PDA

View Full Version : advice on doing drag for the first time

tiffanynjcd24
08-27-2013, 10:17 PM
does anyone think i should try doing ? I thought about doing drag before when i was in college but it was a disaster. Basically i was too shy(i am still am) I have stage fright and the fact when i tired to ask a drag queen to try to teach me certain things i was being laughed at by that drag queen. Theres a old saying you even got talent or you dont and thats where i am at with no talents. Basically i know that if i do drag i would perfect my craft and maybe have experienced drag queen teach me along the way. But the reason that i dont want to do it because most drag queens are shady and annoying and i hate that really.

What do you guys think about what i just say

Lorileah
08-28-2013, 12:04 AM
if that is what you want to do, go for it. Just be the best you can be and n the words of RuPaul "Don't **** it up" :)

Tracii G
08-28-2013, 12:15 AM
You will have to get over stage fright first off but thats not too hard once you do it a few times.
That drag queen sounded like he had a huge ego so find one that wants to help you.
I say go for it if thats what you want but I have a suspicion you are not sure what you want at this point in your life.
You are in search of yourself at the present time and that is pretty normal for your age group.
I was the same way so please don't take what I said as a bash or anything.

Chickhe
08-28-2013, 12:25 AM
Work on your self confidence. I used to be 'shy', but overcame most of it when I decided to go out in public dressed. I won't say I changed to an A-type, but the experience pays dividends. You gain nothing by doing the same as before, take a risk, do something new and you will gain a lot.

I think you should do it!

celeste26
08-28-2013, 12:48 AM
Imagine teaching someone who just might replace you, that might be the reason for the reaction. Might also look at you and see themselves a long time ago. It is important to find someone who likes to teach instead of some random drag queen, sadly there are no schools that I know of.

Learn to mime a song and not just the lips but emotions of the song, after you've done it 1,000 times and got it perfect then ask for an audition. Just remember that all professional singers go through lots and lots of practice. After the first 100 times, it drains all of the real emotions out of you and if you can still stand to go through the same motions you just might make it in the field of drag. Because the emotions are mimed also. All the dresses and make-up are the easy part.

ReineD
08-28-2013, 12:55 AM
does anyone think i should try doing ?

Sounds as if you're looking to see where you fit in? You've wondered whether or not you should transition, or if you're TG or CD, you're wondering if you should have a relationship with a GG, TG, or a guy, and now you're thinking about doing drag.

Go for it! The more things you try, the easier it will be to eliminate the experiences that don't fit well with you.

But the trick is, just pick one and go out there and do it.

tiffanynjcd24
08-28-2013, 05:21 AM
Aww thanks everyone but I was just getting a different insite on this. I thought about it while ago when I was in college. But thing is I dont have talents to begin with and most drag queens are very shady especially the ones around my area (which made me forget the idea of doing drag). I dont want that part of my life. Also I was young at the time and I experienced the negativity among that.

Reine
I know that I am a cd (I cant denied that part about me) Also transition is not for me I dont want to put myself in lot of drama or stress and the fact that I have a good job why jeopardize my career by making a decision thats irreversible. Maybe I thought about it down of the road but right now and rest of my life I am happy with being a crossdresser. Another thing is that I do want a relationship with a gg and/or tg but probably not with guys. I felt with guys who are not genuine enough all they want is to have sex with me. I heard most girls and tg love idea of dating a crossdresser

Tawne
08-28-2013, 05:36 AM
That's not true, just look at your avatar, there's talent right there :)

tiffanynjcd24
08-28-2013, 06:09 AM
Tawne you ever did drag before

Tawne
08-28-2013, 06:13 AM
I don't think so, umm I once dragged a V8 in a clunky old 4 cyl that had a few tweaks some years back , does that count? Tbh idk what drag is...exactly..(don't laugh).

tiffanynjcd24
08-28-2013, 06:17 AM
I meant like being a drag queen for the first time

Tawne
08-28-2013, 06:23 AM
Oh yeah just googled that to be sure. No I have never done that, nor interested in doing it, I'm a quiet girl :P

tiffanynjcd24
08-28-2013, 06:37 AM
Me too hun its not for everyone

Tawne
08-28-2013, 06:45 AM
No one can tell you what to do but you. Do what feels comfortable & what makes you happy, one step at a time. Can't make it any clearer than that.

tiffanynjcd24
08-28-2013, 06:46 AM
I love being a crossdresser I just really cant see myself being a drag queen

Tawne
08-28-2013, 06:51 AM
I can't see myself being one either :P

Brooklyn
08-28-2013, 07:38 AM
I did a little drag a long time ago. You def need the theater bug in you, and a very thick skin! Just go to some events dressed up, talk with some performers, and see if they ask you to try a lip synch or something. DQ's are chosen, unlike CDing, which seemingly chooses us.

Beverley Sims
08-28-2013, 07:44 AM
After that what you need is an outgoing personality, lots of confidence and an ability to work to an audience.
As to what you say I think you have to adopt a more accepting attitude and meet others in the trade.

suzy1
08-28-2013, 07:49 AM
There are basically three types of drag queen, the very beautiful, sexy and talented ones. Then there are the comic ones. And then there are the men that just do it for a laugh without even trying to look like a women.
If you are trying to emulate the first type then you are up against it. I never did drag myself but I did spend a lot of time on stage and it’s the most nerve raking, bowl loosening thing I ever did. But the buzz was indescribable!

Good luck, you are going to need it.

Kate Simmons
08-28-2013, 08:17 AM
You have to understand some things about DQ's. You don't pick them, they pick you. Many will ask a young gay man to be their drag "daughter" and take them under their wing to teach them their craft. My original intention was to obtain a drag "mother" but when I saw what it entailed, I changed my mind as I have my own style and don't like to be told how to perform. I guess you just have to see if the arrangement would work for you Hon.:)

tiffanynjcd24
08-28-2013, 09:01 AM
I understand but I realized that is not in my fortay

Lynn Marie
08-28-2013, 10:00 AM
You're young, eventually you'll get over this phase of your life and everything will get so much easier. There are no shortcuts to growing up, just try to keep your feet out of your mouth and listen a lot!

Oh yeah, DQs definitely are not your best source of information about anything other than being a DQ, being gay, and being "over the top"! Come to think of it, this forum isn't all that great a place for factual information either. Yep, that includes me too!

tiffanynjcd24
08-28-2013, 11:31 AM
I understand completely where you coming from

Lorileah
08-28-2013, 12:14 PM
I love being a crossdresser I just really cant see myself being a drag queen

seems you know the answer to your question then.

tiffanynjcd24
08-28-2013, 02:15 PM
Thank you hun I appreciate is just when someone is telling me things either in a different way or not and when I just thinking about things I have to question