PDA

View Full Version : Bummed Out

Alice B
08-31-2013, 12:54 PM
I don't post often, but felt the need to vent my frustrations. I have a bad left hip that was scheduled to be replaced next week. Was affecting my golf game and my ability to wear heels when dressed. But, my A1C blood sugars (3 month test) were too high and the surgery was cancelled for at east 2 months. Thus, no heels for a bit longer. I love wearing heels.

My loving wife, whom I'll now refer to as Nurse Ratchet, has decided to change my life, how and what I eat, when I eat and no alcohol at all, even a beer when it's 85 out and high humidity. I will dress tonight, but can't go out because No Alcohol, soft drinks, etc. And no heels. I'm bummed. There I've said it and feel better.

Nikki A.
08-31-2013, 01:06 PM
Alice take care of yourself, thats the first priority. As far as the replacement goes, I had mine done about 7 years ago and it was the best thing I ever did.

Persephone
08-31-2013, 01:51 PM
Bummer!

Hugs,
Persephone.

Laurie A
08-31-2013, 02:42 PM
Alice, hang in there, I too have had one hip replaced, its worth the wait. The anxiety leading up to the surgery was the worst part, the recovery, with all the new surgical techniques is a snap.

And re the heels, there always lots of cute flats!

Laura912
08-31-2013, 03:39 PM
How about dress, and then sit around with your feet propped up? Maybe sip a little lemonade...only with lemons, not the fancy stuff. And get better....

PretzelGirl
08-31-2013, 03:45 PM
I am sorry to hear that Alice. I didn't realize you were going to have that done, but after seeing your pain early in the year, it isn't a huge surprise. Take you time and get the diet right. I have always believed this type of surgery is a hard road for the physical recovery, so it is good to put yourself in the best position. I have no doubt with your drive you will come out of it great.

Jocelyn Quivers
08-31-2013, 04:10 PM
Sorry to hear about the A1C's. If you are able to find an upside in all of this is that lack of soft drinks and alcohol will actually be a good thing in the long run. In the mean time try substituting club soda, or flavored seltzer water, along with lime's or lemons to give the carbonation taste of soft drinks along with a little bit of flavor without the sugar.

linda allen
08-31-2013, 04:16 PM
Why would no alcohol or soft drinks keep you from going out? I had to give up alcohol a few years ago and I still go out. I generally drink unsweetened iced tea and put Stevia (a natural sweetener that my wife uses) in it.

docrobbysherry
08-31-2013, 04:38 PM
That sucks, Alice! Remember, mamma knows best!

Concentrate on the positives, not the negatives. Just think how hot you'll look in Vegas next year!

One other suggestion; giving up alcohol can be a deal breaker. I suggest u find a middle ground? I gave up beer and hard stuff 5 years ago. Switched to red wine and immediately dropped nearly 10 pounds with no other diet changes.

Leah Lynn
08-31-2013, 05:21 PM
Alice, when Nurse Ratchet isn't looking, throw the water fountain out the window and run for it!

Hugs,

Leah

Alice B
08-31-2013, 07:16 PM
I know it won't be as bad as it sounds and the surgery part does not bother me at all. It is the fact of changing everything I eat and how I go about things that bothers me. Nurse Rachet is actually pretty good, but she does harp, which drives me nuts even though she means well. It is hot right now and humid for S. Calif. Would love a long island ice tea or two. I will dress tonight and may or may not go out. But it will be shorts, a light blouse and no heels. Thanks for all the well wishes.

Beverley Sims
09-03-2013, 08:57 AM
Alice,
Obviously Nurse Ratchet does care for you.