drag as CDing. I do like Tootsie and TWFTVYEJN. I personally did not care for Priscilla as I cannot deal with such over the top campy drag. IMO, that type of portrayal is exactly why genuine CDers have such a hard time being accepted by the vanilla world.

I have not seen "Just like a woman" From the description and trailers I have found I cant figure out what is the CD connection? Somebody please clue me in.

Michelle

Never mind, I found it. I was looking at the 2012 movie and not the 1992. looks interesting anyone know where to get it?

Tina B.
08-14-2013, 10:38 AM
I wish I spoke French, I can't remember how to say it in French, but the English translation is "My life in Pink" "Viva me Rose) or something like that.
It's the story of a French family with a transgendered child, and how they cope with it in everyday life. It gets a bit fanciful, but the emotions of the child, come off as very real to me.

LilSissyStevie
08-14-2013, 10:47 AM
I can't think of a best right now but how come nobody ever mentions Yentl or Tipping The Velvet or Boys Don't Cry? The worst of the worst has to be The Plug Lady. Never heard of it? Now you have. I am sooooo sorry.

mariehart
08-14-2013, 10:53 AM
I would have to say 'Breakfast on Pluto' because I was in it as an extra. Surprised no one mentioned it before. I was very jealous of Cillian Murphy the lead seeing him dressed up. There are some very familiar moments such as being caught in a dress as a child. I was given some 70s clothes to wear including a very high pair of cowboy boots and purple bell bottom trousers with a flowery shirt and these were male clothes! It was directed by Neil Jordan who also directed 'The Crying Game' which to be fair I didn't like mostly because the lead actor was never credible as a British soldier.

I absolutely didn't like Tootsie or Mrs Doubtfire. I remember 'Just like a woman.' I also remember watching on TV in the company of my sisters two of whom know about me. I was a bit uncomfortable I must say.

A couple of films with crossdressing in them come to mind. It's a big obscure but, Triple Echo, an Oliver Reed film where an army deserter hides on a farm where he's disguised as a quite attractive woman by his lover. Unfortunately the MP Sergeant, Oliver Reed, sent to look for him falls for his female version and it ends badly for the Sergeant. But I really loved the idea that you could live full time convincingly as a woman. Another movie which I suppose is more TS involves a very attractive girl who the hero begins to suspect is a murderer. When he confronts her, he's taken by surprise when she attacks him violently. Turns out she's a man. Which is the only high point in a bad movie.

Not a film but a TV program on British television, TV in every sense of the word. Basically the wife comes home unexpectedly and finds an attractive woman in the house. Naturally surprised she confronts her and finds it's her husband. Basically it's was a play that sympathetically examined crossdressing. You might imagine the subject would be dealt with in more modern terms these days but it's all Ladyboys and drag.

donnalee
08-14-2013, 11:12 AM
Just saw "TransAmerica" (found a CD in the in the bargain bin at Walgreens) and really enjoyed it. Although it's more of a TS movie than a CD, it gets a high rank as far as I'm concerned.

JadeEmber
08-14-2013, 06:05 PM
I wish I spoke French, I can't remember how to say it in French, but the English translation is "My life in Pink" "Viva me Rose) or something like that.
It's the story of a French family with a transgendered child, and how they cope with it in everyday life. It gets a bit fanciful, but the emotions of the child, come off as very real to me.

I hadn't noticed that anyone else answered this, but it's "Ma vie en rose" and is certainly a classic on the subject.

Here's the IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119590/

Lorri_c
08-14-2013, 07:11 PM
Nuns on the run and white chicks!

Can't believe they haven't been mentioned.

lauren.h100
08-14-2013, 07:16 PM
Another enthusiastic vote in favor of "Just like a Woman" from me, although the ending suffered from a little too much pink fog to sustain the suspension of disbelief. Still, it's great fun and Julie Walters is good in almost everything she does. I still have my LaserDisc copy which remains the highest quality release as it was never remastered for DVD or Blu-ray to the best of my knowledge. An even better film is "Improperly Dressed" from Hungary. It's about a WW1 soldier who escapes the war to join the staff at a health spa as a female nurse. Beautifully filmed and quite haunting. Unlike "Just like a Woman" the ending is all too believable and not at all happy. It's well worth your time if you can find it, possibly under its original title of "Strange Masquerade". I keenly remember spotting it in the TV listings for BBC2 while still in school and surreptitiously recording it to watch late at night after the rest of my family had gone to bed.

At the opposite end of the spectrum I hated "Ticked-off Trannies with Knives" which despite it's promising title is quite awful. It appears with depressing regularity on Cinemax late at night and should be avoided at all costs.

Ellie52
08-14-2013, 07:23 PM
Just reading about Tansamerica on imdb and it seems they got a female to play the part of the TG. (Bree) Not sure if that was right but not having seen the movie I cant really comment.
I Hated Tootsie and Mrs Doubtfire..Too cliche'd I give them a 1
I may have to get the crying game as it seems a popular movie though reading imdb I may have seen it years ago. My brain is getting foggy in my older years.

I do remember one from the early 80's called 'He's my girl' very corny movie about a guy who submits his best friends band for a competition and they win, only thing is the guitarist/singer has to bring his gf but he doesnt have one so the friend goes as a girl. Very predictable....Ellie

Leah Lynn
08-14-2013, 07:24 PM
There was one on Lifetime (the dvd is available) called "The Gwen Araulo Story". True story about acd/tg that was beaten to death. I cried through most of it.

Leah

DonnaWanna
08-14-2013, 07:30 PM
Not sure if this counts as a cd ing movie, but "To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything Julie Newmar"

lauren.h100
08-14-2013, 07:53 PM
Yes, "The Gwen Araulo Story" is a good example of the Lifetime biopic genre. However it's about a TS rather than a CD and as it's reasonably faithful to the facts of the true story it's hugely depressing. Kudos to Gwen's family and shame on the US judicial system.

dragdoll
08-14-2013, 09:39 PM
I liked Hedwig & The Angry even though it's a musical like RHPS (another favorite of mine).

Like another poster mentioned, I've always hated the campy drag queen movies EXCEPT the John Waters films starring Divine. My alltime favorite is probably "Female Trouble" although Divine's character is not a CD but an actual female.

FeliciaCDSNJ
08-14-2013, 09:43 PM

On the bottom, I'd put any movie where the whacked-out killer ducks into hiding and emerges a few seconds later as a perfectly passable woman. Aw, heck, just any movie where the wrongdoer is portrayed as a CDer! :brolleyes:

What about comedies that portray us as nothing but jokes, like in Sorority Boys, Big mamas House or the like?

Just reading about Tansamerica on imdb and it seems they got a female to play the part of the TG. (Bree) Not sure if that was right but not having seen the movie I cant really comment.
I Hated Tootsie and Mrs Doubtfire..Too cliche'd I give them a 1
I may have to get the crying game as it seems a popular movie though reading imdb I may have seen it years ago. My brain is getting foggy in my older years.

I do remember one from the early 80's called 'He's my girl' very corny movie about a guy who submits his best friends band for a competition and they win, only thing is the guitarist/singer has to bring his gf but he doesnt have one so the friend goes as a girl. Very predictable....Ellie

I've seen Transamerica and it truly is a great movie. Rather touching and made me cry and laugh through the movie.

dragdoll
08-14-2013, 09:49 PM
I just found a list that people voted on:
http://www.ranker.com/list/the-best-cross-dressing-movies/all-genre-movies-lists

A lot of titles on there have been mentioned here plus a bunch of stuff I've never heard of.

NicoleScott
08-15-2013, 07:45 AM
I don't consider Tootsie and Doubtfire as crossdressers. Most definitions of crossdressing add "for sexual or emotional reasons". While they are guys dressed as females, it was for costume/disguise/deception/employment reasons, not because of any internal sexual or identity drive.

BillieJoEllen
08-15-2013, 10:10 AM
Hedgehog and the Angry Inch (is that the correct name?) and Leo/Cleo have to be among the worst films that have anything to do with TGism.

One of my all time favorites is 'I Want What I Want'. Its not really well made but I think it pretty accurately describes what a true TS/CDer would go through.

dragdoll
08-15-2013, 10:25 AM
Hedgehog and the Angry Inch (is that the correct name?) and Leo/Cleo have to be among the worst films that have anything to do with TGism.

"Hedwig", and I liked it because the main character really looked good en femme, unlike Robin Williams or Dustin Hoffman.

There's a movie called "stonewall" about the infamous riots. I've never seen the whole thing, but there's a really long preview trailer on another video that I have and it looks like a lot of CDing in it. I'll have to check it out sometime, but I can't stress enough how much I hate campy drag queen characters (Divine being the exception).

Lola Wants
08-15-2013, 10:43 PM
Rocky Horror Picture Show has been one of my top ten favorite movies of all time since I was a young kid (I'm 28 almost 29). I can clearly recall the first time I was allowed to watch it: I was about 8 or 9 (my aunt fast forwarded through the "racey parts")... my reaction was such a positive one and I couldn’t get enough of it, I would watch it with her just about every time I was at her house and we would dance and sing.

Every year, during the month of October, my local playhouse puts on the production at least two shows a day... My friends and I (male and female) have made it tradition to get all dolled up and go see a show or two a season.

Too Wong Foo and Boys Don't Cry are also ranked up there for me!

Dani Lee
08-15-2013, 10:52 PM
Let's do the time warp again!

bimini1
08-15-2013, 10:56 PM
Well, most realistic for me was Just Like A Woman.

Jocelyn Quivers
08-15-2013, 11:04 PM
Nuns on the run and white chicks!

Can't believe they haven't been mentioned.

You beat me to it with white chicks! A good 1 hour and 30 minutes lost that I will never get back in this life time. I expected so much more out of a Wayne's Brothers movie. Also got add Juwanna Man into another list all time worst. The best outside of Just Like A Woman "Just One of the Guys" Covers the FTM angle, an excellent happy 80's flick!

Christina Horton
08-16-2013, 06:08 AM
In the 90s there was a made for tv move called
"Just one of the girls".I loved it. He did another one called
" ladybugs". I give just one of the girls a 8 and ladybugs a 2.
" Some like it hot" I give a 10.
"Tootsie" I have loved for years and give it a 9.
"Too Wong foo " I give a 10. I love Patrick.
"TransAmerican" was very very good and give it a 8. And yes the lead Bree is a GG.
The worst
"The crying game. Just bad bad bad. I give it a -1
"Rocky horror" I give a 1. Just not what I expected I guess.

I also think there are some cartoon movies and tv shows out there that have not been talked about. I'll start with one.
" Capton Crossdresser" I may have spelled that wrong. If you Google that you'll find it.
"Project Ako" not ment to be CD movies but the bad " Guys" look like men but are women on there planet.
There was a super hero on Saturday mornings but I forget the name. He would change into a women to fight crime.

Ok. That's it for now. Night all.

S. Lisa Smith
08-16-2013, 06:26 AM
I loved "Just Like A Woman"!!!

Julogden
08-16-2013, 09:28 AM
Well, assuming that by "CD movie", you mean any movie in which a male or males dress as female/s for any reason, I'd put garbage like Dressed To Kill and White Chicks at the lowest possible position and then throw dirt on them. ;)

The only real CD film that I'm aware of would be Just Like A Woman, and that one would go to the top of the list with a gold star.

Some others that are decent to very good but IMO, aren't CD films as the protagonists are either drag queens or TS's would include in no particular order, Different For Girls, Normal, Wong Foo, Priscilla Queen of the Desert, Kinky Boots, Farewell My Concubine, Ma Vie En Rose, Soldier's Girl, Boys Don't Cry (FTM), Badge, All About My Mother, Transamerica, The Dress Code (a.k.a. Bruno), Gaudi Afternoon, Hedwig and for documentaries, there's stuff like Trantasia and Beautiful Daughters. In the goofy and fun but not to be taken seriously category: Ladybugs, Girls Will Be Girls, Britney Baby One More Time, Operation: Fred (a.k.a. Our Miss Fred), Some Like It Hot, Just One Of The Girls.

I've never cared for Rocky Horror, just not my cup of tea for some reason, although I've tried to like it. :(

One or two that have significant pluses and minuses: Triple Echo, Juwanna Mann, Sorority Boys (pretty bad overall but some very funny bits).

And I'm sure I'm forgetting quite a few.

Carol

dragdoll
08-16-2013, 11:38 AM
The thing I hated about Rocky Horror was at the theater having a bunch of people yelling back at the screen every second and throwing rice and stuff. I like crowd participation and everything but some people took it too far.

lauren.h100
08-16-2013, 02:02 PM
In the category of "why hasn't anybody else mentioned this one" there's Woody Allen's "Everything you always wanted to know about sex but were afraid to ask". It's an anthology of mostly very funny short stories including one with an elderly couple where the husband is a CD. They're visiting a friend's house and while alone the husband decides to try on some of the lady of the house's clothes. Needless to say all does not go according to plan and wacky comedy ensues. The setup is quite realstic, especially within the constrains of what is essentially an extended comedy sketch. At the end, after his wife finds out they have a laugh she admonishes him, not for being a CD but for not telling her earlier.

Julie York
08-16-2013, 04:17 PM
There is a film called "A little bit of lippy". I can't remember much about it other than the reality of it. But I give it a 7.
If you have never heard of it then track it down.

NathalieX66
08-16-2013, 04:22 PM
There's a Belgian film called Ma Vie en Rose, about a boy who wishes he was a girl, and how his aunt embraces his girl side while his parents hate it. It's a true transgender coming of age story. I have it on dvd, it's in French with English subtitles.

jaye_cd
08-16-2013, 11:47 PM
I recently watched "Ready, OK". A gem of an independent film about a young boy who was very girly, wanted to be a cheerleader with the other girls, and crossdressed for a school history project and didn't understand why everyone was freaking out about it. The way his mom treated him made me cry in some spots because it was very close to some of the things I went through at that age.

DameErrant
08-17-2013, 01:06 AM

Then you would have to include the Arnold Swartzenegger movie "Red Heat." One of the Russian Mobsters disguises himself as a nurse, (very convincingly too,) in order to infiltrate a hospital and kill a prisoner under police protection. I knew right away it was a fake nurse, real nurses do not wear pumps if they are on their feet all day. Don't remember if that's what blew his cover or not, but it gave him away to me.

MsMargaret
08-17-2013, 02:11 AM
The way his mom treated him made me cry in some spots because it was very close to some of the things I went through at that age.

The Mom in Ready, OK, was played by by Carrie Preston, who also played the sister in Transamerica.

Celeste
08-17-2013, 06:58 AM
Many of these films had a weak plot and were a total waste of time.I would check out "Madame Butterfly"(Jeremy Lyons version) and "Soldiers girl again .My pick for the least tolerable...........the queen of the desert.You know,many of these"flop" type movies do not help the cause much,I want to see and embrace movies that depict cdtg's in reality not a comical farce.

dana 1
08-17-2013, 01:47 PM
I agree with christene just like a women is by far the best tg movie ever made, also normal is very good

jessicapaige
08-17-2013, 02:23 PM
You beat me to it with white chicks! A good 1 hour and 30 minutes lost that I will never get back in this life time. I expected so much more out of a Wayne's Brothers movie.

Yeah it was a concept with few comedic possibilities, and they managed to miss every one. I actually can't remember liking any of their movies though...

sometimes_miss
08-17-2013, 03:38 PM
I am really surprised that no one mentioned "Just Like a Woman" which in my opinion is the ONLY true CDing movie in recent memory.
I was thinking the same thing. Perhaps it's because it's such a hard to find film. I had to order it from amazon.co.uk to see it, and it was region 2 so I had to rip it to another dvd to even watch it. I even think it might make a good movie to recommend to some of the SO's that come here when they discover their mate crossdresses. Or not. I'm not sure.

Samantha_Smile
08-17-2013, 06:14 PM
Nobody going to mention Silence of the Lambs?

I think it did wonders for the community.

Jodi M
08-17-2013, 07:40 PM
Transamerica gets my vote as best. The character Bree seemed very authentic in her portrayal of a TS and the heartache they must go through with their families and their lives. Just Like a Woman was touching because I could see myself sometimes in the character as I watched it.

Kathyxd
08-17-2013, 08:14 PM
Just Like A Woman for me.

Also, Last Exit To Brooklyn

dragdoll
08-17-2013, 10:41 PM
Then you would have to include the Arnold Swartzenegger movie "Red Heat." One of the Russian Mobsters disguises himself as a nurse, (very convincingly too,) in order to infiltrate a hospital and kill a prisoner under police protection. I knew right away it was a fake nurse, real nurses do not wear pumps if they are on their feet all day. Don't remember if that's what blew his cover or not, but it gave him away to me.

There are a ton of movies like that too. I remember seeing a movie with Gene Simmons (from Kiss) as the villain, in the end he was trying to be incognito (in full drag) in fishnets, black pumps, ect. Much better than his Kiss costume.
There was a scene in "Boondock Saints" with William Defoe as a very passable CD undercover cop turned hitman. He looked really good, surprisingly.
There's a 60s movie called "Day of the Nightmare" featuring a crossdressing serial killer. And then there's that one Cheech & Chong film where they are in drag for like half the movie running from the cops.
There's so many more I can't think of right now, mental block I guess.

MissJoanne
08-17-2013, 11:32 PM
Best? Undoubtedly, Just Like A Woman. Despite being from the UK, I had never heard of it until recently, then found it and downloaded it. Cried my eyes out at it because it could easily be me, but it was a very warm story with a nice ending.

Brenn
08-18-2013, 07:35 AM
Just Like a Woman (1992). I was surprised it took so long to appear on this thread. It was one of the first movies I saw Julie Walters (Mrs. Weasley from Harry Potter) in. Don't confuse it with the recent film which I don't think has anything to do with crossdressing.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/3/3b/Just_Like_a_Woman_film_poster.jpg

biggirlsarah
08-18-2013, 08:00 AM
I have looked but I personally think the best transgendered movie ever is called different for girls, it is an English film and a very heartwarming story, I don't think it is available anymore, but if you can find a copy it is well worth a look.

Persephone
08-26-2013, 04:19 PM
In my view the ultimate best-ever CD film has to be "Some Like It Hot" (1959 with Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon).

Although I am also partial to Transamerica and Felicity Huffman.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/sandylewiscares/FelicityHuffman10f210-27-2012E.jpg

The ultimate worst is "Killer Drag Queens on Dope" (2003, with, believe it or not, Alexis Arquette as "Eva Destruction"). The title is the entire plot. BTW, I believe Alexis Arquette recently played a boy in something or other.

And Neil Patrick Harris is scheduled to star as Hedwig in the Broadway musical "Hedwig And the Angry Inch," scheduled to open in the Spring of 2014. His comment, "Hedwig is a woman, so I've got to learn to walk in heels."

Hugs,
Persephone.

GeorgeA
10-02-2013, 11:18 PM
Anybody has seen "La Cage aux Folles"? It's not strictly about CDs but gay drag queens. But a funny comedy.

Christinedreamer
10-03-2013, 08:45 PM
Saw LCAF at the Pantage's many years ago with Gene Barry in the lead. Great stage show. I have also seen the movie version.

For those who loved Julie Waters in 'Just Like a Woman', see if you can find a film of hers called 'Personal Services'. It is a very funny film with Julie as a woman unable to make enough money to pay the bills doing a "normal" job so a friend of hers talks her into taking on fetish clients as a domme. She ends up with quite an array of kinks, a French maid TV, a little old woman housekeeper/assistant who turns out to be a little old CDer, some light B&D, etc. Really is funny with all the officials of the town who get involved as customers.

heatherdress
10-03-2013, 11:05 PM
Tootsie and Mrs Doubtfire were biggest hits.

Most CD movies rate poor grades.

Allesandra Rhodes
10-03-2013, 11:40 PM
I'll add, the Hot Chick here. Hilarious movie, although probably more about body switching than crossdressing, but it was funny!

Secret Drawer
10-04-2013, 03:35 AM
Not exactly a CDing movie per se, but Billy Elliot has a storyline that many of us may relate to, and there is a bit of CDing as well. (Highly recommended!)
There is a newish Swedish movie called Cockpit, about a male pilot that has to "become" female to get/keep his job, but I have not seen it. (The cover showing his male and female persona is intriguing)

Dawna Ellen Bays
10-04-2013, 06:15 AM
Netflix streaming has "Ticked Off Trannies with Knives," which DEFINITELY doesn't help our community, but it's supposed to be "tongue in cheek." I hated "Too Wong Foo...", especially the scene where Stockard Channing goes into her "I'm a Drag Queen" monologue like she's giving an Academy Award worthy performance.

"Silence of the Lambs" is one of my favorite movies. I know the average CD/TV/TS-hating moviegoer would lump all of us in with Buffalo Bill, but the story clearly separated "us" from "them" by explaining that Bill was NOT a real transsexual, and that most are "passive" people. I never let that portrayal bother me. Interesting side note: Ted Levine, the guy who played "Buffalo Bill," has had a very successful post-"Silence" acting career, mostly playing "good guys."

audreyinalbany
10-04-2013, 07:22 AM
I just watched about twenty minutes of "Just Like a Woman" on you tube, and i DOES seem to be the best movie about crossdressing

Dee Baker
10-04-2013, 04:44 PM
Has anyone mentioned (WHAT WOMEN WANT). Mostly moral worldview of a chauvinistic man who learns how to be caring toward women.

Mink
10-04-2013, 04:49 PM
not really a crossdressing film so much though eh? ^^

but man that scene where his daugter catches him in pantyhose and he covers himself up with the bra

haha!

great stuff

and the maid (?) saying [IN HER MIND] so now he's a CROSSDRESSER?

NathalieX66
10-04-2013, 05:19 PM
My fave is Ma Vie en Rose, a Belgian film (in French) about a young boy who wants o be a girl. It is very transgender-y in nature.

My least fave is the 80's sitcom Bosom Buddies, which starred Tom Hanks.

...and one particular scene in Silence of the Lambs scared the living daylights out of me....which lots of other scenes in that movie did also

Mink
10-04-2013, 05:41 PM
there was a semi (quasi) american remake (but not really?) of ma vie en rose which was... not so good!

can't remember the name of it... anyone know?

as for bad not much can be worse than white chicks (shudder)

jessi
10-05-2013, 09:00 AM
I've been through the entire thread, and I'm shocked that no one has mentioned Almodóvar's "The Skin I Live In".

cdmorganashley
10-05-2013, 10:25 AM
a couple that come to mind for me that i didn't notice mentioned are "flawless" with dinero and philip seymour hoffman, which i thought was an interesting premise but i don't really remember how the crossdresser was portrayed, and as a child of the 80s i really remember "just one of the guys" because i couldn't stop thinking about the scenario of starting at a new school fresh as the opposite gender like the main character did--we can dream right?

TGMarla
10-05-2013, 11:36 AM
Like Christine said, the only one of these movies that depicts a heterosexual crossdresser in a decent light is "Just Like a Woman". But it's hard to make a movie out of a crossdresser. Face it, most of us don't challenge large corporations while posing as a woman, so the movie stretches reality a bit. The problem is that most of us are just average people, not real exciting, no cataclysmic events to speak of, so unless you have some far-fetched plot twist, we'd all make for lousy movies.

The rest of these movies show people who HAD to crossdress for reasons beyond their control (Doubtfire and Tootsie) or drag queens (Kinky Boots, Priscilla, Too Wong Foo, and Angry Inch), or transexuals (Transamerica, et al). The movies like "Switch" aren't really about crossdressing, since the main characters actually ARE women (even though they're men). Much of the time, as in Angry Inch, the main characters, the transgendered ones, are dealing with heavy mental problems. Some of us, admittedly, deal with things like that. But the vast majority of us are just regular guys who like to be girls some of the time. And the only movie I've seen like that is "Just Like a Woman".

I agree...."White Chicks" is horrid. No one, but NO ONE, would assume these clowns are really women.

Honorable mentions to "Normal" and to "A Girl Like Me", but it's really sad.

Mink
10-05-2013, 03:18 PM
it IS depressing... i thought of making a topic about it that every time a movies & tv shows depicting crossdressing comes up it's always the types you say... doing it for a specific reason or drag queens or the worst using it as some sign of mental illness or serial killer / pervert tendencies!

bleh!

and then on tv it's always done as a joke... ALWAYS... always joked about

bah!

I've been through the entire thread, and I'm shocked that no one has mentioned Almodóvar's "The Skin I Live In".

!!!

shocked more that someone here even knows of that movie! loved it! and love almodovar! ...

that one is def. a very different beast... and almost a horror movie!

though i'm sure for some it would be quite the fantasy!

the woman they chose was super attractive

but man what a twisted movie!

Christinedreamer
10-05-2013, 05:43 PM
When I saw 'Just Like a Woman' the first time I really liked the fact that it is based on a true story. Most of us can identify with many of the issues that faced Gerald; the ridicule from someone he loved, the ridiculous psychobabble from supposed experts, the fear of being clocked while going out in the daylight, the eventual pink fog, the romantic dreams of a wedding gown on that special day, etc.
In Ma Vie En Rose, I identified quite a lot with the little boy and relived some of the hateful actions against him by family and family friends. In the Gwen Araujo story (A Girl Like Me) even though I am not TS, I hurt for her character so much. I wanted to be the knight in shining armor to rescue her and protect her and love her for who she is.

I think the recurring them that many of these movies touch on that WE can see is that the vanilla world seems unable to comprehend that we have feelings, that we can be emotionally hurt, that we want to be loved just like everyone else and that we are not pervs or monsters.

I have gotten into several long discussions etc on FB when someone posts a story about a TG child and the hatred and vitriol that spews out from some of these folks is unreal. Because of that, we need to have more realistic portrayals of all realms of legit TG emotions explored. I think we are saturated with murderous drag queens, child molesters etc.

MsMargaret
10-20-2013, 06:54 PM
there was a semi (quasi) american remake (but not really?) of ma vie en rose which was... not so good!

can't remember the name of it... anyone know?

Bruno (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0123003/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_19) with Shirley MacLaine, Gary Sinese, Joey Lauren Adams, Kathy Bates, and so on. Pity the script didn't live up to the casting.

I, too, am not such a big fan of Rocky Horror. I mean, here's a movie that purports to be one where you should feel free to be an individual and your own self, whoever that may be, and yet, as an audience member, you chant programmed responses at the screen like one of Pavlov's dogs. That duality always depressed me, kind of like that scene in Life of Brian where Brian shouts out, "You are all individuals!" to which they respond in unison, "Yes, we are all individuals!!!" and I feel like that one guy who mutters, "I'm not."

bobra
10-20-2013, 07:09 PM
Although it may sound trite, Tootsie had it's moments where it showed it is not easy for some of us to makeup our male mugs to a point where we can try to pass.

bobbimo
10-21-2013, 05:53 AM
I vote top honors for To Wong Foo Thanks for Everything, Julie Newmar.
But I recently watched "Peacock" (2010)
Very disturbing movie, but it has some amazing CD moments
Bobbi

5150 Girl
10-21-2013, 10:00 AM
I think Silence of the lambs and the rocky horror picture show are the kind of negative image that cause our people to be marginalized by society.
On the other hand I absolutely love Too Wong Foo!!! It portrays us as being the normal every day people that we are. It gives us a good public image. Yea ok; the drag show at the top was a little over that top but it's all good. When Vita led her merry band into the real word they were real everyday people and I find that a very positive example

pinklilly211
10-22-2013, 12:27 AM
I would have loved to see more of Peacock, the movie didn't give closeure.

IwishIwasTracy
10-22-2013, 12:26 PM
final Jeopardy question last night was what are the two funniest movies ever and they both had to do with crossdressing. The answer was Some Like It Hot and Tootsie. I looked at my wife and said see I told you crossdressing was fun.

Tracy