PDA

View Full Version : Body-consciousness

dandy
09-14-2013, 06:56 PM
I was thinking the other day about how much of my own body was foreign to me before I really started to dress. For example, as an adult I've always been a perfect size 10.5 D in men's shoes, never even once had to question it regardless of the manufacturer. But the moment I started buying heels, I learned my feet are two different sizes - left foot is at least half a size smaller than my right foot. I most likely would never have known or had reason to notice this if I didn't dress.

There are other things about my body, my skin, my hair, etc., I never would've even paid a moment's notice. Do you find that once you embraced dressing, you had a much better understanding (and even relationship) with your own body?

gautier_nikolai
09-14-2013, 07:36 PM
Definately once you start to wear tighter clothing like female clothing it tends to emphasize everything.I wear a mens' small shirt and i'm not skinny (i have a lil pot belly now unfortunately).However in my slim fitting mens' shirt you wouldn't know i'm overweight at all.

I have always had this difficult relationship with my body even past teenage school years when i was skinny well into my 20's; well before i started dressing.However, i believe it is because of my sexuality being gay means i'm more aware of what looks good and what looks bad in a mens' body being attracted it to.So i was always harsh on myself comparing myself with perfect twinks and later athletes' bodies and stuff.Maybe that's the opposite for you (I'm assuming you're straight).You know what you find attractive in female bodies and ggs in general and want to emulate it.

I've read quite a few threads on here regarding how folks after they started dressing or really accepting that part of themselves started taking much better care of their hair, skin, nails, weight and general health etc.. than they ever did in drab.So i see it as a positive, pampering thing.

Also , regarding the differing shoe sizes in male mode as opposed to en femme.That's a whole new quandry when buying en femme.You can be 2 completely different sizes for a top or skirt or dress in different brands of clothing or stores.That can be frustrating.

Angie G
09-14-2013, 07:50 PM
Very much so Dandy. I notice thing I never would have thought of if not dressing.:hugs:
Angie

reb.femme
09-14-2013, 08:01 PM
I've been one of those horrible nail biters for most of my life, but seem to have almost eradicated the habit due to wanting my nails to look good en femme. Tonight I painted them a cute lilac and whilst my right hand is looking the best at present, the little finger nail looks awesome (sad isn't it). The best bit is I actually have to file them. A minor point for most but to this chew addict, it's a major milestone.

I pluck my eyebrows and very obviously too, as they are quite thin for a guy. However, I'm absolutely in love with my eyebrow shape now and bought an eyebrow set tonight of powder, stencils and brush. :o

So I have to concur, my dressing is having a very positive affect on my day to day presentation whether en femme or in Bob mode. :)

Rebecca

BLUE ORCHID
09-14-2013, 08:38 PM
Hi Dandy, I've been dressing for almost 66yrs. Everything just feels natural .

Kate Simmons
09-14-2013, 09:17 PM
Yup, pretty much comes with the "turf" Hon.:)

Beverley Sims
09-14-2013, 10:53 PM
Kate,
You beat me to the punch on that one. :)

Dandy,
Just think how educational your activities are.
You know a lot more about how unsymmetrical your body really is now.