PDA

View Full Version : Liabilities

MysticLady
09-08-2013, 10:22 AM
Hello All

I was pondering this because of another event unrelated to this phenomenon we experience. Liabilities, what is it about them we don't like? The cost, the time, the hold back, the pain, what? For a spouse dealing w/ this, are we a liability to them? I thought of my own situation and I've been wondering that I guess, I am a liability. My cost, to my wife, is high. As a spouse, what cost is your partner to you? Is it a price that you're willing too pay? Sometimes in the mist of things we don't really realize the cost of something until we are actually at that bridge. Why are we willing to bear the cost of something's and not others? Could be the strain on our pride? The amount of work and time we will need to give for nothing in return sometimes is not very appealing. Yet, from the time we begin to understand as children, it's drilled into us too, be yourself, good things come through very hard work and dedication, go for it, don't be a quitter.
Fast Forward 20 years. Why, are we not hearing the same "go get em tiger" phrases. Instead I get "you got brain damage and need help, what you're doing is wrong" and so on. I sit back in my little corner of the world and wonder, have I become a heavier liability? My cost is starting to rise for the Mrs. and maybe she's wondering if she'll be able to afford me or just doesn't think I'm worth the cost. I'm wondering if the things we experience in life are just "liabilities" and what cost are we willing to bear for those "liabilities"?

Anyway, just an "off the wall" thought I had.:straightface:

Rogina B
09-08-2013, 10:03 PM
Not right...But there are some that think in the reverse when their wife "has issues".. I don't think as a humanist that I can agree. Love doesn't have limits or boundaries or the like....fondness may,but that isn't the same as love.

GaleWarning
09-08-2013, 10:13 PM
One person's liability is another's asset.

Beverley Sims
09-09-2013, 04:27 AM
Like life marriage is full of pitfalls.
You have to work together to get yourself out of any hole you fall into.
I find that constant work on any problems helps resolve the issues.

Kate Simmons
09-09-2013, 06:49 AM
Could be I guess but I don't see it as a liability as much as I see it as a priority. We have to decide what is more important to us, our own personal happiness or the overall happiness with our partner as a couple and as a team. When we have a relationship it's no longer just about us but that is a personal choice we make. Can we have our "cake" and eat it too? It possible but not always practical.:)

kimdl93
09-09-2013, 11:55 AM
One person's liability is another's asset.

That's literally true, at least in accounting and finance. Maybe in relationships too...but in the balance sheet of life, the goal is to increase net equity, right? Sometimes we assume liabilities....short and long term debt, for example in order to acquire assets and grow wealth. A relationship...at least a marriage, should be a partnership where each shares equally in assets and liabilities. In the case of transgenderism, we perhaps assume a liability by revealing our nature, as we understand it, but we can retire the debt with honesty, tolerance and consideration...together. And the asset gained is deepened trust and a stronger commitment to each other.

Jodi
09-09-2013, 12:52 PM
Obviously I was a liability. If I had been an asset, I wouldn't be divorced today.

That is very simple logic for me.

Jodi

LilSissyStevie
09-09-2013, 02:05 PM
I wasn't so much a liability to my first wife as I was excess baggage. She realized she didn't need me AND a boyfriend. So she left.

O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay! He chortled in his joy.

sandra-leigh
09-09-2013, 02:58 PM
My spouse has been talking in terms of me being a liability to her. Considering the amount of effort I went through to stay with her and support her in her years of need, what she says upsets me a fair bit.

Nikki A.
09-09-2013, 06:57 PM
I think liability is the wrong word to use. Yes our CDing can create difficult situations in our relationships. But this is just a part of who we are. We also have "assets" to counteract our liabilities. If the assets outweigh the liabilities then there is usually someway that a couple can come to an agreement.