PDA

View Full Version : They have come a long way.

lingerieLiz
08-27-2013, 11:06 PM
Today I had a delivery person drop off something. The person looked male but as soon as she spoke it was obvious that it was a woman. She gave me the package and we talked for a minute or so. She had on all male clothes hiding her breasts while I had on feminine clothes with obvious bra lines and breasts projecting. I didn't have on a wig or makeup, but otherwise we were dressed to the same degree. Neither of us made any comments other than what would be common in this type of transaction.

It started me thinking how far women have come and how far we have to go. As in other current posts, if I went in to get a job wearing what I had on even with wig and makeup I would not be hired. Nor would I probably hire someone dressed like me if they had to meet with the public. I'm not on a world's not fare rant. I understand the social and historical implications. I just found the meeting interesting.

The times are getting better for CDs but it will take a while before we reach that acceptance.

heatherdress
08-27-2013, 11:50 PM
Liz - seems like she was wearing her uniform.

I would agree that you should not wear a wig or make-up for most job interviews.

Glad you had an interesting meeting.

Diversity
08-28-2013, 12:29 AM
Hi Liz,
It does sound like an interesting meeting and glad you both were able to have a friendly chat. Yes, times are changing for CDr's, but there is indeed, a long way to go.
Just got to keep at it, and continue our own journeys.
Thanks for sharing.
Di

Beverley Sims
09-06-2013, 05:42 AM
Liz,
I wonder what the next ten years will bring.

BLUE ORCHID
09-06-2013, 06:14 AM
Hi Liz, You are preaching to the choir .

Marcelle
09-06-2013, 06:40 AM
Hi Liz,

I agree that society is more accepting of women who dress typically male. Not so much male clothes but the ability to dress as they please (pants, sweats, etc.). There was a time where women were denied the ability to wear pants and if they did they were seen as crass and indecent.

Unfortunately society is not quite ready to see a dude in a dress and heels. Is it fair . . . Nope. But like women from the past, we will just have to keep pushing and who knows, one day you'll be able to dress how you like and nobody will care. Won't that be nice. :)

Hugs

Isha

linda allen
09-06-2013, 08:34 AM
I suspect she was wearing a uniform. Women working jobs that require physical effort (such as delivering packages) can't be expected to wear heels, skirts, makeup, etc. It's quite possible that she looks very different when she goes out clubbing.

DebbieL
09-06-2013, 09:13 AM
In the 1880s, my great grandmother and her sister homesteaded in Montana because women could own land there. One woman who wore pants into town was tarred, feathered, and rode out of town on a rail (tied to a fence rail and dragged out of town. Of course, she died a few days later, as is typical with tar and feathers.

Both my grandmother and her sister were strong women. They had already spent 7 years homesteading in Missouri, until they lost their husbands and had to settle for a fraction of the value of the land from the railroad, as the cowboys began running off the farmers. Out on the farm, both women wore pants. They were both stronger than most men, having chopped down trees, cleared land, plowed fields, and harvested for 14 years. When they went to town, they always wore skirts and shirtwaists. However, when they got title to the land, they knew the railroad would be sending cowboys to drive them out, possibly even burn their crops and their barn (they built their barn and their house too). So they had a photographer take some pictures. Eunice (my grandmother) had her double barreled shotgun, held at the trigger with her arm fully extended and the barrel of the gun extending further. Cora, her sister, had a double-headed ax which she held by the end of the handle as the head extended another 3 feet. It took a few shots, but they got one with no movement - using no props or wires.

They put "ya'all come visit sometime" on the bottom of the picture and put it up at the local saloon. When the railroad came to tell the men to clear out my great grandmother.
the cowboys said "You mean those ladies in that picture there?".
The railroad man said "Yes, those are the ones"
The cowboys said "Now way we are going there, they might kill us and EAT US!

A few days later, one of the railroad men, a rather skinny fellow, but nicely dressed, propositioned Cora, offering to "make an honest woman of you", implying a marriage. Cora said "I don't trust you as far as I can throw you, let's see how far that is". She picked him up and threw him 20 feet into the horse trough across the street. Then she said to the man "If you come any closer than that, the next time I'll throw you into something that will hurt a lot more.

Eventually, they did sell their farm to the railroad, but for a much better price. My great grandmother went on to open the first bath house in the mining town of cripple creek, because after digging in the mines for a few weeks, she realized that miners weren't paid that well, but when they came out of the mine, they wanted girls, but the girls didn't like the stinky dirty miners. The guy who got the first bath (the tub was reused and just topped off between baths), usually had his choice of girls at the saloon. Grandma would auction off the first bath in each tub and each first bath paid more than a miner got in a week, and more than the saloon girls made in a whole night.

I contrast that to my wife, who has a buzz cut, baggy shirt, loose fitting pants, no make-up (doesn't need it), a low tenor voice, and flats that look pretty boyish - and that's her every day wear at work. She is a big girl, and couldn't hide her breasts if she wanted, and is very much a woman. There have been a few times when the waitress has asked me (ma'am) what I wanted first, and then asked her (sir). We both get a nice chuckle out of it. She has helped be dress to "blend" which makes it much easier for me to live most of my life as female.

I often wonder if Bama (Eunice) would have approved of my transition? Probably so.