PDA

View Full Version : Coming out to a 4 year old.

I Am Paula
10-12-2013, 05:50 AM
My niece's very bright 4 year old son has never met 'Me'. We always thought the day would come, but not yet. Yesterday she texted me to say there was no point getting my guy mode on for his sake, he was old enough to understand. This being Canadian Thanksgiving, and it was her turn to host, I should just come as the real me.
This took some thought. The little guy has known me all his life as male. She promised she would prep him. This is the txt I got this morning, verbatim ( I added some punctuation, as texts seem to always run on and on.). I wish I was as good at explaining myself. Please note: My real name is Paula. I have no more secrets, so Celeste can be put to bed.

"Had a chat with Oliver tonite. I asked him to close his eyes and think deep down, and think if his body said he was a girl, or a boy. He said 'boy' and I said there are some people out there who even though they were born a boy, and look like a boy, inside they feel like a girl. He said 'ok...so they look like a boy but they like dolls and pink?' I said 'Yes', and then I explained Uncle Paul is one of those special people who were born a boy, but are really a girl inside. So we discussed how hard this would be for someone and how scary it would be, and how lucky we are that now we can fix that, and Uncle Paul can be happy now as Aunt Paula. Then I said 'Does that make sense?' and he said 'Yes, but when I'm old like Paula I will still be a boy" and I laughed and told him that would be just fine. (No offence, to him the 20 year old babysitter is old). I said if he has any questions he can ask me or Paula and he said he was cool...and then he worried he might forget to say Paula, and say Paul instead, and I told him that's normal and OK. So, done and done. The kid is cool as a cucumber."

My niece is so totally cool, and I see the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. I thought the way she explained things to Oliver was spot on. My whole family now knows, and I'm free to be me around any of them. It has been a week of very positive steps. If you don't read my other posts, I am now gainfully (part time) employed as a woman.

To all Canadians- happy turkey day!

Di
10-12-2013, 06:15 AM
Your niece IS so totally cool :thumbsup::thumbsup:
Perfect way to explain.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving:hugs:

Marleena
10-12-2013, 06:19 AM
That is such a heartwarming story! Thanks for sharing and happy turkey day.:)

Angela Campbell
10-12-2013, 06:42 AM
I guess small children have not been influenced by the irrational biases that are learned by others around us. That is a good thing. It is nice to hear of such good news.

I Am Paula
10-12-2013, 06:45 AM
Maybe not usually as early as four, but just about every kid now knows somebody with gender/sexuality differences.

kimdl93
10-12-2013, 07:03 AM
You've got a great family, something to really be thankful for, this and every year!

Jorja
10-12-2013, 10:40 AM
Well I am glad Mom had a talk with him and started the process. Now it is up to you. Treat him and love him as always and respond wether it be Paul or Paula. Things will be fine.

Barbara Ella
10-12-2013, 12:45 PM
Reading this at a low point and it made me feel so much better about people. It is so amazing how intelligent these young children are now a days, compared to when i was 4 (that would have been 1950). Been down worrying about what this would do to my grandson (almost 4) if he were to learn, and I thank you so much for sharing.

Happy Turkey Day Paula,

Barbara

thechic
10-12-2013, 11:08 PM
Young kids are the Best, often they haven't yet been corrupted by sociality , treat him like your always treated him.

Ceri Anne
10-12-2013, 11:22 PM
That is a very wise and cool way of explaining to a child. Your niece has to be congratulated. As adults, we so often underestimate children. They are often so understanding and accepting. Innocence is a good thing.

Chickhe
10-13-2013, 12:49 AM
Kids at that age are smarter than we think, but at the same time they only know what they know...if you know what I mean. I found it interesting that the kid was concerned about what happens when he gets older... Kids are great at that age because they only care about having fun. Doesn't matter how different anyone is as long as they are fun to be with.

kimberly ann487
10-13-2013, 12:50 AM
If everyone was as accepting as your neice, the world would be a better place .

Rhonda Darling
10-13-2013, 09:06 AM
You have so much to be thankful for. Happy Thanksgiving!

Best,

Rhonda

Sandra
10-13-2013, 09:25 AM
What a lovely chat :) I'm sure that everything will be ok...now wait for the questions lol

Princess Chantal
10-13-2013, 10:20 AM
That is so awesome!
A Winnipeg ts acquaintance wrote a book called "Fluffy was Muffy". She wrote it to engage young children in to the tg world by showing how a beloved pet, Fluffy, is not comfortable with the way she was born, and that in order to be truly happy, she must change into Muffy, the type of pet she was meant to be.
I believe that the book is becoming quite successful and could be found on Amazon, other online book sites and at book stores