PDA

View Full Version : Mom and me

Jackie7
10-17-2013, 07:15 AM
After my mom died in 2000 I decided to keep her ashes, at least for a while. Lately they've been in this wooden box, which my brother made many many years ago. It comes up now because my brother died this past summer, and we're driving to his place today to scatter his ashes. I'll scatter Mom's at the same time.

In many families caring for the elders falls to only one sibling, that would have been me. But I think they both will be ok with looking out for each other now.

I tried to post a photo but the wifi in this crummy motel wont take it. I am wearing her bracelet and wristwatch, and also the gold locket she got from her mom. It's got tiny ancient pictures inside. And also in her memory, I'm wearing my Rago OBG corselette with old-style hard nylons I found at the thrift shop, with a full slip under my purple knit dress. She liked to wear blue, mauve and purple, these colors work well with our eyes.

I couldn't come out of the closet while she was alive, I feared her disappointment and disapproval. I wish I had been more courageous. Thank you for everything, Mom. I'll always love you.

Jessica giovanna
10-17-2013, 07:19 AM
Bless your heart, sweetie.....I as a nurse and caregiver to my mother understand you....she still loves you as so does he. My heart goes out to you and others in the same situation..

Ms.g

Bria
10-17-2013, 11:31 AM
Jackie, you have my condolences on the loss of your family members. Loosing my parents was very difficult for me, I haven't
lost either of my sisters, but if that happens I'm sure that it will be more difficult that I think.
scattering the ashes may give you some closure on their passing. It's really hard to realize that I am now the "older generation" in my family. Hope all goes well for you as you do the last thing that you can do for your mother and brother.
Let us know how it goes. Hugs, Bria

Carole
10-17-2013, 11:55 AM
I hope all went well for you Jackie. My sister and I scattered our mother's ashes across the graves of her mother and 3 of her sisters in a small cemetery in the Yorkshire Dales; so not only is she reunited with some of her family she also has a wonderful view across the valley.

Persephone
10-17-2013, 12:19 PM
All the best on this difficult day, Jackie. You are doing a beautiful thing for your mother and your brother.

Hugs,
Persephone.

Beverley Sims
10-17-2013, 12:24 PM
Jackie,
It can be distressing when you realise you are at the top of the heap and eldest in the family.
I assume this is so.
Do what you have to do and your Mother and brother would be grateful for your decision.