PDA

View Full Version : Contact Lenses

Beverly
09-09-2013, 09:13 AM
After twenty+ years of looking through glasses, I finally got contacts a few days ago. I am just getting used to putting them and taking them out. I am very careful not to get anything in my eyes or rub them. My question is (I couldn't ask my eye doctor), what about makeup. Do I do my eyes first then put my contacts in? How do you use re-wetting drops without your mascara running?
Thanks, Bev...

SophieKitty
09-09-2013, 09:15 AM
I'm terrified of contacts, which is why I'm really having trouble with eyeliner. But I hope to get contacts soon, my guess is put contacts in first because otherwise you might smudge makeup?

Help we need a GG for advice!

Beverly
09-09-2013, 09:20 AM
SophieKitty, Don't wait any longer! The moment the Doctor put them in my eyes, I knew they were for me. My fear was touching my eyeballs. But you don't really do that. You touch the contacts. A few days of practice and it's a piece of cake!

Ceri Anne
09-09-2013, 09:23 AM
Due to needing bifocals and doing up close detail work, I don't wear contacts now, but used to. 1. use waterproof mascara always. if you need to remove the evidence, it comes off with makeup wipes. 2. put contacts in first. Your eyes may water a bit, particularly at first, and you want to make sure they seat properly, besides, you want to see what your doing with the makeup.

Marcelle
09-09-2013, 09:25 AM
Hi Sophie Kitty,

Contacts are great. If you can put an eyeliner pencil on the inner side of your lid, you will master contacts. The good thing about contacts for me now (as I have gotten to the age where reading glasses are important), I only have to wear one. I see distance with one eye and up close with the other . . . my optometrist turned me on to that and it works great.

Hugs

Isha

Beverly
09-09-2013, 09:26 AM
Thank You Ceri.

Angela Campbell
09-09-2013, 09:39 AM
Since I got contacts I simply will not do without them. I also need bifocals and they solve the problem by putting the close reading one in one eye and the distance in the other eye. It seems the brain can filter out what it does not need.

I always put them in before I do makeup...I cannot see to do it otherwise. I also take them out after makeup removal, and the rewetting drops have not been a problem for me.

I had no trouble learning to put them in, I was so used to poking myself in the eye with mascara and eyeliner my fear of stuff touching the eyes was pretty much gone anyway.

Babette
09-09-2013, 10:12 AM
I have worn contacts for years and always leave them in place when applying makeup. However, I am very careful when using loose powders and other eye shadows. Despite the precaution, some powders occasionally make it into my eyes. It helps to experiment with various makeup products to discover which ones will cause the most eye irritation and then avoid using them.

My biggest problem with contacts is when the makeup is removed. I always take the lenses out while using any remover and/or soap. You know the old saying about an ounce of prevention being worth a pound of cure.

Take care.

Babette

Druscilla Supernovae
09-09-2013, 10:57 AM
I tried contacts. Couldn't do it. It was a little hard getting them in and impossible getting them out.

cyndigurl45
09-09-2013, 11:49 AM
I have the new multi-focal contacts and just love them, I get them in first then make-up ;-)

ArleneRaquel
09-09-2013, 12:26 PM
I am deathly afraid of contacts and I have worn glasses since 1959. I feel that glasses can be a positive fashion statemen and wear vintage cat's eye style. I believe even if I didn't need perscription eyewear I would were "fake frames" because I believe that chosing the correct style can do so much for a girl's looks & allure.

Beverly
09-10-2013, 06:32 AM
Thank you Everyone!!!
Very good information!

Beverley Sims
09-12-2013, 11:59 PM
You have me thinking now maybe I will go for contacts....
Damn glasses. :)

docrobbysherry
09-13-2013, 12:44 AM
I don't bother in drab anymore. But dressed, I don't have to wear glasses unless I want them for effect!:battingeyelashes:

I'm near sighted. So, I must put on makeup BEFORE I put in the contacts! Otherwise, I have to stand 4' away from the mirror to focus!:doh:

I put on all my makeup first. But, go easy on eyeliner. Then, put in my contacts and touch up my eyeliner. It helps to use cream eyeliner rather than wet. Which smears easily.:)

I don't color my eyelids. That would smear like crazy putting in the lenses. I also have to be very careful not to get eye makeup on my fingers and lenses!:sad:

Milli Montanari
09-13-2013, 03:42 AM
I'm shortsighted so I need to stand close to the mirror to see properly. So I curl lashes then do mascara, waterproof, first on the top lashes, then put the contacts in and follow with mascara on the bottom lashes. That way there's no danger of getting mascara on the lenses. Might seem a bit weird but it works for me.

Beverly
09-13-2013, 07:25 AM
After a week, I am getting very good at putting them in and taking them out. I should have done this years ago! Go for it Beverley!

Dena
09-14-2013, 08:44 AM
We have bifocal contacts now?! Where have I been? I may have to go back, glasses are such a racket
(blow me, Visionworks)!

I stopped wearing contacts because I was needing reading glasses with them. Contacts are much more
comfortable than glasses, and the vision correction is better. They don't fog up, and don't get covered in raindrops.

I put the lenses in first, then do the makeup. haven't had any problems. use waterproof eyeliner and mascara.