PDA

View Full Version : What gender are you? This is NOT a poll!

Frédérique
08-20-2013, 05:29 PM
I was tooling around on another site that I frequent, one with elements of crossdressing sprinkled around (like fairy dust), and I came across a poll for viewers, asking “What gender are you?” This was followed by the phrase, “Let’s see how diverse (the site) is!” These were the choices:

Male
Female
Transgender – MtF
Transgender – FtM
Other

Your choice. I can’t go anywhere these days without bumping into transgender, especially if crossdressing is in the mix somewhere, but I have a simple question – who would check “Other” as their gender? Doesn’t M, F, MtF, and FtM pretty much cover it?

I mean, what other choices are there? Are there other dimensions of gender-reality that I’m (apparently) unfamiliar with? Are we talking about the hypothetical THIRD gender, specifically created by and for the benefit of people who either can’t decide, won’t decide, or don’t really care what they are? Are there aliens among us, with gender characteristics hitherto unknown and under-appreciated? You tell me, I’m all ears (and eyes). BTW, I’m male...

I like people who don’t conform, and I must admit I would normally hesitate to state what I am, but “Other?” Why not say “Both” or “Neither,” and spit something back at society? If I was younger, I might do exactly that, but nowadays I avoid polls, surveys, or any “other” word you may wish to call it, along with the marketing they thinly disguise. I wish to be invisible, place doubt in other people’s minds, and drift along on my magic carpet of nonconformity. However, if I am needed, in case of emergency, I will step forward and declare myself an example of the male gender, without hesitation. Oh, he may be unsure of what he can do, and he may be insecure as all get-out, but at least he made a choice somewhere along the way, based on his own feelings, even if it meant going back to square ONE...

“Other.” That made me laugh. Maybe that was the whole idea. You had to be THERE, trust me... :doh:

Is there an OTHER gender I’m unaware of? Feel free to educate me. I won’t bite...:thinking:

xdressed
08-20-2013, 05:46 PM
I don't see why MtF has been separated from Female and FtM from Male, that feels a little like they're saying you're not really the gender you identify with even if you have transitioned.

I identify as bi-gender so 'Both' would be more accurate than 'Other' for me, although I suppose other is just a catch all term for the wide varieties of different gender identities that people have

sandra-leigh
08-20-2013, 06:06 PM
Gender Queer, Gender Fluid, Two Spirited, non-gendered

SophieKitty
08-20-2013, 06:39 PM
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/14/149324/2967175-5307707182-why_n.png I'm very proud of being a man, and a woman. I like the fact I can very easily identify with both genders and easily switch. I can also feel I could stay one or the other for love. If my partner wanted me to be a girl all the time If there was love there I'd be their girlfriend or boyfriend. If however they enjoyed having a man on some days and a woman the other that would be my ultimate partner. Still I count myself as an open minded straight male AND a bi-curious female, just depends what mood I wake up in. The same goes for weather I'm submissive or dominant in bed, it's all depends on my mood, and partner's preference.

However I don't know if that makes me a freak, greedy or just normal. Hell I don't even know what I'm even classified as yet.

Kate Simmons
08-20-2013, 06:47 PM
"Star Trek-The Next Generation" kind of addressed this in an episode 1n 1992 about an androgynous unisex race called the J'naii. Everyone(male and female) dressed the same and physical sex was forbidden. That notwithstanding, I'm a male and thoroughly enjoy it. My dressing is something I mostly do to outwardly express my inner feelings and to enjoy.:)

TrishaV
08-20-2013, 08:10 PM
I'm kinda in the same boat as Sophiekitty I'm proud to be a man but I also enjoy dressing and acting like a woman.

Rogina B
08-20-2013, 08:27 PM
Transgender...M to F...And I'll stand behind it...

BLUE ORCHID
08-20-2013, 08:30 PM
Hi Freddi, I'm just a male Crossdresser.

DDee
08-20-2013, 08:32 PM
Male , 99% but think of my self a female for that great 1%

DDee

kimdl93
08-20-2013, 08:33 PM
This isn't a poll so I don't feel compelled to answer for myself. I would remind everyone that there are 'other' gendered people, born with outward manifestations of both biological sexes...and more intersexed children are being born each year.

RADER
08-20-2013, 08:38 PM
If this is not a pole, than where do I put my "X"
Rader

stephene513
08-20-2013, 08:43 PM
When I was like 9 years old and going to church I always knew my soul was a girl, but I figured since I was born a boy may as well follow it through, so got married twice (both faliures) now I give up trying to be something I am not.

ME2.0
08-20-2013, 09:13 PM
Male--with a very strong feminine side that's trying to take over.

Staci

Leona
08-20-2013, 09:23 PM
I pick other.

I Am Paula
08-20-2013, 09:26 PM
Google has three gender choices including other for sign up to thier products.

Dani0948
08-20-2013, 09:36 PM
Another male cd here.

julie marie1
08-20-2013, 10:09 PM
I am very definitely male. But, since I was a teen (many years ago), I have enjoyed the experience of looking female.
Of course, for many years I thought there was something wrong with me, and maybe there is, but I can't deny this part of myself /

PaulaQ
08-20-2013, 10:22 PM
Compassion please - I think life is hard for someone who doesn't naturally conform to one pole of the gender binary or the other, nor is able to transition to one or the other.

As for me, transgender - MtF.

Veronica27
08-20-2013, 10:46 PM
My pedantic nature tells me this is a trick question. The pronouns that identify me and words that describe my personality and nature possess a gender , but I don't. I am a member of the male sex and am quite happy with that fact.

Veronica

LilSissyStevie
08-20-2013, 11:09 PM
Gender fluid, or more colloquially, a Nancy boy.

Cynthia Anne
08-20-2013, 11:27 PM
I am what I am! That won't change by calling me male or female! When all is said and done I will still be ME!!

ReineD
08-20-2013, 11:32 PM
[COLOR="black"]
Your choice. I can’t go anywhere these days without bumping into transgender, especially if crossdressing is in the mix somewhere, but I have a simple question – who would check “Other” as their gender? Doesn’t M, F, MtF, and FtM pretty much cover it?

I think it would be best to have people pick between:

Male
Female
*Gender non-conforming (MtF)
*Gender non-conforming (FtM)
Transsexual (MtF or transwoman)
Transsexual (FtM or transman)
Pangender (No labels)
Intersex

*There are lots of synonyms for 'Gender Non-Conforming': bi-gender, dual-gender, gender fluid, genderqueer, etc.

'Transgender' is too general. It is an umbrella term for everyone on this list, except the males and females who do not cross any gender barrier(s).

Me? I'm female.

Lynn Marie
08-20-2013, 11:41 PM
Male alien!

Julie1123
08-20-2013, 11:42 PM
Freddy, I always get a bit excited when you post something new.

To answer the non-poll for shits and giggles, I would choose male.

As to the other, I kind of see it as a catch all safety net for the author of the poll. An easy way to make sure you haven't excluded someone. I think its become so status quo for surveys these days that its probably added on subconsciously.

Beverley Sims
08-20-2013, 11:53 PM
Victor Borge said it years ago about Denmark.
They had three sexes there. Male, female and convertible.
Last time I looked I think I still had boy parts. :)
Frédérique, you do have to throw in other to accommodate all anomalies.

edith
08-20-2013, 11:58 PM
Regular cis dude here. "Gender-nonconforming" is apt but I don't think of that description as its own gender.

Oddlee
08-21-2013, 01:12 AM
So, for my part... my thinking patterns are typically male: fix things, understand how things work... However, I also enjoy shopping. So, to echo some movie theme - why does it have to be "or?" Why can't it be "and?"

Lee

NicoleScott
08-21-2013, 08:04 AM
Instead of multiple choice, maybe it should have been fill-in-the-blank.
For me, typical male (who likes to dress up occasionally).

devida
08-21-2013, 08:29 AM
I guess my response to the question What gender are you would first be to find out why I'm being asked. If it's the government that wants to know, why my driver's license says I'm male, so there you go. If it's a psychologist I'd say how much time do you have and do I have to pay you? If it's about having sex I'd need to know what roles you wanted me to be. I don't actually ask that question of myself because to me it's pretty clear that I am what I am and that attempting to define myself as this or that has nothing to do with reality. I know I'm not a noun. But for the purpose of this poll, on a forum where the responses are quite varied and in many cases don't fit the terms offered, I would have to take Other. If that makes you giggle, frederique, I'm happy to have brought pleasure to your day ;)

MysticLady
08-21-2013, 09:32 AM
Male
Female
Transgender – MtF
Transgender – FtM
Other

I am, all of the above and none of the above. Sorry, for confusing you, again:straightface:

NV Susan
08-21-2013, 10:56 AM
Girl want-a-be......:cute:

julia marie
08-21-2013, 11:15 AM
Now that I spend more time dressed, I have to laugh when I fill out a questionnaire or a form that asks for gender and gives as options Male and Female. How about adding "Depends on the Day"? Or "Varies with Mood"?

Jaymees22
08-21-2013, 01:32 PM
I'm a boy who enjoys being a part time girl. I was thinking about the term bigender, I Googled it and of course it is yet another label we could use. I kind of like it, but what do I know? Hugs Jaymee

Nicole Brown
08-21-2013, 02:06 PM
Well, let's see. My birth certificate which was issues in New York has an M next to the word sex. My current New Jersey drivers license has an F next to the word sex. So, since my drivers license is newer and more current I guess I am female, according to officially issued government documents. :o

Zylia
08-21-2013, 02:17 PM
As some have already said: there are plenty of other gender identities (or non-identities) to warrant an 'other' option in that poll. It might have been more funny/interesting if they had asked for your sex instead of your gender.

I don't know how I could pick anything other than 'male' (in Reine's poll) by the way. Cross-dressing is a rather shallow form of gender-bending (literally) at least in my case, and a few 'feminine' interests don't make you female.

natalialimapoa
08-21-2013, 02:29 PM
Appearance Context: male
Brain Context: mixed male and female
Soul Context: mixed male and female

biggirlsarah
08-21-2013, 03:23 PM
Lets see:- Male X
Female X
Transgender M t F X
Transgender F to M X
Other X
Must be Don't Know Then.

Amy07
08-21-2013, 03:29 PM
What a BIG room!
Be careful what you ask.
Crossdresser here. American.
Do not assume you know so much, read and learn.
Expect push back. You know jack.

Kate Simmons
08-21-2013, 03:31 PM
Male alien! Good one LynnMarie. Put 'em together and it makes "malien". Think I'll use that in the future.:battingeyelashes::)

Frédérique
08-21-2013, 05:49 PM
I would remind everyone that there are 'other' gendered people, born with outward manifestations of both biological sexes...and more intersexed children are being born each year.

OK, but wouldn’t you say that there are TWO genders, and pretty much all people have outward manifestations of one or the other gender? Also, isn’t “intersexed” the state of all children, and they grow, naturally, into their gender awareness through social interaction, peer pressure, and a need to belong? Perhaps this isn’t the place for THAT discussion, but it seems to me that there cannot be a pure M or a pure F – this site demonstrates that quite nicely, even though the vast majority of people pay scant attention to their inherent gender-fluidity…

Back in art school we had to do an interesting exercise in paint-mixing. Bear with me. You, the student, the fledgling painter, had to take two complimentary colors (such as red/green, blue/orange or yellow/purple), and mix them incrementally to create a range of hues (or shades) between the two colors. The idea was to show the student how many colors could be created from only TWO basic pigments…

I chose complimentary shades of red and green, and I mixed them carefully, say one drop of red with 23 drops of green, 2 drops of red with 22 drops of green, and so forth, painting a little swatch with each mixed color, plus pure red and pure green. When I got done, I had 26 swatches – bright red on one side, bright green on the other, and a range of 24 mixed shades in-between. In the exact center, the two colors neutralized each other, since they were exactly complimentary. Some would say that this grey color (for that’s how it appears) would be neither red nor green, but it was created from BOTH those colors and thus was made up of both colors. Also, this neutral color didn’t suddenly have a new name – it’s merely a “grey” mixture, or an “interesting neutral” in painter’s jargon, with reddish green on one side, and greenish red on the other, ready for more mixing. Those “other” shades also don’t get new names, or labels, since they are only mixtures created from the two original colors…

For the sake of argument, let’s say that that the genders, male and female, or female and male, are complimentary, and there are an infinite amount of “shades” between the two genders. IMHO, there cannot be an “other” gender, just in-between states, of varying degrees, just like my little swatch exercise described above. “Somewhere In Between” would be more accurate that “Other,” and it covers “undecided,” “gender-queer,” and “two-spirited.” Gender-fluid is also in-between M and F, but is perhaps (as the label infers) subject to change, or caprice. Try as I might, I can’t understand a term like “non-gendered.” It makes NO sense…

In the case of the “poll” I refer to in the OP, “Other” is nothing more than a convenient catch-all for those who are betwixt and between, for one reason or another…

Freddy, I always get a bit excited when you post something new.

Thanks! I get excited too, but for different reasons. Like I said in my last thread, I’m always skating on thin ice…:worried:

I am, all of the above and none of the above. Sorry, for confusing you, again

You do it so well… :waiting:

kimdl93
08-21-2013, 06:16 PM
Freddy, I would see the two genders as merely the opposite ends of a spectrum...if we're to use the color analogy, green really is a certain frequency of light which to us (generally) appears green...a slightly higher or lower frequency elicits a different response in our eyes. Color, and gender, don't have to be either-or.

Tracii G
08-21-2013, 07:12 PM
I'm flaming so I'm not on the list.

carhill2mn
08-21-2013, 08:33 PM
I think "other" would be appropriate gender choice for many of us; or maybe "both". I think it is Australia where "other" is now a legal choice. IMHO "gender" and "sex" should not be interchangeable.

ReineD
08-21-2013, 08:47 PM
OK, but wouldn’t you say that there are TWO genders ...

Have a look at the "Genderbread Person (http://deimel.org/commentary/b_images/genderbread_bg.jpg)" diagram.

There are four different layers that comprise the total concept of "Gender": gender identity, gender expression, biological sex, and sexual orientation.

The members of this forum can be anywhere along any of those four lines. It's not as simple as saying there are just two genders, unless you are thinking of just the biological sex aspect but even then, there are people who are intersex.

StephanieCD21
08-22-2013, 08:34 AM
I personally do not like labels. I find that they create containers for bigotry. But, for the sake of the thread, I will say that every single person can be put under the heading of "Gender Tourist". It is then up to each individual to decide to travel or not.

Frédérique
08-22-2013, 02:42 PM
Freddy, I would see the two genders as merely the opposite ends of a spectrum...if we're to use the color analogy, green really is a certain frequency of light which to us (generally) appears green...a slightly higher or lower frequency elicits a different response in our eyes. Color, and gender, don't have to be either-or.

Yes, I agree, and the genders that are sequestered at either end of the human “spectrum” can be perceived differently, depending on what one’s level of perception is. In the case of my color analogy (similar but different), I should’ve mentioned color-blindness – is there such a thing as gender-blindness? More importantly, when does all of this apart-ness break down, and we all become simply human beings?

BTW, I had another analogy ready to go, but I put it back in my purse. Maybe later…:heehee:

regina young
08-22-2013, 04:13 PM
Up front, I do not know a lot about labels. It seems all of my life there has been a feminine side to me, which I unfortunately (or not) kept very private about. I have lived my life as a male, so perhaps that is what I am and nothing more. But, that seems too easy. Being human and multi faceted allows for so many variables, and in this society, variations. The other person who resides inside of me might disagree, sometimes she does, but we mostly get on just fine. I like the term someone else used bi-gender, but confess I do not know its meaning and so will find out. I am me, he and she.
Regina

renee elizabeth
08-22-2013, 06:06 PM
i identify with being dual-gendered, i enjoy being a man, but i also enjoy being a woman

ReineD
08-23-2013, 01:18 AM
I should’ve mentioned color-blindness – is there such a thing as gender-blindness? More importantly, when does all of this apart-ness break down, and we all become simply human beings?

Totally agree. I have gender-blindness, which at times is a detriment when I post in this forum. I've never felt that male and female roles should be different. It is perfectly OK, in my view, to be feminine AND work on a truck or wrestle, just as men do not lose their man-cards when they join quilting bees or do some scrap-booking. I think that well-groomed men (the metrosexuals) are sexy, just as I think that a woman with no makeup on who wears pants is beautiful.

On this board though, there are many people who like to maintain a rather wide gender divide and distinct gender roles with specific looks assigned to each gender.

tanya2013
08-23-2013, 01:50 AM
i would say im male unless dressed up then im female so i would have to say other i think.

TheMissus
08-23-2013, 05:11 AM
I'd like to see 'none' written below 'other'. In my mind gender is a subjective, social creation so 'none' is just as valid (and silly).

Personally, I'd choose 'none' and I have a vagina. That's because having a vagina doesn't mean I know for sure what it's like to be a female. For all I know, I could think and feel exactly like a Labrador!

Given I've never been inside anyone else's head, including a labrador's, I'll never know what it's like to be anyone but me. Hence, gender doesn't exist.

Now, ask everyone what biological SEX they are and 'other' or 'none' just leaves me wondering...:eek:?!

Requal Jo
08-23-2013, 05:22 AM
I am a male who enjoys wearing female clothing: nothing more. Requal Jo. I also saw the other site while browsing and did not answer.

Lorileah
08-23-2013, 11:56 AM
is there such a thing as gender-blindness?

I have gender-blindness when it comes to dating...does that count?

Diane Edwards
08-24-2013, 01:34 PM
Girl want-a-be......:cute:

That pretty much sums it up for me....

linda allen
08-24-2013, 04:44 PM
As I read posts on this forum, I begin to understand that certain words mean different things to different people and some become very defensive about their definitions of certain words.

It was pointed out earlier that some children are born not entirely male or female but somewhere in between. It's pretty rare, but it happens. I believe some members here are in that group.

In most parts of the USA, at least, you have to be "male" or "female". Get a driver's license, get a job, enroll in school, join the military, even go to a public restroom, you have only two selections, male or female. Even when you are born, the doctor checks "male" or "female". Basically, it's what's between your legs, not what's in your mind.

Now I know this thought is not popular with some members of this forum, and everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, but that's how it is, at least in the USA.

kimdl93
08-24-2013, 04:52 PM
[QUOTE=TheMissus;3273965

Personally, I'd choose 'none' and I have a vagina. That's because having a vagina doesn't mean I know for sure what it's like to be a female. For all I know, I could think and feel exactly like a Labrador!![/QUOTE]

Ok, now I'm offended. As someone who closely affiliates with a golden retriever, and thinks and feels much like a Chesapeake Bay retriever, I must strongly, and persistently, and obsessively object to that analogy. And furthermore...where is the ball, you had it a minute ago. Ball?

Frédérique
08-24-2013, 08:22 PM
In most parts of the USA, at least, you have to be "male" or "female". Get a driver's license, get a job, enroll in school, join the military, even go to a public restroom, you have only two selections, male or female. Even when you are born, the doctor checks "male" or "female". Basically, it's what's between your legs, not what's in your mind. Now I know this thought is not popular with some members of this forum, and everyone is entitled to his/her opinion, but that's how it is, at least in the USA.

This reminds me of a thread I started a few months ago. I had just received a questionnaire from the district court in Topeka, KS, and I had to declare whether I was male or female – there were NO other choices. Consider where I am. Naturally, I checked off “Male” and thought nothing about it. However, I thought it was a good question for the membership: Male or Female?

I was amazed that many people on this site, specifically those people who adhere to the broad description of “T” in LGBT, said they would go back to their birth gender and check the appropriate box. Interesting, and VERY revealing, if you ask me. What is in ones mind might not be actual reality, at least here in the USA, according to the ones who control society – you may think you’re one thing or another, but, at the end of the day, it ain’t necessarily so. However, you ARE free to do what they tell you...
:sad:

GeorgeA
08-25-2013, 04:30 PM
As to "other" it could mean "hermaphrodite"?

Karen kc
08-26-2013, 07:53 AM
I;m just an ole male, who enjoys wearing prettier clothes!

mariehart
08-26-2013, 08:12 AM
I'm female, it's just that I was born with a male body. So I have to spend my days pretending to be a man. It's difficult let me tell you. I have no idea how a man's mind works. But I pass very well as a man until they get to know me.

On another forum I saw the question about how it would feel to wake up in the morning in the body of the opposite sex. My reply: 'I wake up like that every morning'. It's no fun at all.

suchacutie
08-26-2013, 11:21 AM
I see the historical difference between F and M2F but the fractions in between would be other.

And I identify as bigendered so I am some fraction in between.

Suzanne F
08-26-2013, 11:28 AM
I would have to say bi gendered. I was born male but have a girl side too. I want to be ok with both.
Suzanne

Seana Summer
08-26-2013, 02:19 PM
As to "other" it could mean "hermaphrodite"?

This was my first thought when I seen this post a few days ago. (Sorry I haven't responded sooner but I have had very intermittent internet service lately) from the stand point of biology this would certainly be an "other".

As far gender as a state of mind...... Those who just can't make up their minds as to which of the above categories they fit, could check other. It seems far more convenient than going back and changing your response every time the wind changes direction.

Myself....I am a male without question. I dress....... in a dress........ from time to time....... for me