PDA

View Full Version : what are the legalities?

julie marie1
08-26-2013, 10:10 PM
Is it legal to go out crossdressed in Wisconsin, or anywhere in the U.S. for that matter?
If people see you and realize your a guy in drag, will they car, or ridicule?

Tracii G
08-26-2013, 10:12 PM
As far as I know its legal to dress anywhere you want in the USA.
People will be able to tell to some degree that you are a guy and some will ridicule you.
Most won't care at all.
I you have a 5:00 shadow or a full beard and you are wearing a dress chances are they will know.

Kate Simmons
08-26-2013, 10:14 PM
Evidently not. If you scroll down to the bottom of this page, you will see you can contact crossdressers in every state.:)

Loni
08-26-2013, 10:15 PM
the only "law" i know about in dealing with this question. not sure if one law of a multi git thing.
but dressing ( not as in cross-dressing but dressing up in any way) up to hide one true id to commit a crime.

sandra-leigh
08-26-2013, 10:37 PM
"Wearing a disguise to commit a crime". But cross-dressing is not a crime anywhere in the USA (at least not for any enforceable law; there might still be some town laws that have not been revoked.)

Note: Watch out for laws about "wearing a disguise while in a riot". Or possibly even "while in an unlawful assembly", since even just 3 people together can constitute an "unlawful assembly". Just being where a riot happens to be, "while in disguise", can be enough to be charged. And if you have really long lashes, watch out for being charged with protecting your eyes from teargas ...

Nancie64
08-26-2013, 11:06 PM
Laws, I doubt it!! Only jealousy if you look better than some of the opposite sex..

Jorja
08-26-2013, 11:34 PM
Actually, some states, counties, and local municipalities do still have laws on the books against what we now call crossdresing. Can these laws still be enacted? Sure they can. They are laws after all. However, most places simply overlook a man in a dress these days.

Wildaboutheels
08-26-2013, 11:42 PM
Unless the laws have changed, MASKS are illegal in any state. [Sorry Doc] Cops do tend to look the other way at Halloween though.

Nikki A.
08-26-2013, 11:46 PM
Wearing white heels after Labor Day will get you arrested by the Fashion Police. Other than that not that I've heard of.

Lorileah
08-26-2013, 11:50 PM
In Durango Colorado it is illegal to go in public dressed in clothes “unbecoming” on one’s sex. (in Sterling cats may not run loose without having been fit with a taillight...).

Now in Wisconsin it is illegal to display an unclothed mannequin in a store window, so wearing a dress is OK I think. If you are dressed as a woman in Racine you may not walk down a public street at night without being accompanied by a man.(whole new thread that). St Croix, Women are not allowed to wear anything red in public.

Nothing about wearing clothes of the opposite sex though

Tracii G
08-26-2013, 11:53 PM
In my city its unlawful have an ice cream cone in your pocket.

julie marie1
08-26-2013, 11:54 PM
I just enjoy looking like a women. I doubt if I look better than someone of the opposite sex

Persephone
08-27-2013, 12:50 AM
In Durango Colorado it is illegal to go in public dressed in clothes “unbecoming” on one’s sex.

Whew! I must have been appropriate to my sex! Spent about three days en femme in Durango in May, accompanied by my spouse and my sister and we had a blast!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/sandylewiscares/2fd2bfc2-97fe-4e64-8a15-e2e716e28c7c_zps2f932e05.jpg
Even rode the Durango-Silverton steam train.

The complete story, with pictures, is on the forum in "Travels With My Sister -Now Complete (click here) (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?195599-Travels-With-My-Sister-(Now-Complete!)&highlight=travels)."

Hugs,
Persephone.

kimdl93
08-27-2013, 06:58 AM
Now in Wisconsin it is illegal to display an unclothed mannequin in a store window, .... thank god the Wisconsin Legislature is tackling the truly important issues of our day. When will the rest of America act to protect our tender eyes from the scourge of naked mannequins!?

linda allen
08-27-2013, 06:58 AM
Is it legal to go out crossdressed in Wisconsin, or anywhere in the U.S. for that matter?
If people see you and realize your a guy in drag, will they car, or ridicule?

Ridicule? Yes, some may. There's another active thread about a transgender woman being beaten to death in New Youk City.

Every country, state, county, or municipality may have laws governing crossdressing or attempting to disguise one's identity. I don't believe they are commonly enforced unless the disguise is to commit a crime or if you give a law enforcement officer a hard time.

Many of the members here have posted about being stopped by the police for traffic violations, etc. and as I recall, all, or at least most of the time, they were treated with respect and not given a hard time.

If you really want to know about a specific town or city, e-mail the chief of police and ask.

BLUE ORCHID
08-27-2013, 07:35 AM
Hi Julie, Although it may be legal just be careful where you go because there ore some people out there that don't see things our way.

Beverley Sims
08-27-2013, 07:41 AM
If you present badly, you may be ridiculed.
If your belief is to present as a man wearing a skirt and a beard, be prepared for adverse reactions to that as well.
If you present well still use a little tact and caution when dressed.
The same hazards exist for women as well.

Jenniferathome
08-27-2013, 07:58 AM
It's not illegal to ridicule anyone. This is America. Will people care? Some will. Just like gay people. Do YOU care, is the question.

Karren H
08-27-2013, 08:06 AM
I'm pretty sure that in Wisconsin you can wear anything you like as long as it has some green n gold on it and you have either some bratwurst or cheese in your purse....... and fresh cheese curds.... damn I miss going to the cheese factory and getting fresh cheese curds!

Tina B.
08-27-2013, 10:10 AM
The state of California has laws protecting your right to present yourself in either gender you choose to. San Francisco has a ordnances to give you the right to expect to be treated in businesses in the gender you present yourself to be. And we are working on giving transgendered kids the right to use which ever bathroom in school they feel is appropriate to the gender they feel themselves to be.
And yes you can still get mocked, ridiculed, mistreated, or beaten up for being caught in the wrong place in a dress, people will still be people, and some of them are animals!
But if you go to good places, where nice people go, most will not let on they even know you are not a women, and many just won't care.

linda allen
08-27-2013, 10:22 AM
The state of California has laws protecting your right to present yourself in either gender you choose to. San Francisco has a ordnances to give you the right to expect to be treated in businesses in the gender you present yourself to be.

So how would that apply to the "man in a dress"?

The guy wearing a dress and breast forms with a bald head and beard? Or any variation of that? And what about the people who dress so their presentation is ambiguous?

Annette Todd
08-27-2013, 11:31 AM

The good news there is the evidence would prove difficult to obtain. Unless there is also a law about spilling cream in your lap. hehe

somekyguy
08-27-2013, 12:57 PM

First post!

But that law is to prevent horse thieving...at least, if you're from a 'horse capital' like me....given, it's a bit antiquated now.

shayleetv
08-27-2013, 01:46 PM
I have a relative that belongs to a Mummers club that dresses up as clowns to do service to children's groups. We have two children's hospitals here in Salt Lake and they spend a lot of their own resources entertaining the children. One day Jim (not his real name) needed some cash before going to one of the hospitals, so he stopped at the bank to get some money out. Unfortunately he was in costume with his face all painted. There was a long line and before he got to the teller the police arrived, guns drawn and out for blood. One of the cops tackled him and wrenched his arm around to put cuffs on him and dislocated his shoulder. The bank manager knew Jim, as well as the staff, and came to his rescue. As it turns out one of the customers called 911 and reported a bank robbery in progress. The cops however did not admit to doing anything wrong still arrested him for wearing a disguise in a bank, even though the bank knew and recognized him as a customer. The charges were dropped by the arraigning judge and the cops got a letter of reprimand for the arrest for applying an archaic law just to save face. He told them that they should have listened to the bank when they told them they knew he was a customer.

Jaylyn
08-27-2013, 02:26 PM
And we are working on giving transgendered kids the right to use which ever bathroom in school they feel is appropriate to the gender they feel themselves to be.

Wow, would I have loved that in school I know Myself and three fourths of the males would have acted TG just we could have peaked at the gals in the restrooms.... I really think that proposition should be thought thru. Teen age hormones are not the same as normal adults. The kids are also much more critical and question every thing out of the ordinary. Not trying to start a negative comment but just my thoughts after retiring from the education field I can't see this working except maybe in college.

Lorileah
08-27-2013, 02:47 PM
I can't see this working except maybe in college.

The same way it works for handicapped, you lay down the law. You know there are non-handicapped who will use handicapped facilities just because they are lazy or whatever. You see it everyday.

Now really, when a person is trans, they will have to let the admin KNOW they are trans. And those 75% as you say may try but they won't pass the test. The TG needs the ability to use a restroom, and they deserve to use the restroom that fits who they are. In a school situation as you describe, the TG would be a target for bullies in the male (or female if they are FtM) restroom. As far as I know the women's restroom has stalls...with doors...what would a teenage boy expect to see? And if he (and I say he because he isn't a TG but is stupid enough to try and use that law) tried anything just to "see" he would be treated as any sexual assailant would be treated. Which is more likely,a boy saying he is trans to "see" something or the transperson getting beat up in a restroom? If the kids are taught early this should not be an issue.

Katie1989
08-27-2013, 03:05 PM
At this point, the first amendment will probably protect you from any legal problems that come from crossdressing. If you do get arrested, be glad! You'll have a huge payday coming when you sue them for violating your rights of freedom of expression.

robindee36
08-27-2013, 03:42 PM

Is that an ice cream cone in your pocket or are you just happy.........? Too much fun for one girl, must share ;)

linda allen
08-27-2013, 03:44 PM
Wow, would I have loved that in school I know Myself and three fourths of the males would have acted TG just we could have peaked at the gals in the restrooms.... I really think that proposition should be thought thru. Teen age hormones are not the same as normal adults. The kids are also much more critical and question every thing out of the ordinary. Not trying to start a negative comment but just my thoughts after retiring from the education field I can't see this working except maybe in college.

People in the education field know what to expect and I think you are correct, there would be problems with laws such as this. The folks who voted this law through likely never consulted with actual school people. Just like with many of the other laws they have passed controlling education.

jacky83
08-27-2013, 05:32 PM
In 1978, the case of the City of Chicago V. Wilson struck down laws against crossdressing as unconstitutional. I think this is universal now.

Cheryl123
08-27-2013, 06:29 PM
As far as clothes are concerned, I've been informed that the only enforceable laws are those against not wearing any. :eek:

Tina B.
08-27-2013, 06:30 PM
So how would that apply to the "man in a dress"?

The guy wearing a dress and breast forms with a bald head and beard? Or any variation of that? And what about the people who dress so their presentation is ambiguous?

It ain't nobody's business except the man in a dress! Remember, I said legal, not safe.

Tina B.
08-27-2013, 06:35 PM

Really, times have changed then, in my day no self respecting 18 year old hertro boy would call himself gay, much less trans even to get laid, after all he does have to face the rest of the school. These kids are all known to be Trans, and are under doctors care. We have laws that say all kids, even handicapped, or trans or what ever, all get treated equally and fairly.
So far I've heard of no one abusing it.

Sally24
08-27-2013, 06:43 PM
People in the education field know what to expect and I think you are correct, there would be problems with laws such as this. The folks who voted this law through likely never consulted with actual school people. Just like with many of the other laws they have passed controlling education.
We've had this law in Maine since 2007 with only 1 challenge and that was when a school decided to not to continue to allow the transgirl to use the ladies room. This isn't rocket science but it is about civil rights. Access to bathrooms is an important day to day issue with trans people.

linda allen
08-27-2013, 07:27 PM
It ain't nobody's business except the man in a dress! Remember, I said legal, not safe.

"The state of California has laws protecting your right to present yourself in either gender you choose to. San Francisco has a ordnances to give you the right to expect to be treated in businesses in the gender you present yourself to be."

Let me be more clear. The statment (I don't know if it is actualy a law) uses the term "either gender". A bald man in a dress, beard and forms doesn't seem to me to be presenting in "either" gender. And how is a business supposed to treat someone if they can't figure out what gender they are or are presenting as?

Asche
08-28-2013, 09:27 PM
If your belief is to present as a man wearing a skirt and a beard, be prepared for adverse reactions to that as well.
In my experience, only at CD.com.

I've been walking around in a skirt and a beard in Real Life(tm) on a daily basis for years, with no adverse reactions. some positive reactions, mostly neutral ones.

But do watch out for bullies when you're on line.