PDA

View Full Version : Getting a new Car!!!

DanaGirl
08-29-2013, 05:50 AM
So I got Into a car accident a couple weeks ago and my car was trashed so I have to get a new car. Ive been looking for a week now, and sometimes I find myself wondering how I would look as a girl in this car or that car.
Have any of you other girls ever thought about what your girl self would think about different purchases?

Just seemed like an odd thought, I figured id share it here and get your feedback.

Tawne
08-29-2013, 06:03 AM
A sexy girl looks great in any new car, just give it a good polish before the pose :P

Rhonda Darling
08-29-2013, 06:10 AM
Dana,

Great question. I've not consciously done it, but your question got me thinking and now I'll probably fixate on it when I go shopping. Obviously, when purchasing girl stuff, the connection is subconscious and automatic. I do remember when I got my new car a year ago being anxious to find a storefront with a large expanse of glass so I could drive by as Rhonda see how I looked in the reflection. I still do that when the opportunity presents itself (shoulda gotten a red convertible -- darn). I predict you'll get a lot of replies to this one. (and a belated welcome to CD.com)

Best,
Rhonda

I Am Paula
08-29-2013, 07:11 AM
Girl- BMW
Guy- Ford F150
No visible sex/gender- Any GM product

BLUE ORCHID
08-29-2013, 07:35 AM
Hi Dana, that is an interesting thought.

Beverley Sims
08-29-2013, 08:10 AM
It would look nice to have a pink sewing machine...But!
I still settle for a humongous black truck.
A lot of ladies have them too! :)

Julie Denier
08-29-2013, 09:02 AM
Glad you weren't hurt in the accident! Good luck with your car search ;)

Franki Kate
08-29-2013, 11:27 AM
I did just that, when I purchased my Lincoln Towne Car. Being that I am pushing the 70 number in years, I thought that a older classic car would be appropriate for my senior status.

Tracii G
08-29-2013, 11:38 AM
I bought a 2009 Mustang late in the year when prices dropped so Tracii would have her very own car.
When I saw it my girl side said OMG would I look good in that car.
The price was right so I got it.Friends said its kind of a girly car you should have got the GT version.LOL I loved dressing up and driving around.
Get something your girl side would like and don't worry what your friends think.

Lorileah
08-29-2013, 11:45 AM
'round here girls drive Wranglers and F-350s. You know you have the keys to a cowboy's heart when you got the keys to his truck.

Kathi Lake
08-29-2013, 12:21 PM
Around here, it seems that the Mazda 3 series is the girly car of choice.

Kathi

Sarah Beth
08-29-2013, 12:32 PM
Well I would never drive a Ford, the worst two cars I ever owned were Fords, and I could never afford a BMW, but when I see a Chrysler 200 convertable I have to think about what it would be like top down wind in my hair and up my skirt.

AllyCDTV
08-29-2013, 12:48 PM
I have only gone out driving while dressed a handful of times and never intended to repeat it. A few months ago I bought a new Dodge Charger. It draws so much attention and compliments that I know for sure I could never go out in it dressed and try to blend in even if I wanted to. So be careful what you pick. If you want to blend in, don't get something flashy. Also, with the windows open and the sunroof open, my SO has a hard time keeping her dress from blowing up. So if that's what you want, go for it. :D

DanaGirl
08-29-2013, 02:36 PM
Ive been looking at a ford focus hatchback, a Mazda 3, or maybe a new dodge dart. I was thinking about getting a truck, and that's when it hit me that you just don't see a lot of girls driving around in pickup trucks. While ive only driven as Dana like 3 times I think its something id like to do on a regular basis (if the roommate ever moves out). Anyway, as I stood there staring at the truck that's when this thought occurred to me that maybe I need to buy a car that Dana would like as well.

maybe im just an idiot, I dunno.

regina young
08-29-2013, 03:19 PM
VW beetle, mini cooper, both girly cars and both get good gas mileage. Back in 2005 I bought a new Audi TT, definitely a head turner when dressed up. But I found Audi, although excellent cars, depreciate terribly. I am back to driving a Jeep and love it.

Cynthia99
08-29-2013, 03:32 PM
Dana, in West Texas, where I used to live, you often see girls driving trucks. I suspect any place there are ranches and such its not that unusual. In cities (I live in the Houston area now) you don't even find men driving trucks much. For what its worth, both the vehicles you are looking at are well rated. But I really like the Focus - especially in the bright green!

steftoday
08-29-2013, 03:32 PM
Girl- BMW
Guy- Ford F150
No visible sex/gender- Any GM product

Aw, Celeste. My Camaro and I beg to differ... :)

linda allen
08-29-2013, 03:54 PM
A Toyota Prius is about as girly as you can get but they don't seem to come in pink. You would have to choose another color or have one painted.

Tracii G
08-29-2013, 03:59 PM
I think people think I'm a soccer Mom because I drive an SUV.
Sold the Mustang sadly but will get another girly car next time.

linda allen
08-29-2013, 04:01 PM
You need the SUV to haul the guitar and amplifiers, don't you? :heehee:

Claire Cook
08-29-2013, 05:08 PM
Interesting. I wonder if there is an age thing here? Pink Mustangs or whatever may work for girls 40 and under, but I'd guess that for most more "mature" ladies (hey, I'm one of those!) what we think of as "chick" or "girly" cars is less stereotyped. Celeste, my car is a 3-series BMW and Sue has a Honda Fit. Funny, I'd rather drive the Fit when I'm Out and About ... (except when I locked myself in it!) Sue would rather drive the Bimmer....

So who has a Beetle with a rose in the flower holder???

erickka
08-30-2013, 05:54 AM
"I was thinking about getting a truck, and that's when it hit me that you just don't see a lot of girls driving around in pickup trucks."

Dana, you evidently have never been in my neck o' the woods! I'd guesstimate that about 25% of GG's (young and mature alike) drive pickups or other "manly" off road capable vehicles. TBH, anything other than jeans and tennis shoes is very rare. Guess that's why I enjoy working in the Nashville area. Lots better scenery, for sure!

Mollyanne
08-30-2013, 07:17 AM
So, your thinking bout' a car that Dana would look in???? How bout' a red Mercedes 2 Door coupe?????? DANA WOULD R E A L L Y HAVE A GOOD TIME IN THAT!!!!!!!

Molly

linda allen
08-30-2013, 08:23 AM
If you want to go out dressed, but don't want people to recognize you, buy a common, ordinary car in a common color, don't get personalized license plates, and get the windows tinted as dark as is legal in your state.

Otherwise, get a pink car if you want.

I Am Paula
08-30-2013, 03:00 PM
I drive a Ford E-350 van. My big sister would beat up anybody that gave me a hard time about it. She's very protective of me.

DanaGirl
08-30-2013, 04:22 PM
maybe I should clarify, Im not looking to buy a car for a girl, im still a guy and I have to like the car first and formost, so a Pink Miata isn't going to fly. My thought process was trying to get a car that I like, but that Dana would also look sexy driving around in. Its really stressful being forced to buy a car, I hadn't been looking around for cars because I wasn't planning on getting a diff one anytime soon, but here I am stuck trying to figure things out.

jillleanne
08-30-2013, 06:48 PM
I think women look hot driving any Mercedes S class. Their painted nails and gold bracelets reflect nicely off the white or tan leather interiors. Guys? Well I can only speak for the one I know best and he still loves Corvettes and Camaro's, although the Lambo Murcielago parked next to me last night at the hotel in North Carolina didn't look too shabby either. I hope to be able to stop drooling by tomorrow morning.

linda allen
08-30-2013, 06:50 PM
Well, there is a lot of information and a lot of reviews in magazines and on the Internet. Personally, I got tired of my GM trucks rusting out and needing repairs so in the mid 90s I bought a Toyota pickup. I liked it so much, when my wife needed a car we bought a Toyota. I had to trade the truck in on a bigger one to tow a trailer so that was a Toyota as well. My wife's car got totaled so we replaced it with another Toyota.

I don't sell Toyotas, but I have been very satisfied with them and none have needed more than minor repairs. When we eventually need to replace one, I'll just head back to the Toyota dealer.

BTW: They are all made in the USA.

Eryn
08-30-2013, 07:48 PM
So who has a Beetle with a rose in the flower holder???

Sadly, VW has deleted the blumenvase from the New New Beetle. They found that it registered negatively with men.

If you want to go out dressed, but don't want people to recognize you, buy a common, ordinary car in a common color, don't get personalized license plates, and get the windows tinted as dark as is legal in your state.

Good point. I drive the exact opposite, a very recognizable classic with untinted glass and personalized plates. I usually, when dressed, drive Mimi's more modern (but also recognizable) car. Every once in a while I have to drive my own. The other day a co-worker said "hey, I saw you going down the freeway a couple of weeks ago! This caused a bit of an internal panic until I asked him what time of day it was and he replied with a time at which I would have been in drab.

the_long_now
08-30-2013, 07:51 PM
Perfectly understandable. One buys a car and thinks of it in different aspects of their life, going to work, out with friends, trying to impress etc. So absolutely, why wouldn't you want to include it in this aspect of your life

paulaloha
08-30-2013, 08:36 PM
You can always look at Subaru's. Especially the Forrester, also the Outback. They are great cars, they fit both genders well, but the female side of me wants one really bad! They are nicknamed Lesbaru's after all. And the girl inside me is totally a lesbian, so I guess it fits!

They also look fantastic with a roof rack!

Tracii G
08-30-2013, 08:50 PM
I guess it depends on how much money you will have to shell out so go with what you can afford.
Don't go too deep into debt to get it.My rule is to be able to have it paid off in 3 years.

sometimes_miss
08-30-2013, 11:35 PM
A sexy girl looks great in any new car, just give it a good polish before the pose :P
^this. However, whenever I considered going out and driving when dressed as a girl, it was always in the sports car, never the suv.

Andrea Renea
08-31-2013, 06:22 AM
I didn't get a new car but my wife did. A new Dodge Journey.
I'm holding out for a Mustang Convertible

DAVIDA
08-31-2013, 06:29 AM
A Mercedes is nice..........until you have to pay for repairs!:eek:
We had one for years. The trouble was when the cost of repairs were in multiples of $600.00!:brolleyes:
We now have a cheap Jeep.:thumbsup:
Jean loves it and there will not be anything spent on repairs for five years.:)

Marcelle
08-31-2013, 06:59 AM
Really can't be much help here as I have never ventured outdoors dressed en femme (driving or otherwise). But I will give my two cents.

I don't think vehicles are gender specific although girly girls may gravitate to more specific vehicles just like macho men will gravitate to others. My wife and I have two vehicles a SUV (which we bought for both of us) and a Hyundai Veloster (silver) which we bought as a second vehicle. My wife prefers the SUV and I mainly drive the Veloster (which I get a lot of "driving the wife's car today" from guys at work). In my work community, trucks and SUVs litter the parking lot so this tine silver car looks a bit out of sorts).

The best example of gender and cars I can relay happened about a month ago (before I came out to my wife) my wife and I saw a gorgeous black Humvee and out from the drivers side slid a tiny blonde GG. My wife loved the vehicle . . . I was more fixated on the pretty pink sun dress and heels the GG was wearing :battingeyelashes:

All this to say, I think vehicle is a personal choice (male or femme). If I was out as Isha to the world I think I would drive the Veloster (dressed as girly as possible). Or I might just throw on jeans, a pretty top, sneakers, put my hair in a pony tail and tear up the mud flats in the SUV.

Isha

Andrea Renea
08-31-2013, 07:00 AM
Cheap Jeep? The Jeep Cherokee SRT8 in the showroom at the Jeep/Dodge dealership where we bought our car was $70,000. lol

DAVIDA
08-31-2013, 07:04 AM
Yep, cheap Jeep.:thumbsup:
We bought a new Patriot a year ago. It listed for $20,200.00. I got it for $16,200.00.:D
A mecedes has to have premium gas and the Jeep takes regular.:thumbsup:

Andrea Renea
08-31-2013, 07:08 AM
Yeah DAVIDA, I almost passed out when I looked at the SRT8 sticker price.

AllyCDTV
08-31-2013, 12:56 PM
^^ But it's an SRT8 - 470 HP and all wheel drive. Plus the Grand Cherokee is more like a luxury car. Still from the reviews I've seen, the damn thing rides like a dump truck.

DanaGirl
09-10-2013, 05:17 PM
I think my guy side may have won the battle hehe!! I looked at a lot of cars and this one just grabbed me and wouldn't let go. Its a Mustang GT 300hp gas guzzler, although if I saw a sexy girl driving this id find it hot as hell, so let me know what you think.

bobbimo
09-10-2013, 05:26 PM
I have my C4 vette and 323 BMW convertible for the girl and Boy side and my crappy trucks for the rest of the time.
Just love to see my stockinged legs slipping under the steering wheel.
What an amazing thrill!
Bobbi

As long as you never have to drive the 'Tang in any snow its a great car.
Even I would be tempted to buy this ford

BELINDA IN BFLO
09-10-2013, 06:26 PM
It seems here in Buffalo, NY a lot of females drive the Toyota Rav4. My choice is my 2008 Ford Mustang Bullitt. An exact copy of Steve McQueen's Mustang from the movie "Bullitt" I get a lot of looks when I am out dressed behind the wheel. A real conversation starter.

heellover
09-10-2013, 07:51 PM
I am soon gonna find my self in the same boat. I travel about 100 kms round trip everyday to and from work,and my Dodge Ram is killing me when it comes to gas. It is older (97) and is gonna need work soon,and I don't really need a truck anymore (used to haul the odd trailer and construction type stuff around) and will be looking for something more fuel efficient yet functional. I still may need to move the odd medium sized objects,not to mention the kids (16 & 3). Both male and female parts of me absolutely HATE SUVs and just plain refuse to own one. So I think I have settled on a Dodge Magnum. Preferably one with the 2.7L V-6,peppy yet fuel efficient! These things have tons of room and have kinda a retro vibe to them,like the big old wagons of the 70s and 80s. They are very reasonably priced,and seem to be available almost everywhere.
And Natasha will look pretty hot driving it too!
I found one online for $4000 with under 100 000 kms on it!
It was soo cheap because the guy (and yes it was a guy) had painted it hot Barbie pink but no one would buy it. It started at 8000,then dropped to 7500,7000,6000,5000,and finally 4000 then it wasn't on the site anymore...someone must have finally bought it! I was thinking about it!
But how does one explain a hot pink car in guy mode!

Gloriamontrose
09-10-2013, 09:17 PM
I think my guy side may have won the battle hehe!! I looked at a lot of cars and this one just grabbed me and wouldn't let go. Its a Mustang GT 300hp gas guzzler, although if I saw a sexy girl driving this id find it hot as hell, so let me know what you think.

Porsche 911/ 964 with 993 lump. 186mph - done it on the Krout autobahns measured via GPS. Beats the crap outa any so called US muscle car. Also have 4/4 Morgan - google it.

Demure Gloria

flatlander_48
09-10-2013, 10:25 PM
VW beetle, mini cooper, both girly cars and both get good gas mileage. Back in 2005 I bought a new Audi TT, definitely a head turner when dressed up. But I found Audi, although excellent cars, depreciate terribly. I am back to driving a Jeep and love it.

Not necessarily...

2009 factory John Cooper Works MINI Clubman:
208hp, Brembo brakes, 147mph top speed, 0-60mph = 6.5sec

AllyCDTV
09-10-2013, 10:59 PM

The GT is rated at 420 HP. I don't like it. It's faster than my Charger. LOL The V6 is rated at 305. Get that one instead. I can beat that one. In any case, you aren't gonna be able to go around blending in with either. Seriously though, looks great. Go for it.

DanaGirl
09-11-2013, 12:01 AM
The GT is rated at 420 HP. I don't like it. It's faster than my Charger. LOL The V6 is rated at 305.

Its an 08 , the new ones have the 5.0 engine in em, the 08 had the 4.6. that's the difference, it still hauls ass and the 22mpg ive been getting isn't as bad as I feared, but I drive on the highway a lot.

Tracii G
09-11-2013, 12:14 AM
Dana my 09 Stang had traction control and it drove fine in the snow just be light on the gas pedal.
Good looking ride for sure 2010 they ruined the looks IMO.

DanaGirl
09-11-2013, 12:31 AM
I don't really care for the newest body style tbh

Laurie A
09-11-2013, 06:26 AM
I was drooling over a Mini Countryman a few weeks ago, and almost pulled the trigger to buy one. Since then I have been on the lookout for them and have noticed that they are almost exclusively being driven by women.

Jackie7
09-11-2013, 07:34 AM
I drive a powder blue Mazda 3 with beige seats, with a roof rack for lumber and kayaks. Same car in girl or guy mode. The roof rack makes it quite recognizable but I don't care.

Ceri Anne
09-11-2013, 08:59 AM
I often picture Ceri in various cars. She is a sporty, sassy gal, but would actually be easily at home in a Jeep also. The car doesn't make the girl, but its a nice accessory. Currently driving a bright red Chevy Cruz and feel very fem behind the wheel.

NicoleScott
09-11-2013, 10:02 AM
The best car for CDing is the most dependable one, unless you like to play "damsel in distress".

flatlander_48
09-11-2013, 11:17 AM
I was drooling over a Mini Countryman a few weeks ago, and almost pulled the trigger to buy one. Since then I have been on the lookout for them and have noticed that they are almost exclusively being driven by women.

That hasn't been what I've noticed. Maybe 30%-40% guys. Could be an area thing or a 2nd car thing.

I drove an All4 during a service visit at Hendrick MINI in Charlotte (MINI of Charlotte?) last Fall. I was impressed. It had maybe 80% of the MINI feel and given the size and weight differences, that's very good. However, I like the roofline of the Paceman better. Makes it look something like a Range Rover Evoque. The car just looks sleeker than the Countryman.

Jaymees22
09-11-2013, 12:22 PM
I have 2 cars a Jaguar XJ8 for fun and a 2012 Honda Civic for when we actually have to go somewhere. I would recommend the Honda it's kind of girly and gets good MPG. My son-in-law has a V6 Mustang it still looks cool and won't break the bank on gas. Hugs Jaymee

Laurie A
09-11-2013, 12:29 PM
That hasn't been what I've noticed. Maybe 30%-40% guys. Could be an area thing or a 2nd car thing.

I drove an All4 during a service visit at Hendrick MINI in Charlotte (MINI of Charlotte?) last Fall. I was impressed. It had maybe 80% of the MINI feel and given the size and weight differences, that's very good. However, I like the roofline of the Paceman better. Makes it look something like a Range Rover Evoque. The car just looks sleeker than the Countryman.

I test drove a 121HP and the 181hp versions, the latter being a lot of fun, the former more in my price range! Although the other models are cuter, the Countryman was the only one (almost) large enough to accommodate all the stuff and two dogs I want to haul around. I'll keep looking, but every single Mini I saw on my morning walk today (3) was driven by a woman.

Robinkay
09-11-2013, 12:53 PM
I would buy a use Porsche Boxter, there prices are good

more fun than a Mustang :D

DanaGirl
09-11-2013, 03:10 PM
57 replies to a post about cars, I guess just because we like to wear panties and do our makeup doesn't mean we arnt still guys.

DonnaT
09-11-2013, 04:37 PM
I would buy a use Porsche Boxter, there prices are good

more fun than a Mustang :D
Just saw a Wheeler Dealers episode with a Boxter S
http://www.streetfire.net/video/wheeler-dealers-porsche-boxster-s_part-1_2421732.htm

flatlander_48
09-11-2013, 05:00 PM
57 replies to a post about cars, I guess just because we like to wear panties and do our makeup doesn't mean we arnt still guys.

Understood, but there are a lot more women spectating and actually participating in motorsports these days. The participation is at all levels too: driving, team ownership, mechanics, engineers, sanctioning body positions, broadcast positions, etc. It has changed a lot.

flatlander_48
09-11-2013, 05:10 PM
I test drove a 121HP and the 181hp versions, the latter being a lot of fun, the former more in my price range! Although the other models are cuter, the Countryman was the only one (almost) large enough to accommodate all the stuff and two dogs I want to haul around. I'll keep looking, but every single Mini I saw on my morning walk today (3) was driven by a woman.

Originally the All4 version was only available with the S drivetrain, but I don't know if that is still the case. There is also a JCW version. To me, the extra power of at least the S is useful due to the weight of the machine.

For me, the Clubman was right-sized. My wife uses a wheelchair and while it would fit in a Hardtop, there wasn't much usable space left. The Clubman works for our purposes: 3 people plus the chair and still some cargo space left over.

To be honest, I've lusted after a Mini since '62 when I was a freshman in high school. My first car which I bought when I graduated from college was a new Honda 600 Coupe in '72. It was Honda's take on what a Mini should be. So, when it came time to get rid of the 15 year old Isuzu Trooper I had, all the pieces fell together and it was MINI-time!

Joni T
09-11-2013, 10:19 PM
I'd rather push a Ford than drive a Chevy. Guy\girl mode=Ford F150 Super Cab. My ex drives a Ford Excursion, and she's only 5'2" tall.
Silly Boy, trucks are for Girls.
Joni

SuzanneS
09-11-2013, 10:50 PM
Marcia Blue can verify that I didn't drive a very girly pickup.....

I picked up an older(but in great shape) Grand Am GT earlier this year.....in purple even! My unknowing girlfriend ribs me about it every now and then for being a girly car. I love it! Great mpg's and fun to drive.

Suzanne

flatlander_48
09-11-2013, 11:11 PM
I'd rather push a Ford than drive a Chevy. Guy\girl mode=Ford F150 Super Cab. My ex drives a Ford Excursion, and she's only 5'2" tall.
Silly Boy, trucks are for Girls.
Joni

Fast On Race Day
Found Off the Road Dead
Fix Or Repair Daily