PDA

View Full Version : Cal Jobs

vetobob9
10-16-2013, 07:54 PM
I was entering information on the Cal Jobs sight, a state website that helps people find work.

When I applied for unemployment benefits from the state of Texas, it asked for sex. Knowing the difference between sex and gender, I had to input male because I thought it was a legal document.

However, when I was registering with Cal Jobs which is a California job search site, it asked for gender so I put female. I am not sure if that was the correct thing to do.

I do identify and often present as a woman but because of financial reasons, I have not even been able to start hormone treatments.

Did I put the correct gender for the Cal Jobs sight and the correct sex for the Unemployment sight?

Beverley Sims
10-17-2013, 12:22 AM
I do not think so, they will ask questions now.
Is that what you want or do you want a job that earns money?

Michelle789
10-17-2013, 12:49 AM
Although gender and sex are technically different concepts, legally they're considered the same thing, just some forms use the word "gender" and others use the word "sex". On any legal form you must use the gender you're legally assigned to. Also, why are you registering for CalJobs if you're collecting unemployment in Texas?

Shari
10-17-2013, 05:17 AM
When I went to college and the new semester application had to be filled out, I always did something different from the time before. I suppose just to maybe screw with their data base.
I was both male and female and my ethnicity was white, black, Asian and even Eskimo depending on my mood.
Don't worry about it. Nobody really cares.

Bridgetlagurl
10-17-2013, 07:19 AM
Could see it being a issue with medical insurance

linda allen
10-17-2013, 07:25 AM
If you are legally a male, you should use that designation in any official or semi official context. That's legally what you are. Saying "female" when you are legally male is providing false information and could cause you trouble.

On a web forum, you can be whatever you want to be.

Melissa Rose
10-17-2013, 09:02 AM
If you are legally a male, you should use that designation in any official or semi official context. That's legally what you are. Saying "female" when you are legally male is providing false information and could cause you trouble.
I had the same thought. If your legal documentation states one sex/gender and you submit an application to a government agency stating differently, it could be considered fraud in some cases especially when receiving some kind of public assistance or money is involved. Unless the gender category has transgendered as a choice, it is usually referring to your legal sex status.

When I went to college and the new semester application had to be filled out, I always did something different from the time before. I suppose just to maybe screw with their data base. I was both male and female and my ethnicity was
white, black, Asian and even Eskimo depending on my mood. Don't worry about it. Nobody really cares.
Somebody does care and purposely messing with survey data of this type is not good. These surveys are not done just for the fun of it. Leave the answers blank if you don't care about it. I have two jobs, one at a non-profit, and both depend on the accuracy of the demographics of the populations served. Both get funding from outside sources and some grants and donations are dependent on demographics. You may think nobody really cares, but funding for services may depend on it.

Amy Lynn3
10-17-2013, 09:24 AM
When I read something like thing, it brings to mind what a guy did in my town. Needless to say he was not the sharpest pencil in the drawer, but he was ask to fill out a job application. He came to the question....SEX. He put, yes, one time, in a drive-in.

Yes, just a word does have different meanings to different people, so if you have questions ask of you about the two different answers, I'm sure you can explain it away.

vetobob9
10-18-2013, 06:32 PM
I was working in Texas but then I quite because of harrassment. After I had already quit, I had to move to California to take care of my elderly father.

I changed the Cal Jobs entry to back to male.

I put female on the job applications after indicating that I was trans. This way they won't think I am faking it. I get a lot of questions about if I am going to go under the knife, what restroom I use, and whether I check male or female on forms I fill out.