PDA

View Full Version : Supportive Friends

Paula_56
09-06-2013, 12:32 PM
I have recently come out to some friends and relatives who are close to me. One friend who I didn't expect to be supportive was. A very macho retired law enforcement. He had very kind words and has wrote an email expressing his support and friendship.

I've heard from other other girls that this often happens the friends you thought were progressive react less than expected and the redneck uncle is very supportive. I was wondering if anyone has had unexpected support from a friend or relative after coming out or transitioning???

Marie-Elise
09-06-2013, 01:58 PM
First, I am very happy for you that you could come out and tell everyone. That takes courage.

I guess the question I want to ask s whether you will be dressing around them now since they know.

I can't answer you question about coming out because I have not. But I would be interested in knowing your answer to mine.

Cynthia Anne
09-06-2013, 03:55 PM
For me, that seems to be the case every time! Now my best friends are the ones I feared would never except me! You never know!!

DivaB
09-06-2013, 05:17 PM
Proud of you for coming out can't answer your question though because I not as brave as you.

LasVegasXD
09-06-2013, 05:21 PM
My mom was surprisingly cool about it, but wasn't ready to meet Jenny. I think I feel the same way. Otherwise all my female friends have been extremely supportive. Some have bought me stuff, and others want to go shopping with me. I always feel like I did something right when a gg tells me I'm wearing really cute sandals. At least some think Jenny has cute taste.

Beverley Sims
09-07-2013, 05:04 AM
I have not experienced such support but I have given support to others that have been pleasantly surprised.

Jodie_Lynn
09-07-2013, 05:18 AM
People are funny that way. Some folk, who profess to be tolerant, understanding, and 'open to new experiences', often say that simply so that they do not appear to be bigoted, racist, sexist, or whatever. But then they get gobsmacked by having to face 'that-which-is-different', and the facade drops, exposing their true feelings.

It's often times the ones who don't wave flags about how 'open and accepting' that truly are accepting.

Plus, we all have a tendency to gauge other people by the prism of our own perspective, so that we sometimes misjudge how others will react.

All in all, I guess it's just a toss of the dice.