PDA

View Full Version : What is it

jenni_xx
08-21-2013, 01:22 PM
Some regard dressing as a compulsion. Others shy away from that particular word, saying that in their case, it doesn't simply describe their desire/want/circumstance in which they dress.

There has also been discussions about what "causes this", from discussions that wonder whether it is something within us that has been present since birth. That is, something that lay dormant until a specific moment in our lives. This view is aligned to those who feel as though femininity, or at least an expression of femininity, is inherent within us.

Others have come across crossdressing at a later stage in life, using it as an outlet that enables them to escape the pressures of life - to reduce stress for example.

What are your reasons as to what you believe were the catalysts, the reasons, why you "turned" to, or felt "compelled" to, this particular lifestyle?

My own personal opinion is that is a behavioral "trait". A "trait" that we become attracted to as we develop as children. The reasons why we are attracted to it being wide and varied. It could be that we experienced a positive, comforting moment as a child that we hark back to as adults, that we hark back to and subconsciously try to recreate, for comfort, throughout our lives. For others, because it surfaces around the time of puberty, it is circumstantial - again subconsciously trying to align ourselves with something that we found enjoyment in at a specific moment in our lives.

Others may feel that it is deeper than that. That neurologically speaking our minds are "wired" in such a way that we don't subdue a femininity that is within all of us, but instead have chosen, again subconsciously, to embrace such feelings and express them externally. Personally, I quite like this latter explanation. An explanation that suggests that we are able to tap into a side of us that, through cultural/societal/anthropological restrictions notwithstanding, we are willing to express. The logical conclusion to adhering to such a view however is that it would require an acceptance that the capability to cross-dress, to "play around with gender roles" would then be something that is inherent in every single male of the species.

Take fancy dress parties as an example. In such scenarios, men will often dress as women. And women dress as men. Is a subconscious "desire" being expressed in such situations? Any excuse, in a socially acceptable environment, will see numerous men (and woman) take on a role that is traditionally (culturally) assigned to their opposite gender. Cultural "phenomenons" have come from this as a result (The "Rocky Horror Picture Show" being a superb example).

Many crossdressers, in their desire to dress, adopt such a "masquerade". In a theoretical sense, the reasoning behind "masquerade" is something that has been debated, from a philosopical, academic perspective for some time. In film studies for example, whereby the act of presenting oneself as someone who they are not (otherwise known as "acting") has focused upon an individuals capability to express themselves in such a way that has no bearing upon their own identity as an individual. It's one reason why entertainment - fictional entertainment - has been so popular. For it allows people an avenue to escape themselves, and portray a character that is distanced from themselves so successfully. It's why writers have been able to create characters that are wide and varied, yet what makes the characters they create so compelling is an ability to see the world from a different point of view.

Adhering to such a view requires one to take on an existential perspective. Yet isn't that something that crossdressers do, every single time they (we) dress? We create an external version our our inner selves, and in doing so, create an idealised persona that we want others to accept. What becomes jarring to outsiders - people we will encounter in every day life, be it a spouse, a friend, or a stranger just walking down the street, is that such internal expressions don't adhere to THEIR own perception of what is expected, of what they EXPECT to come across.

Yet at it's very base level, it's only fashion. It's only clothes. But then is it? If it were only clothes, then this website wouldn't have so many posts that focus upon things such as make-up, or female body forms (such as breasts). Nor would this site, and the transgendered community as a whole, have felt it necessary to refer to others using a female pronoun. A fact that suggests that we, as transgendered people strive for something more. And that something more being to forfeit our male identity and to be regarded as something that we are not. The opposite sex.

I have often wondered how a crossdreesser would feel if skirts, blouses, bras, panties, heels, etc etc, became an acceptable part of the male attire. Which is something that begs the question. Are we attracted to certain items of clothing/accessories etc BECAUSE they are traditionally associated to the opposite gender? That is a question that has the capability to invoke numerous reactions, numerous suppositions, numerous opinions. And it is a question that is important to ask, for, for me at least, it is a question that gets to the very heart of at least attempting to understand why we would be attracted to dressing and presenting ourselves in such a way.

franlee
08-21-2013, 05:08 PM
It is a activity that I enjoy, "not a problem". And is only as complicated as I make it. I control it not it controlling me. But I do understand that it can and sometimes is compulsive just like any other pleasure, it can be abused if overindulged in. And I have to admit it is one of my favorite habits. Smoking and drinking were too but they were destructive so II chose to quit them, CDing is not hurting me or anyone else as long as I control it and that is a fact and has never been a problem.

kimdl93
08-21-2013, 05:26 PM
I don't think that its sufficient to describe what we do as simply a learned behavior. There may be some learned or cultivated elements to CDing, but my guess is that for many of us, the origins are biological - whether that be genetics or hormonal influences in the womb.

Of course, I can't prove this, but at least its based on emerging evidence and not my opinion or conjecture.

Fortuneta
08-21-2013, 05:47 PM
I love the tranquility...peace of mind...knowing this is me showing on the outside. Its seeing a gg in a outfit I'm attracted to and know I can purchase it and will wear it soon. Looking at that same girl and know how it feels wearing beautiful undergarments and feeling the silk swishing as you walk. The matching jewlery
and maybe the perfume is near my touch.
Knowing we cannot have both worlds...we can have pieces of each.

susan54
08-21-2013, 07:20 PM
It has been said before but I will say it again - we all cross dress for different reasons. For me (heterosexual but no current partner), it is compulsive but not sexual. At home I spend most of my time in skirts or dresses, with a bra and forms, but no make up or wig unless I go out, when I use a woman's name, as I do here. But out in public I am ACTING, that's all - I am on stage. As I have said elsewhere, I regard myself as a gender tourist, cherry picking some of the fun things women do.

I have no desire to blend in or think of myself as a woman. I want to stand out as someone who has really got their outfit and elegance together. I am acting, and I am entirely happy for the people I interact with to know I am male. I love clothes that flatter me, but I also like to be aware that I am wearing them, so textures and movement of fabric are important. I adore the breeze on my legs as it explores the area within my skirt. But,most of all, I adore feedback from women about how I look and act. I genuinely welcome feedback that is negative - it is usually about a particular item of clothing, but I get a huge amount of positive feedback, and this becomes as addictive as the clothes themselves, and I suspect that part of my addiction to buying yet more clothes is the feedback I get from shop staff on how I look in them (and, let's face it, they sell more clothes if they gush a bit - I still love it). This does not explain all of it as I also buy dresses etc as a man and try them on without the staff seeing me.

Pronouns do not bother me. There is something quite nice about being referred to as 'she' or 'madam' which I occasionally get from strangers, but I do not expect it, as most of the people (who are mainly women) are perfectly aware that I am male - I even flirt a bit while retaining female movement and voice and they flirt back.

So - would I be as enthusiastic about these clothes if men could wear them freely? Without question. I would be thrilled to get the sort of feedback on my outfits that women get. I don't just want to wear the clothes - I want to be good at it and be perceived as being good at it. But never, ever, ever, do I want to be a woman. To this end, I have been to a high end colour and style advisor - the best money I ever spent on clothes, and all without buying anything new as part of it. They persuaded me to dress in a more upmarket style - along with a change from the 'winter' I believed myself to be to an 'autumn' - and it was like flicking a switch - suddenly I achieved the standard of image I had aspired to, and this just gets better and better as I age and get more experienced with clothes. Though I slightly resent the money and time this drains, I would not want to be 'cured' - it is not a problem, so it does not need a solution. The bottom line is that it is FUN.

I have done the fancy dress thing, deliberately playing down the femininity, but even with just a dress and heels (no make up, jewellery, wig or bust) I somehow look good - these clothes seem to suit me more than male clothing (I have also been told I look far better in a kilt than in trousers). I find myself unable to mock women the way many men in fancy dress do, because i love and respect women - and this may be why those who see me thus suspect the clothes are my own.

I have a fabulous wardrobe that women have said they envy, and I confess I rather like that. I feel slightly (but only slightly) guilty at the shock on a woman's face when I tell her how many skirts or dresses I have. Even a clothes-holic with her own boutique says she knows no woman with as many clothes as I have.

I confess I do not even open a lot of the stuff on here, because it does not relate to me, but now and again an item grabs my interest like this one. And I feel that those of us who are not in it for arousal or as part of a transitional journey need to say this on this Forum from time to time because there are GG partners here who read the posts on finding out they are with a cross-dresser, and a woman in this situation needs to know that not everyone who does this wants to BE a woman, or become attracted to men when dressed,or use endearments to cross-dressed men (I am not knocking this - it is just not for me). I sometimes feel that we are in a minority here, though I believe (I have no evidence) that we make up the great majority of cross-dressers. I should also add that they need not worry that their partners are unlikely to want as many clothes as I have - I seem to be part of a small minority here. Thankfully I do not have the handbag habit recently mentioned by one correspondent.

sometimes_miss
08-21-2013, 07:35 PM
Jenni, the problem you're going to run into is, that there's no ONE and only one reason for this. And one easy reason that it's not 'just a compulsion' is, well, because it does not respond to OCD treatments. Some people dress for a sexual turn on; some dress for an escape from whatever horrible male life they're stuck in; some are either TS or only partially there (maybe bisexual, but with a female 'base' rather than male); some (me) it's some type of conditioned response to relieving some other type of discomfort (you can read my bio on the writers forum to discover how a normal boy can be turned into a person with all kinds of TG/TS feelings/behaviors without actually being TS). Along with those, there are lots of other reasons for this behavior. So you're never going to discover what 'it' is, because it's many things. It would be like trying to exactly define a cookie; you can't, because there are so many variations on the ingredients and the design.

BLUE ORCHID
08-21-2013, 08:19 PM
Hi Jenni, All I know is it's just who I am, And it's what I do!!

Oddlee
08-21-2013, 10:20 PM
I have known I was a cross-dresser since I was about 6, scores of years ago. When I was young (pre-teen), I wondered what sex I was supposed to be, but never felt strongly that I was supposed to be female. At the same time, I was becoming a scientist and problem-solver (typically male attributes).

My most recent girlfriend, who could not, after all, handle my cross-dressing, has a son who is OCD. She shared with me a story her son had written describing his OCD experience, and I have to say it mirrored to a large extent the "fascination" I have with women's clothing. My daughter says, "Dad, it's just clothes." We all know that it's more than that from our perspective, but maybe from an outsider's perspective she's correct.

As for activity-specific clothing - I'm a cyclist, and there is no difference between men's and women's cycling shorts, and I have no care about that - my idea of dressing is born of my idea of femininity developed during the 50's - 70's. So here's a question: where does your sense of feminine style come from; what governs the clothing you chose?

Be well,
Lee

Cynthia Anne
08-21-2013, 10:50 PM
As far fetched as it may sound my doctor told me that some lady had my soul before me, and now wants it back! Until someone proves my doctor wrong; that works for me! What ever!!!

TheMissus
08-21-2013, 11:07 PM
Susan, I think you're the common CD type too. Just read other sites! (They're either like you or sexual like my H)

And do you think it's maybe as simple as you just value women a lot? You're emulating that which you admire?

Seems simple to me :)

Lizwriter
08-22-2013, 07:57 AM
I love 'gender tourist'. And I have been asking some of the same questions as Jenni - if it were as socially 'acceptable' for a man to dress as a woman as it is for a woman to dress masculinininininally (yup, that's not a word, is it?) - would it be as attractive. Clearly from responses it depends on many things - as both Jenni, Susan, The Missus and many others describe. But for some - is there an element of 'the forbidden' in any of it? That's not to downplay in any way the prejudice that must often be experienced. But simply a question.

Beverley Sims
08-22-2013, 11:08 AM
"We are attracted to female clothing".
I would not wear a skirt deigned for men.
Only one reason I would not consider wearing a kilt.
If the occasion arose, which it has, I would wear a kilt as a man in Scotland. It would be worn with respect and no cross dressing urges would come into play.
Give me a female pair of jeans and I would wear them at the drop of a hat. :)