PDA

View Full Version : Starting a CD support group

Allison Chaynes
09-10-2013, 12:04 PM
I am looking into maybe starting a Tri-Ess type group where I live, as it is just outside a major US city with not much available, support wise. Does anyone have advice for how to go about the process? I'm not sure I can do this from home, so I'm in the brainstorming stage.

Katie1989
09-10-2013, 01:50 PM
Well where are you at? I'm sure if you got in touch with tri-was they would guide you along.

LisaDee
09-10-2013, 02:12 PM
I will join if your are near me.

GaleWarning
09-10-2013, 02:41 PM
I think Katie's advice is spot-on. Contact tri-ess and ask them how to set up a chapter in your area.

nethiker55
09-10-2013, 04:02 PM
Maybe give us all a hint where I am pretty sure a lot of gurls here would be interested if it was in their area. I know as there is no group I can find in SW Pa I would be interested

rita63
09-11-2013, 08:35 AM
If you provide even a vague idea of your location you may find there is already more going on in your area than you know. I live in a largely small town part of Ontario, the largest centre is about 350K population. I attend 2 different support groups, 2 social groups and a number of spontaneous events. As well when something of interest is happening in a larger centre nearby there is usually a bunch to go with or meet there. Get out and look we are out here having fun and being together.

hugs rita

Amy Lynn3
09-11-2013, 11:37 AM
Allison, I really hope you get it up and running. I don't have any advise to offer, but if you are locating within driving distance of me, I will join.

Wishing you the best with this idea,
Amy

Allison Chaynes
09-12-2013, 11:03 AM
Thanks everyone. I am in the Mid South. The only thing I found was a group really geared more toward those who are transitioning. I'm planning on attending one of the meetings soon. Another CD told me it wasn't really as CD friendly as she thought it would be when she went. I should have thought to contact Tri-Ess before asking, great suggestion!

Nicole Erin
09-12-2013, 08:33 PM
Doesn't HAVE to be a chapter of tri-ess.
We have a few groups in Indy, one of them welcomes CD or TS, neither is treated better or worse than the other.
Maybe make the goal of the group for anyone who identifies as TG but of course wives would be welcome. You probably will not be getting any genetic men who are not at least CD.
For meeting place, maybe look into GLBT friendly churches, clubhouses, or whatever. Decide early on what the rules of the group are. Like maybe you don't want a meet market, booze, or drugs at meetings. make that clear.
You could contact ShannonDragon here on the forum, she co-hosts a group here in Indy, she could give good advice.

Also, try to decide HOW the meetings will be conducted. Well like at ours, people start showing up about 6:00'ish, it is a pitch-in dinner, $5 to help cover costs of running group, Sometimes we intro ourselves, the hostesses say a few things about TG happenings or whatever, people hang out, chat, and about 10:00 most people are gone. Nothing real formal but a little structure at least.

vanitysumers
09-12-2013, 08:45 PM
try meetup.com

http://www.meetup.com/find/

I am sure they might have something in your area.