PDA

View Full Version : Business trip, birthday, and disappointing shopping

TokyoLily
10-15-2013, 07:30 PM
Hi all,

First, thanks for the bday messages! I was gone on my business trip during my bday so I wasn't really online (but now I'm back!).

I was in Europe and looking to do some shopping. Considering where I was, I was sure I would find some shoes in my size (Japan isn't too accommodating in that respect). To my surprise, I found almost nothing! There were a few shoes size 42 and 43 (European sizes), but (a) they were expensive and (b) they were not my style. Dang it! And nearly the same can be said for the clothing. I thought for sure I would find *something*....

Anyway, Veronica is going out next next weekend in her old clothes, and there are two more business trips coming up in the next six months or so, so let's see if they turn out better, shopping-wise.

reb.femme
10-15-2013, 08:14 PM
Hi Veronica,

Whereabouts in Europe did you go? If I can ask here?

I think the prices in Europe are expensive for just about anything these days. Food prices in Bruges (a favourite for me and Mrs W) were astronomical a couple of years back.

Still, at least you have a pocket full of cash to give to a grateful home economy and for styles you want :heehee:.

Rebecca

gautier_nikolai
10-15-2013, 08:15 PM
Hey Veronica.Happy belated birthday!

Hope you had some fun in Europe anyways, despite the bad shopping!Whereabouts did you visit?You should have visited London.We have something for pretty much every budget here!

Japan can be kinda expensive shopping-wise, South Korea is much cheaper.But i totally get the sizing issue even when buying mens' stuff in most Asian countries.Can you get cheap, custom-made stuff at induvidual tailoring stores in Japan too like in China and South Korea?

Hope you have more luck on your next trips!

TokyoLily
10-15-2013, 08:59 PM
I was in Germany. Yes, I had a very good time (though it was business and it rained most of the time I was there). The shoes that I found in the "fun" areas of town were in the 200 euro range. Very hard to justify getting, even as souvenirs!

I'm not sure about the tailor stores in Japan, but just haven't looked around. I have clothes that work, so no hurry on adding to the wardrobe. ;)

Beverley Sims
10-15-2013, 11:13 PM
Shopping in Europe is very different, prices are higher, quality is generally better than the US or Asia and that is reflected in the cost.
Styles are less flamboyant and have a Parisian or more conservative influence.
I find styles quite drab and prefer the UK for shopping.
I have bought some boots, smart slacks and a skirt in Europe and the quality is what stands out
The US and Japan have similar marketing and outlook on western clothing styles.