PDA

View Full Version : Favorite TS Books?

dreamer_2.0
09-19-2013, 02:22 PM
The title says it all. Curious about any good book recommendations regarding TG/TS. Be they psych books, memoirs, anything really that you found inspirational, helpful, or just plain entertaining.

arbon
09-19-2013, 03:02 PM
I liked "Whippig Girl"

also "Sacred Country" by Rose Tremain

KellyJameson
09-19-2013, 04:05 PM
Strangely one of the most powerful books for me had nothing to do with being transsexual but about adults trying to force a gender identity on someone.

In my opinion one of the traumatic experiences of being transsexual is having a gender identity forced on you by adults that is opposite how you know yourself to be.

Your physical body is opposite of you and as an extension of this body so are all the people you have contact with as how they identify your gender.

The story is about David Reimer who lost his penis during that thing they do to boys when they remove the foreskin, the name of the procedure escapes me right now.

They decided to turn him into a girl because they believed you could make a person into whatever gender you want.

Very tragic story but it really resonated with me even though it was the opposite of my experience.

The same problem happens with those who are intersex where the genitalia are ambiguous so they assign a "sex' usually female because the saying goes that it is easier to dig a hole than build a pole.

Many end up experiencing gender dysphoria and finally the attitudes are changing where they are waiting until the child can decide later in life.

Gender is in the brain, not the body and it is physical.

tanyalynn51
09-19-2013, 04:45 PM
The King's Deception, by Steve Berry. Its a novel, and more of a Historical Mystery, but posits that one of my favorite historical people was actually a transsexual. The theory is highly improbable, but a nice idea, and a great read. I have omitted the historical person's name for the purpose of the mystery, but will say who if asked. That person isn't presented in a completely positive light, but then she wasn't exactly a perfect person.

LeaP
09-19-2013, 05:25 PM
I second "Whipping Girl" for its semantic and conceptal clarity. The book is THE best intersection between transsexuality and feminism.

"She's Not There" by Jenny Boylan. It's a biography, but unlike most other trans biographies, it is exceptionally well-written. (The author is a literature professor.) The material contributed by Pulitizer Prize-winning author Richard Russo is worth the price of the book alone. Jenny best conveys what it feels like to be trans - growing up, through a variety of relationships, in marriage ... and then through transition.

"The Transgender Guidebook" by Anne Boedecker. Anne is an experienced, non-trans psychologist who specializes in gender. This book is mostly about transition.

"Transgender History" by Susan Stryker. Just that - the history of transsexuality: culture, politics, medicine, etc.

Lynn Conway's site. Lynn is a MAJOR figure in the history of computing. She transitioned at IBM (and was fired) in 1968. The trans content of her site was groundbreaking in its time. She is frequently cited for her work on the true prevalence of transsexuality. http://ai.eecs.umich.edu/people/conway/

Rabbi Tilsen's page on Deuteronomy 22 (pertinent to both CDs and TS). A cultural topic worth mastering. http://www.beki.org/crossdress.html

"The Gendered Self" by Anne Vitale. Anne is a transitioned psychologist known for her work on how gender dysphoria manifests itself throughout various stages of life.

I suggest staying as close to current source material as possible as far as medical, psychological, and biological knowledge goes. A LOT of what is commonly cited and discussed is hideously outdated. Two good sources are National Institutes of Health abstracts and The Endocrine Society Journal.

The Pacific Center for Sex and Society site. Dr. Milton Diamond is the well from which a lot of original research springs. http://www.hawaii.edu/PCSS/

That's a start.

Angela Campbell
09-19-2013, 06:39 PM
I liked "the riddle of gender" by Deborah Rudacille. It has the personal stories of trans women and men, some history, and some fairly dry clinical stuff.

Stephanie-L
09-19-2013, 10:00 PM
While it is not exactly TS fiction, and the work is terribly dated, I liked Heinlein's "I Will Fear No Evil". It is an interesting look at the concept of gender in relation to the attitudes of the 1950's. There are also some good bits on dystopian societies..............Stephanie

vikki2020
09-19-2013, 11:26 PM
Well, can't contribute to the reading list, but, thanks to all for giving me my reading "to do" list! (Lynn Conway---wow! what an inspiration!)

Anne Elizabeth
09-20-2013, 12:05 AM
My most favorite two are
Trans-gendered Theology Ministry and Communities of Faith By Justin Tanis a F to M Harvard School of Theology Graduate working at the MCC church. This is a very good one if you are also trying to put your faith in the middle of transition.

Transition and Beyond (Second edition) By Reid Vanderburgh MA, LMFT also a F to M recommended by my Therapist.

I keep going back to these two books ove and over again.

I have been working on Julia Serano's Whipping Girl. Very thought provoking.

I have also read Jennifer Finney Boylyn" books very good also.

Tammy V
09-20-2013, 06:32 PM
THE most helpful book to me, especially in the context of having loved ones and people you come out to read, is "The Gendered Self: Further Commentary on the Transsexual Phenomenon" by Anne Vitale. it is also the most concise and complete discussion of our situation that I have read.

Another one that was good is "True Selves: Understanding Transsexualism--For Families, Friends, Coworkers, and Helping Professionals" by Chloe Ann Rounsley...

LeaP
09-20-2013, 07:02 PM
I love Anne Vitale's work and have her book on my list also. I elected not to give it to my wife, however, as Anne is trans, and my wife regards such people as having an agenda.

In a somewhat different vein, "True Selves" is good. My therapist gave it to me as assigned reading at one point, in fact. My copy is marked up and tabbed! I wish it did not go into surgery, though, as that is a bit of overload to non-trans people new to the topic.

Tammy V
09-20-2013, 07:12 PM
LeaP, I think some aspects of "True Selves" can be a little off-putting for someone's initial introduction. In my mind, not so much the surgery aspects as it talks a lot in the individual case studies about genitals and people's feelings on them. Not that its not a valid part of the transsexual experience, but it can be a little harsh for some readers perhaps...

Kathryn Martin
09-20-2013, 08:14 PM
"Trans-sister Radio" by Chris Bohjalian and "She's not there" by Jenny Boylan. I have also read, you guessed it "The Transsexual Phenomenon" by Harry Benjamin.

I have really read no other trans related books. I have read a massive amount of scientific research, have researched a massive amount of scientific research.

Nicole Erin
09-20-2013, 08:39 PM
I recommend not throwing away a single cent on any book about transgender. If you can read some for free like a friend's copy or at the library,, have at it if you have nothing to do but do not actually pay for a copy.

Pretty much any book I have read about transgender issues has put me to sleep.
When I first started dressing, I wanted to know how to put together outfits, makeup, basically how to "pass" or at least present well. Maybe how to find other TG people who could give me pointers. This was back when I didn't know the difference between mascara and a blouse.
So I read several TG books and they all had the same theme - bullcrap about people's feelings. About how we are normal people. About how someone's family felt. BBOOOORRRIIINNNGGGG!
OK so maybe you want to read about all that.
I have never found a decent book about how to dress or present as a woman, at least nothing that didn't give poor advice or explain how fun it is to wear a wedding dress (give me a f'in break)

But there is one book that REALLY cranked up the diarrhea dial. "Miss Vera's finishing school for boys who want to be girls". Oh my GYOD that book sucked the chrome off a trailer hitch. I bought it when I was starting thinking it would have some kind of golden advice about how to transition or at least CD. NOOOOO, all it was was this book advertising her overpriced school where men go to dress like Swiss Miss and she might allow them to fondle themselves in a candle lit room. I ain't f'in joking, sis. That and the students shown in the book look like the late Ronnie James Dio in drag.
Reason I am pissed off still after 16 years is cause the store ordered the book, I waited a week or two for it to arrive, nervously paid for it, and expected a LOT. I guess I was expecting (metaphorically speaking) a glass of fine wine but instead got a glass of puke. Miss Vera can cram it.

Today, of course I learned all about dressing, voice, presenting as a female, HRT, living full time, makeup, clothes blah blah blah... NO THANKS to any stupid book. But I DID learn how Mr CD and Mrs CDWife sat and cried together when he told her his big secret. Now let us all sit together and wail loudly, cry, and wipe the boogers off each others' noses cause it is so emotional.

Tammy V
09-20-2013, 11:16 PM
I found the couple of books I listed to be helpful to those in my family when I came out as they were hit by this information about me and had no idea or reference of what being transsexual or transition was all about except what I told them....

Ariamythe
09-21-2013, 05:59 AM
Let me add to the Jenny Boylan recommendation train. I'm reading her new one, Stuck in the Middle With You, right now. She has a phenomenal writing voice.

But, a caveat: reading Boylan's story will frustrate you a bit and make you jealous. When it comes to adult MtF transition stories, hers is almost idyllic. She did not lose her wife, did not lose her kids, barely lost any friends, was fully supported by her employer ... I mean, there's very little else that could have gone right for her, given her situation. It's definitely worth a read, but don't go in expecting a sob story.

Bunny Girl Zoe
09-21-2013, 06:30 AM
Ladyboys the secret world of thailand's third gender is a great read and also The Third Sex: Kathoey - Thailand's Ladyboys.

ShannonDragon
09-21-2013, 07:09 AM
I have not read it yet, but a friend of mine wrote about her transition in her book Left Hander in London.

Marleena
09-21-2013, 09:22 AM
Thanks to the OP for this thread.

When I first started to post in this section I was told I needed to do some reading up.lol. I had only cared that I got my own problem fixed and not being much of a bookworm I had neglected to read anything on the subject. When I did start to do some research I found a lot of outdated material. I decided the best approach would be to find an author that actually was working in the field and was dealing with TS people ( a qualified gender therapist). I find Anne Vitale to be a very credible source of information. Now I have other sources here to look at. Thank you.

glynnis
09-21-2013, 09:25 AM
Secret Struggles by V Morgan I thought was pretty good.

cdsara
09-21-2013, 01:38 PM
I felt the gendered self was hard to read. It was very clinical and hard to stay interested. But that's only my opinion.

dreamer_2.0
09-21-2013, 02:32 PM
Lots of great suggestions here. Thanks, everyone! :)

Jean Marie
09-28-2013, 12:37 PM
i loved "Trans-Sister" let me reccomend Hung in thre Middle written by a local friend of mine.

Kaitlyn Michele
09-28-2013, 01:15 PM
I may be nuts but Jennifer boylan's book reads like a fairy tale...excellent writer but the story sounded made up and too good to be true..i felt like I ate a bucket of Halloween candy afterwards...I wanted to puke...ok hyperbole...kill me..

the most interesting read on this for me was Julia Serrano's book Whipping girl.. she had some really really interesting ideas that resonated with me....check it out and read the part about the HBO movie "Normal" for example...

I also think Anne Vitale's work (including her web articles) is really thoughtful and insightful...yes its a ts perspective but as a fellow ts I know she speaks truth

Sarah V
09-29-2013, 03:27 PM
"My Husband Betty", "My Husband Likes To Wear My Clothes", "Transgenders, and Those That Love Them", and "Princess Warrior" come to mind.

kimdl93
10-01-2013, 05:17 PM
the Wasteland...by TS Elliot

steftoday
10-01-2013, 07:01 PM
Another fan of "Whipping Girl" here...

Mink
10-01-2013, 07:19 PM
not so much about TS but The World According to Garp!

read it a few months back and the transsexual ex-football player Roberta Muldoon was a great great character!

and the way people treated her in the book for the time it was written was pretty awesome and progressive!

still need to see the movie but i'm looking forward to it (esp. john lithgow playing roberta!)

though seeing the movie after reading the book often doesn't work out too well!

kimberly ann487
10-02-2013, 10:16 PM
Everyone, not just transsexual women, should read "Whipping Girl" by Julia Serano. Also, "The Transgender Guidebook: Keys to a Successful Transition" by Anne L. Boedecker was very helpful.

IwishIwasTracy
10-02-2013, 10:21 PM
I found Mirror Image by Nancy Hunt to be a good read

Tracy

Gretchen_To_Be
10-02-2013, 10:25 PM
Mirror Image was the first book I read on MTF transition. I was maybe 12 or 13 and found it in the library. I was so ashamed and worried I would be exposed that I would approach the aisle as though it were a spy mission, then, with multiple "cover" books in hand would quickly remove it and find a quiet corner. I had to read it over multiple visits because I couldn't dare check it out. It was riveting, and it cemented in my mind that I was different.

dunkelkreuz
10-15-2013, 02:41 PM
I am surprise no one mentioned the young adults books in this section. Here goes mine:

almost perfect and luna. I know the themes in the novel are simple but i started blockers when i laid my hands on them and as we all know sometimes those nasty magic pills makes us feel like undergoing puberty again.

Kirsten1
10-15-2013, 03:06 PM
I started with "My Husband wears my Clothes" which kind of opened my eyes on crossdressing and my need to do it. I did read "Alice in Genderland" which is rather extreme in my book. Not something I would necessarily recommend. I am currently reading "My Husband Betty" Kind of boring....

Mink
10-15-2013, 03:22 PM
Everyone, not just transsexual women, should read "Whipping Girl" by Julia Serano.

i was suggested this book by a VERY cool gal and plan to read it next... hope i enjoy it!