PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a Woman's Purse as a Man's Bag?

KateSpade83
10-13-2013, 09:55 PM
I've seen two guys do this but they were clearly gay so they didn't mind people reactions. If I need a bag I use my backpack or reusable WHOLE FOODS shopping bag and a bag.

If you've done this what were people reactions?

I have a very beautiful counterfeit Chanel and Prada purses to go around in too. Got them from Greenhills Mall Manila, well known for counterfeit stuff. Got me 5 $10 Vans slip ons there too.

Eryn
10-13-2013, 10:19 PM
I use a Timbuk2 "Click" purse for my male-mode bag. It was marketed as "a super fabulous and functional purse for the active women on-the-go."

Unfortunately, they no longer sell this style, but they do have several nice bags that will work well in either mode.

Rachel Morley
10-13-2013, 10:38 PM
If I need a bag I use my backpack or reusable WHOLE FOODS shopping bag.Me too! I use either a green Whole Foods shopping bag (http://blogs.trb.com/features/consumer/shopping/blog/greenbag.JPG) or a purple Barefoot Wine shopping bag (http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mAuypAjyRsgEFgScOZwu78Q.jpg) that I hook over my shoulder like a purse :)

paulaloha
10-14-2013, 12:05 AM
I use an REI womens purse similar to the Timbuk2 bag Eryn showed, except mine is green and has zippers instead of a flap hanging over the front. I love it and have never had anyone comment negatively on it.

bridget thronton
10-14-2013, 01:53 AM
I use purse regardless of how I am presenting

Beverley Sims
10-14-2013, 02:36 AM
I have a long strap shoulder bag that I use as a camera bag, it is sift and flexible and I can carry a ton of stuff in it.

The only thing I have counterfeit is me. :)

Secret Drawer
10-14-2013, 07:07 AM
I have had what my wife refers to as my "man purse" for some 20 years. I started with a bike messanger bag and have slowly moved towards more unisex to somewhat femme colored messanger style bags. By far my favorite is from LL Bean, for the quality and style. It is funny how when dressed en femme it fits fine, and when dressed drab it fits as well!?
Warning: Once you get used to not having a wallet in your back pocket, you will never go back!... Of course it is the same for underwear as well... Geez, I wonder what will happen with my male jeans?

linda allen
10-14-2013, 07:17 AM
No, not me. Years ago I worked with a guy who thought he was the king of fashion. He had what he called a "pantless pocket" (a man's purse to the rest of us). We kidded him about it all the time.

One day four of us went to a local restaurant for lunch. Two women, this guy and me. After lunch, we paid and left and were walking to the car when a waitress opened the door and shouted "Your purse, you forgot your purse!" Yep, it was his "pantless pocket". We never let him hear the end of that.

Allison Quinn
10-14-2013, 08:13 AM
I have just a simple over the shoulder purse o3o
it's a lot easier to carry things in since my pockets are uncomfortable to fill :P
It's a lot less awkward to fumble through too.

pantihoze
10-14-2013, 12:04 PM
Last week I was joking with my wife that I needed a man purse because my back was hurting. I wouldn't want to carry something too feminine in male mode, but then again, I have had my wife's purse over my shoulder while shopping with her on several occasions.

M

nethiker55
10-14-2013, 12:57 PM
I used to carry a camera bag but recently I switched to a messenger bag I got off EBAY. It is tan with brown piping and lots of pockets. Works great and I can use it in either mode.

Edyta_C
10-14-2013, 01:45 PM
About fifteen years ago, I had a pain in my thigh. I asked the doctor about this pain and he said try sitting without your wallet. The pain went away! So I started carrying a purse from Clarks. Very nice leather purse with my man wallet. I have four shoulder strap purses now. Tan, brown, black, and very dark blue. I use them all the time in guy or girl mode. I now use two different girls wallets, one in brown and one in black. Much more organized now in the wallet and the purse. A lady that I worked with some time ago asked if I liked carrying a purse. Yes! Only one or two guys asked about it. I am a diabetic type II and carry my meter and sharps disposal canister in there. Never anymore questions!

Edy

Cynthia99
10-14-2013, 01:54 PM
Yes, I often carry one of the maxpedition bags - which have places for a bottle of water, sunglasses - and an internal compartment for whatever. Sometimes I carry a 'Healthy back bag' which is a very similar design - and when I am feeling especially venturesome I carry a regular black leather 'Ladie's purse'. I don't know why men don't usually carry bags = they are very useful. What I would really like to carry, I think - is a clutch. And am thinking of getting a matched purse/wallet and seeing if anyone says anything. This would give me room to carry things - and its really very pretty besides.

Joanne f
10-14-2013, 03:21 PM
I use a Troop should bag or a brown satchel style shoulder bag all the time , I have never had anyone make a comment about them and when I am out with my wife I usually end up carrying her big handbag , I don't like handbags so I try to carry it on one shoulder :sad:

wanagione
10-14-2013, 03:25 PM
I have on like the picture. i love it and i use it a lot.

Bobbi McCarthy
10-14-2013, 04:29 PM
I love purses and have acquired many - Dooney and Burke, and Coach are two brands that I cherish the most and have several of each in differing colors and styles. But, without a question, the purse that I carry in male mode most of all is an Ellington kidskin crossbody purse that is so well made and so androgenous that it goes everywhere with me. As it would happen Ellington is having a sale now and is featuring a variation of my beloved carryall.

http://www.ellingtonhandbags.com/Home_2/Charlie-Messenger-Brown

The Charlie Messenger features Vintage Italian Leather, a lightweight leather with a beautiful broken-in look. You can carry books, a laptop, and other essentials required for your active day!

Antique brass hardware, Dyed-to-match cotton cross-body strap, Metal feet on bottom of bag, Exterior zipper pocket (back), Flap with magnetic closure and an Interior that has three slip pockets, a zip pocket and a key clip

This purse is perfect for me in either male or female mode! And at $129.50 it is a bargain given its style and quality. I love to add a colorful scarf to the handle just to underline it very femme utility. Hope this helps, sisters.

AnitaH
10-14-2013, 07:58 PM
I carry a black woman's purse called a multisac at ALL times in either mode. That is unless one of my other purses match my outfit better. I have never had someone make a comment. As secret drawer says I will never go back to using pockets again.

FeliciaCDSNJ
10-14-2013, 08:01 PM
I never carried a purse, even while dressed, until I found a messenger bag in olive green that I liked. It works for both girl and boy modes. I got some flack from family but that won't stop me from carrying it around now that I no longer have to carry everything in my pockets. I even bought a cute womens wallet to go with it, which replaced my old wallet.