PDA

View Full Version : Buying makeup

tiffiany
12-24-2005, 01:00 AM
Since I have got my wig, I have been thinking of experimenting with makeup. I have been doing some research and feel like Im ready to go out and buy some. Can I find everything I need at the local drugstores or supermarkets?
I was looking online, but alot of the sites have very high prices and Im on a budget. What do you suggest I do?

jessbcuzz
12-24-2005, 01:12 AM
Since it is your first time buying makeup, I would recomment doing to a "dollar store" like Family Dollar or Dollard General. Makeup is pretty cheap. It's not the best quality, but you won't be out as much money if you don't like something or use it up fast while trying to learn. I buy my fingernail polish there.

Ms. Laura
12-24-2005, 08:27 AM
This is a good time of year for it, go buy a make-up gift set at Wal Mart or such. That and a little foundation should get you going on the cheap!

GypsyKaren
12-24-2005, 10:13 AM
Hi Tiffiany

Everybody is having sales all the time, Walgreens has a great selection, and the girls there are very helpful. I like Ulta the best, they have everything and their prices are reasonable.

GypsyKaren

S. Lisa Smith
12-24-2005, 01:09 PM
I have a different take on makeup. If you really are serious about it, call a Merle Norman and ask if they do CD's (many do). I have been warmly received. The downside is that you could drop a lot of money, the upside is that you will have makeup that an expert has color coordinated to your skin and hair (so you don't waste money buying the wrong stuff- although some drug stores will refund your money if you ask). I have also used a Mary Kaye lady and had good results. If you go to the Mary Kaye website and locate some near you, you can email them and see if they have a problem. Some are comfortable with it and some are not. It is so much fun having an expert fuss over you and many times, if you purchase some makeup, the makeover is free- ask first. In any event, I hope you have as good a time with makeup as I do!

tifftg
12-24-2005, 01:47 PM
Girl, you are such a great age to be learning and exploring. While I vaguely remember my 20's LOL, I don't forget how tight money was. I would like to suggest a mixture of approaches. Buy one of the gift sets with everything at a wal-mart or target or such. Then start exploring the web sites of the manufacturers, most will have terrific tips that you can practice, practice, practice. Then post your pictures here and we girls will give you tips.

Have fun,

Hugs,
tiffany--your older sister

tiffiany
12-30-2005, 03:58 PM
I decided to goto walgreens and buy some makeup. I was nervous when I went in and tried to talk to the sales ladies. Sure enough they were really friendly and offered there advice. I walked out with some makeup and feeling really good about myself. I wondered why I was so nervous at first.

uknowhoo
12-30-2005, 04:14 PM
Ain't that how it always goes? We're so worried about... buying make-up, buying lingere, going out en femme, whatever. Then afterwards we realize the worst part of the whole experience was the anxiety!

Anyway, I'm so glad to hear you had a successful and enjoyable trip to Walgreens. I'd invite you to post some pics in the pic gallery, explain that your new with the make-up thing and ask for some frank, constructive feedback. There's a wealth of CD make-up experience for you to tap right here. Also, DanaJ's and the Beauty Club she moderates are also great resources.

Good luck and more importantly, HAVE FUN!!

Oh, and one other thing...

Happy Birthday, sweetie!

Hugs,

Tammi

Wendy me
12-30-2005, 05:13 PM
shopping for make up is like shopping for anything else like tammi said the only thing we realy fear is the fear that we can't i am so happy you went and asked for helpe that saves that trial and error thingy that leads to wrong purches and less than good results...play with it have some fun and enjoy it rember it's so much abought haveing a good time you might want to join the beuety club ton's of tips there on everything from top to bottom....

Tina Dixon
12-30-2005, 05:28 PM
Some good ideas here girls, just starting on my own make to, useing the wifes is not a good idea, I all ready miss placed her eye liner and she asked me if I seen it:OMG:

ldblake
12-30-2005, 06:01 PM
Some good ideas here girls, just starting on my own make to, useing the wifes is not a good idea, I all ready miss placed her eye liner and she asked me if I seen it

The real enemy here is secrecy... Come Out... be honest with people about who and what you are. It's almost a certainty that beyond the initial surprise of it all, you can work it out. These days most marriages involving CDers survive quite nicely. Plus it's a darned sight easier shopping for a new skirt (etc) when you can try the thing on instead of turning purple when people glance at you sideways...

Moving the whole activity out into the open takes away any and all reason to be ashamed or secretive... yes there will be some issues to deal with but beyond that lies the one thing every transie dreams of.... freedom.