PDA

View Full Version : right or left

dominique
09-23-2013, 04:05 AM
I've a house hold of females. I asked this question to them just out of the blue Which shoulder do you put your handbag on and why? So I'm opening up to the rest of you. Me I put mine on my left shoulder because its easier to get into.

AmyGaleRT
09-23-2013, 04:14 AM
Hmm, Dominique! I just tried it with my favorite purse to see how I naturally put it on. I slip my head and right arm through the strap and wear it cross-body, with the strap on the left shoulder and the purse itself resting along my right side. I think it's because I'm right-handed, and my dominant hand is the one that tends to dig into the purse for things like my keys, pocketbook, makeup, or phone.

With my original purse, which is larger and has only long handles without a shoulder strap, I still tend to carry it on my right, either under the right arm with the handles over the shoulder, or with the handles hooked over my right elbow. Again, when reaching into it, my left hand would hold it open while my right hand rooted around for whatever I needed.

- Amy

Vickie_CDTV
09-23-2013, 05:26 AM
I put mine on my right shoulder (my right that is), and hold it with my right hand. Holding it also helps to keep me from swinging my right arm while walking.

Cynthia Anne
09-23-2013, 06:14 AM
I'm a lefty also! It just seems natural to me!

BLUE ORCHID
09-23-2013, 07:06 AM
Hi Dominique , I'm right handed and it's on my right shoulder .

bridget thronton
09-23-2013, 08:53 AM
I am right handed - wear my purse on my left shoulder

Veronica27
09-23-2013, 09:05 AM
Right handed, but prefer a purse on my left shoulder, or if cross body, over my head on my right shoulder and hanging on my left. I like to root through the purse in front of me and use my left hand to push it in place while my right hand does the digging. With trouser pockets, most needs go in my right side pocket as I don't need to (and can't) pull the pocket to the front.

Veronica

Cynthia99
09-23-2013, 09:08 AM
Left shoulder. Never thought about it before.

But I'm right handed!

heathr1
09-23-2013, 09:17 AM
Believe it or not, I have not carried a handbag since my late teens, when mom asked me to carry hers in town :) It was not over my shoulder, so I held it with my right hand.

Angie G
09-23-2013, 09:28 AM
on my left shoulder it just feels right.:hugs:
Angie

suzy1
09-23-2013, 09:28 AM
Left.......................or maybe right.................no its left..............I think?
My answer to this very important question.:)

Meg East
09-23-2013, 10:22 AM
Right because the reason for my concealed carry permit is close by.

Stephanie Michelle
09-23-2013, 10:48 AM
I am ambidextrous but left side dominant. I have my purse on my left shoulder most of the time.

Tracii G
09-23-2013, 10:56 AM
I would give my right arm to be ambidextrous LOL.
Seriously usually the left because its easier to get in and out of the car with it and I'm a cross draw kind of girl.

Beverley Sims
09-23-2013, 11:11 AM
Which way do you do up a belt?
Which way do you tie a bathrobe?
Which way????

Jaymees22
09-23-2013, 11:15 AM
Hi, I usually put it on the right, I think it's the same as which ear you like to use when talking on the phone. I prefer using my right ear. Jaymee

Cheryl T
09-23-2013, 01:00 PM
I generally carry mine on my right shoulder, though if I'm out shopping it does switch back and forth depending on what I'm looking at and how long it's been on one or the other.

suchacutie
09-23-2013, 01:54 PM
Both, depending on the situation (i.e. left getting out of a car, right if it's the inside of a street as I walk). But, since I blew my right rotator cuff last year, most everything goes on the left shoulder now.

carhill2mn
09-23-2013, 01:57 PM
Mine automatically (grin) goes to my left shoulder.

AllieSF
09-23-2013, 03:28 PM
Left shoulder tucked under my armpit for me. That also puts the zipper at the front of the purse allowing me to open it without taking it off my shoulder to get to that zipper.

ReineD
09-23-2013, 03:39 PM
IMO it depends on handedness. A right handed person would tend to wear the back on her left shoulder, so as to not have it be a hindrance when she is using her right hand. Bags tend to either bang into the things we are handling or slip off the shoulder, if we are using the same side hand as the bag is being worn.

And the reverse for left handed people.

Lorileah
09-23-2013, 04:01 PM
It depends on which side the man is walking. If he is on my left the purse is on the right and vice versa. ;)
It also depends on where I am. If I need to "protect it" then it is on my right side and my right hand is holding the front strap, forearm on top. Otherwise it is on my left side so I can use my right arm for looking at clothes or grabbing things off the shelf. I rarely go cross body like Amy unless I need to make sure the dang thing doesn't slip off

rhonda
09-23-2013, 04:13 PM
You know I'm gonna buy me a purse just to see , yup that's what I'm gonna do

paulaprimo
09-23-2013, 04:18 PM
always the left shoulder, never ever even thought about the right shoulder.
never realized that before until your question. :)

Michaelasfun
09-23-2013, 04:28 PM
Right handed, but wear it on my left shoulder. I bat left-handed in baseball tho, so I hope that doesn't confuse the situation more :straightface:

robindee36
09-23-2013, 04:46 PM
Cross body, right shoulder to left hip. Leaves my dominant hand free while keeping the purse secure. Got to remember where I live ;)

Hugs, Robin

Zylia
09-23-2013, 04:47 PM
I use messenger bags all the time and I always wear them with the strap diagonally over the right shoulder (so with the bag on the left side). I wear long-strap 'handbags' the same way. I'm left-handed by the way (or rather mixed-handed).

Jodi
09-23-2013, 05:49 PM
Right handed, left shoulder. If crossbody, it is still on the left side.

Jodi

julia marie
09-23-2013, 05:59 PM
I used to do left side, but switched to right, and it works better. Don't know why

AmyGaleRT
09-24-2013, 02:05 AM
I rarely go cross body like Amy unless I need to make sure the dang thing doesn't slip off

I looked for purses with long shoulder straps just so I could wear them cross-body. It feels easier to keep the purse with me that way. (I found two.)

Also, when I carry a laptop bag as a male, I usually sling it over my right shoulder and carry it on the right. Sometimes I go cross-body on that as well, same way as my purse but with the bag part slung more towards the back, particularly if I have lots of other items like grocery bags to carry at the same time.

- Amy

Amanda_P
09-24-2013, 02:31 AM
I must be backwards. I'm right handed and like my purse on my left shoulder

ReineD
09-24-2013, 03:07 AM
I always wear them with the strap diagonally over the right shoulder (so with the bag on the left side). I wear long-strap 'handbags' the same way. I'm left-handed by the way (or rather mixed-handed).

I agree, when I wear my bag cross-shoulder, it doesn't slip off and it doesn't bang around as much ... so it is easier to use both hands.

Alice Torn
09-24-2013, 03:31 AM
Michael as fun, Interesting you bat left. I used to be right hand bater only, then practiced hitting rocks, and now i am best bating lefthanded by far, but have not played for seven yrs. I watch women in public and see them with bags on either side. Must be switch hitters too! I have tried left and right side.

DonnaT
09-24-2013, 01:20 PM
I've always tried wearing it on my right shoulder (right handed), but it won't cooperate and stay there.

Angel_Star
09-24-2013, 01:29 PM
Right, it just feels right somehow (no pun intended).

Kimberly Kael
09-24-2013, 02:46 PM
Right side, and I'm right handed, though it may depend on the purse. My preferred style are relatively small and hang to about my waist. I find it easier to remove my keys, phone, etc from my purse with my dominant hand if I don't have to reach across my body.

Allesandra Rhodes
09-24-2013, 03:38 PM
I agree with those who like the cross body style. Strap over the right shoulder. Keeps my hands free :heehee:

ArleneRaquel
09-24-2013, 03:40 PM
I'm a right handed gal, but I wear my bag on my left shoulder.

Jilmac
09-24-2013, 09:10 PM
Being a natural southpaw I tend to do everything with my left hand, so hanging the purse on the left shoulder seems the natural thing to do.

NathalieX66
09-24-2013, 09:33 PM
Me, it seems to be right for the most part. My better ear is my left ear, so when I talk on my cell phone, it's always my left ear. My handbag is at my right. OK, you get the picture. That's how I usually go out in public.

Michelle55
09-24-2013, 09:56 PM
I am ambidextrous but left side dominant. I have my purse on my left shoulder most of the time.
It's exactly the same for me.

PattiAllison
09-24-2013, 10:02 PM
Since I am right handed, I usually have mine on my right shoulder.

wanagione
09-25-2013, 06:28 AM
I'm left handed and I wear it on my left shoulder.

dominique
09-25-2013, 08:47 AM
Thanks for your responses. It seems its just down to personal preference and how agile you want to be while carrying it about.