PDA

View Full Version : Visiting the Makeup Counter

Robyn B
12-30-2005, 01:02 AM
I think it’s time I upgraded my makeup – specifically my foundation/concealer, so I am considering a visit to a mall-quality makeup counter to get color matched and solicit some professional advice. This is new territory for me, and quite a bit more awkward than buying some Cover Girl at the local drugstore. I’ll be doing this in my male persona, by the way.

When I buy heels, you know how you can drop a comment like “what’s your return policy”, which interjects just enough doubt into a salespersons mind to give you the confidence to go through with the purchase? How about a line like “I am going to be in a Company video, and they suggested I do something to even out my complexion”. I guess it is not really important if it is believed or not – it simply makes me feel more confident about the whole process.

Am I over-analyzing this? Also, would like your opinion about good makeup lines – I’m under the impression MAC is great for those of us who need good coverage, but I sure do like the Clinique gift with purchases I see in the papers!

Mitzi
12-30-2005, 02:10 AM
My only experience in that area was at a local Penney's cosmetics counter. I needed beard cover and couldn't find the one I normally use, so decided to buy some Dermablend at Penneys. Fortunately there weren't many people around (I was in guy mode), so I swallowed hard and just asked the sales girl for a beard cover, telling her I was a CD. She said she had a number of CD regulars, and proceeded to try different shades to match my complexion. She said to come back dressed and she'd give me a free makeover. Wow!!

I did go back dressed, with full makeup. She recognized me and said I really looked good, and didn't offer the free makeover. Guess she figured I did good enough job on my own, at least that's what I 'd like to think....

I visited her a few times en femme, bought some more beard cover, and always got a warm hug. Unfortunately, our Penneys got rid of the cosmetic counter, and I haven't seen her since.

Mitzi

monicawyer
12-30-2005, 06:26 AM
Hi Robyn,

Be honest with them about who and what you are. They won't bat an eyelid and will more than likely give you extra attention as you're probably making their day just a little more interesting than normal. I buy my Mac stuff (which is really good) from Selfridges in London and the girls there are fantastic. If you're honest with them you're also more likely to go away with the correct stuff. Mx

renee k
12-30-2005, 06:55 AM
Hi Robyn,

I too, had a wonderful experience at the MAC counter. Just as Monica said, be up front with them and they'll take care of your needs. Also in my area there's a Merle Norman store that caters to CD's aswell. Don't be shy you'll love the experience.

Huggs, Renee

Jonien
12-30-2005, 08:13 AM
It was Christmas eve when I found the lip color I was looking for a L'oreal 102 satin pink Invincible Kiss proof.
but when I got home I found that it had dry-ed out so yesterday I returned to the shop and had to explain the problem to the check out girl she past me onto the floor walker I then had to explain again she then past me onto a manager and I had to explain once again and she was telling me that it was probably my wife had left the cap of and was not willing to replace it ( I must point out at this point that I did not have a wig on or any makeup) at this point I had to explain that it was mine and it was dry from the start now it was the managers time to feel embarrass as my jacket fell open and revealed my boobies she then changed it and apologized and called me madam I left with a smile.
My point in telling you this girls don't get inbarrest just have fun shop staff are there to serve

S. Lisa Smith
12-30-2005, 08:32 AM
Call ahead to a nearby Merle Norman. If they are anything like the ones near me, it will be no problem, plus they are a little more private than a department store. I have done the sit in the chair in the department store version also and I had no problems, but I just like MN better. Another choice would be a Mary Kay lady and that would be the most private and you would get the same individualized service. Good luck and have a lot of fun!

Billijo49504
12-30-2005, 10:00 AM
Lisa, the Merl Norman here told me,WE DON"T DO MEN!! :thumbsdn: and hung up. I guess all 3 stores are owned by the same folks. All 3 same policy..BJ

Andrea's Lynne
12-30-2005, 10:29 AM
I was also intrigued by the "bonus" stuff you see in the paper from Clinique. I screwed up my courage one weekend and went to the makeup counter and asked for a full coverage foundation for myself.

The saleslady was absolutely wonderful, and I got a nice "goody bag" with my foundation.....2 lipsticks, mascara, some eye shadows and makeup remover.......all for ~$26!

Give it a try, you'll love it.

S. Lisa Smith
12-30-2005, 11:18 AM
Lisa, the Merl Norman here told me,WE DON"T DO MEN!! :thumbsdn: and hung up. I guess all 3 stores are owned by the same folks. All 3 same policy..BJ
Wow, not my experence at all. What jerks!

DonnaT
12-30-2005, 05:45 PM
Merle Norman and MAC, here in VA, have no problem with doing men. Heck I've seen men, in drab, getting a makeover in Hecht's. In Macy's one of the counter sales persons was a man and he wore full makeup. I talked makeup with a couple of different girls at the Prescriptive's counters in both stores.

Stand up for yourself, and just go to a counter and ask. If they say no, go to another counter. Department stores like Hecht's and Macy's have several different makeup counters, and at least one will agree to help. Question is, are you brave enough?

BeckyCath
12-30-2005, 05:57 PM
It's got to be MAC, i didn't find Clinique provided the coverage...

MAC should be fine, i know they are in Debenhams in Milton Keynes (UK), and the combination of studio tech creme foundation and studio fix powder gives me great coverage...

Shop around, but most companys are after money, and they will take it from who ever is prepared to give it... I've been to MAC in MK plenty of times, but only been in there in drab once, i've always gone dressed since that first time in drab!

Hope you find what you want, and you have a fabulous time whilst out shopping for cosmetics

Happy New Year

Rebecca

Rikki Elisabeth
12-30-2005, 07:39 PM
I have gone both en drab and en femme. I personally like Chanel. Clinque is good. The sales help are really great - just be truthful with them and they can help pick really good cosmetics for you skin tone, your skin texture, dry, oily, etc. Colors with your eyes and skin are very complimentary.

Go for it!

rexy
12-30-2005, 08:55 PM
My dear girl i went to a local mall and went into a dept. store in my area and the saleswomen was just great. Told her what i was looking for ,she was a great help.was a clinique counter.love there makeup[ .......:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I think it’s time I upgraded my makeup – specifically my foundation/concealer, so I am considering a visit to a mall-quality makeup counter to get color matched and solicit some professional advice. This is new territory for me, and quite a bit more awkward than buying some Cover Girl at the local drugstore. I’ll be doing this in my male persona, by the way.

When I buy heels, you know how you can drop a comment like “what’s your return policy”, which interjects just enough doubt into a salespersons mind to give you the confidence to go through with the purchase? How about a line like “I am going to be in a Company video, and they suggested I do something to even out my complexion”. I guess it is not really important if it is believed or not – it simply makes me feel more confident about the whole process.

Am I over-analyzing this? Also, would like your opinion about good makeup lines – I’m under the impression MAC is great for those of us who need good coverage, but I sure do like the Clinique gift with purchases I see in the papers!

VeronicaMoonlit
12-30-2005, 11:00 PM
I find it very hard to think of a single store that sells women's products that will not have dealt with a CDer... unless it's their first day in business.

Hmm this sentence is familiar....

Hi Laura!

Veronica

It was Christmas eve when I found the lip color I was looking for a L'oreal 102 satin pink Invincible Kiss proof.
but when I got home I found that it had dry-ed out

Ahh, that stuff is normally dry, that's it's normal texture, truly. They need to send it back to the laboratory for more work.

Veronica

A Merle Norman here in Central Illinois had the same policy some years back, stated in person. Don't know if it's still the case though.

Veronica

MistyCD
12-31-2005, 01:38 PM
I ended up going with my wife who does not know about Misty one day while she tried on some makeup... The display vaguely reminded me of the Starship Enterprises bridge, with all the plastic colored displays, so I sat down at it. My wife said "don't sit there"... and in my best immatation voice of Ens Checkov I replied " EI Kaptain, Klingon Bird Of Prey de cloaking...firing phasors and photon torpedoes!!! My Wife just started giggling, I burst out laughing and the sales lady just stood there as if frozen.... :D :D :D

ReginaK
01-01-2006, 10:58 PM
I ended up going with my wife who does not know about Misty one day while she tried on some makeup... The display vaguely reminded me of the Starship Enterprises bridge, with all the plastic colored displays, so I sat down at it. My wife said "don't sit there"... and in my best immatation voice of Ens Checkov I replied " EI Kaptain, Klingon Bird Of Prey de cloaking...firing phasors and photon torpedoes!!! My Wife just started giggling, I burst out laughing and the sales lady just stood there as if frozen.... :D :D :D

:lol: I would have paid to see that.

Joanie B
01-02-2006, 12:40 AM
For several years I did the drugstore and discount store make-up thing and for certain items I still do. BUT, about a year ago I splurged and went in drab with a TS friend to the MAC store at a mall. They were super and their foundation and powder are outstanding. My old male complexion looks much smoother and more passable. I used to make excuses at stores but now I just tell the salespeople what I need and it always turns into a pleasant conversation. I think in our own little encounters like this we also show society that TG folks are really pretty normal.

Hi,
I have had the same experience with drugstore cosmetics and am wanting a better beard cover too. How do I find a store that sells MAC? I have never seen it around Chicago land......do u know which dept stores sell it? or is it a stand alone franchise? Should I call ahead to make an apppointment or just show up? When is the best time to avoid crowds, especialy teens or families with children (assuming its at a mall)?

Also, is it better to go in drab so they can see your true complexion, or go en femee already made up?

Thanks for your help.

Joanie

renee k
01-02-2006, 01:36 AM
Hi Joanie,

Most department stores, like Marshall's, Macy's, Nordstroms, have MAC counters. I'm sure you can find one of the aforementioned department stores in Chicago. I love MAC, the foundation is great. Lots of coverage goes on smooth. And lots of variety in shades to match to your skin color. And the counter people are very helpful. Everytime I've shopped there, I've had a pleasant experience. The quality of there product is well worth the price.

Huggs, Renee

renee k
01-02-2006, 01:46 AM
Hi Joanie,

One other point. The first time I went was without make up. Just to get a good match to my skin. The second time around I had a makeover done. Which was quite a learning experience. She showed me a few new techniques.Plus I've been back for evening makeup, and one other time to update my look for fall and winter. Alll in all a great experience.

Renee

kathy gg
01-02-2006, 01:10 PM
I wanted to recommend MAC as well. And mention one other comment in regards to it. It depends on the size of the city you live, but some MAC stores (even those in malls) will have a private area in the back for make over sessions. I know MAC stores up here in Canada do make up for bridal parties and other special events, hence the extra privacy. It migh not hurt to call ahead to see if the store near you has such a thing.

As for Clinique, it is more of a sheer make up, even the one line that is suposed to have the best coverage. I personally like a good covering foundation and found Clinique to be too sheer, even for me (covering up reddyness).

If you don't have a MAC store near you I know Lancome has a some better lines that are good at heaveir coverage. Also Christian Dior has (or had one) that was pretty good.

Also the story you want to use....um...just be honest. You dont' have to go into an elaborate story. Most women who work at makeup counters are not their to judge you. They are there to sell a product.

Good luck!

Kathy

Robyn B
01-02-2006, 10:16 PM
What wonderful advice from all of you! Hearing you experiences is just what I needed to climb up in that cosmetics chair. And based on your comments, MAC is probably the line for me.....but hey, why not non-foundation stuff from Clinique as well during gift time - best of both worlds!

Special note to MistyCD -- Thanks for the laugh! I've thought the same thing!

kwebb
01-02-2006, 10:39 PM
I went once to get some compact powder for an outing almost 3 years ago. I told the lady it was for my wife. She said ok, but I'll have to sit you down if she is about your color to put this on and make sure tis a match. You don't mind do you?
Sitting in that chair is a feeling I will take to the grave, wow. And it only took a lil dab, I can only imagine what its like to sit there and get ALL done up.

Christina Nicole
01-03-2006, 12:24 PM
What Kathy said about Clinique's foundation goes for all of their products. All of their makeup seems to be more lightly pigmented than the other brands. Since they all do a GWP at some time or another, you might also want to look at and try them too.

Lancome is beginning to open stand-alone stores where you can try makeup in a private room. Merle Norman also has private rooms available in some locations. Many salons and spas sell good quality makeup and have private rooms.

Personally, I found MAC makeup to be far too heavy and masque-like. Lancome was a better department store brand for me. Don't settle on a brand and spend a pile of money until you try a few different ones. Good makeup is expensive. When you consider a foundation is at least $30 plus another $25 or so for powder and $17 for lipstick, etc and some skin care products, you will leave behind a few hundred dollars.

Which reminds me. Don't do the CD thing and only buy makeup. You need a good skin care regimen that you use every day. That means at a minimum, a cleanser and a moisturizer. If you get a lot of sun, add something with SPF.

Also, do not overbuy makeup. Most makeup does not last forever. MAC, etc all have biocides in them as preservatives to prevent the formation of bacteria colonies. Thus the products have a limited life once opened. Expect to throw away unused product after three or so months. It is better to buy an eyeshadow every now and then, for example, so you always have a basic color and a few fashion colors rather than a huge number of colors that have to be replaced every few months. This is another plus of mineral makeup like Bare Escentuals (http://www.bareescentuals.com/) and Jane Iredale (http://www.janeiredale.com/) -- minerals do not support the growth of bacteria.

Warm regards,
Christina Nicole

DonnaT
01-03-2006, 12:34 PM
Joanie, their website will provide a list of locations in your area.

http://www.maccosmetics.com/templates/door/finder.tmpl

Some are counters in other department stores and some are stand alone. The stand alone ones will usually take an appointment for a makeover. Sometime/most times there is a fee, but the fee is usually waived or put toward your purchases if you by the products they use.

I understand that MAC full coverage foundation is the best for beard cover, but only available online or at a stand alone store.

I don't use MAC, as I've found a covergirl concealer with a l'oreal foundation are adequate for my needs since I don't have a heavy beard.

Eileen
01-03-2006, 01:29 PM
Robyn,

Just be yourself and tell the clerk you are a CD. You will not, in all likely hood be the first. If the clerk is good, you will receive a lot of help. It not go on to another store.

Eileen