PDA

View Full Version : Value of time

Jill Devine
10-03-2013, 09:30 AM
I hope that my post will help those of you who are in a relationship with a lukewarm semi-accepting wife.
I've been with my wife for close to 20 yrs now. I came out to her a few months into the relationship. We had lots of fun with it early on but she gradually cooled off over the years as the novelty was replaced by reality.
Never got to a full DADT but she wasn't thrilled by it either.
Well the good news is that time is an amazing healer. Because of time and a lot of open and honest communication things gradually improved again. I guess it helped that I was patient and didn't push too hard.
Slowly but surely the communication over time helped. My love and respect for her helped. Staying best friends helped. Me being mindful of keeping balance helped. Revisiting discussion points over and over and over helped.

Time and patience = success

Today she is very accepting of me. And I remind her daily that I value her in the highest regard. She happens to be a very attractive woman who turns heads wherever she goes. I let her know that she remains the best in the world in my eyes both physically and inside.

The lesson is to never stop communicating. Work hard to become and then remain best friends. Respect her and love her. Often you reap what you sow - it will come back to you.

vallerie lacy
10-03-2013, 09:37 AM
Number one reason for divorce is lack of communication. Well put Jill

kimdl93
10-03-2013, 09:53 AM
Really valuable observations!

Secret Drawer
10-03-2013, 10:45 AM
Sage advice and precisely why I come here... time and patience... Sometimes it is like trying to grab a block of ice that is already sitting on a frozen lake, but eventually I will pick it up!

Beverley Sims
10-04-2013, 12:32 PM
Jill,
TPC is good.
Time, patience and communication.
Just takes time, as you realise.

Tina_gm
10-04-2013, 12:50 PM
I would like to add to this by also being observant to your wife or SO of their current frame of mind. Some days are going to be better than others for them. If say they call you up and are ranting about a horrible day at work, or car problems, family issues, that may not be the best time for discussion or girl time. I know that with my wife, when I discuss it with her, the discussions need to be kept fairly short. by that I mean not hours worth and in minute details of anything. I have learned a verbal cue with her as well. Typically during a discussion, if she pops in with an oh BTW that is unrelated, I know that means she has had enough of the conversation.

Melissa in SE Tn
10-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Thank you ... Words to live by

robindee36
10-04-2013, 02:45 PM
Agree totally that communication is key to any relationship surviving and thriving. Its uplifting to read these stories of acceptance. One can only hope that more of us will have them to tell at some point in our CD lives.

Hugs Jill. Robin