PDA

View Full Version : I feel bad for a postop woman I haven't met.

Marleena
10-03-2013, 09:31 PM
My wife is a nurse and works in the office of a healthcare provider that has a government contract. They provide in home aftercare for patients. Anyways one of the nurses was being sent out to care for an MTF that just had gender reassignment surgery (their wording). The nurse seemed baffled about how to go about caring for her and asked my wife. My wife said just to treat her like any other patient.

The other info was that she had just returned from Montreal 4 days ago and had no support network in place. Her family was supportive but has not contacted her since she returned home. She is 40 and living on welfare in a housing project and has vaginal bleeding.

I once said that being TS can ruin your life and this story is what I meant by it. I sure hope she will be safe there and that her life will improve.:sad:

kimdl93
10-03-2013, 09:35 PM
I sincerely hope that she can find a new and better life too. One can only hope that her family will come to support her as well.

LeaP
10-03-2013, 09:39 PM
One wonders how in gods name someone who lives in a project could ever have afforded to get SRS. In any event, she needs to get on the phone with Brassard. The situation sounds awful, though. I hope it resolves.

Marleena
10-03-2013, 09:44 PM
Lea I'm just going to assume her GRS was government funded. My wife doesn't know anymore about her and of course there are confidentiality issues here.

Angela Campbell
10-03-2013, 09:44 PM
This is sad. These things happen with something most do not understand and don't want to understand. Especially evident in the case of the nurse.

Marleena
10-03-2013, 09:50 PM
Angela, this city is a hellhole, any TG/TS people are in hiding here. In 30 years of nursing my wife has only heard of one other TS person (other than me) in this city. I told my wife that the company needs to educate their workers on the subject.

Angela Campbell
10-03-2013, 09:52 PM
It is really bad that healthcare providers are not trained much at all on the subject. I have two cousins who are doctors and they know absolutely nothing about transexuals. One of them looked up some info trying to help me a while back and all she could find in her massive library was a half page on gender dysphoria. I actually know worlds more then she does.

LeaP
10-03-2013, 09:59 PM
I suppose what Canada needs, Marleena, is a trans hockey player. That would keep the topic in the forefront of public discourse for years and years and years…

Marleena
10-03-2013, 10:02 PM
Lol Lea! Yep that would work. I just picked the wrong city in all of Canada to be trans in..

AllieSF
10-03-2013, 10:06 PM
I visited one of our members from Minnesota after she had her GRS out here in the San Francisco area with Dr. Marcie Bowers. I contacted her before her surgery to ask if she would like a stranger to visit her after and she said yes. My short visit turned into a 4 plus hour moment in which we both really connected as very good acquaintances. I suggest that you ask your wife to ask her friend if her patient would like a visitor (you) and if you could bring her something, like a fashion magazine, quart of her favorite ice cream, or whatever. Your wife's friend will not be breaking any rules if she gets the patient's OK, the patient may really enjoy your company (I believe that because you are a very nice person) and you will feel so good after by knowing and helping a fellow sister in life.

Marleena
10-03-2013, 10:14 PM
Allie that is a really nice thing you did.:) I will try to find a way to approach your idea, and thanks!