PDA

View Full Version : I told my parents that I want to become a woman.

Kathryn Philips
09-30-2013, 01:46 PM
Hi All! Yesterday I had the first opportunity to meet face to face alone with both my parents and I simply told them that for a number of years I had been increasingly unhappy with my biological gender and that I would like to become a woman. I can report that my parents are fully supportive of my wishes. Further more, my mom phoned me today to reiterate their full and unconditional support. I am so happy for, I can now feel that my dream will become true. But, at the same time, it all suddenly feels so much more real and scary.

vallerie lacy
09-30-2013, 01:52 PM
So glad for you. Great to hear of your supportive parents. Hope your transition is as smooth as possible.

kimdl93
09-30-2013, 02:20 PM
That is wonderful, Kathryn. Having that level of parental support is wonderful. So, where do you go from here?

Eryn
09-30-2013, 05:17 PM
That's excellent news, Kathryn! I know that you have other obstacles in your way but having your parent's support is wonderful.

Shelly Preston
09-30-2013, 05:27 PM
Wonderful news Kathryn

It is something that will always be scary but you have to do whats right for you.

I am so glad your going to get their support.

Kathryn Philips
09-30-2013, 05:29 PM
That's excellent news, Kathryn! I know that you have other obstacles in your way but having your parent's support is wonderful.

Thank you Eryn. Yes, indeed the main obstacles still in the way. But with the support of my parents and sister it will make my journey all that easier. A journey that I now know I need to make.

Sarah Beth
09-30-2013, 05:30 PM
I am so happy for you that things with your parents went so well. Onwards and upwards now. Best wishes for you.

Steph_CD_62
09-30-2013, 05:31 PM
Kathryn,

Glad to hear that your parents support you. Having a supportive family is very important.

Leah Lynn
09-30-2013, 05:33 PM
I'm happy for you! Having family support helps so much.

Hugs,
Leah

Marcelle
09-30-2013, 05:34 PM
Hi Kathryn. I love to hear such wonderful stories where the family supports and loves. Beautiful sweetie.

Hugs

Isha

Kathryn Philips
09-30-2013, 05:36 PM
That is wonderful, Kathryn. Having that level of parental support is wonderful. So, where do you go from here?

I reckon I will need to wait at least 18 months before I actually set things in motion. I plan to go full-time and at the moment only envisage HRT to feminise my visible external appearance. Gender affirmation surgery will only be considered if my sexual needs change such that I require to function sexually as a woman.

Leigh Wyndham
09-30-2013, 05:45 PM
Oh Kathryn,

I Think you're gonna do just fine. I don't want to sound like a know-it-all, but, in my opinion, I think the single most important thing when starting transition is learning to vocalize as a woman. It is probably the single most important thing that will thrill you the most, and give you a wonderful euphoria and sense of accomplish and confidence.

It will take probably the most diligence of anything else you'll do during transition to learn to change the way your voice resonates. Men use the diaphragm to push and force the air to flow through the vocal folds and resonate within the chest. Women use much less force to move the air through the VF and the resonance is more in the bony architecture of the sinuses and nose and the teeth help to control the flow of sound. There are a few instructional videos online that work well.

Hope this helps. Congrats and Huggles,

Leigh

stefan37
09-30-2013, 07:08 PM
Find a good gender therapist and start facial hair removal yesterday.

BLUE ORCHID
09-30-2013, 07:22 PM
Hi Kathryn, I wish you all the best in your future journeys ,May your path's be covered with rose petals and sunshine.

Suzanne F
09-30-2013, 07:52 PM
Kathryn
I applaud your courage! Good luck with your journey!
Hugs
Suzanne

TokyoLily
09-30-2013, 08:14 PM
Good to hear! It takes courage to not only face others but to face yourself. Good luck as you start your new journey.

Kelliramerez
09-30-2013, 08:18 PM
You are so brave! I could never do that. I'll be in the closet to my family forever. I have a couple friends who know n it will have to stay that way. But in so happy for you!!!! You go girl : )

Angie G
09-30-2013, 08:27 PM
That's awsome Kathryn. Your mom and dad rock hun. And keep us updated on you progress hun. You go girl.:hugs:
Angie

Beverley Sims
10-01-2013, 01:12 PM
Kathryn,
Now that worry is out of the way, you can settle down, think of the logistics, see therapists who can advise you and get on with life.
I am eager to see how you progress.

Stacy M.
10-01-2013, 03:25 PM
Such wonderful news! I'm excited for you. Please keep us up-to-date as you move forward.