PDA

View Full Version : Searching for Answers on 14St.

Paula_56
10-11-2013, 11:07 AM
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3817/10209757896_ca21dda830.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/65733073@N02/10209757896/)
Paula Today (http://www.flickr.com/photos/65733073@N02/10209757896/) by New_Paula_56 (http://www.flickr.com/people/65733073@N02/), on Flickr

Back before the term “transgender” was used, when men who wore dresses were called "faggot" and "pervert," I was a field engineer whose territory covered lower Manhattan.

Isolated, confused, and trans, I would sometimes stop and buy Drag magazine. I would read it hidden away in the back of a New York deli or sometimes take my lunch on a bench near Trinity Church in the shadow of the twin towers. Here in relative anonymity, I would enter into a world where there were others like me.

An advertisement in the back pages of Drag caught my eye and stuck in my mind for weeks, coaxing me to Lee’s Mardi Gras boutique a few blocks way.

''Half of my clients are respectable-looking businessmen,'' Mr. Brewster said in an interview in The Village Voice, ''Very normal, but they know better than to present that side of themselves.''

I was one of those guys in a suit and tie, nodding and shyly going about my business! The neighborhood was in the meat-packing district and here we mean actual meat used in stores and restaurants --- no pun intended this time.

''He wanted people to have to find him. He tried to protect his customer base," said Antoinette Scarpinato, a former employee of Lee’s.

That’s for sure! The outside entrance was not obvious. A steel door with a 4-inch square window and a series of doorbells along the side. A visitor would have to read the list to find the scribbled name “Lee’s Mardi Gras,” then ring the bell.

As you waited there for a response, rugged swarthy men wearing blood-covered overalls lugged hand carts with sides of beef while loading trucks across the street. All the while I remember thinking that they all knew why I was there, and what “I was,” and I just knew that they were laughing and mocking me silently.

The first time, I chickened out and ran before someone answered. Next time, a few months later, I waited and a voice crackled over the intercom and assured me that they would be downstairs soon. I remember the woman who came to greet me was very pretty, but knowing the context of the venue, I was sure she was transgender.

The steel door slammed shut behind us. It was dark and smelled dank and musty. It was that New York City smell and was ironically comforting because it reminded of my grandmother's basement in Greenpoint Brooklyn except this wasn’t Babcia leading me down the hallway. This exotic woman led me to an antiquated closet-sized elevator. The door closed, then it rattled and coughed its way upward.

The whole time I kept stealing glances at her. I was in awe of her as if she were a movie star.

The door opened to stylish boutique. The shop was nicely done up in an urban loft setting with brick walls and the merchandise neatly displayed. She was kind, helpful, and comforting and put me at ease.

This was the first transgender person I ever met and it was the first time I ever told someone that I was also transgender.

Together we picked out a wig. It was my first one, auburn in color and in a 1990’s big hair style. She coached me how to style it and gave me one bit of important advice that I still remember. “Whether you want to be a queen on stage or one of those pretty girls you see on Wall Street, it takes work. They all work very hard to look good.”

I would go back a few times a year, not because I needed to buy anything, but because of the acceptance I felt while being there. Lee’s was an oasis for me back then.

Over the next few years, I met Lee on several occasions at the store and also at his bookstore near the Port Authority Bus Terminal. He understood the conundrum we married men in suits and ties struggled with and kindly offered support and guidance.

Today I’ve reached a point of self-acceptance and don’t really care what swarthy meat packers or store clerks think.

It’s astonishing to realize that a few short years ago transgender people needed to shop in clandestine boutiques and that support groups operated with cloak and dagger secrecy. Thanks to the support of Lee and others pioneers, today I go out and shop in mainstream stores and hold my head high. Now we are seeing cities and states passing transgender protection laws, the EOC has ruled that transgender people are protected, major corporations include transgender people in their diversity statements.

Among the corporations that expanded their medical insurance for transgender people are Apple, Chevron, General Mills, Dow Chemical, American Airlines, Kellogg, Sprint, Levi Strauss, Eli Lilly, Best Buy, Nordstrom, Volkswagen (US division), Whirlpool, Xerox, Raytheon, and Office Depot.

The struggle for transgender rights is far from over. I urge us all to remember that each and every one of us is a role model, advocate, and educator. You don’t need to be highly visible or carry a sign in the Pride parade. We must be thankful for people like Lee Brewster, but you can do something as simple as supporting a girlfriend with a kind e-mail or standing up against a bigoted transgender remark at work.

Slowly, but surely attitudes will change and people will be educated, then hopefully others will no longer need to feel the isolation, guilt, shame, and struggle as many of us did searching for answers in Drag magazine or in a loft on 14th Street.

Marcelle
10-11-2013, 11:16 AM
Hi Paula. Very nice thread. I hope someday to be a little more open with who I am to the world around me. I have done a couple of quick walks through crowded areas and survived . . . a few sideways glances (not a pretty gal) but no pitchforks.

I think you are right people are becoming for accepting but still, there will always be those who don't agree and are willing to tell you.

Hugs

Isha

Suzanne F
10-11-2013, 11:22 AM
Paula
Thank you so much for this post. I am very grateful women like you have proceeded me. I am doing my best to be proud and confident as I interact with the world as a transgendered person more and more. I have come out to many friends and family. I go out regularly as Suzanne with my head held high and try to be as pleasant as possible with the people I encounter. I want them to see me as a happy, competent person. I want to do my part to let people know that there are many of us out in the world and we lead good, productive lives! I am so grateful to be able to be me!
Suzanne

Beverley Sims
10-11-2013, 11:29 AM
Paula,
A great insight into early intolerance and howit as advanced over the years, albeit slowly.

Kate Simmons
10-11-2013, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the accounting Paula. Yep, things were few and far between in the old days and we had to more or less seek out TG friendly places on our own. Of course there was Michael Salem's mail order business and the AMF (alliance for male feminists) in New Jersey who published a FI (female impersonator) news letter. I would have been lost for wigs if not for Franklin Fashions mail order and Hanover House for dresses, etc..We persevered in any case and here we are. The "kids" today don't really know how easy they have it finding anything at the click of a mouse.:battingeyelashes::)

NathalieX66
10-11-2013, 03:59 PM
Paula, 'Have you ever heard of Edelweiss boutique? That was one of those boutiques you mentioned that was on the back pages of the Village Voice back in the '80's . I can remember feeling rediculously embarrassed and ashamed picking up a copy of Transformations magazine in the X rated section at Hudson News on Broadway by 4th st. in Manhattan, not far from where Tower records used to be.

Now I just take New Jersey Transit into New York City, and no one blinks an eye, and I get treated great just the same when I'm dressed as female and wearing a dress. The only thing that bugs me about New York city & Manhattan is the place is just way too fashion conscious for the average person. You really have to keep on your game.

AndreaCalifCD
10-11-2013, 04:47 PM
Wow! Reading this brought memories/thoughts/feelings flooding back! But not only to look back, but so many things to ponder moving forward. Thank you for such a wonderful read

Darla
10-11-2013, 05:11 PM
Thank you so much for that detailed and absolutely visceral description of Lees! It was the first place I publicly acknowledged that I was indeed a crossdresser - and that it was accepted by some circles.

I too rode that rickety elevator, totally in drab and scared witless. Wearing a long trenchcoat and sure hat my presence there could be construed as an exploration, rather than a confirmation of what I know to be my true nature. I was young and as I rode up with a decidedly feminine male, I also passed by someone who might have been my age as I am now. 40's, with less hair than one would care to admit. But I remember this one customer as he gave me a knowing glance - we were the same - we were part of a great sisterhood that knew valuable secrets.

The othe customer - a drag performer with masculine bearing but beautifully arched eyebrows eyed my presence suspiciously. I toured the racks of gowns and all manner of shoes and articles not meant for my sex, but destined for me. For all the men who walked through that door. This was the place that let you be you. I had never experienced it before.

I perfunctorily bought a pair of tights- just because it was expected that I should buy something for all the pains that it took the staff to get me there. I played it off - not having the self awareness to know that those dresses were what I really desired, those shoes, those wigs, those forms. How I wish somebody asked me if I wanted the starter package rather than a token guesture. If I could communicate with my past self I would have whispered "do the thing you fear the most, but want the most. Just do it, you will NOT be this age every again after this day".

I wish that I became a regular. I wish I took the chance and plunged headlong into that world where I could be me - and tour the clubs and expend all my youth on being me. And here I am with this beautiful memory that I haven't shared with anyone to this day until now.

Sorry for the drama.

This really made an impression - it marked a milestone I couldn't place a value on till now.

Thanks Paula.

Darla

S. Lisa Smith
10-11-2013, 07:28 PM
Paula, I always enjoy your postings here and on Femulate!!! You look wonderful!!!

Tracii G
10-11-2013, 07:36 PM
Great post Paula thank you.

kimdl93
10-12-2013, 08:13 AM
That's a remarkable history, based I personal experience and still relevant to all of us. When I was at that stage, in western Minnesota, there were no boutiques or news stands. No wonder it took so long to find my way!

LPark
10-12-2013, 08:38 AM
I remember Lee's. Not being a New Yorker I had trouble finding the place. There was another one I found where you got a catalog from an apartment building doorman. Nice we have Janet's Closet here in the Detroit area.

EllenJo
10-12-2013, 09:56 AM
Paula, thank you for the stirring account from back in the day. I am 60 years old and have lived in the rural midwest all my life and it was not until the internet came along that I found out that I was not alone. I do remember finding a magazine in a book store that pictures of beautiful women that were really men and thinking Wow, where on earth is this accepted. From your post I realize that even in the anonimity of a large urban city acceptance is a more recent phenonomana. When I was young I often dreamed of moving to a city where no one knew me and having an apartment with only female clothes in the closet. Instead I lived in the closet for most of my life and still only dress at home and thank God everyday for my accepting wife.

Please keep posting like this, you are an inspiration to us all. All of you younger CD's and trans women, enjoy what freedom you have and live the life you dream.
Hugs
Ellen Jo

Sheila11
10-12-2013, 11:04 AM
"I would go back a few times a year, not because I needed to buy anything, but because of the acceptance I felt while being there. Lee’s was an oasis for me back then."

Thank you for the story. When I read these two lines, I actually understood why there are some stores today that I "need" to go to whenever I can. Acceptance is a powerful drug. Kind SA's have made me feel normal and accepted. I do not have the opportunity to enjoy that anywhere else.

michelleddg
10-12-2013, 11:18 AM
Wow, haven't thought about my Mardi Gras Boutique experiences in a while, but they are just like these. Lee ran a tiny ad in a Morris County NJ rag so as a 23 year old in 1978 I screwed up all my courage and made the trek. Heck, I was mortified to even get mail from him even though it was all in plain envelopes and I lived alone! I still have (and use) my first ever gaff I purchased from that trip. I bought my first wig ever from Lee. He fitted me in a Lilyette pushup bra and carefully stuffed it. I told him I didn't see anything. He turned me to the side and OH MY GOD I had boobs! He had a painting of Jimmy Carter dolled up on the wall I found hilarious and can still vividly picture. I asked him if I was going to get beat up when I left the store, and he assured me that wouldn't happen. Made several more trips over the years, each a little bit easier than the last. My last trip in the mid 90's I bought really high pointy toe black suede stilettos. They're a bit hard to walk in but I still have 'em and love 'em.

Thank you, Lee, thinking of you today...Hugs, Michelle