PDA

View Full Version : anybody done this

dominique
10-01-2013, 04:22 AM
I was helping my wife out tidying out the cupboards. There were some items that she put in bags which was going to the local tip. After we had finished I said that I would take them to the tip, but the items were a nice top and skirt. I had the chance to hide them for later. How many of you have this in the past.

Cynthia Anne
10-01-2013, 05:19 AM
One time I got some nice clothes that my sister-in-law had thrown out!

Kate Simmons
10-01-2013, 06:09 AM
Sometimes but usually it was stuff that wouldn't fit her any more, so it definitely didn't fit me. :heehee::)

kimdl93
10-01-2013, 07:27 AM
I have a couple of skirts that my wife could no longer wear because of weight loss. She doesn't like to be reminded of size 14 so I don't wear them around her!

Brianna in Hose
10-01-2013, 08:30 AM
I have done this quiet a bit. My wife has thrown out clothes that when we go to donate them I go through them in the garage first. I have also found clothes in rental houses that I have been cleaning out for my job. This last one I got 6 pairs it thigh highs and a pair of pantyhose all in unopened packages.

melanie206
10-01-2013, 09:39 AM
Years ago, an aunt gave my mother a mink jacket. No one wanted it. Guess who has it now? BTW, I am sensitive to animal rights issues but this thing is very old.

RobynB
10-01-2013, 09:55 AM
Guilty as charged.

Kelliramerez
10-01-2013, 09:59 AM
I have : ).

Meg East
10-01-2013, 10:19 AM
In our house "charity begins at home", I always go through her donations before we go Goodwill.

Alice B
10-01-2013, 11:32 AM
Always, but OK with my wife to do so.

susangirl
10-01-2013, 12:06 PM
Oh yes!!! Sweaters, Bras, Belts. Once she had some really nice expensive dresses from her sister to take to goodwill or the salvation army and I hit the jackpot. Her sister is just about my size.

Beverley Sims
10-01-2013, 12:46 PM
I have had opportunities over the years to get first dibs at wardrobe reorganisation, a greater percentage of the clothing went my way first.

tiffanyjo89
10-01-2013, 01:04 PM
I've done it a couple times. I don't see anything wrong with it. It might be slightly dishonest to say you're taking it to a dumpster/thrift store and then go through them in your garage, but only because of "lying by omission".

In a situation where it's stuff that is being thrown away by someone, they obviously don't want it anymore, so you're merely just taking something unwanted and claiming it as your own. I believe that when someone throws something away, their claim to it is now over.

LeeBe
10-01-2013, 01:11 PM
I have not done that one time! I have done it too many times I can't remember!! LOL

rita63
10-01-2013, 01:16 PM
My EX used to bring home bags of clothes from her customers and after she and her sister went through them and she left for work I would have a look. I still have a few things .

hugs rita

Jaymees22
10-01-2013, 01:21 PM
Of course I do this, I probably bought them in the first place and sub-consciously I wanted to wear them. So now I can and don't have to share. Jaymee

lingerieLiz
10-01-2013, 01:27 PM
Done it! Wife, daughter, mother, neighbors(2), have had clothes they didn't want anymore that I have gladly accepted and taken the rest to donation service. They all have seen me in their former attire.

Chickhe
10-01-2013, 01:34 PM
The way I see it, family should get first dibs on anything you are getting rid of, so it just makes economical sense. The only issue is size and style... most of the times it is nothing I want. I have this philosophy on gifts, that I should never ask what my gift was used for once given...its the thought that counts...if you give it to help someone, it doesn't matter who you are helping and the fact that these clothing donation places are really running a business before helping anyone in need it makes it all that easier to decide if its okay to make use of old clothes.

tiffanyjo89
10-01-2013, 02:11 PM
In the same vein of what Chickie said, I wonder if any people (members of this forum not excluded) have had hand-me-downs from a relative of the opposite sex, like a boy receiving hand-me-down jeans from a female relative.

Tracii G
10-01-2013, 02:28 PM
My second ex gave me some of her jeans.

Valerie1973
10-01-2013, 02:42 PM
Just today my S.O. had bag to send out. Of course I raided them. Found a dress I always wanted. And by golly I have it now.

Dani0948
10-01-2013, 03:05 PM
I always go thru the donation bag before pickup. Only found a couple items as my wife is much smaller than me.

Joanne f
10-01-2013, 03:12 PM
Yes always go through it as you never know what you might find , nine times out of ten it is to small :sad: but when I do find something and wear it about a week later my wife will say " that's mine" and I will say , "It was as you chucked it out " :heehee:

Veronica27
10-01-2013, 03:12 PM
My wife always asks if there is anything I want before throwing any items out or giving them to a charity.

NZ_Dawn
10-01-2013, 03:44 PM
Snap. I get the chance to ensure nothing I would like is given away first. Although if they are going due to size they go, as we are both the same. Just making things go around a little longer!

SometimesJen
10-01-2013, 03:50 PM
I wish my lady and I were closer in size. Fortunately, once or twice a year my church has a clothing swap. It's nice knowing there are always a couple other ladies I can swap with.

AmyGaleRT
10-01-2013, 10:47 PM
I got to go through some bags of clothing my fiancee was planning on donating. I got a couple of dresses and some nice tops that way. She had gotten rid of some of the tops because they were V-necks; that neckline works better on me than it does on her. :)

- Amy

Connie.Marie
10-02-2013, 01:14 AM
Dominique,
Yes, I've done this many, many times..
Sizes make most things unwearable for me but once in a while... JACKPOT!

Stephy
10-02-2013, 03:14 AM
You are all so lucky that you can fit into your SO's clothes! I haven't got a hope of fitting into any of my wife's clothes.

traci_k
10-02-2013, 05:40 AM
Absolutely! If the clothes fit and are cute - Wear 'Em!

Hugs

BLUE ORCHID
10-02-2013, 06:52 AM
Hi Dominique, When my wife makes up a box for Goodwill she knows that it's not all going to make it to GW.

april_lynn
10-02-2013, 03:24 PM
The last time we both were getting rid of clothes my SO asked if I wanted any of her jeans she was getting rid of. The only catch was that I had to thin my girl wardrobe as well. In the end she also asked me if I wanted a dress that was now to big for her. I thought that it might be too small, but it seems that I had lost a little too and it fit perfectly!

Deedee Skyblue
10-02-2013, 06:11 PM
dominque, I suggest you don't let your wife see you wear those. when my wife throws something away, or gives something away, she never wants to see it again, and she would be VERY unhappy to see that I had saved it.

Deedee

Jilmac
10-02-2013, 09:33 PM
I have often "rescued" clothes that were being donated to the local thrift store. There was no sense in giving them away before I had a chance to wear them myself.

NathalieX66
10-02-2013, 09:48 PM
My cousins gave my older sister a bunch of hand-me-down clothes in a large cardboard box, and when my sister or my parents weren't home, I raided that box. I was age 9 then. Now look what happened to me. lol!

CindyCross
10-10-2013, 02:44 PM
My wife got an amazing dress and skirt from her girlfriend. But they werent her size, a bit too big. But her girlfriend she insisted she wouldnt want them back so my wife asked me if I wanted them. Off course. They fit me amazingly well and I wear them a lot.

Audrey_FR
10-10-2013, 07:26 PM
My wife always offer me the opportunity to choose what I want before giving things away. She advise me on what looks good on me. She even share clothes. I love her and I say it everyday.

RachelPortugal
10-11-2013, 03:02 AM
Whenever my wife has a wardrobe clear-out she always offers unwanted items to Rachael. It does upset her though, when she see me in something that fits me, but was to tight for her several years ago. Only last week, as I walked about the garden in a pair of her hand me down cut-off denim shorts she screamed "bitch" at me, in jest of course, but at times I do have to be sensitive about such things, when weight loss is on her mind. At such times I avoid the hand me downs that she outgrew a while ago. Thankfully there is plenty in the wardrobe that was bought for Rachael.

Kiwi Primrose
10-11-2013, 03:43 AM
My wardrobe has a lot of things passed on by my wife.
We have a deal - I don't wear them until she gives them to me but she knows what I covet and is very generous.

linda allen
10-11-2013, 08:47 AM
That's how I got my first bras. Now, my wife offers me anything she doesn't want anymore or that doesn't fit her. I don't have to rummage through the trash.

Lexi Moralas
10-11-2013, 09:13 AM
Done it many times ,