PDA

View Full Version : What a great day

Rachel Smith
10-11-2013, 08:04 PM
Moving at the speed of light
So much has happened this week I don't know if I can post it all.

On Thurs. Oct. 10 @ 9:00AM we had the meeting and my life was forever changed. It went terrific. They ask me when I was ready to come to work as Rachel. I said as soon as I know the others at the office are comfortable with it. The reply was are you available for a meeting there tomorrow. I was not ready for that but with little hesitation I said, yes as a matter of fact I am working there tomorrow. So the meeting was scheduled for Oct. 11 @ 7:30AM. I started a 7:00 and somewhat nervously watched the clock as the bewitching hour approached. All were present by 7:05. 7:30 came and went and no meeting was called. The 10 minutes from 7:30 to 7:40 seemed to last an eternity but then I heard the magic words from BB, the OIC at our office, I approached the group with some trepidation and great deal of excitement. All BB said was: we are here today to tell y'all that Randy will now be know as Rachel and he, sorry she, would like your support as she will now be dressing so her outside matches how he, oops she, sorry Rachel, feels on the inside. I am sure that knowing this office as the friendly place that it is there will be no ill will or prejudice towards him ( she didn't correct herself and I didn't care one iota) . The feeling of freedom I felt was like being swallowed by a giant Humpback whale, it was dangerous getting in past his teeth yet once inside those same teeth were protecting me. Finally free I thought, finally free. My thoughts then turned to my best friend Michelle and all the help and support both her and Rick have given to me. Then BB ask if I would like to add anything. I simply said, if any of you have any questions now or later please feel free to ask me anything, I am OK with who I am and will answer them honestly. Then Angie, the carrier I normally fill in for, ask me if I would be bothered if at first the Rachel's and Randy's, he's and shes got mixed up would I be offended. I said, not at all. I am not that hung up on that and that I only wished that they would treat me the same, that is what is important to me. I told them when they see me tomorrow it will be easier as they will see Rachel now.

That was pretty much that and we all went back to work and proceeded with the business of delivering the mail. I just love the people here in VA. Rednecks as they are known, they are not, at least not it the sense that it is most often meant. They are very excepting and understanding folk. I get the feeling that as long as you are not hurting anyone and that you are truly happy roll on with your life. Personally I wish the world was full of Rednecks from VA. Even Glen the one person I was most concerned about not taking this well at all tried his best. He, Roger, the union rep., and I all went out for a smoke and Glen called me Rachel all during our conversation. Turned out he is a very sweet man without a prejudice bone in his body.

So tomorrow is the first day of my new life as Rachel. I will enjoy every minute of the day tomorrow all 1440 of them. I am sure I will be somewhat nervous when I walk into the office tomorrow but I am also sure that they will all help me to be comfortable in no time.

So with the business of coming clean at work behind me it is now on to all the paper work things. First order of business, legal name change and new birth cert.( I am concerned about how my parents will receive this part) , new PO ID card, then a new drivers license with an "F" on it, bank account changes and the list goes on and on.

With Michelles love and support I will be OK. She is one terrific lady.

Hugs to everyone
Rachel

P.S. There is more to come

Lady Catherine
10-11-2013, 08:19 PM
I love hearing stories of acceptance like this. I am so happy for you. Peace.

Anne Elizabeth
10-11-2013, 09:21 PM
What a life! Great for you I hope it continues to go well!!

Robin Lee
10-11-2013, 10:06 PM
Rachel
Now you can enjoy your life as it was meant to be! When I came out at work the next day was almost a let down because it just became work as usual for most of the crew.

Best Wishes, Robin Lee

Sandra
10-12-2013, 03:51 AM
Good to hear it all went well :)

Angela Campbell
10-12-2013, 04:49 AM
Wow how nice to hear of a good outcome. I can only hope mine goes as well.

wanagione
10-12-2013, 06:42 AM
I am so very happy for you Rachel! I wish you all the best and the continuing support of your coworkers, and everyone else for that matter!

Angela Campbell
10-12-2013, 06:47 AM
Moving at the speed of light

P.S. There is more to come

Reminds me of the old song

Just a song before I go
To whom it may concern
traveling twice the speed of sound
it's easy to get burned

kimdl93
10-12-2013, 06:58 AM
Congratulations, Rachel! That was a wonderful start to your new, real life!

MarcyRex
10-12-2013, 09:07 AM
WOW! So much has changed and very happy for your support and outreach.

Rachel Smith
10-13-2013, 05:29 AM
Michelle said she had the whole day planned for us but wouldn't tell me any of it.

After the business of the PO I went back home to meet Michelle and we were off to who knows where. First we went to a little country collectibles store to see if they had stocked any new things we might like. Nope not this time. Then we went to a clothing outlet. I window shopped and Michelle got a new top. She then took me to have my brows waxed. I usually go once a month or so but Michelle said I should look my very best for work tomorrow.

A little background here. I have wanted a tramp stamp for as long as there have been tramp stamps. Michelle and I have talked about it quite often but I never had the funds. We had picked out a design and even talked to the tattooist about it.

After we left the salon Michelle drove to the tattoo parlor . I finally got my tramp stamp from my dear friend Michelle for my b-day. It is two butterflies and a vine. I love it. It is beautiful. I also got a little purple bow with the words "Forever Michelle's" in the ribbon part on my left hip and it is just so cute.

I have one other tattoo, a butterfly on my lower abdomen and it didn't hurt all that much so I figured this is no biggie. WRONG! When they tattoo on your spine it hurts like all get out. It took about an hour and half to get them done.

Then we went to pick up Rick and go to dinner at a place called the Old Homestead near Salem, VA. If you are ever in the area do yourself a favor and go eat there. It is an all you can eat family style place. For $14.95/person you will not be disappointed. Everything is made on the premises. I did not put one thing in my mouth without having the reaction of "gee I would like more of that". Even the gravy was good. We had chicken, roast beef, mashed potatoes, pinto beans, green beans, coleslaw, baked apples, fresh baked rolls and blackberry cobbler.

We came home after dinner and I got to watch my Chicago Bears beat the NY football Giants.

I have gone to work with my nails painted for the last year but it was always a pinkish color that wasn't that noticable. For tomorrow it is Sally Hansen insta dry "vigorously violet" one of my favorite colors. No more painting my nails for a day on the weekend and having to remove it the next for work. YIPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I hope everyone has a Michelle in their lives.

Hugs
Rachel

Michelle made number 58 a b-day to remember.

Rachel Smith
10-13-2013, 05:30 AM
This will be short as nothing really happened. I went to work and was just a tiny bit nervous. Nobody treated me any differently then normal which is all I had ask for.

I just felt free. Like I belonged there and that is a foreign feeling to me as Randy always felt out of place no matter where he was or what he was doing. My brain wasn't so busy thinking all kinds of things, just relaxed and focused on the job at hand. I worked 11 hours but all in all it was a great day.

Thanks to all that read my ramblings. I hope there is something here that helps someone else.

Love
Rachel

Angela Campbell
10-13-2013, 05:33 AM
I'm right behind you girl! soon.......

Ann Louise
10-13-2013, 06:37 AM
You are free hun. So much to learn, so much to do now! Congratulations, Ann

Robbin_Sinclair
10-13-2013, 07:19 AM
I have no idea what kind of workplace would be so tolerant but, with a union representative, it must be a serious enterprise. You have opened the door for yourself and so many others. You must feel proud. Bless you and three cheers for Michelle.