PDA

View Full Version : Well, here goes.

kathtx
10-12-2013, 04:56 PM
I took my first steps towards transition years ago, but health concerns put things on hold. With my wife healthy again for a few years now, kids growing and healthy, I'm getting back on track. This summer and fall I've been taking those first steps towards transitioning. I came out to my parents and sister over the summer, and they've been very supportive. Starting electrolysis next week.

The next big hurdle will be talking to my in-laws. My wife's parents are good people, but are very conservative and have always made it hard for my wife to talk with them about herself. They live far away so there's never been a pressing need for my wife to come out to them about her being gay and me being trans. Now that I'm moving forward again the time has come. My wife is planning to visit her mom in a few weeks and will do it then. It's going to be a hard time for my wife.

At work, I'm up for tenure at the university this year. I have a strong case and it should go well. I'm waiting for that to be finalized before coming out at work (other than to those several colleagues who are also good friends).

Thanks for listening as I describe these first steps on this journey. And thanks to everyone here who's talked about their transitions, whether just starting or done for years. It helps to hear from those who have been down this path before me.

Katharine

Amy A
10-12-2013, 06:28 PM
Good luck with everything! You and your wife at least have each other, but I'd imagine that if your wife's parents are good people then after the initial shock, they'll hopefully soon be on board. :)

thechic
10-12-2013, 11:01 PM
Good luck and All the Best.

kimdl93
10-13-2013, 07:26 AM
Good luck with everything !

Ariamythe
10-13-2013, 07:59 AM
To quote an old favorite ... "Round Two -- Fight!" Hope this time things go better and the health issues aren't an issue.

Ashley D.
10-13-2013, 08:47 PM
My thoughts will be with you.
Coming out was the hardest part of my transition.

Julie Gaum
10-13-2013, 09:14 PM
When first reading your post I was struck by your ability to properly prioritize your agenda, i.e., allowing your wife's health, family - old enough now to understand
and your academic position to become solidified --- great and unusual resolve and self-control. Once I read that you were on a university faculty I realized that you are an outstanding person and kudos should be openly given to such a person.
You certainly have my admiration. Do not now nor will ever go down your chosen path so cannot offer advise; however there is no doubt, your future will/must be bright.
Julie

kathtx
10-14-2013, 04:42 PM
Thanks for the well-wishes!

The first electro session was about what I expected. Not too painful, but she didn't work around the lips yet. One down, a hundred or two to go. I'll be doing about two a week.

Angela Campbell
10-14-2013, 04:53 PM
Yes make good friends with your electrologist you will be spending a lot of time together. I am up to 79 hrs as of yesterday!

Barbara Ella
10-14-2013, 05:42 PM
Katharine, I applaud your approach, and know you will be rewarded for making sure everything is right with others before restarting your transition.

Best of luck with your tenure, and yes, let it happen first. Having been through the battles on both sides during my career, the higher level committees are just looking for anything....anything at all...that they can hang their hat on to deny tenure.

Stay strong and take care of yourself dear.

Barbara

kelliehusker
10-16-2013, 07:42 AM
Congrats on your big steps. Keep going and it will be a glorious ride!!!