PDA

View Full Version : Attack of the gender police

Marlena Dahlstrom
12-23-2005, 10:15 PM
"JACKSON, Mo. — Nathan Warmack wanted to honor his heritage by wearing a Scottish kilt to his school dance. Then the principal told him to change into a pair of pants.

"What began with a few yards of tartan has sparked an international debate about freedom, symbols and cultural dress. More than 1,600 people have signed an Internet petition seeking an apology for the high-school senior.

"Scots in the United States are assembling a traditional ensemble they hope Warmack will wear to the prom, and his family is trying to change the school's dress-code policy."

Full story here. (http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2002700218_kilt23.html)

Guess some people have trouble with males in anything vaguely resembling a dress. Sheesh.... :rolleyes:

HaleyPink2000
12-23-2005, 10:38 PM
I'm a Scott/Irish and proud of it.
Very Celtic!!!
Haley:)

KathrynW
12-23-2005, 11:39 PM
"JACKSON, Mo. — Nathan Warmack wanted to honor his heritage by wearing a Scottish kilt to his school dance. Then the principal told him to change into a pair of pants.
Guess some people have trouble with males in anything vaguely resembling a dress. Sheesh.... :rolleyes:
JACKSON, MO, that explains everything. I keep saying...location is everything. JACKSON, MO is not NYC, SF, or near any big city. Hello? ;)

Billijo49504
12-24-2005, 12:15 AM
Do we all feel the terms, Red Neck, White Sock and Blue Ribbon Beer, fits here??? Hmmmm?:)

KathrynW
12-24-2005, 01:15 AM
Do we all feel the terms, Red Neck, White Sock and Blue Ribbon Beer, fits here??? Hmmmm?:)
Jackson, MO and a lot of other parts of Missouri = Redneck Territory.
That's just the way it is. Nuff Said... ;)

susancheerleader
12-24-2005, 08:14 AM
...More than 1,600 people have signed an Internet petition seeking an apology for the high-school senior....

Heck I'll sign the petition.
I was always wondering if a guy could get away with wearing a KILT in place of a skirt to bypass the stereo type that guys can't wear skirts.

Guess I know the answer now.

Lawren
12-24-2005, 08:30 AM
When will people ever learn???? I am Scottish/British/French and Huron Indian. Heck , yes! I'll sign the petiton. Once as Lawren and again as Lawernce if I can get away with it.

Kimberly
12-24-2005, 08:46 AM
It's a KILT ffs... Not a skirt.

ARGH! :mad:

Katiegirl
12-24-2005, 08:53 AM
It would seem that the senior at Jackson has managed to insult the Scottish people and their descents in one move.

There are many nations round the world that wear the kilt so what is the matter with that guy, is he frightened of hairy legs?

I am sure that if he paid a visit to the Highlands of Scotland, they would give him a very warm welcome.

:)

Mind of a Woman, Body of a Man, Life is a Bitch.

TGMarla
12-24-2005, 09:57 AM
Y'know, if ignorance is bliss, most of America is in love. There is absolutely nothing wrong with wearing a kilt. It's not a feminine article of clothing, even if it is a skirt. I think his wanting to honor his heritage is a fine thing, and not subject to ridicule. The school is dead wrong here.

Sarahgurl371
12-24-2005, 10:50 AM
Read this story yesterday. Ain't it amazing? Its a freakin' kilt. The guy has Scottish blood, and wants to honer his heritage. Man, what the hell is wrong with this world? Get over it!

On a side note, its nice to see the Scottish community rallying behind him, they are even giving him a full outfit to were to the dance. I hope he goes thru with it. What a wonderful message!

MelissaPaige
12-24-2005, 10:57 AM
Hi,

I'm Melissa. I've lurked here for a long time, but I had to join and post after I saw that you all picked up on this. That is my former high school.

This isn't an Attack of the Gender Police. This is an Attack of the Idiot. Lots of people hate that principal, including teachers. He's done a lot of boneheaded things beyond that.

Jackson really isn't redneck country. There's around 15,000 people there, and Jackson and Cape Girardeau (35 to 40,000) are getting very close to each other's city limits. So it's actually an area of around 50,000 people...decent size. If you want to see real redneck country, I know of some areas. But Jackson is not one of them. Though I will admit that the area is quite conservative...which I don't really have a problem with since that mostly matches me too.

I've come out to several people in the area...some are accepting while others are not. Some just don't want to talk about it and are neutral. I would say there is a 50/50 split as to approval/disapproval. So, honestly, it's not as bad as you all think. It just takes one person being an idiot and national news to make it seem that way.

If you have any questions about it, let me know. I might be able to answer them. And nice to meet all of you!

Christina Nicole
12-24-2005, 11:30 AM
Isn't it so nice that all of the tolerant people want to tar all of the people in an entire region of the country due to the actions of one person! What ever happened to the golden rule?

Warm regards,
Christina Nicole

Shelly Preston
12-24-2005, 12:23 PM
Hi

I wish I had an email address for this IDIOT.

He presumably calls himself an educator of young minds.

But with such a small minded approach I find it hard to believe.

He only wanted to wear the national dress of Scotland.

It would have been the same had he been Irish.

Do you think he would refuse to admit Sir Jackie Stewart, or Sir Sean

Connery, if they were guest of Honour at one of his school functions.

It seems strange as Americans are proud of their heritage

I'm afraid to say this is the kind of story that gives Americans a bad name.

Thankfully there not all the same.

KathrynW
12-24-2005, 12:36 PM
I wish I had an email address for this IDIOT.
There ya go...
Knock yourself out... ;)
http://tinyurl.com/d4vdw

JennyCD
12-24-2005, 12:42 PM
I think the whole thing absurd. Nothing in the world wrong with a kilt. Being of mostly Irish decent, I would love to own an Irish kilt or two. They are very expensive, so this kid or his parents shelled out a good deal of money for that kilt and he should have been allowed to wear it.

Narrow-minded fool.

Sam-antha
12-24-2005, 01:02 PM
Me I have three of the offending items. Worn for most of the year too,except for the occasional foray into worn out jeans or baggy slacks. The second most used item ar shorts (cycling) and shorts (short).
He is biassed but then a lot of people are objectionable too. Its sad that the teacher (adminstrator) of a school should be a member of that clan. Does he think that the offender looks fem ? Or does he not like colour ?

Shelley have you said thank you to Kathyrn and have you contacted the offender, Rick Mac Lard (a Rick can be a haystack or something that happens to your back e.g. rick-ed ? His photo lives with the post with the school info.

miss_sarah
12-24-2005, 02:00 PM
I saw this come down my AP Headlines yesterday too.

Here in central Illinois there's a constant battle between sides on the UofI "Chief Illiniwek" debate. Odd to see an administrator be so offended with Scot heritage when he oversees a school that I'm sure proudly supports its sports teams prancing around with indian heads, spears and other native icons all over helmets, uniforms and such. Piss on em all i guess :( There are MANY with native heritage that find such things extremely offending...

MelissaPaige, does the school have a mascot? (physically that is, one that dresses in native garb at games)

Interesting...

Of course I support the family on this one, but then I'm one for allowing anyone to wear whatever they want, provided it's not over the line lewd or vulgar. I mean, we've all seen the news stories about kids trying to actually full-on cross-dress at school functions. I can't help but keep hope that narrow-minded stupidity will continue to decrease. I mean, I don't think it's a HUGE stretch to say that these attitudes (fear of that which is different, not understanding multi-culturalism in our country, etc) are some of the same attitudes that supported slavery, treatment of chinese rail construction labor, and other major blunders in our country's history...

Sorry, this kind of stuff just really gets my panties in a wad!!! :)

Shelly Preston
12-24-2005, 02:42 PM
Hi

Many thanks to Kathryn :hugs:

I have just completed an email to the principal.

making my feelings known.

i love the welcome statment on the school logo
Welcome to the home of the indians (national dress ???)

Anybody think I will get a reply ????

Sam-antha
12-24-2005, 02:46 PM
Shelly, good on you,....... want to publish it ..... ? Should you get the unlikely reply then:that you just must, have to publish. Surely for the PRO of the school he will write. Do not forget there must be a local newspaper for his edification.

sarahsfiona GG
12-24-2005, 03:18 PM
One of the coolest things I've ever seen was a gent fully kitted out in his kilt. I was in Edinburgh trying to get back to London. Since my friend had wrecked his car outside of Edinburgh (he thought the road was one way and was on what I would call the RIGHT side of the road (left lane), but over there, it's the WRONG side) we had to hop a plane back to England. There were several men decked out in full regalia, so I assume they worked for the airport. Ohhhhh, my. <swoon>
:<3: :cheer: :love:

Fiona GG

MarinaTwelve200
12-24-2005, 05:21 PM
That principal must be a real dolt. If anybody has ever seen a real scotish kilt, it may not be bifurcated but is immediately obvious from its construction that it is not made like a ladies skirt at all. It is the most regal and "Manly" of garments and is well suited for formal affairs.---Being of Scotish heritage myself, and knowing my tartan colors, I have long fully intended to buy a kilt outfit for myself when I can afford it--but they are quite expensive.

I bet dollars to doughnuts that that principal ALSO thinks that CD=Gay---A double insult (not to be putting down gays, but such ignorance irritates the hell out of me, and is a pet peeve of mine)

MarinaTwelve200
12-24-2005, 05:24 PM
That principal must be a real dolt. If anybody has ever seen a real scotish kilt, it may not be bifurcated but is immediately obvious from its construction that it is not made like a ladies skirt at all. It is the most regal and "Manly" of garments and is well suited for formal affairs.---Being of Scotish heritage myself, and knowing my tartan colors,(McDonald-ClanRanald) I have long fully intended to buy a kilt outfit for myself when I can afford it--but they are quite expensive.

I bet dollars to doughnuts that that principal ALSO thinks that CD=Gay---A double insult (not to be putting down gays, but such ignorance irritates the hell out of me, and is a pet peeve of mine)

Sam-antha
12-24-2005, 06:40 PM
Shelley P I have also been to that school with e-mail, blind copy to the PE instructor.
I had fun doing it. Did yuo ?

Gurls, canwe get back on thread ? i know that I am wondrful in the kilt, but that will keep until I meet with you.

Kimberly
12-24-2005, 07:03 PM
i love the welcome statment on the school logo
Welcome to the home of the indians (national dress ???)
That annoyed me to.

Home? Not any more...

freshfrankie
12-24-2005, 07:43 PM
I'm a printer gals. I would make him some personalized"From the desk of..." pads. Eleven inches tall and one half inches wide. Perfect for narrow minded people! Merry Christmas and a comfortable New Year to all! Big hugs!

Love
Jeannie

Jillian310
12-24-2005, 09:22 PM
There was a bizarre case in the Pittsburgh PA area recently, where the accused liked to dress in cheerleader outfits. In the saturated press coverage, the lead invariable described him as a man that dressed as a cheerleader, whether that bore any real relevance to the rest of the report or not. I believe the media loves to dwell on what they perceive as in any way salacious. And unfortunately, we seem to fall within that unfair and inaccurate perception. Que sera.

MelissaPaige
12-24-2005, 10:01 PM
Miss_Sarah...yes, the school does have a student each year who dresses in Native American costume for games and rallies.

racquel
12-24-2005, 10:28 PM
I also sent an e-mail to the principal to express my belief that a free and democratic society can withstand a scot in a kilt.

Debbie Kong
12-24-2005, 11:13 PM
My ancestry is Scottish. There is nothing Feminine about a man's kilt. Many enemy soldiers have met there demise at the hands of a kilted out Scotsman. The Principal is fortunate that he is still alive.

Debbie "MacFie" Kong

Billijo49504
12-25-2005, 12:13 AM
If the principal is so bad, whyahasn't the school board or the parents got rid of him.
When your wages come from tax money, the taxpayers are your boss. Sometime they need to be reminded.

robinLynn
12-25-2005, 12:32 AM
I am native american and have dealt with this. live and let live get over it. If the said person wants to honor their heritage let them be. We dont stop other cultures in this country from honoring their heritage. I thought this was fought for land that said equal rights

sarahjan
12-25-2005, 02:03 AM
This is the type of PC thing *rap we are starting to get in England.

Here in England many Scots have taken to no longer wear a real Sgian Dhub ( The small knife carried in the top of the sock) as they have been stopped by Security Guards and the Police for carrying a knife, but it is OK for other enthic groups to carry big knifes becuase they are religious symbols.

(If anyone is interested Sgian Dhub means black knife. Black as in secret/hidden, it used to be that these were kept hidden upon your person for added protection after you had given up your many arms during a meeting in case of treachery.)

I regularlly wear a semi formal Dress Kilt and Jacket to Black Tie Dinners so I suggest this Head needs to steam his Head in an Oven. The last Dinner I went to was on board a cruise line with 400 HR Directors and there were some 15 people wearing Highland Dress. The next King of the UK wears a Kilt.

kwebb
12-25-2005, 03:02 AM
Maybe he's thinking of some kind of 'disruption' from it. And trying to avoid that.

Just think if he ok'd it.

And then the next week ,some boy wants to wear a skirt. You know its gonna happen. THEN what do you think he'd do?

I remember a case from Florida some years ago in the 90s when a high school jr wanted to wear a prom dress and wig to prom. She was more ts than anything I think, very feminine mannerisms, they had her on CNN. I think the classmates were behind her. She just kept saying this was, "her".

What gets me about this whole thing is a reminder that clothing carries alot of power and symbolism. Whether its considered 'masculine' or 'femiminine' or not today.

It seems a matter of perception. Its obvious a kilt ain't a skirt. Physically speaking, yes, but symbolically, no. To to some people, they either want it to be or it is ( a skirt).

Look at men's fashion in medival England and France. Wigs, tights, skirts, ruffles, lace, make-up. Same stuff we like to wear fellas. But back then these same items carried a completely differnet kind of symbolic power.

Its weird how stuff can flip flop. But the men dressing like this back then (the mid ages) weren't doing it to reveal some hidden femininity, that was just how they dressed. Maybe some did, the chevalier d'Eon for sure. Seemed like the women always wore these long flowing skirts and dresses.

Just like some today dress, but not to reveal an inner feminine aspect of personality, some do. Sooooo many variations on perceptions and feelings were Tg is concerned. Where society is concerned. All of these so-called rules and limitations. But alot of them don't reflect reality at all.

Lawren
12-25-2005, 08:42 AM
Oh No!!!!!!! We can't let this guy in! He's wearing a frilly blouse!!! Good grief, what a world

Sam-antha
12-25-2005, 12:33 PM
I count that as three e-mails. any more ? Do not forget a blind copy to someoneelse on the board, or even the paper that published the story.
:mad: :p :p :p

PS Sarajan tells a true fact, terrorists lurk with knives in England. Here in Scotland the knife is still recognised and worn, if we want to do so. Myself, I just wear the Kilt, socks and shoes, no sporran, no knife. What would I do with a sporran in the hills and for shopping, there is a bit of plastic that does the job, or a rolled up five pound note. As for the knife, that belongs with evening dress, really. (Most sgian dhu hilts carry a semi-prescious stone across the top. Wouldn't you look twice at a GG with a jeweled purse ?
PS I do wear a shirt too.

Jillian_Faith
01-12-2006, 11:10 PM
An interesting update on this thread. Maybe not a direct step forward for CDers but mabe a step back for "the gender police".

Thu Jan 12, 10:51 AM ET Reuters:

KANSAS CITY, Missouri (Reuters) - A Missouri high school student who was barred from a school dance because he was wearing a Scottish kilt has received an apology from school officials after the action sparked outrage among Scottish heritage supporters.
In a letter dated January 9, Jackson School District Superintendent Ron Anderson apologized to Jackson High School senior Nathan Warmack and said the district would train staffers how to properly apply the school dress code.
The letter came after more than two months of debate and discussion about the actions of school officials when they asked Warmack, who is of Scottish descent, to change into trousers before entering the dance on November 5.
News of the event sparked an Internet petition, which was ultimately signed by more than 10,000 supporters and championed by the Clan Gunn Society of North America, which promotes Scottish heritage and traditions.
"Individual members felt like there had been an injustice to the young man," said society president Rich Gunn.

suezeq
01-13-2006, 09:13 AM
just let him come to bonnie scotland the we jimmys and haggies will have him lolololo

jennifer easton
01-13-2006, 01:17 PM
Hey now! KathrynW your on the edge now I live in Mo!
Jennifer