PDA

View Full Version : What do you see?

Kate Simmons
09-07-2013, 06:07 AM
Obviously when someone posts on here, whether beginning a thread or responding to one and there is no avatar of them en femme, it's left up to the imagination what they may look like and if they look like a woman when dressed. My question is for those who do post avatars and other pics of them en femme, what is your first impression? Do you see a man or a woman? I realize it may depend on the makeup and dressing skills of the person presenting. If you weren't told, however, would you know the difference at first glance? Just curious. :)

Erica Marie
09-07-2013, 06:14 AM
From a picture alot of times it is hard to tell. And I think that is my hang up personally. When I look in the mirror I just see myself in girls cloths. Yet alot of times I look in the mirror and feel like a girl in boys cloths. But many people comment how nice I look. So either a picture can help you transform or people are just that polite. Either way there are alot of very beautiful people here.

AmandaJean
09-07-2013, 06:15 AM
Kate,

This is an interesting question. My answer is that it depends on the photo... in some photos I feel that I'm looking at a man, others just a not so attractive woman! LOL

So my suggestion is to take tons of pictures...

Does that help?

Amanda

Celina
09-07-2013, 06:52 AM
I would say, based from my experience so far, that some make it very hard to tell the difference, and some don't.

Beverley Sims
09-07-2013, 06:54 AM
An avatar whether real or not does place a subliminal message in the mind of the respondent.
A male image does portray a man, a drawing of a fairy does convey personality, and a constant changing of attractive film stars also conveys a pleasant feel towards the person concerned.
A real image of the person may not always attract replies as some are attracted by exciting images.
Some would trust John Wayne but reject a Boris Karloff image.
Who wants to take advice from Frankenstein.
Hmmm!
Have I made my point clear, probably not. :)

Brilliant thought...
Your avatar conveys your percieved personality to others.

Ressie
09-07-2013, 07:35 AM
Kate, it's funny, as I read your post (and everyone's with a fem avatar) I hear the voice of a woman. Even though 99% of the avatars aren't quite passable, I tend to forget that there's a man underneath each photo.

Lori Kurtz
09-07-2013, 07:52 AM
I haven’t dressed up in many years, so I have no photos of myself to use. Hence the little fantasy picture that shows the kind of activity that still goes on in my mind. I’m too old to embody the slim-but-buxom, ready-for-action look that I used to enjoy seeing and feeling on myself. Some of the older CDs/TSs that I see here, while lovely, nonetheless look like … well, like senior citizen women. No thrill there for me.

As for the younger-looking pictures I see here, some work wonderfully, and I think, ”She’s cute,” or “How adorable,” and sometimes, in spite of the actual non-female equipment that I know is probably in the person’s panties, I even have a pleasant response of physical arousal.

Do I see a woman in an avatar picture? Often. Man? Also often, and sometimes in the very same picture. The glory of it is that the array of pictures here reflects the diversity of the people who posted them: big or small, skinny or fat, beautiful or homely, old or young, shy, funny, whimsical, artistic, sexy, proud, and more--everything is here in this little corner of the world that we have all discovered as a safe place to open up and share ourselves, each in our own way.

Kate Simmons
09-07-2013, 08:17 AM
The reason I posted this is that even though I know I'm a man and enjoy being one, when I get into femme mode, I pretty much get into the spirit of it and take on the mantle and role more or less despite plumbing. Your results may vary but that is basically how it is for myself. I just wanted to see if the presentation and effect extended beyond the person in the pic.:battingeyelashes::)

Debb
09-07-2013, 08:27 AM
I always try to see beyond the photo. I find photos to be quite limiting, frankly ... they show only one moment in time, a moment of the person's choosing. I don't see most folks that way.

That is my reason for not having one of myself. I have only ever gotten one photo of myself that I felt was cute, and of course I lost that one, so any photos of myself that I've posted on here are quite ugly, so I have chosen not to have an avatar.

Despite the avatars that show what one would take as a lovely woman, I am on crossdressers.com after all, so it is my assumption that most of the avatars are men. Yes, some women cross-dress, and truly those are more difficult for me to distinguish ..

Really, though, what does it matter? Postings are from the heart, not the outer person, and that is who I choose to "see".

Sheren Kelly
09-07-2013, 08:33 AM
When I see a photo, I look for a sense of that person's innate femininity. It is a combination of their confidence and individual style. Male or female is immaterial, I am more interested their pride in being feminine.

Melissa in SE Tn
09-07-2013, 08:40 AM
Eric Marie , your avatar looks great . You look like a pretty, petite woman. That is a compliment to your hard work to pass / blend as a woman. Don't have any doubts about yourself.

Tina B.
09-07-2013, 08:43 AM
Some come off as pure female in photographs, but just a few, many come off as almost there, and some just don't come close, depends on the experience of the person presenting, and on each persons DNA, some of us can't help but look like a full back in a dress, but some of the petite members can get away with anything.
But for me, I take it as presented, if your trying to look like a women, then I'll try to see you as a women.

Jaymees22
09-07-2013, 08:43 AM
Interesting question, I enjoy posting pictures of myself it seems to be part of my en femme persona. I think knowing what the other person looks like is helpful but not really necessary if their not comfortable doing it. Either way it's pretty much left up to ones imagination what the other people look like. I'm guessing here most people assume it's a man, after all it is called Crossdressers.com. Hugs Jaymee

CarlaWestin
09-07-2013, 09:01 AM
The reason I posted this is that even though I know I'm a man and enjoy being one, when I get into femme mode, I pretty much get into the spirit of it and take on the mantle and role more or less despite plumbing. Your results may vary but that is basically how it is for myself. I just wanted to see if the presentation and effect extended beyond the person in the pic.

As I start as a skinny, linear male, dressing adds the curvey dimension. There's also the weight distribution from forms and shoes. The change in posture, projection and gait seem to create a perception of femininity that emulates outwardly into visual presentation. I really see woman in the mirror especially with full makeup and accessories.

Barbara Maria
09-07-2013, 12:44 PM
Unless I know different,I see the woman.Recently I was at a festival where there were quite a few CDs,and the guy I was hanging out with(not a CD)picked them out before I did.

kimdl93
09-07-2013, 01:20 PM
It varies immensely from person to person...some look to me like women, some in between and others like a guy in a wig. Of course that's all dependent on the beholder.

michelleddg
09-07-2013, 01:28 PM
And, just occasionally, one or two who look like Jeremiah Johnson. (Paying honor to the awesome Ms. Kim :-) ) Hugs, Michelle

Chickhe
09-07-2013, 02:46 PM
It really depends. Over time the avitars have gotten better so now I have a difficult time telling the difference between GG avitars and CDers. A lot of times, it is style, or subtle things that gives someone away. If it helps ease your mind, as someone who enjoys CDing, I am constantly critiquing people's faces and there are a lot of female movie stars that have some very male features on their faces. So to most people they probably can not see the male in an average context, but if you are an expert and looking at a CDer's forum....well, the balance is not I your favor.

ReineD
09-07-2013, 03:02 PM
My question is for those who do post avatars and other pics of them en femme, what is your first impression? Do you see a man or a woman?

Whether there is an avatar or not, I most definitely feel either male or female vibes from some our members through their writing. While others are more ambiguous. I barely look at avatars when I'm reading posts.

Zylia
09-07-2013, 03:45 PM
What's my first impression when I see a picture of myself trying to present as a woman? I usually just see myself trying to present as a woman. Every now and then I do surprise myself with a pretty good picture and those usually end up here :D

What's my first impression when I see a picture of a fellow forum member? Well, on a cross-dressing forum, I can't really have a first impression on someone's gender/sex because that's a foregone conclusion. If I didn't know what/who I was looking at in advance, some might have actually fooled me and I think a select few are fully unrecognizable as a man in (some of) their pictures.

I'm actually pretty curious about Reine's male and female vibes and other people's ideas on that. I don't think I'm really good at discerning those vibes, unless someone's really masculine in their writing. I don't even know my own vibes.

ReineD
09-07-2013, 04:15 PM
I'm actually pretty curious about Reine's male and female vibes and other people's ideas on that. I don't think I'm really good at discerning those vibes, unless someone's really masculine in their writing. I don't even know my own vibes.

Some people are more intuitive than others. This was confirmed in personality tests I took during marital sessions at the behest of therapists, when my ex and I were trying to save our marriage ... they were not online fun tests. I've often wondered if a high degree of intuition comes from a history of being codependent. :p

BLUE ORCHID
09-07-2013, 08:13 PM
Hi Kate, I want to see each member of this forum as a lady.

Barbara Dugan
09-07-2013, 08:50 PM
I change my avatar quite often and is usually the picture that most closely reflects my feeling at the moment...I have use boy picture on a few occasions

Kate Simmons
09-07-2013, 09:13 PM
I change my avatar quite often and is usually the picture that most closely reflects my feeling at the moment...I have use boy picture on a few occasionsI do this a lot as well Barb. As Reine says who we are inside tends to show through with our words and feelings conveyed despite the pictures we use.:)

Druscilla Supernovae
09-07-2013, 09:16 PM
On some of them it's hard to tell. I have a decent pic of me in my phone but it won't change my avatar. Wish I could get it on my tablet.

Just managed to change my profile pic. I must have clicked the wrong box before.

Does the new profile pic have to get approved. It still hasn't changed on my posts.

Aaah, got it. I was getting mixed up between my profile pic and my avatar.

noeleena
09-08-2013, 01:42 AM
Hi,

My pic is of myself what you see is what youll get when you meet me in person like every other person , i will never say i look like a female because i know my facial features note that they are masculine no makeup or hair or my wigs, pretty plan looking, a female at 66 years of age, so make of that as you wish,

No dought youll see a few of my pic's www, of myself wearing a wig ,

...noeleena...

Dalva
09-08-2013, 02:13 AM
When I look at all the avatar pics, I don't see women and I don't see men. I see beautiful people who have something special to share. We haven't pigeon holed ourselves into what or how gender should be defined. We have stepped out of those boundaries and choose to express ourselves in a way that should be seen as courageous and commendable. We are different, yes, but we are special and let's never forget that.

That said, it took me twenty minutes of hovering my mouse over the "submit" button when creating my profile because I was so scared. Now that I have done it, I'm glad, I'm happy to become a part of a community when up until that point I was lonely and afraid to be myself publically.

Just remember , we are beautiful.:ch:

Frédérique
09-08-2013, 11:41 AM
My question is for those who do post avatars and other pics of them en femme, what is your first impression?

I don’t really look too much at profile images, or posted pictures and such, but I do glean a lot of information from avatars – I like to size up who I’m dealing with. I can tell if someone is shy, or sweet, or acidic, or confrontational, or pleased with themselves, or showing off, or bitchy, or comfortable, or not so comfortable, or, perhaps, in an ongoing struggle to survive here or in the RW. Most of all, I take note if someone is SMILING or not. If someone is smiling, even if it is barely noticeable, I know I can “talk” to that person. If they aren’t smiling, however, it speaks volumes...
:straightface:

linda allen
09-08-2013, 01:27 PM
It varies immensely from person to person...some look to me like women, some in between and others like a guy in a wig. Of course that's all dependent on the beholder.

Kim, your avatar looks like an experimental airplane. ;)

For the rest, some look like attractive women, some look like unattractive women, some look like men trying to look like women, and some look like men in dresses. And some look like someone else.

Me, I try to use that distance trick. From far enough away, I hope I look like a woman.

sometimes_miss
09-08-2013, 05:32 PM
I've often wondered if a high degree of intuition comes from a history of being codependent. :p
Mainly it comes from practice. As women speak in indirect speech, you learn to 'read' each other's behavior better, while men more often say exactly what they mean (whether that's truth or a lie, it's exactly what they want to get across), and don't get (or need) that practice as much in their daily lives. That capability is a must when it comes to caring for children, who can't always express what they need or want, and you have time to ponder what it is. Historically, men on the other hand need to communicate quickly and directly in order to move quickly enough to capture 'lunch', while not becoming the target's 'lunch'.
It can be learned, of course; there are plenty of men who pick up the ability to read other's behavior. But in general, women are better at it. Being codependent is just another situation where knowing what non verbal behavior indicates helps you determine what response you want to give. Again, it's just getting more experience at the skill.

Kate Simmons
09-08-2013, 07:23 PM
It's because women usually have better interpersonal and social skills Alex.:battingeyelashes::)

Lynn Marie
09-08-2013, 07:55 PM
Good reminder to update my avatar. When I'm out with CD girlfriends, I see them as girls even though I know the truth is different. It's just some trick my mind plays on me. I've heard this from others too. So when I see a reasonably attractive avatar on this forum, I'm impressed with the openness of the poster in addition to seeing them as female. When I don't see an avatar, I see a male crossdresser. When I see a distant picture that is unrecognizable, I wish the picture was better and I'm left in a little confusion.

Lorileah
09-08-2013, 11:16 PM
I see what the person feels is their best asset. If a person uses avatar that is a drawing, I see someone who is still concerned they don't pass or that they are shy. Of it is a body part it is usually what they like the best about themselves. If it is a photo, I see that they feel that it finally did capture them. Especuially when the photo has a certain pose, say with a flower or something.

Everyone here to me is feminine unless they ask otherwise.

Tracii G
09-09-2013, 12:17 AM
I think of most here as females or at least projecting their female side.

TheMissus
09-09-2013, 05:46 AM
I'm not sure the honest GG answer was asked for here, haha, but I will say I tend to read the posts and mostly avoid the pictures. My brain can't compute all this cross-gender expression very easily. But when I read responses to my questions I know I'm chatting to some of the kindest folk around and appearance just seems...irrelevant.

Kate Simmons
09-09-2013, 08:51 AM
Your feelings are always appreciated by myself Missus. You are honest and straight forward about how you feel about things and that goes a long way with me. Many here have a need to be seen as female or at least "project" as female to others. I'm in touch with all of my feelings, so it matters precious little how I'm perceived by others really. Part of it also has something to to with the warm glow or "feminine euphoria" being addressed in the other thread currently being discussed. I don't want to hijack that thread but will just say that the euphoric feelings we get when dressing is an integral part of it for some and also part of the reason we don't want to "just stop" doing it if we want to as asked by your own thread in the LO section. I've come to the point where it's a total choice for myself and not a big deal one way or the other. It's nice to get feedback on how we are perceived by others in pics, however.:)

Ceri Anne
09-09-2013, 09:17 AM
When I first started dressing, I saw a man in a dress. As I have progressed, I am seeing a woman in the mirror. That said, I know this post is about what I see in others. When I see others avatars, it depends on how they present. If they are still learning or did not put much care in presentation, then I may SEE a man in a dress. When the pose, dress and manerisims reflect what a woman would truly be, I see a woman absolutely. This is a growing process, and while person is a girl in my mind, her presentation is what I see

RebeccaLynne
09-09-2013, 11:21 AM
My question is for those who do post avatars and other pics of them en femme, what is your first impression?

Kate, the only pic I've ever submitted anywhere is my avatar, and only to this site. I did so to show the "real me", as a bonafide CD'er, in the spirit of camaraderie.

I am more inclined to impart a sense of credibility to posts of those who've posted a picture of themselves as an avatar. I suppose that's because I tend to believe they're being upfront and honest as to who they are.

Most of us here are crossdressing males. We should be happy that we have a place that we can interact as such. I would really like to see smiling faces refelecting that in our avatars... just my :2c:

Vanessa5
09-09-2013, 03:47 PM
My first thought is how can I look like that. There are sooo many beautiful people here that I wish I could emulate. Someday I hope to have a better pic of myself for my avatar.