PDA

View Full Version : Crossdressing...A form of Rebellion?

MysticLady
10-20-2013, 09:35 AM
Hi All

:straightface:

I was pondering the idea. Is crossdressing a rebellion from the normal drab everyday life we experience? Some of us w/ careers, families and responsibilities, Is crossdressing a form of a "jimmy Dean" in us? Since we can't just go out and be young and stupid again, or maybe, but in a more mild, subtle mannered way? Just a brainfart this morning that I thought I'd share and get some opinions on. :p

Sallee
10-20-2013, 09:53 AM
I would agree I think since it goes against the norms of society it is a form of rebellion. I am not sure what I am rebelling against but I am definitely rebelling when I CD

Taylor186
10-20-2013, 10:12 AM
Not for me. My inexplicable drive to crossdress, if anything, is hindered by society's general distaste for it.

MysticLady
10-20-2013, 10:38 AM
if anything, is hindered by society's general distaste for it.

I would call this a ..........rebellion against their thought process.

Nyla F
10-20-2013, 10:38 AM
I imagine for some it may be a form of rebellion. Especially those who are not trying to hide that they are male or those that are blending both genders. I just think that if you are passing as a woman, you are fitting into a social norm (or at least trying to), not rebelling. But since I'm in the closet, I don't know anything about rebelling.

Beverley Sims
10-20-2013, 10:42 AM
Rebellion?
Stop the world, I want to get off! :)

Karren H
10-20-2013, 10:46 AM
what's a rebel without a bras?

Frederika
10-20-2013, 10:59 AM
That's sure for me: I feel close to the Pink Block!:pinktornado:

S. Lisa Smith
10-20-2013, 11:17 AM
Not for me, but YMMV.

Taylor186
10-20-2013, 11:24 AM
I would call this a ..........rebellion against their thought process.

I would agree with this if my crossdressing were a result of society's distaste for it. But my crossdressing has nothing to do with what society thinks.

Christie ann
10-20-2013, 12:53 PM
what's a rebel without a bras?. A rebel with nothing to burn??

docrobbysherry
10-20-2013, 01:03 PM
I would agree with this if my crossdressing were a result of society's distaste for it. But my crossdressing has nothing to do with what society thinks.
I agree completely, Taylor. I'm a closet dresser. Where I dress only for me. And, can dress stress free with absolutely no limits on what I choose to wear or NOT wear!

Society's views only inhibit my desire to go out dressed! Where I must dress to "blend" and meet others dressing standards. I would much prefer the freedom to go out dressed as I like. Much as natal women can and do!

Crissy Kay
10-20-2013, 01:55 PM
Yes, I do believe it is a sort of rebellion against the norms, we as men have to deal with everyday!!

linda allen
10-20-2013, 03:01 PM
Jimmy Dean the late country music singer/sausage maker?

I don't think there's a single reason why people crossdress. I'm not sure we all know why we crossdress.

For those who go out as an obvious "man in a dress" it may be some sort of rebellion. For those who try to look and act like a female, I think there are other reasons.

Pandys
10-20-2013, 03:14 PM
I feel the same, though I do feel that some of the excitement comes from the taboo.

Ressie
10-20-2013, 03:29 PM
Jimmy Dean the late country music singer/sausage maker?

I'm glad someone else caught that. James Dean was the rebel LOL.

CDing isn't a rebellious act for me since I'm a 'stay at home' dresser. People I know that are rebellious like to participate in demonstrations and such. That's not me at all.

stephNE
10-20-2013, 04:57 PM
Hi Victoria, Rebellion? No, but maybe for me it's more like hiding from reality.

Talisker
10-20-2013, 05:09 PM
Yeah there is some rebellion against norms and expectations.
Makes even simple tasks more interesting.... and the clothes aren't drab and boring.

ArleneRaquel
10-20-2013, 05:14 PM
Not in my case. Since a very early age I have desired to at least dress as a woman as often as possible. My current life is a lif long dream come true. :):thumbsup:

Eryn
10-20-2013, 05:15 PM
For me it's not rebellion, but fulfillment of something that is a part of me.

Ineke Vashon
10-20-2013, 08:24 PM
Part of my rebellion is an attempt to distance myself from being a man's man, which I am not. The more important part is that my wearing of feminine apparel is my outward expression of my partially hidden inner being.

Ineke

Amber19
10-20-2013, 08:26 PM
I would agree with the others, less of a rebellion and more of an expression of who you truly are.

Kate Simmons
10-20-2013, 09:10 PM
Not just rebellion Victoria. It's a bit more complicated than that. ;):)

Jilmac
10-20-2013, 09:52 PM
I wouldn't call it rebellion as much as I would non-conforming. I've always been a non-conformist of sorts and my crossdressing is just nother form of my non-conformity.

Phydelia
10-20-2013, 10:06 PM
It may be for some, but i would shy away from that definition myself. It's actually a long-term pet peeve for me. i've had "nonconforming" traits for decades now, wearing long hair and earrings since high school when it helped make me an outcast, and it was never out of a sense of rebellion. It was always just being "me"... if anything, i wished to be "normal", or failing that, have the definition of "normal" expanded to include me.

i think people are too quick to write off outcasts as being "rebellious"... meaning that they act the way they do to protest the status quo. i think relatively few people want to protest anything... they may want to CHANGE it, they may want acceptance, or they may value self-expression over acceptance... But rebellion for its own sake is hollow and goes against the idea of people as self-serving actors.

As a wise man once said, "I'm not anti-anything, I just wanna be free!"

Lorileah
10-20-2013, 11:26 PM
if it was a rebellion you would do it all the time not just on weekends and in your house. That would be sort of a non-rebellious thing. Rebellion requires that you actually do something to make the other "party" notice. Otherwise you are just faking it

GenderCurious Andrea
10-21-2013, 12:17 AM
I think any question of dogmatic, politically correct or social law is rebellious by nature and maybe not in a malicious way but was John Lennon not rebelling when he said "give piece a chance" or Rossa Parks when she sat at the front of the bus. We are pioneers of our own generation if you ask me but that is just how I feel...

Chickhe
10-21-2013, 12:48 AM
The only rebellion I've ever felt was when my wife and I were in costume and we cut through the staff hallway in a radio station/club, ended up behind a stage and crashed a costume party we didn't know was there...

Lynn Marie
10-21-2013, 02:47 AM
I'm pretty much a conservative conformist at heart. Maybe that's why the CDs I hang out with have labeled me the naughty librarian! I resemble their remarks. Jimmy Dean's rebellion got him an early death and a wreaked Porshe spyder.

Cynthia Anne
10-21-2013, 03:07 AM
. A rebel with nothing to burn??
I've been called a rebel all my life! I'll be dammed if I have to burn my bras to prove it!!! Taint' gonna' happen~!

KristyE
10-21-2013, 05:25 AM
I'm pretty deep inthe closet but when out in man mode I will always speak up to anyone talking trash about the LGBTG. Acceptance comes in small steps taken by everyone.

linda allen
10-21-2013, 06:44 AM
If one calls him/herself a "nonconformist" isn't that really just form of conforming?

Tina B.
10-21-2013, 07:15 AM
The first time I put on a slip I was 6 years old, I couldn't spell rebellion I'm pretty sure I didn't know the meaning of the word, and I've never thought about it as a protest, I just dress because the voices in my head tell me to. I call it a compulsion.

Darla
10-21-2013, 07:42 AM
Rebellion? Sure - I'll say that's one word to describe it, as well as non conforming. Growing up a repressed catholic I knew it was "wrong" but had a sense of pride and otherness that I thought no one else had. I guess I was kind of wrong, but gratefully so. I still see what I am as different, and the world pays more lip service to diversity than actually accepts it, but I think it's non rebellion for rebellions sake. Who rebels unless they're oppressed in some way? I'm oppressed by the narrow view of gender constructs, by what so many people see what they think being male or female to be. I woukdsaychallenging the norms, and winning hearts and minds along the way.

BLUE ORCHID
10-21-2013, 08:04 AM
Hi Mystic Lady, It's not a rebellion for me I've been dressing for over 65yrs. , It's just who I am and it's just what I do.

Sarah Beth
10-21-2013, 08:10 AM
I did a lot of things to rebel, against parents, school, other social norms but I never considered my dressing to be a form of rebellion unless I was rebelling against my own best interests. Then I guess a lot of the crazy stuff I did wasn't in my best interest either. Still I don't think I do it to rebel as some of the others have suggested if was going out and flaunting it in others faces it could be rebellion but I'm not its just me here in the confines of my private world.

franlee
10-21-2013, 04:36 PM
Your reasoning could very well explain one part of it for many of us. But the therapeutic and stress relief aspect is my motivation and being rebellious is a strange reward tied to it. LOL I have so many reason to CD I can't count them, but the best is I Enjoy It! Hell, I tie anything positive to it, to justify it and really can't see any negatives. It's all good.

julia marie
10-21-2013, 05:33 PM
Speaking only for myself, yes a bit of rebellion, though not completely. The funny part is that it didn't start out that way. Now I look at my guy clothes and I realize how limited my clothing options have been all these years. So, a touch of rebellion against years of adhering to the blah norms of mens clothing, but a lot of celebrating the joys of skirts, (moderate) heels, and colorful, lightweight blouses.

Jaymees22
10-21-2013, 06:07 PM
I'm a rebel without a clue, why I do what I do. The other rebels I thought about were the Duke Boys but I seem to identify more with Daisy. Hugs Jaymee

Alice B
10-21-2013, 07:40 PM
Not for me either. It is just something I have learned I need to do and love dressing. It is for my pleasure and not a statement about the state of our society.

Kandy Barr
10-21-2013, 07:46 PM
For me it's not rebellion, but fulfillment of something that is a part of me.

Very well said Eryn, I agree totally!

MysticLady
11-05-2013, 01:40 PM
Well, too me it is in a way. I like too be different and I don't like running w/ the pack. I choose to go my own way. Wherever I'll end up, who knows. The only thing I can guarantee you is that, I will die someday and I want too die w/ a smile on my face. That's all. :D

Dianne S
11-05-2013, 03:32 PM
Is crossdressing a rebellion from the normal drab everyday life we experience?

My wife has voiced that theory, but I don't quite buy it. I do it because of something within me. People who rebel usually do it in part because of the effect the rebellion has on others.

MysticLady
11-05-2013, 08:11 PM
Actually Dawn, it is because of what is inside me also, that I choose to be different. So, I push back against the wave. Would that not be a rebel in your eyes?

Dianne S
11-05-2013, 09:24 PM
I guess so. I think of "rebellion" more as something you do to deliberately get a rise out of others or to try to force a social change. I just like to crossdress; I'm not particularly activist and I don't try to shock other people.

Sally Martin
11-05-2013, 10:16 PM
It's hard to rebel when you dress only for yourself, by yourself. For me it's different but I don't know what it is but it makes me happy.