PDA

View Full Version : evidence of crossdressing in old times

celeste26
12-26-2005, 02:46 PM
This link will take you to Fordham university and its medieval sourcebook. IN it is a record of the confessions of a crossdressing prostitute circa 1395!

www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/1395rykener.html

Check it out if you want

Sweet Susan
12-26-2005, 02:48 PM
I will. I did. Rather interesting, but I have to wonder.

erica12b
12-26-2005, 02:57 PM
make you think ,

gennee
12-26-2005, 03:19 PM
Crossdressing goes way back in ancient civilizations. Crssdressers and transgendered folks were held in god like status in many Asian and African societies. Transgenderism is common in many Native American tribes on this continent. Lesie Feinberg's book Transgender Warriors goes into some detail. I have Native American blood and read about transsexuals and transvestites as medicine men. Also, transgenders and crossdressers were at the forefront of the many social upheavals throughout history. The Stonewall Riots of 1969 is an example of a modern movement which gave transgenders and crossdresser power and visibility.

Gennee:)

Helana
12-27-2005, 01:14 AM
Do keep in mind there is a difference between crossdressing homosexuals and "crossdressers" who are overwhelmingly hetrosexual. While there are many historical references to gays crossdressing, there is almost no reference to hetrosexual men crossdressing before the 18th century. It is possible that hetrosexual crossdressing is a modern phenomenon brought about by trends in our society namely sexual objectification, disposible income, aesthetic clothing etc.

DanaJ
12-27-2005, 09:30 AM
The Roman emperor Caligulia (12-41 AD) sometimes dressed as a woman, and even cut the heads off many statues, including female statues, and replaced them with his own head - thus doing the first Photoshop editing :D

JoAnnDallas
12-27-2005, 10:05 AM
Very interesting reading. I love to read articles like that. IMHO, I bet they did not do anything to him, since he could site names of not only very important people, but important people in the church. just goes to prove that the recent problems the church has had and not that recent.