PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

croix238
10-21-2013, 01:09 PM
Just beginning my journey. ..and apprehensive about walking into a lingerie shop to buy my first panties and bra.

Im not sure of my sizing...so is it permissible to try things on?

I want something satiny & sexy. Would love to hear any suggestions, things to avoid, good places to shop, etc. Im in Minneapolis.

Thanks in advance!

Abbey11
10-21-2013, 01:55 PM
Hi croix283
Like you I have just joined the forum and today bought my first bra, a red satin bra with black lace, didn't have the nerve to ask to try it on, did do some research on the internet, google 'bra sizing', to try and figure out the sizing and having tried it on at home seem to have got it about right

Happy shopping
Abbey

Kate Simmons
10-21-2013, 02:01 PM
It depends on the particular shop I guess. Just ask. The worse they can say is "no". :)

Beverley Sims
10-21-2013, 02:05 PM
Welcome to the forum and the start of your journey.
I think when starting out a little decorum is in order.
Until you get practiced at buying lingerie and not feeling like a deer caught in the headlights, just buy.
Girls on occasions get fitted for bras but they usually do not try panties on.
Others will have some good advice for you so read away and enjoy.
You need to find a feminine name as it is hard calling you "Hey You".

croix238
10-21-2013, 02:11 PM
Thanks Abbey!

Good thoughts. Though I confess I'm less nervous about trying a bra on than panties and sizing them right.

Can I ask how big you are and what size bra you bought?

I'll bet you're smashing in the red satin!

Thanks again!

Michele

Thanks Beverly...all great advice!

You're exactly right with the deer & headlights feeling!

Michele

Abbey11
10-21-2013, 02:28 PM
I went for a 40C, fits my chest nicely and with ample bussom

croix238
10-21-2013, 02:35 PM
Thank you! That helps.

Michele

Cheryl T
10-21-2013, 04:57 PM
Since most states have strict health laws you would not be able to try on panties. If you purchase them you can't return them either for the same reason unless the packaging is unopened. Bras on the other hand can be tried on and you can go for a fitting if you have the courage. Otherwise just use the measurement tools on many lingerie websites to determine your bra size and try an inexpensive one just to be sure first.
Panties, well you can use the fit charts, but remember that they are cut for women with bigger hips and bums than the average male. I would suggest going mainly by your waist size and then perhaps going a size smaller as well for your first purchase.
Don't forget too that the sizes run different from brand to brand and sometimes within the same brand. I have panties by Breezies and one style is a 6, another is a 5 and the third is a medium. It's never easy...

dusktreader
10-21-2013, 05:14 PM
Croix238, before you buy a bra, you should take measurements of your chest. There are several websites that can guide you on how to do that, just google it. You will need a cloth measuring tape. The good news is that you can take a bra back if it doesn't fit. Panties on the other hand, you just need to figure out your size. I would raid the cheap bins at Target. You can find lots of cute stretchy satiny panties there for pretty cheap. I have a 36 inch waist (guy measurement), and I buy large to extra large panties (or a size 7 if they are numbered). Don't blow a bunch of money on panties that are tiny and cute! Buy some in a bikini cut and stretchy. The nylon/spandex blend materials feel very nice and stretch nicely.

Most of all, have fun on your trip. Don't worry about people suspecting you. They will either not care what you are doing or assume you are buying for a special girl in your life. The more you go shopping, the more natural it feels, so, like many things, you'll get better with practice!

Pandys
10-21-2013, 05:26 PM
The first set I bought from Victoria Secret I told the SA that I was buying a gift for my wife. I pointed out someone my size and told her she was about that build. I doubt I fooled her but it made my first purchase a bit easier.

Lillyasia
10-21-2013, 06:46 PM
Welcome Croix238,

Big thing to remember is to relax. You'll draw attention to yourself quicker than an alarm going off if you act nervous.

The stores are there to sell your something (get your money) and your are there to buy something (give them money). It's that easy. Problem is there are shoplifters out there and the stores are more concerned with them than what you are buying. So if you act nervous you wind up getting noticed as the suspicious person and keep an eye on him. If approached by a sales associate, tell them you are shopping for yourself but do not know your size and would like to try on the bra. I don't know if you can try on panties as it's a health concern. If they allow it, please keep your underwear on.

You will be in for a major shock...most of the S/A's have been asked this before and are more than willing to accomodate you. In fact, most seem to go out of their way to treat you with exceptional service. If you happen to get one that is cold, then thank them and walk away. You're not doing anything wrong. All you are doing is trying to buy some clothes. That's it.

I suggest a major department store as they will have trained their S/A's in how to deal with the situation. Plus the slightly higher prices keeps away the problematic customer you may encounter at a deep discount place like WMT. You're more likely to run into a customer that will be unaccepting than a sales associate.

Enjoy the experience and let us know how it goes. You will enjoy it and each shopping experience gets easier and easier, except on the wallet.

ericalynn
10-22-2013, 05:42 PM
I went for a 40C, fits my chest nicely and with ample bussom
I'm new to the group, too, and I also selected a 40C for my first bra. It just seems to fit well.

cdxmatty
10-22-2013, 07:20 PM
Lilly is right, it's all about confidence and being relaxed if you go into a department store and are pacing around and sweating like a tweeker you will only drag attention to yourself just relax and have fun. search google for a specialty store that cater to cd community

julia marie
10-22-2013, 07:29 PM
Welcome to the newbies. HAVE FUN. Use the websites to get a bra size. Then do walmart or someplace else to get (maybe try on if you're up for it) a first bra. In any case, the risk is low ($10 to $13) to figure out if you measured right. Really nervous? Go to a wallie world that has self checkout. If there isn't a self check near you, just go through a regular cashier. They're used to us. Panties? Same thing, use the web guidelines for sizing. Then buy a couple pairs in your size range. Don't spend a lot. But, of course, think whether you want silky or lacy. Like walmart bras, they aren't expensive, so if one size doesnt fit, it isn't the end of the world.

Jilmac
10-22-2013, 09:59 PM
If you're in rhe experimental stages, what I would recommend is starting at a store like TJ Maxx, Marshalls, or Burlington Coat Factory. Their prices are somewhat cheaper than your typical lingerie store and they also allow try ons. I knoe from experience that women's sizes vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and that includes lingerie. Men's boxers and briefs are sized by waist, i.e. 34, 36, 38 etc, whereas womens panties use a numbering system to represent small. medium, large,etc. Womens small usually start at size 5 and continues numerically. However some panties have letter sizes, S,M,L, etc. If you're unsuer of the proper panty size try to visualize what your boxer or brief size is and try on something that you think might fit.

For a bra measurement measure your chest with a good tailors tape measure. Hold the tape level around your chest just below the nipple and read the sie in inches. This will be your band size. Then you can determine what cup size you want for the most feminine look. Again try it on and make necessary adjustments in the fitting room. Good luck shopping.

Laura Collette
12-02-2013, 01:04 PM
I have a couple of bras size 36C that I really don't fill completely so I'm thinking about buying a 36B to see if that will keep the straps from falling off my shoulders. Does that sound like it might work? I don't care if it makes my bust smaller because then I could underdress with it more easily. The straps falling off is the main problem.
The panties I bought many years ago are low rise, probably a couple sizes too small, and I fall out of them immediately. Is that a common problem? Or would a larger size or different style panty hold me in more securely? This is a non sequitur I know. I've been looking on line at "boy short" panties which often have a lacy trim and a very short "leg" that hugs the tops of the thighs. Any advice on this?

SANDRA MICHELLE
12-03-2013, 05:24 PM
Go to any department store and scoop up some bras that you like and go into the fitting rooms and try them on. Trust me it is not against the law and any store will be happy to take your money. If you want help from a sales girl go to Victoria Secret, they will look you over and they are really good at guessing what size to give you to try on. They will bring you as many bras as you want in as many styles and colors. I have done it ion several of the VS stores around chicagoland and have never been happier with the help I have been given. Oh and try on some dresses at the store just to see how the total package would look, while you are at it get a pair of shoes to see how you look in heels. Go for it "newbie", you won't be sorry and you will have lot's of fun.