PDA

View Full Version : Bought my first girl items in male mode

Marcelle
09-24-2013, 03:30 AM
Hi all,

Thought I would share a bit of an experience in my personal acceptance and growth. I have been working with make-up for a bit of time now (still not very good at it). My wife has been helping me but as she is not a make-up gal for the most part there are areas which I have been kind of guessing at and watching YouTube (foundation type, colours, etc.).

So the other day, I was in a nearby city and at a store which has a cosmetic area. I decided that "why not ask someone who might know" . . . but how to do that. Do I pretend I am getting something for my wife? It was for Halloween? . . . The both sounded a bit lame.

So I decided to take the example of another gal on this site who purchased make-up in male mode. I took a deep breath and approached on of the SAs and asked her if she could help me. I explained the make-up was for me and the truth as to why I wanted to buy it, I was transgender (I know the label, but I didn't want to get into a label debate with her and wanted to use something that she might understand :) ) She was quite receptive to the idea and very helpful.

Long story short, she helped me find the right foundation for what I wanted to do and a couple of eye shadow colours and lipstick colours (quite bold so I am not sure) :). She even gave me some fragrance samples which she thought would be nice for me.

I have to say, it was a bit weird as other customers were going about their business while I talked eye shadow and lipstick (clearly it was for me from our conversation). However, nobody seemed to take note and if they did, they didn't seem to care or just kept it to themselves.

I have to admit, it was quite fun to just buy stuff I needed. While I was a bit self-conscious, that disappeared in a few minutes. After I made my purchases (make-up is expensive :eek:) I did not run out the door but walked out slowly. After all it was my right to purchase things . . . Right?

Hugs

Isha

Beverley Sims
09-24-2013, 03:38 AM
Isha,
You did what you needed to do quite correctly.
A very good effort on your part.

kimdl93
09-24-2013, 06:55 AM
totally your right to seek advice, try out products and purchase what you want. Obviously, the SA felt the same and was more than happy to accommodate you. One more step taken. Congratulations!

BLUE ORCHID
09-24-2013, 07:16 AM
Hi Isha, It will get easier each time that you do it.

Chari
09-24-2013, 07:28 AM
Good for you Isha! You have gone in a positive direction and made a "friend at the cosmetic counter! Be sure to go back for more help and ideas, as IMO "hands on training" from a professional is best!

vallerie lacy
09-24-2013, 07:29 AM
Congratulations. Sounds to me like you had a great day. Very well done. I hope when you walked away, as she was watching you, you gave her a little wiggle as a thank you.

Lynn Marie
09-24-2013, 08:23 AM
Congratulations dear, not many guys have the cajones to do something like that. Obviously you felt that too, walking out of the store with your head held high.

Rachel Morley
09-24-2013, 08:58 AM
After all it was my right to purchase these things . . . Right?
Oh yeah, you bet it was. Don't let anyone (including yourself) make you feel guilty about doing something that makes you feel happy.

Julie Denier
09-24-2013, 09:03 AM
Well done! Gotta respect your courage ;)

Cynthia Anne
09-24-2013, 10:07 AM
Job well done! As Blue Orchid it gets easier each time! Perhaps it wont be long before you shop in female mode!!!

Secret Drawer
09-24-2013, 10:14 AM
Because of my general lifestyle, with kids and DADT wife, I usually have to shop in male mode. It is always that first few steps that get me, but once I am picking through the racks, all my worries melt away. Its like a lightswitch. Its getting through the door, then it just doesn't matter. Plus you have that soldier thing going on "Its mind over matter... If you don't mind, it don't matter!"

Chickhe
09-24-2013, 10:38 AM
I did that too! You just go in and ask for help. They don't need to know exactly why you need it, just tell them what you want...to hide your beard etc. There are many reasons men go to get foundation...media, stage, cover tattoos, acne, drag... so it is not that unusual.

suzanne
09-24-2013, 10:59 AM
Bravo! Great story. I feel that every story like yours is a victory for us all, because it helps to encourage the next person in her adventures.

Maslow's Mum
09-24-2013, 11:04 AM
Bravo, Isha! When all of girls can do that, I believe the world will be a better place......and maybe Eddie Izzard will the spokesperson for Revlon!

Stacy M.
09-24-2013, 11:07 AM
It is kind of a rush, isn't it? I get a bit of a thrill from it. I guess that will diminish with repetition.

Isha, you're an inspiration. ..you've progressed so quickly and so well.

Marcelle
09-24-2013, 11:26 AM
Hi Everyone,

Thanks very much for your kind replies. It was quite the thrill. It was kind of like ripping a bandage off . . . once it is done, it is done. Can still sting but it subsides.

Well at least I know one friendly cosmetic counter for future purchases.

Hugs

Isha

Kandy Barr
09-24-2013, 11:30 AM
Well done dear, took me a while to take that step so don't feel alone. What a difference its made, no more wasting money guessing, like you said....makeup is expensive.....K

paulaprimo
09-24-2013, 11:35 AM
congrats to you isha. its all about baby steps, which leads to confidence and courage. good job!! :)

Dalva
09-24-2013, 08:24 PM
You give us scaredy pants types in here a little bit of inspiration. Thank you, Isha. I'm close to the first little step towards making it known who I am when I shop and these little excursions I read like yours help boost my courage that extra little bit.

Tracii G
09-24-2013, 08:27 PM
Well done soldier!!!

JamieQ
09-24-2013, 08:37 PM
Oh yes...been there done that...it will get easier...for me it got extremely easy in girl mode...most places are in business to sell...and they really do not care who buys or who its for...

Leah Lynn
09-24-2013, 09:00 PM
My god, girl, you are off and running! So proud of you! BTW, that avatar looks fantastic!

Hugs,

Leah

Sophie Yang
09-24-2013, 09:42 PM
Isha,

Girl, you have such interesting outings.

One of the gals I know has set up numerous classes with some of the make-up artists at Nordstroms. They have class rooms off the main floor. There have been between eight to 12 gals at the classes I have attended, some dressed, some not. Each class covered a specific area of the face and techniques. They usually are conducted around this time of year, near the holiday seasons.

The classes were free, but the expectation was a minimum purchase of product. Meeting the minimum is very easy to do. Even though the classes were on a specific topic, there was always time to cover any topic. After one class, I went back out onto the main floor and spoke with one of the make-up artists from the class. He sat me down in one of the chairs and made me up, handed me a small notebook with pictures of faces where he illustrated the techniques with written instructions on what he had done. Very informative. Of course he makes it look easy with his belt full of brushes.

After that I watched the gal who organized the classes with Nordstroms try on a ton of shoes. The SA knew her on a first name basis. This gal buys a ton of shoes.

Nice story. Nice pics.

Rachael Leigh
09-24-2013, 10:48 PM
Not being one to do the makeup thing that's still pretty cool. I have been finding it eaiser to go try on clothes in the stores a step I never took back in the day I was going all the way dressing. Now I just feel if I want to get the right size than hay must try it on

AmyGaleRT
09-24-2013, 11:03 PM
Good job, Isha! Don't be afraid of the bold colors; give them a try, they could be fun!

Your new avatar picture is looking good, too! Very serene. :)

- Amy

Marcelle
09-25-2013, 05:08 AM
Hi all,

Thanks very much for all your comments to date. I am just glad I was able to do it as it did help with the foundation aspect. The lady did ask me to come back dressed one time so she could see how the make-up went. I guess that is my next step.

Hugs to all

Isha

Jennifer Kelly
09-25-2013, 10:11 AM
I've bought clothes in male mode a few times, and even shoes once. But all my makeup has been purchased online. Props to you for having the courage to do this. One day I will do the same.

Melissa in SE Tn
09-25-2013, 04:16 PM
Isha , you have developed into my hero / heroine. You have developed so well. Your responses to this forum are always supportive , insightful & heart warming. Thank you for being you.