PDA

View Full Version : Now that's acceptance!

PretzelGirl
10-20-2013, 08:41 PM
I am a regular dresser and get out a lot. Last weekend, I needed to go to the grocery store to pick up a prescription and I realized I had never been there as Sue as I always go on the way home from work. I do go there often, so I know everyone and talk with them regularly. I got there and they were very busy, so I usually don't get talkative with them when it is like that. They hadn't yet filled one prescription, so I went twice and there was completely different people working on each trip. Nothing was said, so it was a hard read. But I was basically out to the entire team other than the manager.

Today I had to go back. I walked in and there was only two of them working and no other customers in sight. I walked up and as soon as I did, one walked over and goes "I hope you don't mind us asking, but what do we call you when you look the other way as we don't want to call out your name?". I thanked them for being open minded and considerate and told them they could call me Sue. Then they talked about how everyone should be who they want and we talked for a bit more.

The two things I took from it (and left a few tears when I left) is that it is a great group and it always seems to be that way. People are generally good and I do love to share things like this as I think we tell the negative stories more often. The other was that they must have discussed this after last week since they asked as soon as I came in. So two or more of them must have wondered what to call me and had the consideration to ask. That is probably a little more rare.

NathalieX66
10-20-2013, 08:52 PM
Ain't that the greatest?

I feel so comfortable when I'm out and in the public eye, but getting here was not easy. It took me 2-3 years to get to that point. We test the thresh hold of public acceptance, and often discover that the battle is in our own heads. I think my best story as of late was flying en femme last month from Atlanta to Baltimore, and I left my car at the long term parking lot at BWI airport. I was wearing a floral dress and a crop sweater. The bus from the baggage area to the lot was so crowded and standing room only, and people were offering me their seats. Even on the plane, I was conversing to the people next to me.

This is why I gave up support groups, special CD/TG events. I like the public environment so much better. Yes! it is possible, and we are out there!

Launa
10-20-2013, 08:54 PM
About 2 months ago I went out for a full 3 days as Launa and everyone was generally good to me too.

It was a real eye opener to see that nobody cared.

Beverley Sims
10-21-2013, 12:32 AM
Like you I have been surprised by others reactions sometimes.

Pandys
10-21-2013, 12:35 AM
It would be nice to believe that the same would happen here, but the small town I am from I doubt it.

Cynthia Anne
10-21-2013, 03:32 AM
That's a great story and I thank you for sharing it!

sandra-leigh
10-21-2013, 03:59 AM
The pharmacist / owner of the drugstore I use still always refers to me as "Mr. ________", even when I am clearly in a dress or whatever. And this is the pharmacy that filled all of my anti-androgens and estradiol, so it's not like they had no way to know.

Sigh. Next time I see the owner there and not swamped, I will have a quiet word with him. I know he isn't trying to be mean: he is of an older generation where you just always used honorifics.

KristyE
10-21-2013, 05:04 AM
That was wonderful! Some day when I go out I hope to find that kind of acceptance.
Love Kristy

Marcelle
10-21-2013, 05:16 AM
What a great story Sue. It is nice to know that acceptance is out there . . . hopefully I can find some in my little corner of the world.

Hugs

Isha

PretzelGirl
10-21-2013, 05:55 AM
I believe there is some in every corner of the world. It is tough to make that leap to see if it is there, so I understand how hard it can be to go out and expect it. But I think people in general are good everywhere.

BLUE ORCHID
10-21-2013, 08:23 AM
Hi Sue, Now that's real customer service.

franlee
10-21-2013, 04:41 PM
Sue you have a great store and sales assistance to trade with. And I was so glad you expressed thanks for their concerns and demeanor. Congratulations!

Alice B
10-21-2013, 04:57 PM
Very good Sue. You have set the bar a little higher for the rest of us.

Barbara Ella
10-21-2013, 05:36 PM
Such a great story to read Sue. You have an excellent store and staff there. Hope you let them know what a treasure they really are. I am sure you have a lot to do with their attitude also. keep it up girl.

Barbara

Vanessa01
10-21-2013, 06:42 PM
great story, happy for you

CarleyK
10-21-2013, 06:49 PM
From my experience, there are quite a few people that are Hip to us dressing. There are some that do react and they can spoil a good outing. Really though, most of it is in our heads, and mannerisms.

kimdl93
10-21-2013, 07:15 PM
it's nice that the pharmacy staff were considerate enough to ask your name. I've had the same general experience. Most people are genuinely friendly and understanding.

Mssusan
10-21-2013, 07:25 PM
That's great! It kind of reaffirms ones faith in people doesn't it?

DianeDeBris
10-21-2013, 08:23 PM
It's a wonderful story, Sue, and speaks well of the kind of person they already knew you to be in your conventional presentation as well. Most members here would not have reason to know the social climate in our part of the world, so these reactions are even more wonderful than they appear at first. Hugs - Diane
BTW - I love your new avatar photo!!!

PretzelGirl
10-21-2013, 09:23 PM
Such a great story to read Sue. You have an excellent store and staff there. Hope you let them know what a treasure they really are. I am sure you have a lot to do with their attitude also. keep it up girl.
Barbara

They are a great group and always nice to talk with. I shouldn't expect anything less of them, but it always a good feeling to have expectations validated.

it's nice that the pharmacy staff were considerate enough to ask your name. I've had the same general experience. Most people are genuinely friendly and understanding.

I always believe that of people too Kim. If you treat people how you want to be treated, you will get it back most of the time. The fact that they asked for my name showing caring, consideration, and some knowledge. That is what touched me the most.

It's a wonderful story, Sue, and speaks well of the kind of person they already knew you to be in your conventional presentation as well. Most members here would not have reason to know the social climate in our part of the world, so these reactions are even more wonderful than they appear at first. Hugs - Diane
BTW - I love your new avatar photo!!!

Diane, I love my little part of the world. I haven't had a single issue yet. And thank you for your comment on the picture. I love that one myself.

Very good Sue. You have set the bar a little higher for the rest of us.

Alice, my bar is still chasing yours. You engage people in a way that just puts everyone at ease. I have certainly learned from it.

Anne2345
10-21-2013, 09:58 PM
That's a wonderful story, Sue!! :-)

Rogina B
10-21-2013, 10:02 PM
Afew weeks back the BOA teller "quietly" said to me"You switch back and forth a lot..what do you prefer to be called?" I could have been a wiseass,but I just said"Rogina,or Roger,whatever works at the time".