PDA

View Full Version : Going to meet my niece

I Am Paula
09-22-2013, 07:04 AM
Before I went full time, I thought there was no need to ever tell some of my relatives that live far away, or I don't see often. Now, on HRT, and in full transition, I have no secrets. My sister, (best friend, mentor, yoda) asked if she could tell her daughter. Sure. She got right back to me by email, saying how proud she was that I was following the path that I was.
My niece is on a business trip, and will be about thirty miles away today. We are meeting at a pub for lunch. I love meeting people for the first time as a woman, because of course, they will have all sorts of pre-conceived notions about what I will look like. Ha! Most are surprised at how 'normal' I am. I guess they always expect a drag queen, or a Benny Hill lookalike.
I must be excited, it's only 8 a.m. and I'm getting ready for a noon meeting!
My niece and I have never been close, but by corresponding via email, we have gotten to know each other a lot more. During transition, I'm finding a much greater need, and appreciation for family.
Just thought I'd share. Love and acceptance makes this whole crazy trip just that much easier.

steftoday
09-22-2013, 07:12 AM
I hope the lunch and meeting go well for you!

Bunny Girl Zoe
09-22-2013, 07:13 AM
Hope all go well and have nice lunch.

kimdl93
09-22-2013, 07:19 AM
That's great Celeste. I hope that you forge a closer new relationship with your niece, as her aunt, than you had before.

I Am Paula
09-22-2013, 07:24 AM
She has called me Uncle since she learned to talk. I wonder how many times that'll slip today! LOL

ronda
09-22-2013, 07:34 AM
Have fun sounds like all will go well her eyes will not tell her uncle they will say Aunt Hugs Ronda

Leah Lynn
09-22-2013, 09:45 AM
Hoping all goes well.

Hugs,
Leah

stefan37
09-22-2013, 10:49 AM
I guess nieces and nephews can be a sticky situation. I have told my nieces and nephews I will always be their uncle. They can call me uncle Steph if they wish or just uncle. I will never be their aunt, just as I will never be a mother to my kids. My kids will continue to call me dad forever, and I will be proud to be their father. Transitioning at a later age and in place, means stealth will never be an option for me. Just a thought.

I Am Paula
09-22-2013, 06:52 PM
Thanks for all the responses. We got off to a shaky start when we discovered that EVERYTHING in Bolton is closed on Sunday. We found a greek takeout place with a couple of tables. Not elegant, but we were there to get to know each other.
We had a wonderful time, and she was completely comfy with my presentation. At the end she mentioned that I had always been hard to get to know, but as a woman I was much easier to talk to.
I think we may build a beautiful friendship.
Score 1 for the tranny!

Leah Lynn
09-22-2013, 07:22 PM
Glad it went well, other than the dining arrangements.

Hugs,
Leah