PDA

View Full Version : PSA: Beware of the Power of Denial and Suppression

Anne2345
08-23-2013, 02:47 PM
"What a waste it is to lose one's mind. Or not to have a mind is being very wasteful. How true that is." - Dan Quayle.

I'm sorry, sometimes I simply can't help myself, but the above quote always makes me laugh.

Still, although totally butchered by Mr. Quayle, and regardless of the fact that I am taking the intent of the quote completely out of context, Mr. Quayle's misquote somehow seems apropos to this post.

In this, we all know that the power of the mind is awesome. Humankind, both individually and collectively, has performed magnificent feats and accomplishments. Regardless of one's individual and specific internal values, political views, faith, or moral compass, which constitute entirely separate issues not relevant herein, it is because of the power of the mind that we as a society and culture exist in our current form and state.

For all of the good that has been accomplished, we owe everything to the power of the mind. Even from the bad, however, we have learned much from our mistakes, and continue to do so daily.

"With great power comes great responsibility." - Peter Parker's Uncle Ben.

Given the potential power of any individual mind, I believe we all have a responsibility to both ourselves and others to wield such power responsibly.

The mind, though, can be a complicated, powerful f'ing twat capable of performing what should be impossible acts of self-deception. Specifically, I'm referring to those ******* mental mindf*cks "denial" and "suppression."

These two powerful special-interest mind-wasting forces, specifically, have performed a real con-job on my life. By and through my own personal failure to acknowledge and admit so long ago what I knew to be true to myself, and to embrace myself for who I really was and am, I failed miserably in my responsibility to myself.

Fortunately, however, I have taken, and continue to take, great pains and effort to rectify this epic failure of self. No more shall I allow the forces of denial and suppression to wreak havoc upon my life in the manner I so did before.

These days, and for some time now as my friends here know, I fully acknowledge and accept who and what I am - I am a MtF transsexual.

Moreover, I am no longer sitting around idly, twiddling my thumbs, watching the clock go by, and doing nothing about it. To the contrary, I am actively in the process of transition. It is very much my desire, goal, and absolute need to make my life workable for me. To do otherwise would be to wither away and die. I have travelled far, much too far, down that road before, and I know its ultimate destination for the dark and final truth it presents and offers. And I reject that road.

Still, it has taken much work to arrive at my current location on my path, and it will take much, much more work to see my journey through. The point is that none is this is easy. If it is necessary that you, too, travel this path, as those that came before me warned, you must prepare yourself for a potentially long, hard, and painful journey.

If you are like I was, however, it all begins with pushing past the barriers and walls of those two mental cohorts in crime: denial and suppression. These forces can be formidable obstacles. Overcoming my own internal denial and suppression of self was the most difficult, painful, chaotic, and intense experience of my life. But I did it, and I am quite proud of myself for having done so.

Make absolutely no mistake, though. Denial and suppression are total mindf*cks capable of completely deceiving the self. If you don't believe me, pay more attention to the words and actions of some of the members here. If you look closely enough, as some thankfully did in my case, you may be surprised what you see.

For me, I had completely convinced myself I was nothing but a happy-go-lucky crossdresser without a care in the world, just flitting about to and fro. Just two years ago and some change, for example, I wrote about the virtues of how great it was to be a closet dwelling crossdresser. The funny thing, though, is that I was on the complete brink of mental collapse and on the verge of breakdown, and I didn't even recognize it. But still, there I was, all la-dee-da-dee-da, dancing around in a field of daisies, chirping with songbirds, and flying around aimlessly with butterflies.

My previous life is now incomprehensible to me. I can hardly even believe I was that person. I suppose I cannot believe I was that person because the truth is that I was never truly that person in the first place. Yet, I did my absolute damnedest to buy into my own internal lies and deceit. And in hindsight, it was ridiculous. Just utterly ridiculous and completely self-destructive.

Even more ridiculous, though, is that I entitled the post I referenced above as "My Closet is My Blessed Sanctuary." Not that there is anything inherently wrong with the post in and of itself. It's just that it should never, ever have been written by me.

If you want a good laugh, and are curious to see the awesome and destructive power of denial and suppression actively at play, you can check out my "Closet" post here. (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?154956-My-Closet-is-My-Blessed-Sanctuary.-Is-Yours) It's just one of many, many, many examples that I and others here are able to offer.

And if after this, you still don't believe that the mind is capable of committing such chicanery, well, you may consider yourself warned, and proceed at your own risk . . . .

melissaK
08-23-2013, 04:17 PM
HAHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa. You understate it.

Denial, suppression, they about killed me. Denial and suppression take mental energy and I poured myself into them until I disintegrated. Mental health professionals have made thousands off me as I put myself back together.

To twist an Obi-wan Star Wars phrase "The Jungian Wastes are not to be travelled lightly". (It's "Jundland" on the movie)

Anyway, do be careful - get out of denial, get past suppression. Admit you are MTF, or gender fluid, or whatever. Live an authentic life. It's worth it.

LeaP
08-23-2013, 04:49 PM
I might have concluded on the basis of that old thread alone that you were a loon.

But I didn't see it.

Good thing, too, as we connected soon after and I did conclude we were on eerily parallel paths. Imagine if I had read it and then discovered the parallels! It would have seriously damaged my self-esteem! Whew ...

But we have our differences, of course. One of which is writing style. Mine is structured, dry, factual. Like certain books you read - and then hate your teacher for inflicting upon you. Yours? Without deconstructing several prime examples, the thought of which gives me chills, let's just say it's "folksy." Yessiree, right down to the ground.

So, getting back to that old thread, I dearly hope that your consternation is due to the closet content and not the rhapsodic tone because, dear Anne, the latter has changed not a whit! As for the content, it is that which made it so screamingly obvious you were a closet (tranny) case.

As for suppression, it would be in your best interests to suppress the urge to direct attention to your past posts. It is an invitation to multiquote! Where is VM???

Cue soft country music. Fireplace lit. Put on your best Mary-Janes and write on, Anne, write on.

kimdl93
08-23-2013, 05:08 PM
War and Peace, Crime and Punishment, and of course Denial and Suppression. All greatly over rated in my humble opinion!

I do vividly recall the celebration of a closeted existence and the remarkable, although at times painful transformation that has followed. Go easy on yourself, Anne. As my grandmother used to say, 'Only a fool refuses to change her mind'

Jorja
08-23-2013, 07:27 PM
Anyone silly enough to use a Dan Quayle quote to open a discussion may have already gave in to the Power of Denial and Suppression and has really lost her mind. :)

Accept whom and what you are and move forward. Toiling in the past and denying it or trying to suppress it is a wast of time energy, and effort. Concentrate on what lies before you and put your efforts into becoming a better, functional, happy, and of course, a cute individual.

Anne2345
08-23-2013, 08:27 PM
Hi Jorja!!! You gotta admit, girlfriend, that Quayle quote is classic. LMAO!!!

Please do not misunderestimate me or disunderstand me, though. Same goes for you, too, Kim. :heehee:

I am not toiling in the past. I am not living in the past. I am not refusing to go forward. In fact, I very much look forward to the future with much hope. I am truly excited about it, despite the remaining fears that reside with me. I'm doing this, y'all, and my resolve is strong.

Per the title of this thread (yet another overly long and tedious read, I have no doubt), this is a PSA and meant for the benefit of others that may be coming up behind me (to the extent that I am actually able to benefit others, that is).

So, for once, and I certainly understand your confusion over this, this is not about me (therein the reason for the confusion), but rather, intended for others . . . .

As for me, I feel great. I feel like I am on the right path. Despite the difficulties that will surely present themselves in the future, I'm all good right now.

So there. Take that!! :)

Jorja
08-23-2013, 10:37 PM
Hi Jorja!!! You gotta admit, girlfriend, that Quayle quote is classic. LMAO!!!

That it is but then almost everything that Quayle said was a classic.

VeronicaMoonlit
08-23-2013, 11:12 PM
As for the content, it is that which made it so screamingly obvious you were a closet (tranny) case.

Yup, obvious.

As for suppression, it would be in your best interests to suppress the urge to direct attention to your past posts. It is an invitation to multiquote! Where is VM???

Ha ha ha ha ha. Priceless.

Veronica

MysticLady
08-23-2013, 11:21 PM
Yeah what Anne said, and don't deny or suppress yourself either.:heehee:

bas1985
08-24-2013, 01:19 AM
"What a waste it is to lose one's mind. Or not to have a mind is being very wasteful. How true that is." - Dan Quayle.

Dear Anne,

denial and suppression are evil, no question. But they are only 2. There are 4 horsemen in the Apocalypse... and I think that the other two are Delusion and Projection.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VodjkKgjZdI

The Horsemen are drawing nearer
On the leather steeds they ride
They have come to take your life
On through the dead of night
With the four Horsemen ride
or choose your fate and die

I am playing the devil's advocate here.

I am simply saying that the road to understand our being TS is very, very narrow and dangerous. You might be caught by the first two horsemen, and live in denial for years... or you could PROJECT and DELUDE yourself that you are TS, or, better, to exaggerate own GD to the point that Transitioning become not a necessity because you are TS BUT because living in the closet requires too much mind-juggling between modes (male-female).

I am not saying that you are not TS, God save me!, but that to make a clear picture we must take into account that the road to understand fully own core, own inner self is VERY, VERY long and does not stop, even with SRS done and the name change on the Driver's licence.

Badtranny
08-24-2013, 08:43 AM
Oh yes, I remember that time well. I also remember the lovely PM's insinuating that I of all people, ...was a bitch. :-)

That closet thread was classic. It's even funnier now that you have accepted yourself to the point of almost coming out completely.

docrobbysherry
08-24-2013, 11:37 AM
I think one unique quality most humans have is to OVER THINK things sometimes, Anne! Maybe u r/have been guilty of that self deceiving service? Take life as it comes. I say, act on your gut feeling and if that doesn't work, change directions accordingly!

Another of the human mind's unique and wonderful abilities is our imagination! It is the one that constantly motivates this closet denizen to push Sherry on and out in ways I never could have imagined 2 years ago. I hope u will use yours as well, Anne!

KellyJameson
08-24-2013, 01:19 PM
It is frightening to admit that you are transsexual. I fought it for years even while I was slowly and irrevocably sliding into it by making physical changes to my body and using the clothing to create reality out of illusion.

I'm actually cautious with people who do not show any fear of the prospect that they are transsexual because they are usually living in a narcissistic fantasy world that has nothing to do with being transsexual and everything to do with delusion.

Transitioning should take you toward truth, not away from it.

To know unequivocally that you are a transsexual you must be a truth seeker otherwise you will destroy your mind by immersing yourself into a living lie.

This takes a massive emotional investment because it is human nature to run from the truth and into the safety of delusion.

Stay safe. Do the work.

bas1985
08-24-2013, 03:28 PM
It is frightening to admit that you are transsexual.

it literally scares. The worst possible nightmare becoming true: you are not you thought you were, BUT exploiting that insight will revolve all the things inside out. And underwater the question arises, deeply: "why ME?". And it has no answer, it is like a person born blind asking "why me?". No answer, you got the cards, bad luck this time.

My closest friend told me: "I am afraid that all this thing about TS will make you waste your time and go nowhere. It is not in the body the answer, but in the spirit. There is no gender, if you transition you will go from one state of delusion to another. The solution is to go above gender, be androgynous.".

I have not yet answered.

Angela Campbell
08-24-2013, 03:43 PM
I just read the "closet thread". All it makes me think of is growth. That thread was posted before I became a member. I can remember not all that long ago I said many things here that I truly believed at the time that I know now were no more than desperate attempts to deny what I was facing. There is a reason we have fear, and there can be many reasons to overcome it. You look like you are doing so.

Rianna Humble
08-24-2013, 06:44 PM
My closest friend told me: "I am afraid that all this thing about TS will make you waste your time and go nowhere. It is not in the body the answer, but in the spirit. There is no gender,

Your friend shows the extent of his/her ignorance with these statements. Being transsexual is very much about the body and has a biological cause. As for there being no such thing as gender, anyone who speaks the language of your country will know how ridiculous that remark is.

bas1985
08-25-2013, 12:07 AM
Your friend shows the extent of his/her ignorance with these statements. Being transsexual is very much about the body and has a biological cause. As for there being no such thing as gender, anyone who speaks the language of your country will know how ridiculous that remark is.

Oh, yes... in Italian (and in German and ... in other languages) also THINGS have gender. The moon is feminine the sun is masculine, for example (in German the opposite). Etc...

Rianna Humble
08-25-2013, 04:07 AM
Yes bas, not just things. Men have one gender and women another - ever wondered why?

bas1985
08-25-2013, 06:05 AM
Yes bas, not just things. Men have one gender and women another - ever wondered why?

This is a tricky question Rianna... I really can't answer. Maybe because it's the most evident differentiation?