PDA

View Full Version : Best way to capture a pic by yourself

Heather_Shirly
10-18-2013, 12:10 PM
Dont know if this is the right place to post but since i didn't have a picture with it I decded to post here instead of in the picture forum.

Anyway....

What is the best way to get a pic of yoursel by yourself? sometimes it is just so hard to get the camra going and to keep the pose.

Chickhe
10-18-2013, 12:14 PM
All you need is a tripod, self timer and pre-focus on the spot you will be standing (mark the spot with something in advance). For posing, a large mirror behind the camera helps.

reb.femme
10-18-2013, 12:19 PM
Chickhe wrote: "For posing, a large mirror behind the camera helps". Everyone loves a smart A........actually, I'm gonna steal that idea for my next shoot. :heehee:

Good tip!

Rebecca

Jocelyn Quivers
10-18-2013, 12:25 PM
One other thing that helps with the tripod, self timer technique is to have a mirror close by, to check your hair, make sure your bra, etc. is not showing. Also have your pic locations scouted, in advanced, take a few practice shots just to get the blood flowing and test out if your outfit looks good. Then get to pic taking, the 10 sec self timer goes by very quickly and can wear you out after a while. So usually after 10-20 pics I take a break, check make up, decide whether to change locations, outfits, refreshen make up etc.

Kate Simmons
10-18-2013, 12:33 PM
I'm guessing a lot of gals here will give you some high tech, elaborate ideas to take pics. Myself? I just took most of mine (which are not re-touched) in my bathroom mirror using ambient lighting with a mini didgcam. Unfortunately that particular cam crashed a bit ago.:battingeyelashes::)

jenni_xx
10-18-2013, 12:34 PM
A mirror behind the camera is a great tip, but don't be at all surprised when the picture comes out that you look completely different to how you thought you were presenting. For one reason. Whenever we look in a mirror we are seeing everything in reverse. And seeing it the right way round can often be jarring to ourselves when looking at pictures of ourselves.

For this reason, photographs (or videos) are the only way for us to actually see ourselves as others see us. Our faces are never symmetrical, so the image we have of ourselves (through looking in mirrors) is different to how we actually look to others. When people say that they hate the way they look in photographs (and I'm one of them), the harsh truth is that that photograph is how we look. Of course, with a photograph, all it will ever do is take a split second moment in time, so the context of any facial expression is lost (an example which illustrates this point is the photo that was taken as we were blinking. In real time - that is in every day life - blinking is exactly that - a split second, almost invisible action. But captured on a photograph we can look simply ridiculous!

So when taking a photo, my advice would be to take many. As Chickhe said - set up a tripod and click away. Take many many pictures. The subtlest of changes in facial expression - which will all be captured in one moment really can and do make all the difference. The point being - never ever judge yourself based on one single photograph. It's why professional photographers (and paparazzi) will take as many as possible.

Elisa Lace
10-18-2013, 12:35 PM
It all depends on what kind of camera you are using.

For a DSLR, set the autofocus point to "automatic" so the camera chooses which part of the frame is going to focus on. Also, a remote helps a lot, if there isn't one available, just use the timer set to 2 seconds (more than enough to run to the point where the camera will most likely focus on) and strike a pose.

For a point and shoot camera, you could do pretty much the same. Even easier if your camera has a smile shutter or at least face detection (which almost any camera does have lately). Just set the timer and pose, wait for the camera to shoot or just smile in case the camera has the smile shutter.

Most important thing though it's lighting. Proper lighting is key in everything... I could go on extensively on this subject, but a good tip is to try to use "above and in front of you" lighting which slims your face, diminishes shadows and gives you a flattering look in general.

Another ideal tip, is to get a catchlight on your eyes, that means, that small bright spark of light reflected on your iris or pupil. Gives the picture a lot more depth and makes your face a lot more alive! Also, try to place a small lamp behind you or behind you and off frame, to give some nice separation light between you and the background.

NicoleScott
10-18-2013, 12:39 PM
I use the mirror behind the camera trick, and also use a hand mirror when I take mug shots. I hold the mirror up in front of the camera while counting - when I get to 8 I take the mirror down and try to hold the pose until the shutter clicks about 2 seconds later.
Also, for the best photos, have good lighting.
And smile.
Take lots. Keep the best.

reb.femme
10-18-2013, 03:23 PM
Mounted on a cheap tripod, my little point and shoot Canon has a '3 shots with 10 sec delay' setting, which is great for diving back to the designated position and striking a pose. This way I get to take loads in a short period, change angles, poses and facial expression.

I could do with a remote, which would be an ideal extra.

Rebecca

Karren H
10-18-2013, 03:45 PM
I have a small Sony camera.... bright red.... with a mini tripod... so small it fits in my purse... so I set the 10 second timer and set it down.... pose then retrieve ... also has a Velcro strap for attaching it to railings.... great for those out and about action photos....

Jessica giovanna
10-18-2013, 04:07 PM
FYI...some newer android phone have a voice feature that allows you to say a phrase like "cheese" ....it then takes the picture...enjoy! And take plenty pics girls....we are all beautiful!

Maryesther M.
10-18-2013, 04:49 PM
Apart from an actual cine camera I have two digitals, a small go-anywhere camera which fits on either a standing tripod or a little bendy three tentacle 'octopus' type which bends round railings & tree branches & suchlike.

The other is a big SLR lump for which I have a remote control. This will focus, expose & fire at the touch of a little button in my hand at up to 100 feet range, (so they say). Trick there is to set the SLR up on a tripod & zoom to a chosen field of view to allow you do your thing. I generally set the camera to multiple fire, so that if I keep the button pressed it will take three shots per second, so there will be lots of frames to choose from when editing afterwards.

That certainly takes care of the 10-second dash.

M.

Beverley Sims
10-18-2013, 05:15 PM
I am only repeating what everyone else has said.
Camera, tripod and self timer.
You do need to comb your hair and look presentable also. :)

rita63
10-18-2013, 08:55 PM
:):daydreaming::)The most important advice I can give you is "smile" damnit:D:heehee::battingeyelashes::tongueout

JamieQ
10-18-2013, 09:12 PM
Dont know if this is the right place to post but since i didn't have a picture with it I decded to post here instead of in the picture forum.

Anyway....

What is the best way to get a pic of yoursel by yourself? sometimes it is just so hard to get the camra going and to keep the pose.

I sure would like to know!...I have not figured it out yet so I took videos so far...I did capture a few "print screens" from the videos though and saved as a pic...

Eryn
10-18-2013, 09:25 PM
One tip I haven't seen yet is to use a tall tripod and get the camera at head level. That helps to make us tall girls look a bit less Amazonian.

Brooklyn
10-18-2013, 09:53 PM
I don't know about cameras, but here are some good tips for posing: http://feminizationsecrets.com/crossdressing-transgender-photo-posing-mistakes/

AmyGaleRT
10-18-2013, 11:48 PM
I use an iPhone 4S with a small tripod that stands atop a desk to keep the lens above eye level. I use a little gizmo called the "Glif" that the phone clamps into and that screws into the tripod. I also use an app called "Camera Genius" that features a repeating timer with an audible countdown beep.

To shoot pictures, I set the phone to airplane mode with notifications and auto-lock off, and set Camera Genius to a 10-second repeating timer. Then I put the phone into the Glif screwed atop the tripod, and aim it at the area where I'll be standing when I take the pictures. Then I put some "girly" music on the computer (Pandora or Google Play All-Access work well here), start the timer, step in front of the camera, and let the music move me into different poses. I'll generally do this for one or two songs before stopping, yielding a "run" of 50+ pictures, from which I can pick out the best ones.

- Amy

Marcelle
10-19-2013, 06:03 AM
I use a DSLR and tripod for most of my pictures with the flash set to "portrait". I normally ensure the camera is above eye level for close up shots. The one thing I don't do is stare directly at the camera lens when doing a portrait shot. I find if I set my gaze just slightly off to the right or left, my face looks a bit more natural. When I stare directly at the lens it winds up looking like a passport photo or a mug shot . . . Oh yeah and smile!

Hugs

Isha

SarahSerene
10-20-2013, 06:21 AM
Great link Ashley! I particularly like rule #4, camera set at or above eye level. Funny story - I have a DSLR and was taking pictures of our daughter before prom (my wife knows about Sandra but my daughter doesn't). I set the camera above eye level saying something like "ok for the next shots your going to like this angle, it has a slimming effect on facial features." My wife looks at me with a raised eyebrow and says "and... how do you know this?"

Michelle (Oz)
10-20-2013, 06:56 AM
I don't know about cameras, but here are some good tips for posing: http://feminizationsecrets.com/crossdressing-transgender-photo-posing-mistakes/
Top resource thanks Ashley. I use the usual camera with self-timer and tripod.

The type of camera is important to me. Many photos are taken outside so the camera must be light, fit in my purse, take RAW pictures to allow post editing (not photoshopping) and have a manual focus. The Sony RX100 suits my purpose well. And take a 100 photos and at least one will be good.

BLUE ORCHID
10-20-2013, 07:02 AM
Hi Heather, Keep lights & doors and windows from behind you the light behind you makes your photo look dark.

dee_kay
10-20-2013, 07:04 AM
I've found multi-shot mode is the only real option as just taking a single shot at a time means its far too time consuming.... and they'll always be that single photo in a thousand that makes you wonder 'how the hell did I look like that'!

Sarah Beth
10-20-2013, 08:57 AM
A lot of really good suggestions in the posts here. The best thing is to have that tripod so you can get the camera above eye level, that is really important. Then don't go squared up and head on into the camera unless you are going for that mug shot look. I never was that good a portrait photography but one major thing I did learn is that you need to get the person or person you are photographing to be relaxed. So if you are taking pics of yourself you need to remember to relax and have fun. Its hard to do if you are waiting on a self timer to go off, the old slr cameras had a cable release you could use to trip the camera shutter, some of the newer digitals have a remote button you can use which could also be helpful. Another suggestion would be that if you are using a flash try to difuse it somehow a lot of times you really don't need the flash if you can get your lighting right you just have to experiment which is why digital cameras are so great.

Lynn Marie
10-20-2013, 09:04 AM
When posting your pictures, one really good picture is far better than a dozen average pictures. Why post dozens of pictures in the same outfit, same background, and with only slight variations of the pose? I get bored easily, I even cull the pictures in my own Flickr site just to keep it interesting and classy.

VeronicaMoonlit
10-20-2013, 09:10 AM
Tripod, tripod, tripod.

Which in general means a "real camera". (Yes I know there are "tripods" for phones, but it's not optimal)

Then use either the timer delay feature, a remote shutter release or both!

Veronica

Candice Mae
10-20-2013, 09:37 AM
Look in a mirror prior to taking pictures and evaluate your self. Make sure you look your best from head to toe. Pick a location that is free of clutter or will not over power you in the picture. Also avoid wearing like colors of your back ground, your taking a picture of you not the back ground. Also less is more, you don't need 6" heals, huge boobs, or to pull your skirt/dress up. Sure we all like to feel sexy, but there is a line and a modesty of being a woman vs looking like a.... Lastly shoulders back, boobs out, if standing have at least one leg straight, a most importantly of all SMILE.

JenniferR771
10-20-2013, 10:50 AM
Above suggestions are good. My avatar is indoors, and likewise my profile--but both are close to a strong light source. Self-timer. Background carefully selected, (profile is in front of a shower curtain).
If you take tripod self -timer shots using auto focus...the pic may be out of focus because you were not in the frame when the camera adjusted the focus (with sound waves), or maybe you were right in front of the camera and it tried to focus at 2 feet. Use the fixed focus and set the distance in advance to fix this problem. Outdoor light on a cloudy day with a leafy background works excellent. Outdoors avoids "white face" from the flash. Outdoors gives a much better pic if your cell phone has no flash.
If you use a cell phone--hope it has a self-timer. If no tripod, attach it to a can of beer with a rubber band or support it in a coffee mug held upright with a bit of paper towel; place it on a table or high shelf; adjust your height so you face is in the picture, (on your knees if necessary).
OR...if you have a flip phone (like me), use self-timer and stand it up like a triangle on a picnic table or car roof. In my case they come out upside down--but pics are easily corrected in the computer. I take the Micro-SD card out and slip it into my card reader to transfer photos to the computer.

Remember to pose like a Hollywood movie star...slight angle, left leg bent. Look at the camera...or...look left and roll eyes to camera.

CarlaWestin
10-20-2013, 11:37 AM
I have a simple and cost effective arrangement that fits nicely in my purse. The rig allows me to collect images or HD videos, even under water, that I edit with free software (Fastone for images and MS MovieMaker for video) Camera $70.00, HD vidcam $50.00, tripod $10.00.

docrobbysherry
10-20-2013, 01:11 PM
They r a zillion good suggestions here. U should try them all, Heather. Here's the most important: Remember u can delete ALL your pics if u like! So, take a zillion and keep the 3 u like!

Mounted on a cheap tripod, my little point and shoot Canon has a '3 shots with 10 sec delay' setting, which is great for diving back to the designated position and striking a pose. This way I get to take loads in a short period, change angles, poses and facial expression.

I could do with a remote, which would be an ideal extra.

Rebecca
I guess my Cannon is newer than yours, Becca? Because mine has up to 30 second delay timer! U have NO IDEA how much trouble I can into and/or contorted positions, in 30 seconds!

raven_crosdresser
10-27-2013, 05:07 PM
I have tried the tripod with a camera, but he best pictures that I have taken have come from the front cam of my phone.

AllieSF
10-27-2013, 05:12 PM
You know that I have had that same problem sometimes. What I find works the best is one of those long handle large butterfly nets to capture those runaway pictures, or is that runway pictures??

ShriekCassandra
10-27-2013, 09:32 PM
This thread is a great asset to me as I mostly suck at taking my own photos. I use a Canon digital. Hate handheld length pics as the lens is too close to my face and distorts it. Don't have a tripod but can use the windowsill of my room.

Of course you can always cheat a bit and touch up the contrast and colour of the uploaded photos to make you look even more appealing. You can also buy a remote for some cameras that let's you take on the spot instead of messing around with timers.

AllieSF
10-27-2013, 09:43 PM
Shriek, I don't know where you live, but those little purse size mini tripods, some of which have flexible legs that can be shaped to grab onto most small projections can be found in cheap discount stores and probably on eBay for very little cost, less than $10.00. For larger tripods, just keep visiting a lot of thrift stores. Just make sure that the top part is complete and has the little screw to attach your camera to the little camera platform. They can even be cheaper there than a new mini tripod.

Violet-13
10-27-2013, 09:47 PM
I just use a mirror and my cell phone

ericalynn
10-28-2013, 09:38 PM
Cell phone and timer app.

brinda_cd
10-29-2013, 01:55 AM
I always have this problem :(

daviolin
10-29-2013, 08:49 AM
I use the tripod and timer also. But I set the timer on 5 pictures. Push the button, step in front of the camera and move around like a model. You get 5 shots. One of them should look good. It works beautifully for me. Daviolin

JenniferR771
10-29-2013, 11:25 AM
You have a great sense of style, Daviolin, and five at a time is a good idea. It gives us a chance to do five poses. I can pretend I am a model and try some poses I have seen in catalogs or Hollywood magazines. My flash is not strong enough to shoot rapid-fire shots. I have to do those outside in better light.
How about showing us one of your fall outfits? Your favorite pose. Or perhaps a series of five in a row?

daviolin
10-29-2013, 04:05 PM
You have a great sense of style, Daviolin, and five at a time is a good idea. It gives us a chance to do five poses. I can pretend I am a model and try some poses I have seen in catalogs or Hollywood magazines. My flash is not strong enough to shoot rapid-fire shots. I have to do those outside in better light.
How about showing us one of your fall outfits? Your favorite pose. Or perhaps a series of five in a row?
Good idea Jen. I think I will post a 5 shot series, and ask everyone's opinion. Daviolin

rachellegsep
10-29-2013, 05:58 PM
If your camera has a video out (mini jack to yellow RCA) / HDMI out connect it to the tv (set to AV / hdmi input). That way you see what the camera see's. Even better if the camera has a remote. HD camcorders also work well as you can strip individual frames from the recording

Alice Torn
10-29-2013, 06:20 PM
Karren, Great idea. Velco on the back of the camera! I will try this, as my little camera is too round to stand well, and i don't have a tripod. Can't afford a tripod right now, as pumping over a thousand bucks into having a good used engine put in my 76 Dodge.

Renee
10-29-2013, 06:55 PM
Heather, you have been given a lot of great ideas. I take all of my photos myself and use the tripod and camera with a self timer. As others have said smile, have camera above eye level and set camera to multi mode to get several pics of the same session. Another info site that gives great tips on posing that I have seen is www.digital-photography-school.com/women-posing-guide-in-action-7-sample-poses-21-different-photos . Have fun taking those pics and show us some of your wonderful pics.

Amberhea
10-29-2013, 07:30 PM
My wife takes mine, although we've only taken a few of me totally dressed so far. I'm hoping that once I lose a little weight, get a corset and have some day time lighting the few that I have won't be so dark.

rachel_rachel
10-29-2013, 11:05 PM
I was using my camera with the tripod and timer but I was finding my pictures were a little fake..
Now I use my iPhone and a big mirror for selfys or at arms length.

GenderCurious Andrea
10-30-2013, 12:20 AM
Great thread I am going to try most these ideas. I use the web cam attached to my lap top so I can see from the screen photos are ok but lighting is key. The best advice I can give is feel confident your best side is the one you feel comfortable with. good luck I'm sure you will take some great pictures.

sometimes_miss
10-30-2013, 07:22 AM
I think most phones have a video mode, and you can simply set it up running and then go to your 'spot' and do an assortment of poses. Then use vlc media player http://get.videolan.org/vlc/2.1.0/win32/vlc-2.1.0-win32.exe to take snapshots (shift s is for snapshot, you can pause the video where you want it first) of those poses at the specific moment you want and convert them to jpg. It's easier to find the exact point you want if you make it full screen because the play bar is longer and you can isolate the exact point you want. . Be careful to set the vlc settings for jpegs, because I think it defaults to png or some other oddball picture format instead (tools, preferences, video, snapshot, format). Also note, that you will be using up the memory on your phone at a rapid rate, so remember to delete the video from your phone. Hope this helps.

linda allen
10-30-2013, 08:53 AM
A decent digital camera with a self timer and a tripod will get you a bunch of photos. Sometimes you can just set the camera on a shelf or table but a tripod is better.

Photo editing software lets you crop to get closer and to get rid of distracting background objects. It also lets you correct for bad or off colored lighting. Using a flash too near a light colored wall gives you shadows you don't want.

If you want to get serious about it, you can buy books on learning photography. These will give you the best advice.

While we all want to get the best photos possible, the others can help you learn by showing you what you look like to other people. Walk like a man, stand like a man, fown like a man, etc. Photos from the sides or back really tell a lot. Use them as learning tools.

5150 Girl
10-30-2013, 07:38 PM
Self timer and tripod.... However, if you don't have a set of sticks, put camera on a table or a wall, fence, rock, ect..
I've even set my cam on the spoiler on my 'stang.

verytheresa
11-07-2013, 03:06 AM
Wish I could find my data cable for my digital camera. Have to use my phone to upload pictures.

linda allen
11-07-2013, 08:00 AM
If your camera uses an SD card you can take it out and put it in your computer and uplod your photos. Same for many other memory cards, depending on the computer. Of course you can buy external USB card readers as well. Or search the web for a data cable to fit your camera.

TightsLife
11-07-2013, 08:13 AM
careful with the mirror thing, make sure its clean, there are hard water spots all over the mirror in mine, but thats all i could do being there is only a small window open when i am actually able to take them