PDA

View Full Version : Wow those are big shoes!

Princess Grandpa
08-17-2013, 01:20 PM
While I don't go around the house in dresses while people are home, my nails are usually painted and I have a couple pairs of ladies shorts I wear with some degree of regularity. At some point my grown daughter will no longer be able to ignore the signs and we will have to talk to her. We have had many discussions about what we wanted to say when she finally does ask Of course all those well laid plans flew right out the window once it came up and panic set in.

My daughter is in my bedroom yesterday chatting with my wife. "Wow those are really big shoes!" She says. Right there are the heels I didn't put away. "Yeah and they were only $7.00. Julie replies hoping to change the subject. "But for who"? my daughter asks. Julie is totally flustered and falls back to her goto response. "You don't want to know" Having heard this often enough to know she probably doesn't want to know, she accepts this and walks away. Obviously I cannot leave it like this. This morning I sit down with her and we talk.

I was sitting out back having a cup of coffee and working on a script of what i want to say, when she comes out back to discuss business related topics. At one point in the conversation she made the comment "I just don't want to know." Considering that an excellent segway I changed the subject.

"There is something I would like to talk to you about. It's a little embarrassing so if we were able to keep it just between us I would appreciate it." At this point her face goes blank. She prides herself on being able to not show her emotions. "And I don't want you putting on your confessor face and blowing this off. We really need to be able to discuss this. I love you and need our relationship to stay strong" I continue.

"I know you have seen a lot of odd things lately. The heels, the nail polish and stuff. First I want you to know I'm not gay." She giggles. "I know! sometimes you two aren't so quiet" "A few weeks back your mom painted my nails. When she was done something snapped in me. I don't know what it was but it just felt really right. Again I'm not gay, and frankly if I was I suspect you wouldn't really have a problem with it. I don't want to become a woman or anything, but your mom and I have been playing with gender boundaries and are having a really good time playing dress up." She smiles.

The conversation went on for sometime I won't bore you with any more details. This is long enough already. "I think it's kind of cool. I'm really happy you guys are having fun." is her take on it. We discussed planning a Mommy and Me and Me day.

I can't begin to express the joy flowing through me. All of my family now knows what kind of freak I am and accept me for who I am. If there is a god he is making up for all the F****d up things he has done in my life. If there isn't a god, karma has more than made up for all the hardships I have ever faced. If neither of these are the ways of the universe, I am about the luckiest person to ever live.

Hug
Rita

Stevie
08-17-2013, 02:30 PM
Wow Rita that was a really good way to tell her. Glad things worked out.

Beverley Sims
08-17-2013, 03:03 PM
Another nice acceptance situation.
I am glad for you.

Miriam-J
08-17-2013, 06:22 PM
Sounds like you handled it beautifully, and I think I'll use a similar approach when my son is ready. Thank you for sharing.

Miriam

AmyGaleRT
08-17-2013, 06:34 PM
Rita, that's wonderful news! You're doing well with your daughter, I think. And hopefully it'll make your home environment less stressful!

- Amy

Kandy Barr
08-17-2013, 07:00 PM
Thanks for sharing your success story Rita, I'm really happy for you.

BLUE ORCHID
08-17-2013, 07:15 PM
H Rita, It sounds like you have a great daughter.

bridget thronton
08-18-2013, 01:31 AM
Very happy for you and your family

Tina B.
08-18-2013, 08:19 AM
Good Job Rita! That is one of the best handled stories I have seen on here. If I ever find myself having to talk to my sons about it, I will use some of what you said, I loved the part about needing your relationship to stay strong.

MissTee
08-18-2013, 09:26 AM
Good story. Glad you held strong during "the talk."

Princess Grandpa
08-18-2013, 11:36 AM
We didn't really plan to share this with our kids. As I am not even fantasizing about a 24/7 type of situation it just doesn't seem to be any of their business. Add to that the strong sexual component and there is even less reason. The day after we purchased my first outfit my son dropped in unannounced. There is a thread here somewhere sharing my little freak out. My daughter lives part time with us and I just wasn't being careful.

I feel a little bad. This is about the only boundary Julie has imposed. My daughter has a strong religious inclination. We were truly worried how that might end. I should have been more careful and avoided this. At the same time I dreaded her just walking in on me like her brother. Now that its out and everyone still loves me, Julie and I both are glad it happened. I should have been more careful!

I'm so proud of my children! I am so happy with my life I can barely contain myself.

Hug
Rita

Bree Wagner
08-18-2013, 11:54 AM
What a great story!

...your mom and I have been playing with gender boundaries and are having a really good time playing dress up." She smiles.

... I am about the luckiest person to ever live.

And, what a wonderful way to phrase the situation! That's a great positive way to put the situation in easily understandable terms.

I'm so proud of my children! I am so happy with my life I can barely contain myself.

May we all feel this way!

I'm thrilled things are going so well for you and wish you and your family nothing but the best.

-Bree

Princess Grandpa
08-18-2013, 02:05 PM
And, what a wonderful way to phrase the situation! That's a great positive way to put the situation in easily understandable terms.

May we all feel this way

-Bree

As for the wording, I have you ladies to thank. Gender boundaries, gender fluidity, these and much more are concepts I have learned here. I don't have words to express how much you all have helped me understand myself and the role you have played in the peace I feel.

" May we all feel this way" Yes Bree yes! There is a thread out there about if we had one wish. You just expressed mine.

Hug
Rita

Lola Wants
08-18-2013, 02:30 PM
Rita,

I'm so happy for you and thank you for sharing. Sounds like you and your wife have raised wonderful kids... and I'm glad to hear you are proud... you should be. Congrats!

Lola