PDA

View Full Version : Isha's First Solo Flight - An experiment in hiding in plain site

Marcelle
10-02-2013, 11:56 AM
Hi all,

For those of you who have read my past posts, you know that my wife has taken a bit of detour on going out with me as she is afraid of what might happen due to some stories she heard. Unfortunately, she is still in that camp but still supportive of Isha exploring the world around her. However, I was a bit reticent because company when you are out and about especially a GG is a great thing.

So what's a girl to do. I really wanted to get out there again after that bad restaurant/bar experience. I am a firm believer of getting back on the horse, although I have been thrown multiple times while learning to ride :). So two days ago my wife and I discussed it and as I had a day off today, I told her that Isha would like to go out and experience some everyday routine en femme. Basically, most of the normal things I do while in male mode.

However prior to typical things, I wanted to experience some aspect of Isha doing something completely en femme so I struck on two things to do (1) Visit the SA who helped me purchase make-up while I was in male mode and buy some new mascara and make-up primer; and (2) Go to Wal-Mart and look around the ladies department, try on a few items (can't buy, my budget for clothes is spent this month :sad:)

Preparation: I was going to get ready early morning after my workout (5AM). I have been using a lot of tips from everyone regarding make-up and beard coverage and I believed this time I nailed it relatively well. I have attached a few photos of the finished make-up for my outing.

Outfit: I wanted to blend so I went with jeans, sandals and blouse. While I don't have padded panties for hips, I figured oh well, there are plenty of slender gals out there and I will just be one of them. I added several pieces of jewelry and a purse to complete. I have attached a picture below of the outfit. My wife suggested a nice perfume to complete the femme look (first time wearing perfume . . . if felt nice and girly :battingeyelashes:)

Sequence of Events: I drove my wife to work (she is okay with the car thing as she feels we can speed away to safety should someone chase us . . . :heehee:). After I dropped my wife off I drove to the a mall complex where I bought the make-up and parked in front of the store.

Now, I sat in the car for about 15 minutes, brushed my hair, added more lipstick, brushed my hair again, stared at my purse, played with the radio, brushed hair again . . . well you get the picture. I figured one of two things could happen, I could chicken out or just do it. So I took a deep breath, got out the car and walked to the store.

Naturally, at that moment a bunch of people (guys and gals) came out of the same store. I just walked by and guess what . . . Nobody chased me with pitch forks. In fact nobody even looked twice at me. So feeling a bit more confident, I walked in and looked for my SA. I approached her and asked if she remember me . . .she did. I asked her for an honest opinion and she said that everything looked good and natural and that the beard was not visible at all (she liked my eye shadow the best) . So knowing that seeing is better for believing one's tales, I asked her to take a picture of me at the store and she did. It is attached below.

I made my purchases and walked through the store, stopping to check a few things out then back to my car. From there I went to Wal-Mart and walked in. Bigger crowd and for the most part nobody gave me any notice. I did bump into a GG who gave me a knowing smile but that was all. So I headed to the ladies department and spent about a half hour looking around, tried on a few blouses. The SA read me immediately (hard not to) but she was very nice and told me that on first glance she would not have known but up close she could tell (not to mention my femme voice is a work in progress).

After Wal-Mart I got my other list of things to do done, had mixed experience in the grocery store with most people not noticing, a few giggles from some young girls, a nice comment or two and one utter look of disgust from an elderly lady. The young female SA at the Pet Store read me immediately but was more interested in the whole CD thing and asked me a few questions while I purchased my items.

The last thing I did was to go into Starbucks and get myself a Pumpkin Spice Latte :). Sure I was read by multiple people but nobody said anything if they did notice.

So now I am back in my house, a little less scared than before of going out alone and very excited by the whole experience. The one thing I did learn in my little solo adventure, if you act like you belong, it is less likely people will notice or even bother to look your way (in my old line of work we call this hiding in plain sight)

Sorry a bit of long story but I just wanted to share this next step in my journey.

Hugs

Isha

Kate Simmons
10-02-2013, 12:04 PM
I'm glad you had a good time Hon. It seems you are becoming more comfortable with your whole self and your feelings. I'm proud of you. Nothing wrong with that at all. In fact, it's quite an accomplishment to which I can only say: "Carry on my friend." :battingeyelashes::)

Rachael Leigh
10-02-2013, 12:08 PM
Very nice story and you know the more I shop in drab for things the more comfotable I am. I just act like I belong. Today for instance I had to ask the SA for sure if the dress I bought was 3.99. Than I went to get the cami and went back to the same SA and made the purchase. Felt great and oh yes I did try on the dress first. Isha you look great by the way I just don't think I could pull that off

vallerie lacy
10-02-2013, 12:23 PM
Congratulations. As they say, the first time is the hardest. The pics are great. The one in front of the door is excellent.

Abigail Flame
10-02-2013, 12:29 PM
I was totally anxious just reading your post! I so want to be able to do this someday. Thanks for sharing and being so brave!

Suzanne F
10-02-2013, 12:58 PM
Isha
You looked great! I am so proud of you. It was great wasn't it? There is nothing better than being out in the world as ourselves. I will be out Friday night and I can't wait. You remind me of me as to how fast you have progressed. Once I came out it just blossomed. I wish you all of the happiness you deserve for your courage!
Hugs
Suzanne

Jaymees22
10-02-2013, 12:59 PM
Dear Isha, Sounds like you had a good time and landed safely. My grocery store trip a while ago seemed similar to yours, I stupidly picked the line with the teenage girls in it but made it out without incident, just some giggles. It looks like you're smiling more and that's a good thing. Hugs Jaymee

ArleneRaquel
10-02-2013, 01:09 PM
Isha,
STOP showing off GF. You are so gorgeous. MUAH !

Beverley Sims
10-02-2013, 01:16 PM
Isha,
When you fall off that bike, you do have to get back on it again.
Having done that just keep on riding although take care.
Look both ways when crossing the street. :)

stacycoral
10-02-2013, 01:33 PM
Girlfriend sounds like a lovely day, I hope your SO will go out with you again, I know you really enjoyed her being out in the world and yes it is nice to have your friend with you, your pictures look great, and I am happy for you, I hope I can get my beard cover working better soon, don't know when I will get another day to fully dress, thanks for making us feel like we are there with you, hugs.

Marcelle
10-02-2013, 01:35 PM
Thanks all for you kind comments.

Interesting side event. I decided to stay dressed when I got home as I wanted to see how long my make-up attempt will keep the beard shadow quiet (7 hours so far so good). So I am dressed just watching some television when a delivery truck arrives. My wife has been expecting a package for some time and it is COD. If I don't take it, I will have to go to the city and pick it up. Not to mention the front door is open, the television is on an my car is in the driveway. It would be just rude and not ladylike to not answer the door.

Oh well in for a penny in for a pound . . . I answered the door "en femme". It was quite and interesting experience as initially, I think the delivery guy just saw femme clothes, long hair, finger nail polish and jewelry and though "girl". However, as he processed the details, you could see confusion cloud his face. :eek: He didn't say anything or get rude, he just acted professionally and conducted his business. I am sure delivery people see all sorts of things. Oh well another added outing.

I have to admit, I am still on a bit of a high but then also on a bit of a down. It takes so long to get ready and we live quite a distance from the closest city that these adventures will be far and few between. Still dressed en femme right now. I can't bring myself to change back but will have to as I belong to a community theatre group and will have to go to rehearsal tonight and I don't think my little group is quite ready for Isha yet.

The funny thing, I am playing the role of one of two guys who pretend to be women so they can inherit a fortune . . . go figure eh?

Hugs

Isha

ArleneRaquel
10-02-2013, 01:42 PM
About five years ago UPS delivery a package and I opened the door enfemme and after I accepted the delivery he said "thank you sir", he sure knows how to get a girl feelings get low very fast. Best Wishes Isha !

Kate Simmons
10-02-2013, 01:54 PM
I know the feeling. It takes me about 30 minutes to "construct" and only about 10 to "de-construct" when it's time to go back to guy land. As far as the beard shadow, I'm more or less "toast" with that after 10-12 hours. It's nice while it lasts though Hon.:battingeyelashes::)

Sara Jessica
10-02-2013, 02:03 PM
Now I love Pumpkin Spice Latte but you totally blew it by not getting a Salted Caramel Mocha. I may never have pumpkin again.

SometimesJen
10-02-2013, 02:21 PM
You look fantastic Isha. Good luck on your next flight.

stephNE
10-02-2013, 02:32 PM
Hi Isha, I am very happy for you! You looked great! Every time you go out it gets easier and easier. Just remember to be aware of your surroundings, and a little careful where you go. Good luck!

Ms. Laura
10-02-2013, 02:32 PM
Oh wow, good for you! That's much better than your bar story, but then alcohol rarely makes things better.

Thanks for sharing your story. I don't know how you girls do it. I just can't handle those "being read" stares. It makes the whole thing unpleasant for me, though maybe with at least some positive interaction that would change.

Good luck and hold on to that wife of yours!

Tracii G
10-02-2013, 03:11 PM
Isha the best thing to do is just keep going out it gets much easier for you and your wife.

Stacy M.
10-02-2013, 04:02 PM
Isha, you're progressing so fast that when I read the title, I at first thought you'd actually gotten on a plane en femme!

Maslow's Mum
10-02-2013, 04:17 PM
I think that's what you call art imitating life, Isha. You look great!

Diversity
10-02-2013, 04:27 PM
Thanks for sharing your story, Isha. You are giving me the courage to take my next steps as well. Much appreciated.
Di

Persephone
10-02-2013, 06:08 PM
:cheer:

You look great!

Congratulations on your day! It looks like you are on your way to becoming a CD/TG Ambassador!

Hugs,
Persephone.

Bree Wagner
10-02-2013, 06:51 PM
...if you act like you belong...

That's a huge thing to get used to and is so very important. The more furtive and nervous you act, the more likely it is you get noticed, so if that's not your goal you nailed it. Just act like you belong.

Note: Typing this took forever. Using one hand because the other is covered in delicious BBQ sauce slows things down. :)

Linda Leigh
10-02-2013, 06:55 PM
So happy for you and your fortitude is great :)

JamieQ
10-02-2013, 07:06 PM
Hi all,

The one thing I did learn in my little solo adventure, if you act like you belong, it is less likely people will notice or even bother to look your way (in my old line of work we call this hiding in plain sight)

Hugs

Isha

You said it perfectly. I did see a very passable early 20's CDer, Transgender or someone in between recently in my small town...an extremely rare occasion for here. She was at a convenience store and the only thing that gave her away was her behaviour which was fidgeting in line and repeatedly looking to see if people were looking at her. It made her really stand out. If she would have waited in line like everyone else I suspect no one would have known...

mariehart
10-02-2013, 07:07 PM
Wow, I really like your story. Actually I'm a real pilot and the first solo is so apt. There is only one first solo and it's a magic moment, absolutely unforgettable. Totally alone with no one to save you.

As a pilot when I'm solo there is never a point when you are so alone. It's a wonderful moment.

AmyGaleRT
10-02-2013, 08:00 PM
Isha, you look good and you did very well! What you call "hiding in plain sight" we call "blending," and you did that very well. Most people will look at you briefly and see what they expect to see...and, as you've seen, even if you get read, it's not the end of the world, most people won't care all that much! Confidence is key, and I think you've exhibited that!

I hope you have many more outings and enjoy becoming a "liberated woman"! :)

- Amy

paulaprimo
10-02-2013, 08:18 PM
isha, very nice pictures. i'm sure you blended in just fine. glad you had a wonderful time :)

BLUE ORCHID
10-02-2013, 08:21 PM
Hi Isha, There's no turning back now , You are out there now.

kimdl93
10-02-2013, 09:49 PM
You definitely have the drill down. Act like you belong there and let people draw their own conclusions.

Chickhe
10-03-2013, 12:06 AM
Great story. What might be impacting your passing ability is body language and facial expression. I have better luck passing if I am very happy...smiling, but if I am the slightest bit nervous, my face shows it. I think I can fake body language (you have to be very subtle,fluid and less slouching). My voice is bad, but I'm practicing. Most of the time, up close I don't pass and the times I know for sure I don't pass is with my natural hair....anyhow, the trick is to just keep doing it until it works.

Marcelle
10-03-2013, 03:33 AM
Hi all. Thanks very much for your kind comments. I am still quite thrilled by yesterday and look forward to my next little adventure. I know I will most likely get read but that is something I will just have to learn to accept if I want to move forward and gain more confidence.

Hugs all

Isha

Jennifer Marie P.
10-03-2013, 07:17 AM
Isha looks like youre getting comfortable with yourself more and more and Im glad.

Alice Torn
10-03-2013, 11:58 AM
I can sure relate to sitting in the car, and driving myself batty, whether to open that door and go! I have had similar outings. You are fortunate that the elderly lady did not give you a verbal blast, or hit you, or report you to the manager!