PDA

View Full Version : Party Planning

Persephone
09-21-2013, 05:18 PM
My guyself's best friend is putting together a Birthday Party tonight (Saturday) for his wife (one of my best friends).

At the beginning of the week we had lunch together and he asked me to help him get some of the stuff for the party since he'd never put together a party before and was at loose ends.

He had created a guest list and a list of some of the things he'd need. We went to a store and walked through it together. I helped him get stuff he knew he needed, plates, cups, etc. along with stuff he hadn't thought about, centerpieces and the like.

They didn't have plastic tablecloths and some other things in the right colors or styles so I suggested we go to another store.

"Nah," he said, "I'm kinda shopped out for now. I'll get those things a different day."

Figuring I might help him with some of it I said, "When do you plan to do that?"

"I donno," he said, "Probably Saturday."

(I'm sure a shudder just went through every GG reading this).

"Uh, you're gonna have an aweful lot to do Saturday," I said.

"Nah," he said, "Just gotta lay stuff out and stuff like that, it'll be fine."

This morning I was baking cookies for the party when he called, "You'll be able to come by a little early to help, won't you?"

"Yeah," I said, "What time?"

"Oh," he said, "Probably after dinner."

"Do you need stuff this morning?" I asked.

"Nah," he said, "My daughter's here helping me."

Suddenly I felt better and said, "Cool, see you later."

So why did I have more confidence when his daughter was there? Don't we all automatically feel that women know how to do "that stuff?" Why?

How many CDs (or other males here) have put together an event like a party or a buffet dinner? How many of the GGs have?

How many are comfortable/uncomfortable about putting together an event?

Hugs,
Persephone.

Rogina B
09-21-2013, 10:09 PM
I am cool with it so I am definitely..GIRLY!! You certainly have had a foot on each side of the gender fence on this one..Hope the party comes out as your friend planned...lol

gautier_nikolai
09-21-2013, 10:27 PM
I'm far too much of a procrastinator and more too disorganised to ever get an event ready for a specific date with lots of different strands to get organised prior.

GGs tend to have the sterotype of being multi-taskers or much better than men and stuff like that don't they?

I'm not sure how much it bears out in reality and why it might be so?I'm not your "typical" male either:heehee:.

I hope everything gets in place before the event and everyone including those involved in the organisation can enjoy their hard work.

docrobbysherry
09-21-2013, 10:49 PM
I know exactly how to organize those types of events, Barbara. Mention it to one of the women in the family or my ex. They'll take it over whether I want them to or not!

I haven't single handedly planned a party since back in my booze party single days!

Beverley Sims
09-22-2013, 01:15 AM
Being an event organizer even putting a table against a wall with food to eat is a disaster.
People need to get round the table.
Parties organized in five minutes usually last that long.
Most people just do not realise.
Women are equally as bad when it comes to the crunch.

Tamara Croft
09-22-2013, 01:41 AM
You put tables against the walls so they don't get knocked over from the people fighting over the food and also stops children running around them... It's also a fire hazard having them in the middle of a room...

I've planned and hosted many parties, we start at least a month in advance, shopping list, what we are making, what days to make everything, how to plate it etc.. I sat and made my granddaughters fairy cake tower birthday cake and because so many guests were coming, I sat and hand iced 72 of them!! Took me hours...

Persephone
09-22-2013, 02:05 AM
He pulled it off! With the last minute help of his daughter and his sister.

It was a lovely event for about 30 people, complete with crepe paper decorations, wall banners, and a fabulous Birthday Cake.

Everything was done very well.

Hugs,
Persephone.