PDA

View Full Version : Time Out

Aly Cat
09-29-2013, 07:12 PM
So last night my friend decided to surprise visit me and tell me I had no choice but to go with her and her friends. Given the such short notice and since she was at my door, I told my wife and out I went. My friend and her friends ended up going to a gay bar in downtown Atl for a drag show and I was along for the ride. In all honesty, I didnt really care for it all that much. The drag show was very....parody-ish to crossdressers and I halfway felt offended by it so I ended up hanging out on the back patio with my friend and just talked and hung out until about 1:30am. Even though I am not homophobic or anything like that, being a straight guy at a gay bar made me feel a little out of place and the one thing that was supposed to make me feel more comfortable ended up mildly offending me so its probably not an adventure id care to repeat. Maybe a lesbian bar would be better? I dont know. I just get along way better with women.
On the plus side, I did see another transgender gal there and she looked great. She looked rather quiet and a bit out of place like myself but I was glad to see her. The whole time I wondered if she was a member of this site. Mystery girl, if you see this let me know! Its nice to know were not alone! Unfortunately I dont remember the name of the place, only that it was in downtown atl. Anyways. I was partially dressed in a womens shirt, my guy jeans, and a pair of flats. I had a decent time but I think next time, ill either opt for a lesbian bar or just a nice time hanging out at a friends house. Anyways, that's my adventure!

Julie Gaum
09-29-2013, 08:02 PM
Your feelings of being offended by for too many outsiders as the stereotypical cross dresser is shared by many of us. There is a place for drag queens in entertainment, certainly, but IMO the casual voyeur hasn't the vaguest idea that there is a whole spectrum of CDs in our community that don't attempt to exaggerate the dress, makeup and movements --- at least not in public. Doesn't matter whether you are closeted or out, wish to fully or partially present --- we all try our damndest to convey an image acceptable to our selves and, maybe, acceptable to the general public, and unless the viewer knows better that stage "actress" doesn't represent who we are. Since you are out to your girlfriends and SO I would suggest that you explain to them why you felt so uncomfortable --- such action would help move our cause in the direction needed.
Julie

Beverley Sims
09-29-2013, 09:21 PM
Julie has the solution here although I tend to grit m teeth a little harder and go with the flow.
Change your friends views ever so gradually is my motto.

kimdl93
09-30-2013, 07:03 AM
I've been to both gay and the few lesbian bars here. My reaction is that people are people and I've had great conversations with individuals of both genders. But I guess it's my age...I'd rather have conversation than entertainment. I found I didn't much enjoy the drag shows, talented though they were. It's just not my style.

Kate Simmons
09-30-2013, 07:21 AM
Just a FYI. Lesbian clubs usually have drag king performers, which is the opposite of drag queens. Not sure if that would offend you or not. I had originally intended to be a DQ but when I found out how it worked decided against it as I couldn't have been myself, even though I love performing. When I do that en femme, it's never "over the top" at all but simply a lot of fun.