PDA

View Full Version : Girls Jeans....What are they like?

BridalBoy
10-17-2013, 12:33 PM
What's the difference between men's and women's jeans as far as how they fit on men? Are they more comfortable? Do they FEM you any? If I am a 36/32 loose fit, what should I try in female equivilant? Thanks!

Kate Simmons
10-17-2013, 12:37 PM
Women's jeans are a bit wider at the hip and pretty much go by dress size although the "cut" depends on where you get them from. Plus women's jeans are usually decorated more.:battingeyelashes::)

mikiSJ
10-17-2013, 12:40 PM
IF you still have your 'stuff', learn to tuck or you will be uncomfortable and maybe visibly not femme.

Since women's jeans are meant for women, the inseam number is anywhere from 1" to 3" too short on a male body. You may want to visit LongTallSally.com for long lengths.

I have two pairs of Not Your Daughter's Jeans (NYDJ) and love them. They are lighter than Levi 501s and the stretchy material is simply nice to wear.

Chari
10-17-2013, 12:51 PM
All manufacturers of jeans for gals or guys DO NOT fit alike! Not only is there women's sizes, but also misses, juniors, petite, and full sizes. Add to that skinny, boot cut, straight leg, and cords. Most female jeans do have some stretch material sewn in, but also very small pockets, which is another reason gals carry a purse. If you know your guy size (waist and inseam) you can measure the female jeans , but it is best to try on before you buy for the fit you are looking for.

Beverley Sims
10-17-2013, 12:58 PM
I will let others describe them, for me.....
"Absolutely fabulous." :)

Lynn Marie
10-17-2013, 01:26 PM
Girls jeans are pretty much the same as boy jeans except a lot tighter! If you like tight clothes, which I do, then buy some and enjoy! It helps to have a sewing machine and be able to make simple alterations for better fit.

Beverley Sims
10-17-2013, 01:29 PM
Lynn,
Out of necessity I have had to learn to use a sewing machine to taper my jeans.
Yep! I have skinny legs. :)
At least "super skinny" jeans fit without adjustment.

I Am Paula
10-17-2013, 01:35 PM
I'm with Miki. Not Your Daughters Jeans are fab. I have found them on sale as low as $99. Worth every penny.

natalie_cheryl
10-17-2013, 01:59 PM
i love my girl skinny jeans they honestly are the most comfortable jeans i've ever worn i've been toying with the idea of trying to wear womens jean in guy mode if i can find a pair that won't stand out to much

Karren H
10-17-2013, 02:22 PM
They don't fem me..... I don't care what you do to them..... there's nothing even remotely feminine about work slacks made of rough blue cloth for gold miners 150 years ago....

Loni
10-17-2013, 02:28 PM
skinny jeans are great, try a size 14 as a start point.
as others have said different manf, cuts and styles fit differently.
i have no problem fitting into a size 12...but i have no hips.

for guy mode i have a selection of size 14 for him.
sold off, given away all of the boy stuff.
in five + years only heard one word and it was a older lady saying to her friend that i was in girls jeans, but then i was also shopping in the dress area of a major store.
at first just buy some that are less fancy, aka: less bling on them.
with mid rise waist line. low rise need hips to stay up.

been a long time that i have not been dressed in mens clothing.
as loni or him.

Jennifer in CO
10-17-2013, 02:35 PM
brand makes fit and tailoring everything. I have a pair of Chic jeans from way-back-when that fit like a glove (ok they used to...) when I was a size 10. I have a pair of Faded Glory from wallyworld that are just fine for bumming around but are heavy (baggy) in the thigh area. I have a pair of Levi's from JCP that are really nice "goin out" jeans. I have a pair of Ropers that I still don't know why I kept them - so now they are barn jeans. Fit?...if I were a cow maybe....and they are all 14's

robindee36
10-17-2013, 02:41 PM
If you have never tried on stretchy fabric 'skinny' girl jeans then you need to get out and experience them. Yes, the fit is different, the feel of the fabric much smoother than plain old denim and the cut in the zipper area (down there you know ;) not roomy at all. Way too many combinations and permutations; boot cut, low rise, flared, mid rise, etc. Just need to grab an arm load and off to the dressing room you go.

Have to disagree with Karren on this (sorry), but the new fabrics are not at all like the rough blue cloth of yore. Personally I love the softness of the fabric and, with a bit of tuck, love the smooth profile (down there). Also, they do hug your buns much better than the male product ;)

Get yourself out to a department store and try on some different sizes and styles of women's' jeans. I don't know of any equivalency to men's' sizing particularly when the elasticity of the fabric is considered.

Personally, I'm sold on the skinny fabric. Just personal preference.

Hugs, Robin

Rachael Leigh
10-17-2013, 03:44 PM
Just bought my first pair the other day, I'm 6"2 and had to get the long length in Jr size 17 they are just a bit slimmer than guy jeans but I doubt anyone would notice that much if I wear them out.

julia marie
10-17-2013, 05:46 PM
Jennifer. Same experience here. I've bought three pairs of size 14 skinny jeans. It's like the three bears story. The ones from Walmart are just bulky even after multiple washes in hot water and drying on hot to shrink. The ones from Old Navy (online order) didn't even button right off the bat. Third pair from Target (online) fit just right after a hot wash, and i love them. Advice to others: Same as a couple of other people have said, go in-store and try on as many as you can until you find a fit and style.

Bria
10-17-2013, 06:04 PM
I bought a pair of size 14 long jeans at Wallmart for my 6' 2" tall 36" waist 34" inseam male body and they fit fine, probably could fit into a size 12. The material is soft and stretchy as others have said. Oh, by the way they were on sale for $9, what a deal! Bria

wilt575
10-17-2013, 06:36 PM
I love them softer smoother fabric the cut down in zipper area. They feel so encapsulating in the waist hips and taper into thighs gives me a nice fem profile. Also a nice butt just feel and look so good. If I wear control panties don,t need to tuck, the hold what little I have up inside where it belongs flat out of sight. I do have jeans with and with out, depending on occasion, and love both styles.

Tina B.
10-17-2013, 07:11 PM
I've found a couple of brands that have little to no decorations on the back pockets. and I wear them in both female and male mode. No one has noticed yet.
Depending on your height, you may need to shop for a long, not a regular length leg. I find I fall just in between longs are a little too long, while most regular are just a bit short, but there again it varies by brand, I have found regular lengths that do work.
Check on line, as they will tell the inseam length, and it helps for finding the ones that are a bit longer. Oh, in in the 38" waist size at around 5'10" and I wear a size 16 to 18 depending on brand.
Hope this helps, I generally don't talk about my size, for obvious reasons.

Ceri Anne
10-17-2013, 07:19 PM
Girls jeans can have few or a lot of differences. They typically have a fuller tush, slimmer legs and often are strechy. I wear a 34/30 mens jean, and in womens I wear a 10 Petit. The petit takes care of the shorter leg. In a womans skirt, I typically wear a 14 because they ride higher on the waist (I need to work on that). I'm not much into the adornment, but I love the fit of the strechy slender legs. Actually Rock Stars often wear girls jean for the slender fit look. They typically ride lower on your waist also, but the high waists are coming back in slowly. Old Navy had different fits, Diva for slender hips, Girl Friend for fuller hips. They have another, I can't remember it. I personally like the Gloria Vanderbilt ones I get at Costco. Great tapered fit womens shirts also.

Roberta Marie
10-17-2013, 08:05 PM
The last pair of men's jeans that I bought, 4 or 5 years ago were 36/30, and they were tight in the butt and loose in the waist. About the same time I got some women's 12 regular women's jeans that fit good in the waist and the butt. Length was also good. Since then I've found that size differs not only between manufacturers but also between different styles of the same manufacturers. As others have said, it's best to try them on.

As far as length, remember that women and men carry their height in different proportions. Men carry more of their height in their torso than in their legs compaired to women, women carry more of their height in their legs than in their torso compaired to men. Donpt be surprised if women's jeans are longer than you expect.

livefree83
10-17-2013, 08:33 PM
Most women's jeans will be tighter in the legs/butt. I'm a 34X32 in men's jeans. I only have one pair of women's jeans - Express ReRock jeans in a size 12 long. I love wearing them!!! I can almost get away wearing them with a men's button down shirt or sweater.

I've always been jealous as to how many different styles/washes there are in women's jeans compared to men's jeans. I'm glad to see more stores like Abercrombie and Express have expanded their selection with men's jeans. Used to be: I had to go to a high-end store like Nordstrom or Saks and look at brands like Diesel, 7 for Mankind and True Religion to get a variety of styles/washes. However, it seemed foolish to me to spend $150+ on a pair of jeans.

Like others have stated: try on a few pairs in different stores and see how they fit. It's all about comfort and finding the perfect pair that makes you feel sexy!!! :)

Heelsnlegs
10-17-2013, 08:39 PM
I wear a 36/32 in men's jeans and a size 12 seems to fit in most ladies jeans. I'm totally sold on them...not as saggy and the fabric is so much softer than men's jeans.. I found American Eagle to be a good compromise between style and price..

Jilmac
10-17-2013, 08:41 PM
I've found women's jeans to vary in size from brand to brand, even different styles of the same brand will have a different fit and feel. Men's jeans are somewhat fuller in the crotch to accomodate the "bulge". Women's jeans are fuller in the hips and usually smaller in the waist. Also women's jeans contain a percentage of spandex which makes them stretchy and clingy at the same time. From the measurements you gave about yourself, I'm not sure which size would be best for you but my waist is 31 and my hips are 36 and a size 8 jean usually fits well. I also maintain a very tight tuck when I wear women's jeans because I want that smooth vee in front. You will probably have to experiment with several sizes before you make a final decision on the correct size.

BLUE ORCHID
10-17-2013, 09:01 PM
Hi BB, The sizes change A 16W is real baggy in the seat But a size 16 fits perfectly.
The woman's jeans have much more room for junk in the trunk ladies jeans do.
I wear a men's 40X30 and 16s' fit perfectly.

Robin777
10-17-2013, 09:23 PM
I personally like the Gloria Vanderbilt ones I get at Costco.

That's where i just picked up 2 pairs last week. I wear a size 10 long. I have a 33 waist and a 34 inseam. They fit perfectly. I have a pair that's a size 12 that is a touch loose. I believe they are $16.99 a pair at Costco. Kohls wants somewhere around $30-35 a pair for the same jeans.

tina16
10-17-2013, 09:40 PM
Check out Old Navy. I like the Diva cut the best. Last time I was there I picked up a pair of Diva skinny jeans in size 6 long (boy jean size 31X36) and tried on a pair of Diva boot cut. The skinny jeans are fine on me with the long size but the Long boot cut is borderline too short (I think they would work but they are none too long).

You can go on their website and order jeans in tall sizes (can't be bought it stores) so I've ordered a pair of Diva boot cut size 6 tall and am awaiting their arrival.

They (Old Navy) also have tops and dresses in tall sizes that have a longer waist and longer sleeves.

Also, most of the Old Navy jeans don't have anything on the back pockets to stand out.

paula_16
10-17-2013, 10:03 PM
The front pockets are smaller. You may need your purse.

NathalieX66
10-17-2013, 10:06 PM
The inseam is rather high. .....yeah right? I wonder why that is. :heehee:

Amy R Lynn
10-17-2013, 10:17 PM
I've always noticed that most women will slip their cell phone into their back pocket. That's because the front pockets aren't really made to hold things. I use my pockets for everything. Keys, chap stick, cell phone.. etc... so in lieu of men carrying a purse, they give us the extra pocket space.

Eryn
10-17-2013, 11:46 PM
There are so many styles and fits of femme jeans that it is impossible to generalize about them.

I'd like to try Not My Daughter's Jeans, but their price tag has discouraged me.

I like Gloria Vanderbilt Amandas and Levi's Misses' 505s. The Levi's have a mid-rise waist similar to most men's jeans, but the fit is closer and they have a bit of Spandex to make them more comfy. Wear a belt with them unless you like giving folks a flash of panty when you bend over. The Amandas are higher-waisted (waist at bellybutton level) and can be worn beltless if you wish. I wore a 31/34 in men's 501s and a size 8 Long in either of these fits me perfectly. I wear unembellished versions of these them every day in male mode and prettier versions in female mode.

Both of these jeans have shallow front pockets. I carry my smartphone in one and a single set of keys in the other while in male modes. I carry a purse in both modes for larger items.

Megan72
10-18-2013, 01:06 AM
Kinda like women's jeans but smaller....

Tracii G
10-18-2013, 01:49 AM
Old Navy is a good place to start or go to a thrift shop and try a few to find what works best way cheaper too.

mariehart
10-18-2013, 05:07 AM
I'm lucky to still fit a 32 inch waist in men's that equates to a size 12 in women's jeans. That's US size 8. Also I have a relatively big and feminine butt so women's jeans fit me better particularly when male jeans were a tighter fit. I would find that while I had a 30 inch waist. I couldn't get men's jeans up high enough. So women's were preferred or I had to put up with a loose fit around the waist. .

sometimes_miss
10-18-2013, 05:09 AM
You really have to try them on to see; there are women with less curvy figures, and women with very curvy figures, and just as no single size 8 jean will fit all size 8 women, neither will they fit all men. Also, there are the low rise style, which ride VERY low on the hips, which will probably not be comfortable as they will probably not stay up because you don't have the hip/thigh curve that women do.

erickka
10-18-2013, 05:16 AM
I'm a 32waist 30 inseam in guy jeans, and most of my girly jeans are a size 8. I have some 8 long Levi's "prefect waist" jeans that fit and feel fabulous and work great with some 4-5" heels!

linda allen
10-18-2013, 07:48 AM
Why don't you just go to Walmart or any such store, pick out two or three pairs , and try them on? You can take a cloth or paper tape measurre and measure your men's jeans, then measure the women's jeans in the store. Or simply try them on for fit. There are many styles so pick what looks good on you. I wear women's jeans in male mode when the occasion calls for jeans unless I'm working on the house or the car, then I wear my remaining men's jeans.

Women's jeans usually have smaller pockets than men's jeans but it varies fro style to style and manufacturer to manufacturer. Women's jeans are usually made from a stretch fabric so they cling to your body somewhat.

Hint: Men's 36 is probably a woman's 14. 32 L is probably a "Long".

suchacutie
10-18-2013, 07:48 AM
Girl's jeans have an interesting complication or two. First, a "regular" jean (one that hits a women's waist) assumes that the waist measurement is 10 inches smaller than the hip measurement. Most of us can't do that without corset help. We get saved by the"rise". By buying a lower rise jean it's the hip measurement that counts. So, with my 34inch waist and 38inch hips I generally buy size8 low rise jeans and they fit perfectly!

Jessica giovanna
10-18-2013, 08:32 AM
Wearing women's skinny jeans are all I have worn for awhile as men sizes for me are hard to find....they don't really make a men's 24/28....in women's it's a size 4. My advice mirrors others in that you really need to try them on (a few pair) to see what works. Remember that to find your size in women's a safe bet is to take your number and subtract 21... That will get you close! Good luck in your hunt!
Ps my fav is rue21....:o

naraxyn
10-18-2013, 08:33 AM
Maybe maybe im super hot womens jeans ;)

Janet Bern
10-18-2013, 08:41 AM
a bit more snug.. and most of the time not long enough for 6'3
but I did get lucky at Old Navy

Allison Quinn
10-18-2013, 11:01 AM
I wear a mixture of men's and women's skinny jeans :P
The women's ones feel the same since I always wear skinny jeans anyway xD
The only pair of women's jeans that I have that are different are because they are like Jeggins or something to that degree. They are really comfy though c: They look and feel like jeans but they just stretch around my leg xP

Brenn
10-18-2013, 04:39 PM
The variety of responses has pretty much captured all the variations out there. I'm 36" waist and 34" inseam and wear 14 tall jeans. My favorites are from Eddie Bauer. My wife says they are the best looking jeans I have ever worn [in guy mode]. I wear women's jeans exclusively now. LL Bean has a new style I'd like to try too.

UNDERDRESSER
10-19-2013, 12:21 AM
I don't wear jeans these days, but I've bought a couple of pairs of women’s technical pants, and some shorts. The fit tends to be closer, narrower in the leg, more form fitted around the butt. Some may have issues with room for the obvious differences from a woman. Recently, I've found that a pair of size 14 pants fits me better than a 36 mens. 34s are almost always too small, and the 36s often require a belt. On the other hand, I picked up a pair of mens 36 2 days ago that would not have fitted better if I'd had them tailored! They are a pair of pants designed for casual cycling around town, they are slimmer in the leg, and closer fitted around the butt, so they fit something like the ladies usually do....

dawnmarrie1961
10-19-2013, 12:33 AM
I've been wearing Girl jeans forever and frankly I don't find them to be any different that guy jeans.

nancy123cd
10-19-2013, 11:14 PM
Mmmmmm jeans with heels!

dee_kay
10-20-2013, 07:06 AM
Has anyone tried making the pockets larger? I'm thinking girl jeans might actually be a sensible option for me in male mode too as I can never find any men's jeans that seem to fit.

Richelle423
10-20-2013, 09:10 AM
Girls jeans are THE most comfortable jeans I have worn in my life! Im a 34-35/30 in men's and a 14 in women's.The feel of soft cotton and spandex can't be beat. Try Levis 525 n 505 they look unisex no one will be able to tell the difference.

RobynP
10-20-2013, 04:00 PM
For me, personally, women's jeans fit me a lot better than men's jeans. I'm not sure why...

The fabric in women's jeans is often a lot smoother and lighter. And the smaller pockets are because we're supposed to carry all of our stuff in our purse... There should be no "lumps" to spoil our figure...

stephNE
10-20-2013, 04:54 PM
I haven't had a pair of men's jeans in more than 10 years. Some of mine do have a little stitching on the back pockets. Only one person has ever commented.
Not too long ago I was in line at Taco Bell. A young lady went thru the line a couple people behind me. After she paid she came over to me and asked "Did you get your jeans at Dress Barn?" I told her "Well, yea, I did, why, how did you know?" She spun around pointed at the stitching on her back pocket and said "Cause I have the same jeans!" We both laughed.

Cheryl T
10-21-2013, 07:25 AM
They are like mens jeans, only cuter and better fitting.

michelle-
10-21-2013, 06:40 PM
In my case, I didn't like wearing jeans. Maybe the model and size wasn't right? (they use to belong to my sister, and felt a bit uncomfortable). They are certainly different from men jeans, but I didn't quite get the best feeling from wearing them. They looked like my everyday jeans, only tighter. Maybe I have to get jeans of my own.

lynnef
10-21-2013, 07:41 PM
for me the girl's jeans actually fit :P my hips/butt are too curvy for guys jeans - if they fit my waist, i can't get into the pockets, if they fit my hips, then they fall down, (and i *hate* wearing a belt) sooo it's a size 10/12 jeans for me :)

bobbimo
10-22-2013, 08:36 AM
Your the same size as me, and I get the Lee riders sliming jeans size 10. This size doesnt apply out side of Lee's Size 12 works in other makers.
Walmart always has many of them in stock, I have a black pair that is devoid of any ornaments that the wife lets me wear out, and a blue pair with gold trim that are on the edge that she lets me wear.
I love them, and they fit much better than boy jeans.
You need to be a little careful bending over tho.
Bobbi

Lexi Moralas
10-22-2013, 10:40 AM
I love wearing a tight pair of low rise skinny jeans with high heel.
I like the way look I love they feel especially with a pair of thigh high stocking under them.
But you just have to try them for your self. I suggest buying them at good will or Salvation Army so you don't Risk to much money and find out you have a $60 pair of jeans you'll never wear

Bria
10-22-2013, 10:54 AM
I'm 6' 2" tall and wear 36/34 in mens jeans. I found a pair of 14 tall Lee's at walmart on sale for
$9. They fit fine, next time I might try a 12 tall as the 14 tall is a little loose at the waist since the girl jeans stretch so much. It sure does make bending and kneeling easier on this 70s somthing body. Bria

cdxmatty
10-22-2013, 06:35 PM
Tiny Tiny Tiny pockets :P I agree love wearing heels with jeans.

julia marie
10-22-2013, 07:37 PM
One warning about the small pockets on girl jeans. If you keep your cellphone in your back pocket like most GGs, you are sure to join the "my phone fell in the toilet" brigade. When heading to the ladies room, put the phone in your purse.

Val Tan
10-23-2013, 02:28 AM
One warning about the small pockets on girl jeans. If you keep your cellphone in your back pocket like most GGs, you are sure to join the "my phone fell in the toilet" brigade. When heading to the ladies room, put the phone in your purse.

I always wondered how girls tended to drop their phones in the toilet, until I wore women's jeans myself!

Beverley Sims
10-23-2013, 01:03 PM
I was noticed at Pearl Harbor once by some girls working a booth.
I was in drab and they liked the slim style my jeans presented.
There was no mention of them being girls jeans or the blouse I had on either.
It was a shirt style actually and stretch fabric.