PDA

View Full Version : A very subtle CD pride t-shirt

Eryn
09-05-2013, 06:22 PM
I was surfing T-shirt sites and came across this gem. If you don't know Monty Python it won't make any sense, but for those who do...

http://shirt.woot.com/offers/im-a-lumberjack

Krista1985
09-05-2013, 06:44 PM
Ha nice find. Great skit/song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zey8567bcg

kimdl93
09-05-2013, 07:56 PM
Brings to mind "Norwegian blue parrots" and pet shops.

Laura912
09-05-2013, 08:07 PM
Or the Ministry of Silly Walks. The group actually later apologized for that skit fearing they had offended some people.

Brooklyn
09-05-2013, 08:55 PM
Why do they even bother offering men's sizes? Gonna go press some wildflowers now...

Joanie_Shakti
09-05-2013, 11:13 PM
I think that shirt's great, though I wouldn't have the nerve to wear it. The Lumberjack Song is sort of my main theme song. I often spontaneously break into it when I'm alone. I have a fantasy where I get fed up at something at work, say "sod this, I never wanted to do this. I wanted to be... a lumberjack!" and then recite the complete intro, "leaping from tree to tree as they float down the mighty rivers of British Columbia," etc., before standing on a table and singing the song.

Eryn
09-05-2013, 11:38 PM
It's rather amazing to think that the sketch that inspired the shirt was performed in 1969, nearly 44 years ago! It was made up on the spot at the end of a day as an "out" for the "barbershop sketch" which nobody really remembers!

Joanie_Shakti
09-06-2013, 12:13 AM
It's rather amazing to think that the sketch that inspired the shirt was performed in 1969, nearly 44 years ago! It was made up on the spot at the end of a day as an "out" for the "barbershop sketch" which nobody really remembers!

I remember seeing the song performed by non-Pythons on "The Gong Show" in the late '70s, complete with a group of Mounties. Jaye P. Morgan gonged them. Her rational was that she thought they were singing, "I eats all night," and that disgusted her. They hadn't even got to the "I puts on women's clothing" part yet.

Tracii G
09-06-2013, 01:06 AM
But then again Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.

Cheryl T
09-06-2013, 02:43 AM
Don't forget your "suspenders and a bra"....

Beverley Sims
09-06-2013, 03:57 AM
Eryn,
a good find.
Do I get it?
Sure!

Allison Chaynes
09-06-2013, 11:11 AM
My wardrobe needs more Monty Python stuff in it!

Jilmac
09-06-2013, 11:44 AM
Yup, I love Monty Python and their lumberjack sketch. I was able to pick up on the message the very first time I saw it. I was still deep in the closet then but I realized how far ahead of their time they were in presenting the whole concept of crossdressing as only they could.

RachelPortugal
09-06-2013, 12:30 PM
Yup, I love Monty Python and their lumberjack sketch. I was able to pick up on the message the very first time I saw it. I was still deep in the closet then but I realized how far ahead of their time they were in presenting the whole concept of crossdressing as only they could.

... even to the point of suggesting that it could be in the genes.

Ceri Anne
09-06-2013, 01:49 PM
Before even looking at the shirt, the Lumberjack song was clicking in my mind. Really, its the only thing that I understood about cross dressing at the time being somewhat "normal"

robindee36
09-06-2013, 02:02 PM
Eryn, what a flash from the past. Wonder if that is where I came up with the idea to 'put on women's clothing and hang around in bars'. Too bad our community was not more open in those days. I might have been a cute 20's something Tgirl ;)

Oh well, got to make the best of what you have.

Hugs, Robin (who did not get her ears pierced, boo hoo)

Don't forget your "suspenders and a bra"....

Cheryl, I wonder how many of the Yanks understand the suspenders double meaning? In the UK they may hold up your trousers, but it is also common parlance for what we call garters. (Or so I believe).

Hugs, Robin

Cheryl T
09-06-2013, 05:02 PM
You believe right Robin...and we Yanks get it...at least this gal does...Lol.
And remember the rest ... "just like my dear Mama"...so true

robindee36
09-06-2013, 06:48 PM
Cheryl, dear mama was my initial source of 'things' to try on. So there may be another subtle reference here.

The Pythons, and other comedic groups of the time, operated at several levels of understanding. The blatantly obvious and the more circumspect. In this regard, some may remember Proctor and Bergman in their Firesign Theater repertoire.

Things are not always what they seem to be but sometimes they are.

Hugs girl, Robin

AshleyW
09-06-2013, 07:19 PM
And of course "Life of Brian" actually had a transgender character.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFBOQzSk14c

Cindia
09-06-2013, 07:39 PM
"suspenders and a bra"....
it should come in white so you can see a bra underneath. But then not maybe so subtle...