PDA

View Full Version : Some things seem to be changing

Barbra P
09-04-2013, 09:29 AM
Yesterday was the first day that gay couples in the military could apply for full spousal benefits. One of the local TV stations (Fox I believe) had a segment featuring a male Navy Lieutenant and his male spouse entering a building on the Navy Base to apply for full spousal benefits. For those of you not familiar with Navy rank a Lieutenant is an O3 or what the other services call a Captain.

After the couple came out of the building the reporter interviewed the. The Lieutenant was wearing pressed blue camouflage utilities with bloused combat boots, and starched cap, the standard Navy Working Uniform – what I found interesting was that the Lieutenant was also wearing a small gold hoop earring in his left ear.

I’ve seen both Navy and Marine personnel wearing earrings, off base while in civilian clothes, but this is the first time that I’ve seen someone in the military in uniform, on base, wearing an earring, and by an officer to boot. Sure seems like times are a changing.

Tina B.
09-04-2013, 10:34 AM
A male officer in the Navy is in uniform being interviewed about his gay wedding, and you need an earring to see things are changing???????
Back in the early sixty's we had a cook on board my ship that wore a small anchor in his ear, and no one ever bothered him about it that I ever heard.

Kate Simmons
09-04-2013, 10:36 AM
Actually going back to what they were a long time ago Hon. ;):battingeyelashes::)

MsRenee
09-04-2013, 11:11 AM
Here at our air force base there was a couple that applied for benefits.
Its nice to see that things are finally changing and being accepted.
Hugs
Renee

Lorileah
09-04-2013, 11:17 AM
and he was out of uniform.

b. Earrings
(1) Men. Not authorized while in uniform.
Additionally, earrings are not authorized in civilian
attire when in a duty status or while in/aboard any ship,
craft, aircraft, or in any military vehicle or within any
base or other place under military jurisdiction, or while
participating in any organized military recreational activities.
When considered appropriate by the prescribing
authority under article 7201.2, earrings may be prohibited
while in foreign countries.
(2) Women. One earring per ear (centered on
earlobe) may be worn while in uniform. Earrings shall be
4mm - 6mm ball (approximately 1/8 - 1/4 inch), plain with
shiny or brushed matte finish, screw-on or with posts.
Gold for officers/CPOs, and silver for enlisted personnel.

heatherdress
09-04-2013, 07:16 PM
Earrings are not authorized to be worn while on duty by male personnel in the US Navy - period. Seems to be a real lack of judgment, too. If he is serious about a successful Navy career, you don't break regulations and have your picture taken while doing so. Instead of the focus being the importance of the ability to file for benefits, the Lieutenant is diminishing the event by violating uniform policy. Sorry - I don't get it.